Driving from PA

HolleBolleGijs

Hi all! We're in a bit of a predicament timing-wise, and I'm looking for some input from you lovely people :)

We're driving from PA, scheduled to leave from Philly at 3pm on a Wednesday. We have Keys to the Kingdom booked for 9:30am on Thursday. That wasn't ideal, but it was literally the only day of our trip that had availability for 2 people, so I though I'd book it and worry later. We should make it in time; Google says it can take anywhere from 14.5 - 18 hours. If we're on the lower end of that, we'll be fine. The thing is, we'll be hitting DC right in the heart of rush hour - in other words, we'll be driving right through the ninth circle of hell, which really concerns me.

So, a few questions:

1. Do you think this is cutting it too close? (don't know why I'm asking this, obviously yes)
2. Does anyone know how often people cancel for something like this? (looking to find an opening later in the trip)
3. If we were to stick with this plan, do you think we should head right to the TTC, or should we go to our resort (Coronado) and take the bus?
4. If we decide to cancel and can't find an opening elsewhere, does anyone have any suggestions to help make up for it? The CMs on the phone all recommended the Marceline to Magic tour as a good alternative, but I couldn't sell my mom on it.

Merci in advance :)

NeedMoreMickey

So you are going to drive straight through the night? We did the tour a couple of years ago and it is a lot of standing around listening to the tour guide, our tour lasted until around 3:00ish. You are going to be exhausted. Are you sure you can't reschedule the tour for another day?

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I think it's cutting it close because I have been in DC traffic at a rush hour and it added 2+ hours easily to our commute into DC when we went in 2011. We drove there from south Louisiana and arrived right around/before 5pm just outside DC. Did not get to the hotel until after 7pm. When it should have only took maybe 20-30 min at the most from where we were. Lol
If you stick with this I would head directly to the TTC depending on if your tickets are active or not with this direct to room check in.
I don't know what to suggest/answer for the other 2 questions.
I really think you are cutting it wayyy to close as you never know what can happen on your way down. I have almost missed a dining reservation (was almost an hour late at 'Ohana) due to issues driving in as we always do. But that was a restaurant and they could get us in but with a tour you would totally miss out and lose a good chunk of money in the process.
Totally up to you but me personally I would not chance it! I love that tour and wish I could say you would definately be okay but I cannot. We only have ever scheduled dining and MNSSHP or MVMCP for several hours after arrival but those are flexible as in you can arrive later and not miss it altogether or lose very little money where the dining is concerned. Tours you lose it all together and lose the whole price if not there to start the tour promptly on time. They do not allow you to be late. :)

Upvote 0

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
So you are going to drive straight through the night? We did the tour a couple of years ago and it is a lot of standing around listening to the tour guide, our tour lasted until around 3:00ish. You are going to be exhausted. Are you sure you can't reschedule the tour for another day?

My mom and I will be sharing the drive, so it won't be awful (we're both adept at functioning on little sleep). Regardless of whether we do the tour or not we'll be driving through the night, and heading to the park right away. I've called a few times, and this was literally the only day available, but I definitely plan on calling periodically to check.

I think it's cutting it close because I have been in DC traffic at a rush hour and it added 2+ hours easily to our commute into DC when we went in 2011. We drove there from south Louisiana and arrived right around/before 5pm just outside DC. Did not get to the hotel until after 7pm. When it should have only took maybe 20-30 min at the most from where we were. Lol
If you stick with this I would head directly to the TTC depending on if your tickets are active or not with this direct to room check in.
I don't know what to suggest/answer for the other 2 questions.
I really think you are cutting it wayyy to close as you never know what can happen on your way down. I have almost missed a dining reservation (was almost an hour late at 'Ohana) due to issues driving in as we always do. But that was a restaurant and they could get us in but with a tour you would totally miss out and lose a good chunk of money in the process.
Totally up to you but me personally I would not chance it! I love that tour and wish I could say you would definately be okay but I cannot. We only have ever scheduled dining and MNSSHP or MVMCP for several hours after arrival but those are flexible as in you can arrive later and not miss it altogether or lose very little money where the dining is concerned. Tours you lose it all together and lose the whole price if not there to start the tour promptly on time. They do not allow you to be late. :)

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna keep calling to try to reschedule. I basically knew the answer to my question when I posted any way haha. It's just unfortunate that it's a tour, because like you said, the cost of being a few minutes late is a lot more than an ADR or party.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
My mom and I will be sharing the drive, so it won't be awful (we're both adept at functioning on little sleep). Regardless of whether we do the tour or not we'll be driving through the night, and heading to the park right away. I've called a few times, and this was literally the only day available, but I definitely plan on calling periodically to check.

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna keep calling to try to reschedule. I basically knew the answer to my question when I posted any way haha. It's just unfortunate that it's a tour, because like you said, the cost of being a few minutes late is a lot more than an ADR or party.
Me and DH always drive straight through to WDW overnight or even anywhere like when we went to DC which was about 17 hours. Rather drive than fly anyday. lol
And I really hope you will be able to reschedule!! I would hate for you to miss out on such a wonderful tour. If the worst happens the it just gives you another reason to make another trip so you can go on the tour. Haha! :joyfull:

Upvote 0

fractal

We left Berks County PA at 3pm on a Saturday, hit heavy traffic around the Beltway despite being a weekend, we stopped twice to eat and made it to the WDW area around 10am the next day. There's also the traffic you have to deal with getting into WDW, etc. I would guess by leaving on a weekday the Beltway traffic will be worse. I think you are cutting it very close - any way you can leave closer to 1pm?

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

It is going to be tight, but you have already figured that out. Remember that the morning traffic coming into Orlando, and getting to the park will add additional time. My suggestion is that if you are unable to book another day, to postpone until your next trip. Our normal talk is that when something is closed is that we will just have to make another trip. Good luck on what every you decide to pursue, and hope its a great trip with, or without the tour!

Upvote 0

Maerj

The point of a vacation is to relax and have fun. If you don't have to cut it close, I wouldn't. Reschedule if possible. I drove to WDW from PA last year, we took 2 days to do it. It was 7 hours each day, not too bad. If you go at odd hours, it's not too bad around Baltimore/DC but if you hit it near rush hour, it's nothing but traffic. Things can happen when taking a trip, keep that in mind before cutting it close. Good luck and have fun whatever you decide to do.

Upvote 0

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
The point of a vacation is to relax and have fun. If you don't have to cut it close, I wouldn't. Reschedule if possible. I drove to WDW from PA last year, we took 2 days to do it. It was 7 hours each day, not too bad. If you go at odd hours, it's not too bad around Baltimore/DC but if you hit it near rush hour, it's nothing but traffic. Things can happen when taking a trip, keep that in mind before cutting it close. Good luck and have fun whatever you decide to do.
I'm pretty much set on cancelling at this point. But regardless it's going to be hectic, since we'll be leaving at the same time anyway. We only have 5 days, so we'll be going crazy, and saving the true relaxation for when we get home :)

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

I'm pretty much set on cancelling at this point. But regardless it's going to be hectic, since we'll be leaving at the same time anyway. We only have 5 days, so we'll be going crazy, and saving the true relaxation for when we get home :)

We also drive down from PA, and we used to live in the DC area. Iv'e sat for literally hours just in the course of a regular commute out there. I think you're making the right decision, the trip would be terribly stressful if a travel delay might cost you a special thing you paid extra for.

Upvote 0

Stophie

We left Berks County PA at 3pm on a Saturday, hit heavy traffic around the Beltway despite being a weekend, we stopped twice to eat and made it to the WDW area around 10am the next day. There's also the traffic you have to deal with getting into WDW, etc. I would guess by leaving on a weekday the Beltway traffic will be worse. I think you are cutting it very close - any way you can leave closer to 1pm?

Fellow Berks County resident here! We are set to do the drive down on Thursday.

In terms of making it on time, I totally agree that you will probably be cutting it pretty close. The DC traffic can be horrendous. We hit it at the wrong time several years ago and it set us back 4 hours...granted, they were also doing construction at the time and it was a double whammy, but even then, I'd rather not chance it. We learned our lesson after that trip and always try to plan to leave so that we pass through DC very late at night.

Hopefully you are able to score a spot for the tour later on in the week - I wish you the best of luck with that!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom