Dolphin Info Needed - and a Dolphin Story

twag1

Original Poster
I'm sure this info is floating out here, but to be honest, maybe being a little too lazy to pull together! So sorry in advance for those that have already supplied this stuff ten times, but I'll give you a quick story you may like as payment!

Looking at the Dolphin as a potential for the next visit but have not stayed there "post-band". From what I remember reading, you have to purchase the bands, and I THINK I read there are time restrictions of some sort when reserving attractions or dining.

I would guess you'd have to purchase the band right away to get everything linked up?

I usually get a car, but might skip that in part because of the parking charge. We're on the fence about flying or pulling a "Clark Griswold", leaving Aunt Edna at home, and driving it. If we drive, the parking thing is a moot point, if we don't, wondering if you get the same bus/baggage privileges as the other resorts.

I know dining plan is not an option, but most in the group don't care - less our one dessert junky.

Any recent experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the story as sort of a thank you for responses. It's a Disney board - - we like Disney stories....

Have stayed at both Swan & Dolphin. Really enjoy the properties, and can't beat the location.

We're at the Dolphin and we have this long trek to our rooms - they're at the end of a hall - the last two rooms. Didn't mind the walk at all, as it was quiet as heck down there. One morning, I'm waiting for the others out in the hall - and this door at the end of the hall that I had been wondering about finally got the best of me.

There were a few step to get to it, so what it led to was up above the actual floor. Door was unlocked, meaning that, of course, is an open invitation to take a peek.

I open the door and there I am - with clear access to the roof - and THEE Dolphin itself. In looking at pictures now, I'm not exactly sure logistically where I was standing and how that worked. But I was faced with one of those choices like you see in the cartoons where the angel sits on one shoulder and the devil sits on the other.

I stepped out knowing I didn't want to let the door slam behind me in case it couldn't be opened from the outside. So....

A younger version of me would have been in the room to grab the phonebook to prop the door, and all over that roof snapping amazing pictures - despite knowing I wasn't supposed to be out there.

The older version - the one listening to the angel - was wondering if I had set off an alarm somewhere perhaps - and maybe already Mickey Police had been dispatched to investigate. At the risk of creating unwelcomed vacation drama, I just stretched out as far as I could without letting the door shut, looked around a bit, then went back in the room prior to the SWAT team arriving - - which I don't think they ever did

In retrospect, I did the right thing I suppose - - but wish I would have taken at least ONE picture. Was so shocked at realizing where I was, never even thought to do that!

As it was, that was still a pretty cool view.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any tips!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm sure this info is floating out here, but to be honest, maybe being a little too lazy to pull together! So sorry in advance for those that have already supplied this stuff ten times, but I'll give you a quick story you may like as payment!

Looking at the Dolphin as a potential for the next visit but have not stayed there "post-band". From what I remember reading, you have to purchase the bands, and I THINK I read there are time restrictions of some sort when reserving attractions or dining.

I would guess you'd have to purchase the band right away to get everything linked up?

I usually get a car, but might skip that in part because of the parking charge. We're on the fence about flying or pulling a "Clark Griswold", leaving Aunt Edna at home, and driving it. If we drive, the parking thing is a moot point, if we don't, wondering if you get the same bus/baggage privileges as the other resorts.

I know dining plan is not an option, but most in the group don't care - less our one dessert junky.

Any recent experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the story as sort of a thank you for responses. It's a Disney board - - we like Disney stories....

Have stayed at both Swan & Dolphin. Really enjoy the properties, and can't beat the location.

We're at the Dolphin and we have this long trek to our rooms - they're at the end of a hall - the last two rooms. Didn't mind the walk at all, as it was quiet as heck down there. One morning, I'm waiting for the others out in the hall - and this door at the end of the hall that I had been wondering about finally got the best of me.

There were a few step to get to it, so what it led to was up above the actual floor. Door was unlocked, meaning that, of course, is an open invitation to take a peek.

I open the door and there I am - with clear access to the roof - and THEE Dolphin itself. In looking at pictures now, I'm not exactly sure logistically where I was standing and how that worked. But I was faced with one of those choices like you see in the cartoons where the angel sits on one shoulder and the devil sits on the other.

I stepped out knowing I didn't want to let the door slam behind me in case it couldn't be opened from the outside. So....

A younger version of me would have been in the room to grab the phonebook to prop the door, and all over that roof snapping amazing pictures - despite knowing I wasn't supposed to be out there.

The older version - the one listening to the angel - was wondering if I had set off an alarm somewhere perhaps - and maybe already Mickey Police had been dispatched to investigate. At the risk of creating unwelcomed vacation drama, I just stretched out as far as I could without letting the door shut, looked around a bit, then went back in the room prior to the SWAT team arriving - - which I don't think they ever did

In retrospect, I did the right thing I suppose - - but wish I would have taken at least ONE picture. Was so shocked at realizing where I was, never even thought to do that!

As it was, that was still a pretty cool view.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any tips!

Yes, you do not get free bands, you have to buy them. You can also choose to just use your ticket card if you like. You do get the same 60 day advanced Fastpass reservations, just like when you stay on site. Once you get your tickets you can use your Swan/Dolphin confirmation number to link your hotel reservation to your tickets on the MDE web site.

Swan/Dolphin uses the Disney buses to the parks just like any other Disney resort, but you do not get access to Magical Express.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
A few things about the D/S. I usually stay there once or twice a year, using SPG points. That being said you get dinged for a $25 a night resort fee and a $20 night self parking charge. My "free" hotel room ends up costing about $50 a night. Still not bad but there will be a few charges over and above the room rate you need to be aware of.

Disney transportation is a plus, you can walk to DHS and Epcot or take one of the boats. You will get EMH. You won't get bands or charging privileges on the band. The bus transportation is shared between the Swan, Dolphin, YC, and BC. So depending on if your coming or going, and time of day, it may best to catch the bus to MK or AK from the Swan.

Disney Gift Cards and AP discounts won't work there, but The Boardwalk is a short walk.

I usually request the 3rd floor, which is lobby level, so as to avoid the elevators (I'm usually lugging around a double seat stroller and will opt for convenience over view)

Last edited:

twag1

Original Poster
Disney transportation is a plus, you can walk to DHS and Epcot or take one of the boats. You will get EMH. You won't get bands or charging priveledges on the band.

Thank you both. To this....

Not sure if this is the correct term or not, but it sounds like you're more or less "trapped" into buying the band if you want to use the Fastpass process - - am I interpreting that correctly?

And thank you for the note about the resort fee. I knew about parking, but either forgot about the fee or the last time we stayed there, it wasn't in place yet.

We actually like the band. After getting a comfort level last time, pretty much left the wallets and purses "at home" in the room. With limited capabilities on the band, not sure I would like that all that much.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Do you still have your "old" band? If so, just make sure it is still linked to your account (and link your hotel stay) on MDE. The bands don't expire. In fact, I have 7 bands and three cards that are linked. I could use any one of those on my next visit. They are all linked to your account on MDE.

It won't solve the problem of charging to the band but you can get your FP. Also if you have an AMEX card you can go to Lowe's and buy a $150 Disney Gift Card and get $30 back as a statement credit. Nothing to complain about with a free $30. This AMEX offer ends Monday (tomorrow). Just make sure you link your AMEX card to the promotion on AMEX's website before purchasing. I just did it on 3 AMEX cards (so a Free $90). But remember you can't use the Disney Gift Cards at the Swan or Dolphin. Just at the parks, Resorts, or DS.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Thank you both. To this....

Not sure if this is the correct term or not, but it sounds like you're more or less "trapped" into buying the band if you want to use the Fastpass process - - am I interpreting that correctly?

And thank you for the note about the resort fee. I knew about parking, but either forgot about the fee or the last time we stayed there, it wasn't in place yet.

We actually like the band. After getting a comfort level last time, pretty much left the wallets and purses "at home" in the room. With limited capabilities on the band, not sure I would like that all that much.

No, you do not need the band. The park ticket you get from Disney will be an RFID enabled card that can be used just like the band.

Sabrina D

Per room per night. Even with the resort and parking fee you can often get these hotels at a lower price then other Epoct area hotels.
I have heard about the nice price point. That's why I asked if the fee was per person since it would stack up if you weren't alone and could make a difference. Is the parking fee automatic or only charged if you actually arrive with a car? I do love the location of the Dolphin and it has my favorite restaurant too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have heard about the nice price point. That's why I asked if the fee was per person since it would stack up if you weren't alone and could make a difference. Is the parking fee automatic or only charged if you actually arrive with a car? I do love the location of the Dolphin and it has my favorite restaurant too.

You only pay the parking fee if you have a car. It works out good for me since I never get a car, and we take the train down so we can't use Magical Express anyway.

jlsHouston

I've only stayed at the Dolphin, this next trip we are trying the Swan for the first time. I always have a crappy check-in experience at the Dolphin, either the room we reserved isn't ready, or available, or they have something screwbally with my rate. That being said, I enjoy the Dolphin almost as much as I do the YC/BC. I love the water and starbucks coffee in the rooms. Love the lobby and pool and love that it is part of the EPCOT resort area. I'm excited to stay at the SWAN because I think the rooms have been updated and I was just at the Dolphin this past April for a weekend and the room was looking pretty raggedy.
I hate the parking at the Dolphin. I feel like the fact that I have to pay for parking, and it's always packed when I am there and it's such a hike annoys me. I could valet so, but then it's another 5 bucks a day plus tipping. That is one thing I really love about Disney resorts is parking. I'm sure part of the reason I love the POLY is I love their parking lot...it's such an easy walk to the resort from almost any place in their lot..
I don't think you have to have bands to make your FP+ choices, you just need the ticket and a disney account on the website.
And I LOVE your Dolphin story.

twag1

Original Poster
and the room was looking pretty raggedy.
I hate the parking at the Dolphin. I feel like the fact that I have to pay for parking, and it's always packed when I am there and it's such a hike annoys me. I could valet so, but then it's another 5 bucks a day plus tipping. That is one thing I really love about Disney resorts is parking. I'm sure part of the reason I love the POLY is I love their parking lot...it's such an easy walk to the resort from almost any place in their lot..
I don't think you have to have bands to make your FP+ choices, you just need the ticket and a disney account on the website.
And I LOVE your Dolphin story.

Thanks!

I remember thinking "tired" - but raggedy works, too, Not a horrible room by any stretch of the imagination - just that it was time for some TLC.

The one thing the Swan has going for it is the balcony. We were right above the boat launch, looking out toward the "bay" or whatever you want to call it. Was just nice to sit out there in the morning or evening and take in the view.

Thanks for the info on FP. We do have our old bands - sounds like they should work, so might have that covered.

twag1

Original Poster
Do you still have your "old" band? If so, just make sure it is still linked to your account (and link your hotel stay) on MDE. The bands don't expire. In fact, I have 7 bands and three cards that are linked. I could use any one of those on my next visit. They are all linked to your account on MDE.

It won't solve the problem of charging to the band but you can get your FP. Also if you have an AMEX card you can go to Lowe's and buy a $150 Disney Gift Card and get $30 back as a statement credit. Nothing to complain about with a free $30. This AMEX offer ends Monday (tomorrow). Just make sure you link your AMEX card to the promotion on AMEX's website before purchasing. I just did it on 3 AMEX cards (so a Free $90). But remember you can't use the Disney Gift Cards at the Swan or Dolphin. Just at the parks, Resorts, or DS.

Thanks to all for clearing up the FP for me - and we do have the old bands so I could fall back on those if necessary the way it sounds.

I'm one of those crazy people that actually enjoy the pre-planning of these visits, even though it can be frustrating at times - and certainly takes a LOT of time.

Wading through trip planning again - would hate to be a newbie and try to figure it all out without a base knowledge of park logistics, transportation options, reserving stuff, etc.

Unless you stumble across this site, of course!!!

Sabrina D

I'm one of those crazy people that actually enjoy the pre-planning of these visits, even though it can be frustrating at times - and certainly takes a LOT of time.
I'm one of those crazy people too!
I actually think that needing to plan every detail of a Disney trip in advance makes the actual vacation a joy. I completely relax on Disney vacations. Everything is already decided. I can turn my brain off. On other trips....even just beach weeks....I feel like I'm constantly stressing over what to do next-- where to eat, should we swim or rent a boat, what do we do now because it's raining, etc. etc. It's stressful to keep everyone entertained without all the planning decided ahead of time.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I'm one of those crazy people too!
I actually think that needing to plan every detail of a Disney trip in advance makes the actual vacation a joy. I completely relax on Disney vacations. Everything is already decided. I can turn my brain off. On other trips....even just beach weeks....I feel like I'm constantly stressing over what to do next-- where to eat, should we swim or rent a boat, what do we do now because it's raining, etc. etc. It's stressful to keep everyone entertained without all the planning decided ahead of time.
I also love planning Disney vacations. They do take a lot of time, but I almost find them "easier" to plan than others just because there is so much information out there. My family went to NY/Boston in spring, and I found that trip a lot harder to plan. Just trying to figure out activities, hotels, transportation, it made me wish I was planning a Disney trip.

twag1

Original Poster
Thanks for the assistance. Despite the Dolphin location which we really like - in particular the boat ride to the EPCOT "secret entrance" - looks like we're heading to the balmy Caribbean. Have never stayed there before, get full capabilities of the band (I actually like the band), and one of us is a big dining plan fan - - so that probably pushes us that way.

This trip will take me full circle - from taking a young child, to taking "big" kids, to adult visits - - and now the first time as a Grandpa. She will be too little to remember anything which is just fine - - because that means we have to go again!

And now the detail planning starts!

jlsHouston

Thanks for the assistance. Despite the Dolphin location which we really like - in particular the boat ride to the EPCOT "secret entrance" - looks like we're heading to the balmy Caribbean. Have never stayed there before, get full capabilities of the band (I actually like the band), and one of us is a big dining plan fan - - so that probably pushes us that way.

This trip will take me full circle - from taking a young child, to taking "big" kids, to adult visits - - and now the first time as a Grandpa. She will be too little to remember anything which is just fine - - because that means we have to go again!

And now the detail planning starts!

CBR? We stayed there on our second visit. I think it was Jamaica house which the location was decent/ There was a little courtyard right outside our building that I would sit out in and drink my first coffee in the mornings. I don't remember eating on property. I think every meal was either in the parks or a Character dining event. The thing I liked the most about CBR were the hammocks on the sandy beach. I actually napped on one,,,,

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I've stayed at either the Dolphin or Swan the last 4 trips, and clearly is our go to. You certainly don't get the full Disney experience but if that doesn't bother you, they are both really the best value's in my mind. The location of course is the biggest plus.

The only bad experience I have had was at the Dolphin which was on our last trip. The room they gave us smelled like mold and didn't seem very clean. They moved us with no questions asked which was nice. The Dolphin is a little outdated and stale but that will change in the next year or so once they refurb the rooms. The new Swan rooms are fantastic.

bristowe

Hi I am booked at the swan and when booking my ADR'S, unlike staying at a Disney property, it only allowed me to book my restaurants day by day rather than all on day 180. I got what I needed but am unsure if I would get what I needed if the same thing happens with my fastpass reservations on day 60. I booked my rate online, used the reservation number and have been assured by 2 different swan front desk staff that I will be able to book all fastpass on day 60 (rather than day by day, as each day of my trip becomes day 60 over the course of a week). Thanks so much in advance! I am a planner too I am hopeful someone can help ease my mind ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom