double stroller advice please??

ys187

We are going to disney mid of jan. (jan. 10-14).Me and my husband have been to disney 6 yrs. ago, but this is going to be my first trip with 2 kids (5 yrs. old girl and 4 yrs. old boy). They get tired of walking just after a little bit. My husband will be in a meeting for the first half of each day, so i'll be taking the kids to the park by myself. That's why I will definately need a stroller.

I know u can rent a double stroller for $18 at WDW.
1) How heavy is their double stroller to push.
2) Does it have any room for storage of a little bag (for snack or extra kids clothing).
3) Is it better to take your own stroller with u. (What if it gets lost while you're on a ride).

Help appreciated. Thanks
ys187

trr313

I would highly recommend renting a double stroller. I have never lost a stroller while on a ride and I've been there tons of times. The stroller is not hard to push at all it's just the getting in and out of the crowd but you have to do that with or without a stroller.

Upvote 0

luvGoofy

I would definately rent a double stroller. We just got back from our vacation and our children are 6 and 2 and while the 6 year old didn't ride all the time when she did get tired she just climbed right in and they both fit fine and it was very easy to push. If you rent for more than one day at a time you can get a discount. :)

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

We rented one last week, a double stroller that is. They are not too heavy and handle very well. There is plenty of storage in it as well. It's big enough for two-five year olds to nap... and not kill each other doing it!

If you rent strollers for multi days, I believe a discount kicks in, or at least it used to.

If someone takes your stroller, you take your receipt to the stroller rental place and they give you a new one. You can also turn one in as you leave one park and hop to another park and get a stroller there.

I say rent. Less hassle. Have fun.

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

I rented a double while there the 1st week of Dec. My daughter will be 9 next month and my niece just turned 7 right before we went. It was not hard to push at all. In fact it was a lifesaver when my daughter ended up sick. They have posted that the max weight is 50 lbs per child. My daughter is probably pushing 65-70 but my niece is a tiny little thing so it evened out. This is the last time I will be able to rent a stroller for my daughter though. Her head was almost touching the top.

You do get a discount for renting for more than 1 day. It's $2 off each day. I didn't know this until a CM at MGM explained it to me.

It was well worth renting the stroller. It also helped us keep track of where they were. I had my son in his stroller, daughter and niece in the double and only had to worry about my oldest niece (who was too big for the stroller). I recommend a stroller. They do get tired after all that walking. I've also never had any problems not being able to find my stroller after a ride even when a CM moves it. I've used both my own and Disney's strollers.

Upvote 0

bears163

Here is some good advice from someone who has gone through the same thing you will be going through. yes renting a double stroller is nice. you don't have to lug it onto a bus/car pending on if your are driving or not. but look at it this way. if your kids are sleeping at the time you want to leave do you really want to wake them up & have them walk the entire way back to the bus/car? i don't know how cranky yours kids are when they wake up. if they are always fine then yeah rent one. if not then i would bring one. JMO

Upvote 0

shoes

Ok... here's my issues with the strollers, whether it be doubles...singles etc, it doesn't matter.
1: what do you do from the park exit / entrance to the bus when you have a sleeping kid, how bout from the bus stop to the resort room and vice versa?
2: it's fairly expensive to rent
3: Flying? it'd be nice to have one in the airport etc.

It can be a pain in the butt lagging your sleeping child (or children) from exits .... to rooms etc. BUT I have the fix.
MAKE A CHEAP DOUBLE STROLLER YOURSELF... how you might ask? Go to a chain store that sells umbrella strollers.... buy 2 of em. Next take a hacksaw sawzall etc and cut off the left legs that the wheels attach to of one stroller (above the wheel area). Then take BOTH strollers and hose clamp them together. (with the wheel-less stroller on the right so it can "share the other strollers right legs) Crude yes, pretty... not bad, cheap YEA!!! I made one on a budget of $22 this last september and it worked FLAWLESSLY. I had a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old in it all week.... airports....disney resorts etc. It was light enough to lug on the bus cause IT STILL FOLDED and LOCKED like a standard umbrella stroller. I got lots of looks b/c it was different. We carried a Cinderella B/P for storage that we hung on the handles when needed.
I saved enough to go to MNSSHP on it!

Here's a tip on "saving your stroller from others" ...put a diaper in a baggie......smear a little chocolate on it to appear as "waste", tie it to the handle of the stroller and WAH LAH .... they will stay away from your stroller, trust me it works.

9-13-06bj299.jpg

Upvote 0

ys187

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. This was my first post on this fourm and I was amazed to see the response. The info was very helpul making up my mind (really liked the one on how to keep your stroller from being stolen).
One more question though. How inconvinient is it to pick up a rental stroller; do u have to wait in long line?? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

Thanks for all the help. This was my first post on this fourm and I was amazed to see the response. The info was very helpul making up my mind (really liked the one on how to keep your stroller from being stolen).
One more question though. How inconvinient is it to pick up a rental stroller; do u have to wait in long line?? Thanks.

I didn't welcome you to the board the first time I replied, so WELCOME!!!!

As for your ?, once you pay for the stroller you will have a reciept that has a card for the # of days on it. You just go to where you pick them up bypassing the paying line. If it's the first time that day (if you park hop you don't pay again) then they will stamp the date on 1 of the cards. Just hold on to your receipt. If you park hop just show them your receipt and you get another stroller.

Upvote 0

Deadmanwalking

Actually I've rented strollers and taken my own. I've never had the one I brought stolen or bothered even when it was left for several hours in one place. I have however had the rented stroller taken and not simply reparked by the stroller police (disney employees seem compulsive obsesive about lining up stroller neatly). I would not think twice about leaving my own stroller even with a back pack of goodies in it. I would however not leave anything besides trash in a rental, people must just think they are all alike and justify taken them or something.

I would also question the person that said your kidlets can nap in the rentals. The rentals are hard plastic rolling chairs... I wouldn't want to nap sitting up on a plastic chair and suspect the only kids you see sleeping in them are simply so tired they would have passed out on a cactus if it was under them. Do you kids a favor and yourself, take your own stroller and if you don't have a double stroller buy one (you can get some fold ups cheaper than renting a disney stroller). Not only will you have something at the end of the day but you will be able to push your kids through the airport and hotel too.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

When our son was 2, we brought an umbrella stroller. It was a hassle getting it on and off the buses. The people who tote their own big strollers have a hard time getting on and off the buses and have a time trying to keep it out of the way. Its especially difficult when you are boarding a bus at the end of a day and everyone is crammed in like sardines. We have witnessed others with their own big strollers and decided we would never bring a big one with us. When he was 3, we rented a stroller and loved it! It was very roomy and he never complained about being uncomfortable. We prepaid for the week and didn't have to wait too long in any line. We decided it would be best to tie a bright colored piece of material to the handle. I used bright, neon yellow. That way when they move the stroller, we would be able to spot ours quickly. We never had anyone take ours nor anything left in it. We only left a picture taken on a ride and not anything of value. We are going in April and plan to rent one for our now 4 year old. He can handle a good bit of walking, but not all of it. We take a break during the middle of the day back in our room. He can walk from the bus to the front gate, which can be a hike at times, but not make it walking that, the park and standing in line.

I believe you can get a refund for the unused portions if you prepay. I would highly recommend renting over bringing your own. If you do decide to bring your own, make sure to decorate it where you can spot your own. We used curling ribbon and made our own sign with our son's name and stickers of his favorite Disney characters. This will help in identifying your own and may discourage someone from stealing yours. The curling ribbon is hard to get off without scissors, especially if you tie it real tight!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom