driving from CT changing plans

quirkle

So our trip is 12/20-12/31, We planned to leave 12/19 at 12:00 and drive straight through then:

Plan 2 - Leave 2:30 AM 12/19 and maybe stay overnight somewhere in Georgia and then drive to WDW.

Plan 3: Leave at night on 12/18 drive through until ???????

HELP my planners - you are my only hope!

Disnee4Me

Add me to the list of Connecticut --- Stamford to be exact. Every time we drive (4 times now) we run into some sort of problem --- our first trip could have been a Chevy Chase Vacation movie. Left Stamford about 10:30 p.m. and shortly before 3 a.m., just before reaching DC, someone fell asleep at the wheel and hit our car ... twice ... because he spun around and pushed us into the guard rail the 2nd time!! By the time we got everything all squared away with the police, and were back on the road, it was 4 a.m. Got into Springfield, VA about 5 and parked at a gas station, who sent us to a Chevy place, who said our car was too damaged to make it all the way to Florida, so then they brought us to a rental place, and the first car they gave us the AC was not working right (this is in August). by the time we finally got on the road, it was nearly 5 p.m. and rush hour traffic (I believe this was on a Thursday). We didn't reach South of the Border until early the next morning, and then more traffic and accidents. We finally reached WDW around 10 p.m. and there was a sign on the door that the water main broke and there was no HOT water ... needless to say I took a cold shower that night!! And then on the way back, we got caught in Hurricane Bonnie through the Carolinas and had no place to stop and eat for lunch or dinner until we hit southern Virginia about 9 p.m. that night!! Can't believe after that first trip we'd ever drive again, but we did in '07, '08 and '09 and got stuck with some pretty bad winter weather!!

Upvote 0

Mrsdonaldduck

.....let me expand upon what I said previously and throw my other .02 cents in related to the drive to WDW ...because I've done it 11 times now since 2004 (twice that year)

1. The overnight drive ...unless you are used to it, is / can be brutal. I found that out on trip #2.
  2. We "perfected" our journey on trip #3 in 2005. Leaving central NJ at 5:30 - 6:00 am (latest) and driving to Brunswick, Ga., ...a total of 850 miles ...in 12.0 to 12.5 hours (made in the 12 hrs flat once ...when Hurricane Irene was headed up the coast ...and we passed each other in northern Georgia).
  3. Our departure time from home has us going south past the Wash DC area at a time where most are traveling north (between 8:30 - 9:30 am). We use the eastern side of the 495 Beltway around DC (going past Andrews AFB) ...because it keeps us away from the western suburbs.
  4. We go straight through Richmond on I-95 ...because the I-295 by-pass is a waste of time (and miles) and it brings you back onto I-95 to the south of Petersburg, which is a good place to get food and fuel up.
  5. The loop around Jacksonville is a waste of miles and time ...we just stay on I-95 ...through Jacksonville. Believe me, if you blink, you'll miss the city.

As I mentioned, we changed up a bit this past trip ...not stopping in Ga., ...but going as far as St Augustine, Fl (it was 14 hrs flat from home to a Fairfield Inn there ...and the room was $80 bucks ...with my AARP / Marriott rewards discount). Next day ...2 hr drive to WDW ......

....we rarely did a park on the first day anyhow. We usually settle into the room ...do some pool time (I take a nap because I was the only driver) ...and then we do our DtD night ...dinner ...shopping ...etc. The parks come on the 2nd day....

...the drive home ....all in one day ...leave WDW at a bit before 8am ...walk in the door at midnight.
This is so helpful! Thank you! We have made the drive the past two years from north jersey. Your point #3 is something we always wondered about and we will follow your advice

Upvote 0

quirkle

Original Poster
.....let me expand upon what I said previously and throw my other .02 cents in related to the drive to WDW ...because I've done it 11 times now since 2004 (twice that year)

1. The overnight drive ...unless you are used to it, is / can be brutal. I found that out on trip #2.
  2. We "perfected" our journey on trip #3 in 2005. Leaving central NJ at 5:30 - 6:00 am (latest) and driving to Brunswick, Ga., ...a total of 850 miles ...in 12.0 to 12.5 hours (made in the 12 hrs flat once ...when Hurricane Irene was headed up the coast ...and we passed each other in northern Georgia).
  3. Our departure time from home has us going south past the Wash DC area at a time where most are traveling north (between 8:30 - 9:30 am). We use the eastern side of the 495 Beltway around DC (going past Andrews AFB) ...because it keeps us away from the western suburbs.
  4. We go straight through Richmond on I-95 ...because the I-295 by-pass is a waste of time (and miles) and it brings you back onto I-95 to the south of Petersburg, which is a good place to get food and fuel up.
  5. The loop around Jacksonville is a waste of miles and time ...we just stay on I-95 ...through Jacksonville. Believe me, if you blink, you'll miss the city.

As I mentioned, we changed up a bit this past trip ...not stopping in Ga., ...but going as far as St Augustine, Fl (it was 14 hrs flat from home to a Fairfield Inn there ...and the room was $80 bucks ...with my AARP / Marriott rewards discount). Next day ...2 hr drive to WDW ......

...we rarely did a park on the first day anyhow. We usually settle into the room ...do some pool time (I take a nap because I was the only driver) ...and then we do our DtD night ...dinner ...shopping ...etc. The parks come on the 2nd day....

...the drive home ....all in one day ...leave WDW at a bit before 8am ...walk in the door at midnight.

Awesome awesome suggestions - we were thinking about sleeping after work and leaving around midnight - we have Blizzard beach on the arrival day - then check in and DTD that night.

Upvote 0

JerseyDad

Awesome awesome suggestions - we were thinking about sleeping after work and leaving around midnight - we have Blizzard beach on the arrival day - then check in and DTD that night.

....sounds good. West Haven is about 2.5 hrs from where I am in NJ ....so you should be past Wash DC and even Richmond Va ...by 8am.

...technically ...you could be in southern Georgia before 3pm ...or push on to Jacksonville or St Augustine before 5pm (if you are planning to stop for the night).

....fyi ...we stayed in a Fairfield Inn & Suites that's in St Augustine ....(Exit 318 off of I-95 / FL Rte 16) ....and it's on Outlet Mall Blvd ....which ...means it's also right near a huge collection of outlet stores ...if you're into that. (...and there is a Cracker Barrel that's 2 minutes away ...so ...what's not to love)

Upvote 0

quirkle

Original Poster
If we can cross into Florida on Thursday. Sleep, get up and to Disney by 7 am I would be psyched.

Unless it's a Disney outlet I'm not interested. Lol. Not a shopper.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
So our trip is 12/20-12/31, We planned to leave 12/19 at 12:00 and drive straight through then:

Plan 2 - Leave 2:30 AM 12/19 and maybe stay overnight somewhere in Georgia and then drive to WDW.

Plan 3: Leave at night on 12/18 drive through until ???????

HELP my planners - you are my only hope!

I know it's too late now but this plan would have been best:

Plan 4: Drive to Plainville, pick up Shookie, Leave ASAP.

Hope you're having a safe trip.

Upvote 0

quirkle

Original Poster
We left at 12:15 Am on Thursday and checked in at 6:30 PM. Just a few stops to stretch. We did DTS

Leaving at that time we hit no traffic until I-4. It was a pretty easy drive. We split it up with me doing the majority.

It was hard when we got to Georgia and Florida since I just wanted to get here

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom