Downtown Disney update

Tim_4

Original Poster
No major news here but an interesting tidbit... The project coming to Downtown Disney is now being referred to internally as "Downtown Disney Expansion." I think the use of the word "expansion" as opposed to update/rehab/retheme/refurb is at least somewhat interesting.

menamechris

Very interesting. Thanks for the tidbit, Tim. Will be interesting what have come up with. Hopefully something a little more ambitious that just "more shopping and dining experiences..."

NoChesterHester

No major news here but an interesting tidbit... The project coming to Downtown Disney is now being referred to internally as "Downtown Disney Expansion." I think the use of the word "expansion" as opposed to update/rehab/retheme/refurb is at least somewhat interesting.

It is what makes sense. The area needs to be reimagined and to do so would probably need to be reconfigured and expanded. Give people a compelling reason to visit, not just a facelift.

Redsky89

Would be nice if there was more to do at DTD than shop at unknown specialty stores.

...bring back Pleasure Island for the night and add something fun to do during the day.
I agree. A new Pleasure Island would be awesome. The shops they got there are fun to walk around but they aren't anything I'd spend money at.

Jim Handy

There have been a few concepts for Downtown Disney. Some involve significant expansion that would take the area in to the parking lots and require extensive reworking of surrounding infrastructure. I have no idea what the current popular plan is, because I stopped caring after 3 years.

asianway

Approaching the 4 year anniversary of the clubs closing. And we have some extraordinarily vague news about internal talk referring to DTD "expansion". Sweet. A team of poorly trained Orangutans would have accomplished this faster.

Its a classic, "lets see if we can stonewall this thing long enough here until it becomes someone elses problem". They love to rotate bald tires within TDO management. Except Phil. Hes intent on staying until he can become 999.

menamechris

Its a classic, "lets see if we can stonewall this thing long enough here until it becomes someone elses problem". They love to rotate bald tires within TDO management.

This. Meanwhile there have been DVC's built at a record construction pace... I will be shocked if we actually hear anything for another year. They will keep spinning this as "fine tuning" plans. Not that I think there is much to be excited about anyways - since I am assuming their stance is still that there will be no nightclubs. I am expecting more of the same of what we have now wrapped into some thinly-designed theme.

The smartest thing they could do at this point is announce the grand reopening of Pleasure Island (with the gates). Tack it back onto the WaterParks and More option and the Premium Annual Pass. It doesn't have to be a carbon copy of what was there before obviously, (since buildings have been demo'ed), but there needs to be something they can make money off of by way of a gated experience - not just anyone being able to wander through and loiter... I think that is the only way we will get anything good out of this...

Jim Handy

This. Meanwhile there have been DVC's built at a record construction pace... I will be shocked if we actually hear anything for another year. They will keep spinning this as "fine tuning" plans. Not that I think there is much to be excited about anyways - since I am assuming their stance is still that there will be no nightclubs. I am expecting more of the same of what we have now wrapped into some thinly-designed theme.

The smartest thing they could do at this point is announce the grand reopening of Pleasure Island (with the gates). Tack it back onto the WaterParks and More option and the Premium Annual Pass. It doesn't have to be a carbon copy of what was there before obviously, (since buildings have been demo'ed), but there needs to be something they can make money off of by way of a gated experience - not just anyone being able to wander through and loiter... I think that is the only way we will get anything good out of this...
At this point, the reopening of the clubs requires extensive work.

John

As I have said in other threads, TDO better not miss this time. There is no more egg left to put on anyones face. Plans have come and gone. It has become more then an embaressment. Clubs? I was a HUGE fan of the gated PI, Will some form of them come back to DTD? I think that around these parts that is one of the more important questions. I think they are leaveing huge amounts of money on the table by not offering some sort of adult nightlife. People are on vacation. They want to relax, have some cocktails, listen to some music... Pi was at one time very popular and very profitable. 4 years is rediculus.We have heard rumbleings from our inhouse "insiders" for weeks about things brewing at DTD. TDO could really score huge PR wise with DTD, if they did something fantastic.

TDF

There have been a few concepts for Downtown Disney. Some involve significant expansion that would take the area in to the parking lots and require extensive reworking of surrounding infrastructure. I have no idea what the current popular plan is, because I stopped caring after 3 years.

DTD has no parking to begin with... now taking away more. (If this plan was to pass.)

Anyway I think DTD needs something done and I hope for sure they do it.
Off Topic: Anyone know the next DVC after Grand Floridian. - Roll Eyes-

spaceghost

DTD has no parking to begin with... now taking away more. (If this plan was to pass.)

Anyway I think DTD needs something done and I hope for sure they do it.
Off Topic: Anyone know the next DVC after Grand Floridian. - Roll Eyes-
I'm fairly certain the expansion plan (at least the one hinted at on this site before) involved additional parking being constructed, possibly in the form of a parking structure.

Personally, I really wish someone would come along and just champion a clear direction here and get something done. I'm sure it could get done if the right person were in the right place at the right time. (Do 3 rights make a wrong?)

jt04

As I have said in other threads, TDO better not miss this time. There is no more egg left to put on anyones face. Plans have come and gone. It has become more then an embaressment. Clubs? I was a HUGE fan of the gated PI, Will some form of them come back to DTD? I think that around these parts that is one of the more important questions. I think they are leaveing huge amounts of money on the table by not offering some sort of adult nightlife. People are on vacation. They want to relax, have some cocktails, listen to some music... Pi was at one time very popular and very profitable. 4 years is rediculus.We have heard rumbleings from our inhouse "insiders" for weeks about things brewing at DTD. TDO could really score huge PR wise with DTD, if they did something fantastic.

That I highlighted in red already exists at DTD. From Bongos to HoB to RR to the soon to open Splitsville. I am all for more of these venues on a small scale. All sorts of such experiences can be tucked in here and there and each can appeal to different tastes in music and atmosphere. What DTD does not need is a repeat of is the traditional club scene. Disney should stay with what they know. And let downtown Orlando thrive by not competing directly with it.

And while there at it they should reopen the Adv. Club.

IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom