Driving to the parks?

Marc Levin

After having what can best be described as a "functional" experience last time with Disney transportion we're renting a car for our upcoming trip in April with the aim of maximising park time and cutting down on travel time.

On the surface this seems like a win win as we don't need to wait to be packed onto crowded buses, and from what I can tell they have car parks dotted around our resort (CBR) so should be able to park fairly close to the room, but I'm wondering how realistic it actually is to drive and park at the parks the week before Easter?

Am I likely to spend my morning stuck in a line of cars trying to get into the car parks only to find them full up, or should this hopefully be a comparatively painless experience?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Comparatively painful . Spring break crowds have already started.
  • April 1-7 - lighter crowds to start off April, just before the busy Easter crowds begin
  • April 8-16 - Easter week, one of the busiest weeks of the year at Disney World
  • April 17-26 - Disney World is usually busy the week after Easter, but we looked at dozens and dozens of the largest school districts and almost none of them have this week off in 2017, likely due to Easter falling so late in April

Any car trip to Magic Kingdom is a wast of time since the buses drop you off near the turnstiles, but the car drivers have to tram and then monorail or Ferry over to the same spots the bus drops you off.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Timing is everything. If you are onsite, I would use the bus to MK simply because it is faster than parking at TTC, monorail/ferry. As for the other parks, there is NO possible way for a bus to beat you to the park.

With that said, timing is key. If you leave to go to the park after everyone else has, you are going to be parking way in the back, walking more, and already behind the crowds. To drive, you need to be there early. We always get there an hour before rope drop. Its just the way we roll. I would rather be waiting to get in, get the big rides out early, and watch the others standing in 1 hour lines instead of in it myself.

Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

We are planning on driving to the parks. We are still out on MK, simply because I may want my kids to ride the Monorail at least once. We are going to MK 2x, so we will see what we decide then. From what I remember of the buses, the car will be easier for my stress levels. :)

Upvote 0

WildcatDen

@lentesta , do you see an potential uptick in Crowd Levels the week of 5/15 or 5/22 with the soft openings leading up to Pandora on 5/27? We are driving down and I am curious what the experts have to say.

As for driving, we do typically drive but then use internal transportation.

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
@lentesta , do you see an potential uptick in Crowd Levels the week of 5/15 or 5/22 with the soft openings leading up to Pandora on 5/27? We are driving down and I am curious what the experts have to say.

As for driving, we do typically drive but then use internal transportation.

Yes, mainly from locals who can take advantage of a soft open quickly.

Upvote 0

WildcatDen

Yes, mainly from locals who can take advantage of a soft open quickly.
Thanks. So, 7 and 8 for AK those weeks? Will that spill over to the other parks at all. We were really hoping to beat the Summer Rush by going prior to Memorial Day and get a few days at 6 or under. . . .

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
Thanks. So, 7 and 8 for AK those weeks? Will that spill over to the other parks at all. We were really hoping to beat the Summer Rush by going prior to Memorial Day and get a few days at 6 or under. . . .

I'd say the AK will be 9s or 10s those weeks. I don't expect much spillover. If anything, it may draw from other parks.

Upvote 0

RMichael21

April 17-26 - Disney World is usually busy the week after Easter, but we looked at dozens and dozens of the largest school districts and almost none of them have this week off in 2017, likely due to Easter falling so late in April
Actually, most public schools in Massachusetts and the surrounding New England states (at least to my knowledge) have off that week, haha.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom