Driving shortcuts from the Northeast?

slappy magoo

Hey there hi there ho there...

Less than a week to go. As soon as my GF's school lets out Thursday afternoon (how many times do I have to keep telling you all: She's a TEACHER! I'm not a sick disgusting man! JEEZ!) :D we're on our way. She's a few miles away from I-95, so I'm figuring there's nothing else that needs doing. I-95 to 4, simple as pie.

But I wondered if there were any shortcuts along the way, mainly, if there are places to avoid traffic buildups. I've only ever driven up from Orlando once, and never down (avoiding one of last year's hurricanes after the parks and airports closed all Labor Day Weekend). Anyone have any tips?

AEfx

I've done the Boston-Orlando run several times by vehicle for different reasons. It's not so bad, and if you stay on I-95 you can't get lost, and there is always some place to stop for rests.

Since you are already in Jersey, you have avoided most of the major bottlenecks. Leaving there in the late afternoon means you will be hitting DC/Philly during the night, which is a good thing, 'cause that's the next major area of contention.

Once you get into the Carolina's (wave to the day-glo shopping city by the highway - I always forget what it's called) it's pretty smooth sailing, as I-95 avoids most of the other cities.

These days, with Jet Blue, I find it cheaper to fly. When I can get those nice $59/$69 and, occasionally, $49 one-way fares, it's cheaper than gas, let alone the wear and tear on the car.

However, driving to WDW can be a magical trip in itself. Be safe, and have fun!

AEfx

Upvote 0

Robfasto

AEfx said:
Once you get into the Carolina's (wave to the day-glo shopping city by the highway - I always forget what it's called) it's pretty smooth sailing, as I-95 avoids most of the other cities.

Would that be South of the Border?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Robfasto said:
Would that be South of the Border?

:sohappy: We love South Of the Border!!!

We are leaving for Florida on Wednesday! (but not WDW... thats August)

I'm north of NYC so I don't have to worry about that. We'll leave about 4 pm and stop for dinner in NJ. Then we'll head to Dumfries VA (by Quantico) and stop for the night.

We've tried leaving early, midday and late at night... this works best for us.
We usually drive down twice a year so we've got it down to a science.
Seems like everytime we plan a trip the price of gas goes up. Luckily we get great gas milage on our van so its not too bad.

AEfx, Jet Blue is great, but in order for us to take advantage of it we have to drive into NYC to Kennedy... we could be to Philly by then. :lol: They are talking about starting service to our local airport (Stewart) and if that happens we may start to fly again.

Upvote 0

Tinkrbell

Gail Hayden said:
As to fuel prices, hang around a few days and tell me which is less expensive. My local gas stations went up twice today. It is now at 2.159 per gallon.
You are so much luckier than a lot of people, here in Milwaukee, gas prices jumped to $2.299 per gallon yesterday.

Upvote 0

Robfasto

Tinkrbell said:
You are so much luckier than a lot of people, here in Milwaukee, gas prices jumped to $2.299 per gallon yesterday.

Yep, then think about the people out of the country who are paying 2x more than that. I don't worry much about the prices. Even if the prices go up to $2.50 from where it was on my last trip to Florida at $1.75 it only cost me an extra $40.00 or so... I can handle that as the only other option would be not to go to Disney and it is worth a bit extra to enjoy the Magic.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
ClemsonTigger said:
You have to bear with me for a bit, and get out your map and follow along, as what I'm going to suggest will seem out of the way. I suggest you avoid 95 all the way, especially when you have to deal with Baltimore and DC during that drive time.

Consider taking the Pennsy Turnpike out to Carlisle PA, then take I-81 south.
In southern Virginia, take I-77 to I-85. At Atlanta, connect with I-75.

Or instead of taking I-77, continue into Tenn. I-81 becomes I-40 then I-75.

If you take I-81 south the fastest way is to take it all the way to Winchester, VA, then cut over to Fredericksburg on Route 17, then Fredericksburg to Daytona beach on I-95.

Upvote 0

Buzzforprez

It takes the rest of the people in the car with me about 18 hours to get there from Jersey but it only takes me 10 or less. My advice, sleep as much as you can, you're there in no time! :lol:

94 to 4 is probably the best route. The 295 cut was good when 95 had extensive construction on that stretch years back but I doubt it will help you now. If you are an AAA member go get a triptik for your trip. They list all major road improvements and also suggest detours where necessary. Have fun! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

wdwforus

If I lived within 12 hours of Orlando I would be going alot more often then once every 2-3 years! Unfourtunately I live almsot 2 1/2 hours north of Boston and driving that far is not as easy. When we drove to NC 2 years ago we went thru the DC area around midnight and the traffic was not bad at all. If I were to drive I think I would plan the trip around that area. My parents drove us 4 times when I was growing up and it was always a 2 1/2 day experience. As kids we hated the wait to get there but looking back now those were great trips. We are currently planning on purchasing a camper and doing more road trips with the kids, maybe we will make the pilgrimage south in a year or two.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Robfasto said:
From East Tennessee there is no time change and flying out of Knoxville you HAVE TO change planes in Atlanta which is why it takes so long to go, plus for anyone who has been through Atlanta changing planes can be a big pain.

If I drive to 3.5 hours to Nashville or Charlotte then I can get a direct flight which only takes about 1.5 hours. Although if I am going to drive 3.5 hours I may as well drive the other 6 hours or so and be at Disney.

And yes I love to drive, most of the time it is at night so everyone else can sleep.

Works for me. :) If it makes you happy, it tickles me pinkl. ;) Personally, I hate to drive the 15 mins. to work everyday. There would be a body count on any drive from CT to FL.with me in it. LOL

Upvote 0

Robfasto

Heck, I have to drive 15 minutes just to get to the closest store...

I used to live in a big city and didn't think I would ever like to live in the country. I have the same drive to the store now time-wise as I used to, it is just 13 miles instead of 3... ;)

Upvote 0

awalkinthepark

We drive down from Massachusetts....it's a long drive...I dread it...but it's cheaper to drive than to pay for 5 plane tickets, parking at the airport and renting a car for the week. There's nothing quicker than I-95.....although DH takes 695(?) around Baltimore and 295 around Jacksonville from time to time. DC hasn't been too bad at night...but there is traffic every day during the day. Don't speed through CT, VA, NJ....drive with the traffic. CT has lots of unmarked vehicles, you will never see more staties in your life than when you drive through VA...one year there was a state patrol car every 10 miles...just waiting to catch you driving 68 in a 65 mph zone. If you think NC was sort of boring...just wait till you get to SC...lol...after South of the Border there is NOTHING but trees. We've never stopped at South of the Border..we've never timed it right or we are running too far behind cause of snow or work issues.

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

You can save a lot of time going thru DC by taking 295 South to pick up 95S. No matter which way on 495 you go you wind up going around DC. 295 takes you directly through DC (TIP:Keep your doors locked as you cruise our nations capital) and picks up 495 directly at the entrance to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Just stay away during rush hour.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Mr Wizard said:
You can save a lot of time going thru DC by taking 295 South to pick up 95S. No matter which way on 495 you go you wind up going around DC. 295 takes you directly through DC (TIP:Keep your doors locked as you cruise our nations capital) and picks up 495 directly at the entrance to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Just stay away during rush hour.

Thats what we do. We've tried to find alternate routes to keep us out of the major cities.

Upvote 0

xmatt0926x

my advice is to just use I-95 and maybe leave a little later than 3. we drive down to Disney from Philly at least twice a year in a Ford Explorer, so we know what guzzling gas is all about. It usually costs about $80 each way for gas. We drive straight through and its about a 16 hour trip.
We leave at about 8:00 at night and avoid all the traffic. By the time daylight hits again we are well into South carolina. Its always worked well for us. Then again, I love driving. I would be Clark Griswold if I could be. Stay on 95! just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

awalkinthepark said:
We drive down from Massachusetts....it's a long drive...I dread it...but it's cheaper to drive than to pay for 5 plane tickets, parking at the airport and renting a car for the week. There's nothing quicker than I-95.....although DH takes 695(?) around Baltimore and 295 around Jacksonville from time to time. DC hasn't been too bad at night...but there is traffic every day during the day. Don't speed through CT, VA, NJ....drive with the traffic. CT has lots of unmarked vehicles, you will never see more staties in your life than when you drive through VA...one year there was a state patrol car every 10 miles...just waiting to catch you driving 68 in a 65 mph zone. If you think NC was sort of boring...just wait till you get to SC...lol...after South of the Border there is NOTHING but trees. We've never stopped at South of the Border..we've never timed it right or we are running too far behind cause of snow or work issues.

I speed in CT all the time and rarely see any law and I live here. You have approx. 12 - 15 (often more, depends on how the traffic running and how heavy it is) mph grace before they will even think to stop you. I recently zipped through a radar trap at 85 and nada. Now, the guy that was passing me got nailed. I do a steady 80 every morning to go to work on the Merritt and nothing. NJ, well, everyone speeds, you have to speed not to get killed. Now, VA, ah, yes, be VERY careful, they don't play well with others. Also, FL can be a bear. And, in GA, well they don't know the war is over, so, we, from the North walk very light. :)

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Robfasto said:
Heck, I have to drive 15 minutes just to get to the closest store...

I used to live in a big city and didn't think I would ever like to live in the country. I have the same drive to the store now time-wise as I used to, it is just 13 miles instead of 3... ;)

LOL, that 15 min. drive covers approx. 17.5 miles. The hardest part of the journey is the half mile to the highway and the 1 mile when I get off the highway. That chews up 1/3 of the travel time. :)
We used to live about 7.5 miles away from the nearest store on top of a small mountain. On the way home from work, if you didn't get it before you got home, you simply went without it. :)
We will be moving closer to my work, but, with all the New Haven traffic, it will take the same amount of time, so, I know what you mean.

Upvote 0

AEfx

Gail Hayden said:
I speed in CT all the time and rarely see any law and I live here. You have approx. 12 - 15 (often more, depends on how the traffic running and how heavy it is) mph grace before they will even think to stop you. I recently zipped through a radar trap at 85 and nada. Now, the guy that was passing me got nailed. I do a steady 80 every morning to go to work on the Merritt and nothing. NJ, well, everyone speeds, you have to speed not to get killed. Now, VA, ah, yes, be VERY careful, they don't play well with others. Also, FL can be a bear. And, in GA, well they don't know the war is over, so, we, from the North walk very light. :)

Now Gail, you wouldn't be promoting breaking the rules would you?

OK, I promise not to rag on you for this as long as you look the otehr way when you see me and my mug next trip. ;)

AEfx

Upvote 0

wdwforus

On that return trip from NC I got busted on the Mass Pike, it was a motorcycle cop standing on the side of the road with a hand held gun. He came walking out into 1 full lane and pointed at me to pull over. I'm like "Who is this crazy $%^#@!?" Then he jumped on his bike and caught up to us. He said he clocked me at 92 mph. Wrote me up for 75. What a break. I think the fine was only $75 vs. like $200. My father in law got it in CT on the same trip a year later and he was only 10 over. That was over a $200 fine. I think you got to be careful no matter where you are, who knows what kind of mood the law enforcement might be in.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom