Don't Trust Wait Time Signs

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I've seen with my own eyes that each ride has tons of red cards, so there's no excuse for not handing them out more frequently.

R W B

I would think they could make pretty good guesses on how long your wait is from where you are at in line. Put up signs saying "10min wait from this point (with normal flow)" and continue the signs back with 20, 30 and so on. No?

sonoma15

Original Poster
Also their is also an app called lines, basically people insert what they actually waited and it is much more accurate than the wait time signs. It is a great help when in the park.

dreamfinder

I was thinking they could just do away with the current Magic Band entry system and do something similar like they do on the highways down here in Florida. For example, on the Florida Turnpike - we have an automated toll pay system called "SunPass" and when you drive through a SunPass "toll" (not toll booths), you just drive through and the reader scans the transponder in the car and deducts the toll from your checking account. Similarly, Disney should've put in a "Magic Band Reader" that when you walk in, the reader scans the Magic Band (no stopping to touch "Mickey To Mickey"), and you just walk on through. They should do this for the rides, as well. This would give a more accurate wait time based on attendance count (mechanical issues would need to be factored in there, as well). Plus, if Disney wanted to, they could probably have all the attractions in the park connected up so they can see what the attendance count is at the entrance to anticipate the crowds coming in. Just a thought.... ;) Feel free to comment away on this. :)

They can do similar things with Magic Bands already. This is how your on ride photo can automagically show up in your Photopass account. I think part of the issue becomes accuracy. At the tolls, each vehicle is at least what, 10 feet apart? Much easier to tag just the correct car than when people are standing within a few feet (or inches depending on the line) of each other. And if you put faith in Jim Hill, he was saying years ago that the NextGen project would collect crowd flow data so that if employees noticed people bottling up in say Adventureland, they could deploy an on-demand parade kinda thing in Tomorrowland to help draw people that way. Just add it to the list of things that haven't materialized.

wdwjmp239

They can do similar things with Magic Bands already. This is how your on ride photo can automagically show up in your Photopass account. I think part of the issue becomes accuracy. At the tolls, each vehicle is at least what, 10 feet apart? Much easier to tag just the correct car than when people are standing within a few feet (or inches depending on the line) of each other. And if you put faith in Jim Hill, he was saying years ago that the NextGen project would collect crowd flow data so that if employees noticed people bottling up in say Adventureland, they could deploy an on-demand parade kinda thing in Tomorrowland to help draw people that way. Just add it to the list of things that haven't materialized.

One day someone will look back on this board and say, "What a great idea! How come Disney hasn't done it yet?" One day.....whenever that will be. ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The FLIK system can be unreliable, but it is the only system cast members are allowed to use.

Knowledgable CMs working an attraction they know well can look at a queue, where it reaches and the current layout in use and usually make an informed guess to within five minutes of the actual wait time. But they have to use FLIK.

copcarguyp71

I was thinking they could just do away with the current Magic Band entry system and do something similar like they do on the highways down here in Florida. For example, on the Florida Turnpike - we have an automated toll pay system called "SunPass" and when you drive through a SunPass "toll" (not toll booths), you just drive through and the reader scans the transponder in the car and deducts the toll from your checking account. Similarly, Disney should've put in a "Magic Band Reader" that when you walk in, the reader scans the Magic Band (no stopping to touch "Mickey To Mickey"), and you just walk on through. They should do this for the rides, as well. This would give a more accurate wait time based on attendance count (mechanical issues would need to be factored in there, as well). Plus, if Disney wanted to, they could probably have all the attractions in the park connected up so they can see what the attendance count is at the entrance to anticipate the crowds coming in. Just a thought.... ;) Feel free to comment away on this. :)

It's really the very same thing. RFID technology is used in both the toll passes and Magic Bands...the existing bands have it built in. All that would need to happen is to have detectors installed at the queue entrance and final loading areas. Oh..and for it to be a revenue generator.

JWG

I'm sure they can easily convert to using the RFID transmitter for line wait times if they'd like to. Everything's basically in place already. We've found the wait times to be between somewhat overstated to slighly understated over the years. Rarely have we waited significnatly longer than expected, usually within 5-10 minutes of posted times, and sometimes well under. Mine train for us has been anywhere for from 50% of the wait posted to around 110%.

thomas998

Yes it usually is shorter than what is posted but not always. Last visit 50 minutes was posted for Buzz and it was more like 90 min.
We've found a good rule of thumb is any time 45 minutes or less is likely inflated... any time over 45 minutes is usually only wishful thinking and as the wait times climb closer to the 120 the less likely it is to be even close to reality.

thomas998

The wait time signs at WDW are most of the time not what they say, most of the time they are way under what they say, sometimes around it and very unlikely above it. Some examples from yesterday when I was at HWS was:

- TOT said it had a 40 minute wait, waited 5 minutes.
- Darth Vader M&G said 30 minutes, waited 10 minutes.
- TSMM said 90 minutes, the actual wait was around 20-30 minutes (I had fast passes but I oculd just tell by looking at it)

Also I remember POTC saying 30 minutes once where we only waited about 5.

This is just a friendly reminder to (most of the time) don't trust those wait time signs.

Only one I expect you were wrong on was the TSMM... The line can look deceptively short because you don't realize how much it weaves back and forth compared to the fastpass line.

TiggersPooh

I've seen with my own eyes that each ride has tons of red cards, so there's no excuse for not handing them out more frequently.
If every family was handed a card then you would be complaining that it took too long to enter a line as the CM explains it to every family. Then try to monitor boarding requirements. Then being so focused on collecting the cards the cm could lose focus on safety as scanning the the flik cards takes you away from the loading process. Then people would complain that the cm is so focus on the cards and not interacting with guests. If the wait time is a bit over posted I see no issue as you went into the queue expecting a certain wait time and if you board quicker you've gained back some of your day allowing you to experience another attraction.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
If every family was handed a card then you would be complaining that it took too long to enter a line as the CM explains it to every family. Then try to monitor boarding requirements. Then being so focused on collecting the cards the cm could lose focus on safety as scanning the the flik cards takes you away from the loading process. Then people would complain that the cm is so focus on the cards and not interacting with guests. If the wait time is a bit over posted I see no issue as you went into the queue expecting a certain wait time and if you board quicker you've gained back some of your day allowing you to experience another attraction.
I think you've misread me. I didn't mean for EVERYONE to get one, just for them to be handed out just a little more frequently than the current rate.

StarWarsGirl

I do what I call "eyeballing" the line. We look to see where the line is, and then if it looks short we get in, wait about ten minutes and see how far it has gone. Sometimes you have to get in line to see how long it is, but you can always get out if it's too long.

Takeitforgranite

I don't really see how they could post an accurate wait time. There's too many variables that could happen over the course of 30-60 minutes while a person is in line, especially with FP+. I've been in a stand-by line numerous times that had been moving quite nicely, and there is a sudden influx of FP+ that brings it to a grinding halt. This seems to be worst at Jungle Cruise.

The biggest negative to me about FP+ is the effect it has had on the lower tier attractions. I always expect long lines at the top tier attractions, but the other ones are really what makes the day and gave you the feeling you were temporarily getting away from the crowds.

Edward M

A few occasions where the wait was off I can remember recently
LM: posted 20: waited 10
iasw: posted 20: waited 10
HM: posted 35: waited 15
Pirates: posted 40: waited 15
ToT: posted 40: waited 20.
TT Single Rider: posted 40: walked on.
For anything under an hour, you ought to just take your chances (unless it has a bad capacity like Peter Pan, TSMM, Buzz, etc.)

YozhikRoth

In my MBA program the professor presented a case on WDW to illustrate queue management. Though the class was 10 years ago, he went through Disney's bag of tricks on how to analyze crowds and direct them to under-utilized and higher-capacity areas of the parks. In particular we discussed how presented wait times are deliberately over/under-inflated to direct crowds accordingly. I personally use crowdsourced apps whenever I need waiting times.

maxime29

Premium Member
Could someone explain why a ride like Test Track right at EPCOT opening would already advertise a 30 minute wait? Is that just a guesstimate of how long it is likely to be based on previous data at an 8:00am opening?

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Could someone explain why a ride like Test Track right at EPCOT opening would already advertise a 30 minute wait? Is that just a guesstimate of how long it is likely to be based on previous data at an 8:00am opening?
Either that or more likely just crowd manipulation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom