Driving to WDW - Day trips near I-95

imaaron93

Original Poster
:wave: This Spring we're driving straight through to WDW from NJ via I-95. On the way back we want to take our time and are looking for some daytrips or other fun/interesting things to do, i.e. kid-friendly museums, aquariums, state parks, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Floridasunshine

Cumberland island is cool if you are able to devote a whole day and walk a lot... It is a national seashore island and they only allow something like 200 visitors on the island each day. It is where JFK Jr. was married. There are ruins of old estates and fortresses on the island. A lot of wild horses and wildlife,,,but there are no outsider cars allowed.... it is all walking in the park area. Not sure about the residents area or if visitors are even allowed there. There are no stores so you have to pack a picnic lunch and drinks if you want them.

You have to ride a ferry to the island out of St. Mary's GA . The ferry ride itself is real nice, about a 45 minute trip each way. Dolphins swam beside the ferry and jumped beside us when we went. http://www.stmaryswelcome.com/cumberland.html

Savannah GA is real nice too,,,very historic and quaint.

Guana River State park in Florida near Ponte Vedra Beach is nice as well as Fernandina Beach, FL. St. Augustine FL is a not-to-miss day trip also. Very historic, quaint and fun.

Florida has many natural springs too... I am not sure which ones are off of I95 though... I know there is a really nice one near Apopka FL (Wekiva Springs) which is about 30-45 min north of Orlando. The pictures do not do the Florida springs justice... never have you seen clearer water. It is very cold though,,,,around 72 degrees all year long. Some of the springs have manatee habitats and viewing areas. http://underwaterflorida.homestead.com/springs.html

Have fun!

Floridasunshine

oh yeah, forgot to add that Jacksonville can be very nice for touring too... Downtown we have the "Landing" which is a beautiful shopping mall & restaurant area right on the beautiful St. John's River. It is nice to eat there at night while there is a band or jazz group playing and watch the fountains across the river. We have a nice zoo and several other museums and parks.

We also have the monorail to take you across the river to the Museum of Science and Natural History... It is geared towards kids with a lot of interactive activities and a planetarium.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
there's all of the history in Washington, DC; the Poe museum/shrine and the Civil War Visitors Center in Richmond, VA; there's Hilton Head Island, SC.... tons of stuff to do, just look

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom