Down where it's Wetter, the Cupcakes are Better; Take it from Me! June 2013 TR

Hi there, good to see you! Hello, welcome! This trip report includes tales of rain, sunshine, and of course lots and lots of food!

Cast: The group this time around is the Three Amigos. There is me, the 21-year-old photographer, writer, and all around Disney-nut. I go by Emily to the Non-Disneyites in the world. Next would be my wonderful mom, Tuvalu, the extraordinary planner and guide (and just may be a bigger nut than myself)! Finally we have my dad, chauffer, Disney-convert, and bread winner that allows my mom and me to take all these trips! Unfortunately, my dad ended up having to work a lot on this trip (he considered it a working vacay), so his involvement in the TR will be somewhat limited.

Reasoning: Why not, right? Actually, we have our annual big WDW vacation scheduled for August (we take shorter jaunts to the world throughout the year, but August is always our long “vacation”). However, with my trip to Disneyland in March, I had not been back to the World since December and that was just too long! I slyly convinced my parents that we should “bookend” the summer with trips to Disney. I’m so sneaky! :D

Logistics: Since this was a short trip, it needed to be done on the cheap. Originally we were booked 4 nights at POFQ. However, that just wasn’t going to cut it, so my dad used his Hilton points to book us a free night at the Doubletree Downtown Disney on the front end of the trip. Score! But wait, it turns out the original departure date wasn’t going to correspond with Dad’s work schedule. o_O I guess we’ll have to leave a day earlier. He actually had enough points to book a 2-night stay at the Hilton Bonnet Creek. So a 4-night jaunt turned into a 6-night jaunt! :D The first 2 nights were at Hilton Bonnet Creek and the last 4 nights were at POFQ.

Alright, enough jibber jabber. Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show!

6/3: Departure day

My alarm went off at 5:45- early, but that’s okay since we were leaving for Disney! We pulled out of our driveway at 6:15 in order to avoid Atlanta Rush hour traffic. I promptly fell back asleep and awoke as we were pulling into breakfast at the glorious Chick fil A! A chicken biscuit and full bellies later, we got back on I-75 anticipating the dull drive through South Georgia. Dad had a teleconference to attend so he was shunned to the back seat while Mom and I gabbed up front (quietly, of course!).

We stopped in Gainesville for lunch at Bono’s BBQ to redeem a coupon we had received there in December. The food was out fast and delicious (love me some BBQ) and we were back on the road within a half hour. Around 2:30 we got a glimpse of this:

Hooray, we made it!

Dad checked us in and we headed up to the room. We were on the 14th floor with a view of the Studios, Art of Animation/Pop, and Epcot. The room was really nice (even better that it was free!).

Plus, it had a great pool!

Oh hey Studios/AK!

Mom and I literally threw on our suits and were out the door to try to beat the rain. Fortunately, it didn’t rain. However, it was super cloudy and we didn’t get much sun. We went around the lazy river a couple of times and then headed back inside.

I have recently gotten in to running, so I hit up the fitness center in order to cancel out some of the anticipated calories to be consumed throughout the week. Then it was time to shower, change, and head out to dinner!

We headed off property, which is usually forbidden on my Disney vacations. However, since we were staying off property and weren’t heading into a park that day, I allowed it. We ate at Pizzeria Uno which is one of our favorites. We got a deep dish with pepperoni, onion, and roasted red pepper. I was so excited to dig in that I totally forgot to take a picture! It was absolutely delish.

However, I didn’t forget to take a picture of the much anticipated dessert!

As you can tell we had a hard time finishing it.

After that, we went back to the room and had a spectacular sunset!

We watched Cake Boss and Little People, Big World before hitting the sack.

Next up: A trip to the MK and crossing food off the list!

LeCellier.Lover

I absolutely loved your TR! I have always wanted to make a "To-Get List" of a bunch of different desserts, but have yet to accomplish that :( I'm glad you did though because now I've added a lot more things to the list (I better start working out 2x a day now to prepare myself haha). I'm so glad you guys had such a fun trip! That picture that you took if the Tangled bathrooms at sunset is absolutely beautiful, I think that's my favorite picture of your trip even though I loved all of your pictures! Can't wait to hear about your August trip! :)

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Great trip report! Thanks for that - glad you only have to wait a couple of months to return!

Thanks for reading :D I'm pretty glad too!!

Thanks for the trip report. Such great pictures that I felt like I was there!

Thanks so much for reading and your sweet comment!!

I absolutely loved your TR! I have always wanted to make a "To-Get List" of a bunch of different desserts, but have yet to accomplish that :( I'm glad you did though because now I've added a lot more things to the list (I better start working out 2x a day now to prepare myself haha). I'm so glad you guys had such a fun trip! That picture that you took if the Tangled bathrooms at sunset is absolutely beautiful, I think that's my favorite picture of your trip even though I loved all of your pictures! Can't wait to hear about your August trip! :)

Thank you! It was so much fun to try things that I never had before- I definitely recommend it. And I totally understand your thoughts about working out 2x to prepare. It took a couple days before I didn't feel guilty about eating sweets because I hadn't been eating them for 3 months before the trip.

That Tangled picture turned out to be my favorite picture of the trip. I wished I could have taken some more sunset pictures, but my parents were on a mission to get somewhere at that point :rolleyes:. Hopefully I can crank out an August TR between going back to school and work. :D You need to finish your TR up- I'm hooked!

Loved this thread!

Thanks for reading!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I don't know how I missed the end of your report, but:

YES!!! I was hoping it was going to be the No Way Jose!! It's on my "finally try it" list for September. I think I'm going to need someone to share it with me, though. Either that, or its going to have to be lunch or dinner by itself.

Really great report--entertaining, well-written, and gorgeous photos. Thanks for putting so much work into this one, and I'll be looking out for your August trip report!! ;)

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
I don't know how I missed the end of your report, but:

YES!!! I was hoping it was going to be the No Way Jose!! It's on my "finally try it" list for September. I think I'm going to need someone to share it with me, though. Either that, or its going to have to be lunch or dinner by itself.

Really great report--entertaining, well-written, and gorgeous photos. Thanks for putting so much work into this one, and I'll be looking out for your August trip report!! ;)

Thanks so much for reading and all your comments! When the waitress brought out the No Way Jose, I thought to myself "surely I can't eat the whole thing." Welp, totally proved myself wrong! SO GOOD! :D In fact, it really makes me wish I had one right now...

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Great report. Your pictures were great! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for reading!! :D

Love this TR especially all the pictures! Going to have to try some of the cakes when I go in sept they look aaaaamazing!

You will love all the desserts- it seriously made this trip so fun! Plus, I'm now always on the lookout everywhere we eat in WDW to find some "unique" sweets!! Thanks for reading!!

sam_disney

really enjoyed your report! love your photography skills also!!

I'm going in less than 2 weeks.. when do the down pours begin usually?

Thanks x

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
really enjoyed your report! love your photography skills also!!

I'm going in less than 2 weeks.. when do the down pours begin usually?

Thanks x
Thanks for reading! Afternoon showers are typical almost everyday in the summer- they usually start by 3, sometimes earlier. You'll be able to tell as it gets very dark very quickly. I hope you have a FABULOUS trip!!

Absolutely loved your TR & ALL of your great photos!!!
Thanks for reading! Photography is my new found love and Disney is a great outlet for it!

journ116

Aaand, I finally finished your amazing and photogenic TR! I was studying your 6/8 EP pics for any signs of me and my family;) Nope...didn't see us!

Looking forward to your take on your next trip! Our next trip is officially to DLR!! Any tips or suggestions you might have are welcomed and encouraged! Thanks!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Aaand, I finally finished your amazing and photogenic TR! I was studying your 6/8 EP pics for any signs of me and my family;) Nope...didn't see us!

Looking forward to your take on your next trip! Our next trip is officially to DLR!! Any tips or suggestions you might have are welcomed and encouraged! Thanks!

Thanks for sticking around!! I always look for myself in other people's TR, too. In fact, I even found myself once! It was a little surreal...:eek:

You will love DLR! It's so different from WDW you'll find an appreciation for it in a different way. I honestly learned a lot from reading other people's DLR TR. disneytouristblog.com has great photos, TR, and reviews of different DLR restaurants- I learned a lot from Tom! Feel free to ask me anything specific about DLR and I will try to answer! The DLR forum also has super nice people who are very glad to answer any questions :D

Kristia

Loved your trip report and your beautiful pictures! When are you going in August? I am going the 8th-12th! Woohoo! Not too much longer!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Loved your trip report and your beautiful pictures! When are you going in August? I am going the 8th-12th! Woohoo! Not too much longer!
Thanks for reading! I'm a big fan of your TR!! We'll be there the 3rd-11th! I'll keep an eye out for you! Where are you staying?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom