Driving from NJ to Disney

Twinkledragon

Hi Im new to these boards. We are leaving for Disney on Sat and driving down from NJ. We dont need to be at the parks til Monday morning technically but we are hoping to make it there by Sunday evening. We are planning on leaving our home (Central NJ) sometime on Saturday and drive into Savannah to sleep and then leave Sunday from Savannah to go into Jacksonville to hit the zoo for a little bit before heading into Disney later to meet my mom who is flying. We dont have any set time we need to arrive so long as we arrive with enough time to be able to sleep and rest to get into the parks Monday. What time would be the best to leave on Saturday? I know with the weekend there wont be the same rush hour traffic times but Im sure there will still be Saturday beach traffic for day vacationers? We are taking our 3 kids (age 7.4. and 2) so we would prefer to do more night driving but still arrive in Savannah hopefully by midnight to 2 AM the latest so we can sleep a little before heading out the following day. Is it more advisable to leave earlier in the day (before noon) or later in the afternoon? We probably cant leave earlier than around 11 AM Im thinking and can leave anytime after that. My husband wants to sleep in some in the morning so he can be well rested for the drive and we are both night owls so driving more at night is preferable between the kids and my anxiety about traffic. I appreciate the help!

MrHappy

There's a site that you can look up the lists the stops that Dinners Drive-Ins and Dives has stopped at. Every place Guy goes to makes me want to eat the TV so you may be interested. Not sure if I can post the link, just google Flavortown.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jim1051

We always leave around 3 AM from Phila to get past DC before they wake up. We however now drive all the way to WDW(1000 Miles) without stopping over night. We used to stop in Florence, SC area until we got there by 1 PM one trip and decided to go a little farther.

Even on a Saturday traffic around DC is a disaster after about 6 AM. We have been doing this since the early '90's when we had a son attending college in the south. If all goes well it takes around 11 hours to Savannah.

Upvote 0

hanwill

Safe travels... I would leave as soon as you can and get as much done as you can first day and then get a full nights sleep if you can the first night... I'm a night owl too- but I want to accomplish something during the day. If you can have movies for them to watch....it helps....and I suggest waze... It rerouted us off I-75 one time and we didn't take it- we were parked for over an hour on the interstate.. Nex t time it told us to get off we did- saw a beautiful part of FL and avoided an interstate shutdown... Have fun !

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

Another Philly/South Jerseyian who drives down often. Last time was this May. Have to strongly agree with the previous posters. No matter what day it is I make sure I am approaching the Virginia area no later than 6'sh in the morning. So personally I'd be pulling out by 6:30ish. Generally we pull out 3-4ish . with two drivers this should be totally doable.

Now although you plan on eating in the car, you never know when a leg break might be needed. we generally drive until we hit the kingston exit, which is the last exit in Ga right before crossing over into Florida. We always stopped at "south of the Border". lol and let the kids burn off energy.

Upvote 0

Notorious KAT

I would also recommend the 301 route. We drive down from NJ almost every year and the years we decide to take 95, we always regret it when we get to Fredericksburg, VA. There is always traffic there no matter what time of day or day of the week.
We drove down last year with two kids (5 and 8 months). We left Saturday afternoon (around 2) and drove overnight. We got to Disney around lunch time on Sunday. We have also stopped in Santee, SC... the second day is not too long.
Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

I would strongly recommend leaving your house no later than 5 am(and even that is pushing it), if your husband is dead set on not leaving Friday night. DMV(DC, Maryland, Virgina) traffic is NO JOKE. Like others have said, you want to be away from this area by 6/630 am, weekend or not. As someone who also has travel anxiety (but I will take something before I start my travels), save yourself the headache.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

There's a site that you can look up the lists the stops that Dinners Drive-Ins and Dives has stopped at. Every place Guy goes to makes me want to eat the TV so you may be interested. Not sure if I can post the link, just google Flavortown.
Once you go thru DC, about 40 miles south, there is a BBQ place in Fredricksburg, VA called Allman's BBQ...it's on Rt 1, about 10 minutes off 95...walking in the place is like taking a trip back in time, BUT they have the BEST BBQ this Jersey boy has ever had!!! Their cole slaw is unbelievable too!! You can google it...trust me it's worth the 10 mins off 95. There's also a Wawa right there on the way so you can fill up as well. If you stop, don't be surprised if you take some home with you! I do every time I'm down there and buy the homemade BBQ sauce by the gallon!

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

Once you go thru DC, about 40 miles south, there is a BBQ place in Fredricksburg, VA called Allman's BBQ...it's on Rt 1, about 10 minutes off 95...walking in the place is like taking a trip back in time, BUT they have the BEST BBQ this Jersey boy has ever had!!! Their cole slaw is unbelievable too!! You can google it...trust me it's worth the 10 mins off 95. There's also a Wawa right there on the way so you can fill up as well. If you stop, don't be surprised if you take some home with you! I do every time I'm down there and buy the homemade BBQ sauce by the gallon!
Oh, I forgot...they open every morning at 11am

Upvote 0

NicTom1211

Hi, so we are planning our first trip driving with our two kids, we reside in mercer county NJ and we are planning on leaving on a Monday to be there for Tuesday. We were recommended by a few people to leave around 8/9 PM on Monday Night, stop in SC in Latta and then stay over or head straight down. I am more keen on stopping and staying somewhere even thought my hubs is very adamant that he can drive all night. Ours kids will be 4 and 2 and both almost always fall asleep in the car when its more then an hour ride, so I am not too, too worried about them sleeping.

Two questions - 1) has anyone stayed over in Latta SC? pt 2 of q 1) Or is it worth it to go to Savannah GA instead?
2) what time during the day is best to head home? It will be a week day head home also (Wed - Thurs), and not really sure what the best time is to head home.

Thank you for any help/insight you can provide!

Upvote 0

yensid67

I know an earlier post mentions it, but IF you could leave on Friday, drive to Lorton VA just south of DC...you can catch the Auto train and take that and still get to Florida on Sunday Morning. You would need to figure out what time you need to leave to get to Lorton...they start loading at 11am and train leaves Lorton at 4pm with a direct route to Sanford. Or if you are near Amtrak, you could pick up the Train to Washington(Silver Star) and let the driving to someone else, get a sleeper to accommodate the family, arrive in Orlando or Kissimmee the next day. We are taking Amtrak from PA in May 2018 and we spent $457.80 for 2 adults(coach), I was going to drive straight through, but I have not done that since 2000 and I am a little older now!!!! So instead of driving and loosing a day when we get there, we are leaving the driving to Amtrak and renting a car($245.00- 8 days). This will give us an extra day to plan something in the evening so the day is not a total wash out!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I know an earlier post mentions it, but IF you could leave on Friday, drive to Lorton VA just south of DC...you can catch the Auto train and take that and still get to Florida on Sunday Morning. You would need to figure out what time you need to leave to get to Lorton...they start loading at 11am and train leaves Lorton at 4pm with a direct route to Sanford. Or if you are near Amtrak, you could pick up the Train to Washington(Silver Star) and let the driving to someone else, get a sleeper to accommodate the family, arrive in Orlando or Kissimmee the next day. We are taking Amtrak from PA in May 2018 and we spent $457.80 for 2 adults(coach), I was going to drive straight through, but I have not done that since 2000 and I am a little older now!!!! So instead of driving and loosing a day when we get there, we are leaving the driving to Amtrak and renting a car($245.00- 8 days). This will give us an extra day to plan something in the evening so the day is not a total wash out!
Are you responding to the OP? They've already gone, if that's the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John park hopper

Having taken Amtrak from Charleston SC to West Palm Beach Fl and then back to Charleston (first and only time) which stopped in Orlando I would strongly suggest you get a private car (sleeper). We went coach and it was not enjoyable in either direction, the restrooms were filthy and you really don't have a choice where you sit. Unfortunately we sat in front of a single mother with a child who was a royal pain. You get what you pay for. Like you we saw it as an alterantive to driving. I believe the train originates in New York ends in Miami; I don't think there was any cleaning serve on board if there was they did a poor job. Maybe we just traveled on an off day but I would never- repeat never go coach again. If others have traveled this leg of Amtrak I'd be interested in your experience. If you go coach I hope you have a better experience please post how it was

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimbojones

I have driven from New England to Florida many times with little kids and always do it non stop. I like to leave late ar night around 11 pm after taking a long afternoon nap. The kids will sleep till about 8 in the car which makes the trip a lot easier because we can get half way without any whining . For us it is about 20 hours to orlando so leaving late at night gets us there for dinner the following day. Plan on a stop at South of the Border, it is cheesy but an institution none the less.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I have driven from New England to Florida many times with little kids and always do it non stop. I like to leave late ar night around 11 pm after taking a long afternoon nap. The kids will sleep till about 8 in the car which makes the trip a lot easier because we can get half way without any whining . For us it is about 20 hours to orlando so leaving late at night gets us there for dinner the following day. Plan on a stop at South of the Border, it is cheesy but an institution none the less.

Ugh. That sounds about right. I know it's 12 hours from DC to Jax. I've done that trip multiple times. And I drove round-trip DC-Boston, once. That was 10 hours.

Upvote 0

jimbojones

Ugh. That sounds about right. I know it's 12 hours from DC to Jax. I've done that trip multiple times. And I drove round-trip DC-Boston, once. That was 10 hours.
I always figure 24 hours including gas and potty stops from MA. We always consider making it a two part trip but I'd rather spend my money on another night at WDW than at some random rt95 motel so the straight shot drive always wins. However its probably cheaper to Amtrak it rather than drive, it takes about the same amount of time but is much more comfortable. Something the OP might want to consider coming from NJ. If you don't have other places to go on the down or return trip Amtrak would be my first choice. Also saves wear on your car

Upvote 0

JMcMahonEsq

We are looking to make the trip down to WDW this coming November, during "Jersey Week" Our plan right now is to leave Friday after school lets out, and head south. We are not going to be making a direct drive, and are either going to check in at the contemporary Saturday evening, or make two stops, likely one in Florence SC sometime Friday night/Sat morning, and then a second stop just outside WDW, checking into the Contemporary on Sunday. Due to work and travel, i have over 100 free nights at Marriott properties, so stopping on the way down isn't really a financial hardship. With departing north Jersey around 3-3:30 PM, what do people envision the DC area traffic to be like? I would assume we would be hitting DC around 8:30-9PM or so. Is it worth powering through the first leg of the trip to get South of DC as quickly as possible, or would it make more sense to stop someplace in south jersey, have a sit down meal, let some traffic go by, and be hitting DC closer to 10-11?

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We are looking to make the trip down to WDW this coming November, during "Jersey Week" Our plan right now is to leave Friday after school lets out, and head south. We are not going to be making a direct drive, and are either going to check in at the contemporary Saturday evening, or make two stops, likely one in Florence SC sometime Friday night/Sat morning, and then a second stop just outside WDW, checking into the Contemporary on Sunday. Due to work and travel, i have over 100 free nights at Marriott properties, so stopping on the way down isn't really a financial hardship. With departing north Jersey around 3-3:30 PM, what do people envision the DC area traffic to be like? I would assume we would be hitting DC around 8:30-9PM or so. Is it worth powering through the first leg of the trip to get South of DC as quickly as possible, or would it make more sense to stop someplace in south jersey, have a sit down meal, let some traffic go by, and be hitting DC closer to 10-11?
Just watch out for potential parades...:joyfull:

Upvote 0

JMcMahonEsq

For those that make the drive, i was wondering what everyone would think would be the best time to start the RETURN trip back from WDW? We will be coming back on a Friday, and will have a ticket for the park that day. We are staying at the Contemporary so we will most likely be doing our annual ritual of hitting chef mickey for breakfast the last day. In the past we have then checked out and taken the Magic Express back to the Airport. Now that we are driving we will likely go into MK for at least part of the day. I don't think we are going to make the drive back to NJ all in one shot. Is there a magic time that people would recommend leaving MK to be on the road? Stopping point for Friday's drive is somewhat TBD, but would like to get as far north as we can that first night.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom