Does Mr. Toad's Wild Ride fall into the category of "absence makes the heart grow fonder?"

Scooter

Say what you want about Mister Toad but I was in Disney World a lot in the 80's and there were never any long lines to ride it except on holiday weekends. I can't tell you how many times my wife and I were the only ones on that attraction back then. In my opinion, all the newer and advanced technology killed that ride. It was too short, too boring, and too old for most folks back then and I never understood all the hype when it closed down. I certainly understand why some people people are nostalgic though as it probably brings back some fond memories of their childhood Disney trips with Grandma and Grandpa and/or Mommy and Daddy. But for me personally, I just remember how boring it was with the silly twists and turns and day glo painted characters.

LUVofDIS

My first time to WDW was in 94, and Toad was one of the most memorable. We ended up riding that attraction a few more times. I have no idea as to whether it would be popular if brought back today. I know I would love it. I personally don't need tech to be entertained, a good attraction must rely on more than just tech, it needs story, interest, excitement, etc.

Texas84

It's probably nostalgia for me but whenever I go to DLR I have to ride it. It was my favorite when I was a kid in California. And I was upset when it closed at WDW. I love getting hit by the train and going to hell.

MacVenture

Definitely nostalgia for me. It was never my first choice of rides at the Magic Kingdom. Back in the day (before Fast passes) you just had to stand in line and wait. I had much rather wait for Peter Pan, Space Mountain, etc... It was more of a check box so you could then head over to the other side of the park.

Of course, it would be my first choice if it were resurrected!

This is so much like that childhood movie you recall in adulthood as AWESOME! I mean as a kid you loved it. Of course (strange as it sounds) I loved the 80's Flash Gordon movie. One day I decided to watch it as an adult. Let's just say after about 15mins, I HAD to turned it off. Once reality hit me (that movie sucked!!) I regressed back to my story-Man, as a kids that movie rocked! Sometimes it is best just leave things as they were.

Networth

I loved it as a kid in WDW, and was sad it see it go. I rode it at DL earlier this year for the first time since I was a kid. Loved it, I would say it is part nostalgia but I think there is something to be said about the classic original dark rides. I would not mind if it returned to WDW, but I am pretty sure I will have to fly out West anytime I wish to visit Toad Manor.

mergatroid

When we grow up we look at things differently and when they're gone, even more so. Toad was fun when I was very young and as I got older it looked very basic and mundane. When it went I read people saying how good it was citing the same reasons that some of them used to slate other rides? It was cheap and cheerful, you could see how much of it was put together and it was very basic.

I'm sure that many of the posters on here are now of a certain age that don't enjoy things built for kids (like Toad was). When that happens now many on here complain about it and criticise the building of said attraction. I'm sure were something built nowadays that matched the basic model of toad, it would be seriously hammered as being terrible by many on here.

So yes it had charm for some, but for many at the time it was a 'filler attraction' unless they had kids, or went on it originally themselves as kids. It's like Frozen or Slinky Dog is now (yet not as sophisticated), the kids love it as it's designed more for them than older guests. As it's gone it's easy to remember the fun we had on it once without it being there for us to revisit and see the obvious flaws it had.

ryguy

As a kid I absolutely loved the ride. I was bummed when it was replaced. Was so excited when I went out to Disneyland and saw that it was still there. I was excited to see my boys faces when riding because of my fond memories. Well they thought it sucked. Total buzz kill for me. I will admit I didn't think it was so great either. So I think I agree with Goofynmost when he says most of us who rode it as kids have fond memories and a bit of nostalgia. That being said I would rather have toad than pooh. And I would trade Toad and Pooh for Horizons ;)

Mickey5150

I think most rides do fall under the absence makes the heart grow fonder category, just as anything in life does. The real issue for WDW rides that are replaced is not that the new ride is bad but with all of this space they supposedly have in WDW what is the point of replacing in the first place. I wish Mr. Toad stuck around and we got Winnie the Pooh, but stick Pooh over by Splash and Big Thunder so there is something for little kids.

Goofyernmost

But that's not a fair comparison because a kid who grew up in that era is not the same as a kid now who has options like FOP, Toy Story Mania, Harry Potter's Castle, Star Wars Void etc.

You have to think of the rides that were available when Mr. Toad was around when you were a kid.
Well, it's more then that as well. For one thing, even in 1983 the character of Mr. Toad was not really popular because the IP had long before aged out of the main stream consciousness. No one knew about Mr. Toad. Heck I was 35 when I first saw it and I had never heard of Mr. Toad, ever. Winnie, however, is still going strong in the mind and consciousness, it is still a viable story.

Toad was OK for what it was, which as I stated before, was really close to being an off the shelf carnival ride, it was fun, for young kids and they have very fond memories of the ride, but, no knowledge of the background of Mr. Toad so I guess that part wasn't all that important. When Mr. Toad was put into Disneyland and even WDW, it was very close to the reality of traveling carnivals and the most popular things for kids in those carnivals was the fun house. Mr. Toad filled that connection. But as someone else mentioned, if they were to put in the same type of attraction today, the Disney Police would have one aneurysm after another. "That's not what Disney is all about" would be the battle cry along with "what would Walt think." 'For everything there is a season' applies mostly to theme parks. :)

Smiley/OCD

I'll give another example. Soarin. That used to be the #1 ride in Disney. But now FOP is. And Soarin has dropped down alot. Is that nostalgia if you used to love Soarin? Or is FOP that much better that it makes Soarin insignificant.

When the Harry Potter Castle ride at Universal first came out it was ground breaking. And then Universal started going crazy with screens. But now that's old technology.

So I would say there is a difference between "Nostalgia" and technology/advancement just outpacing an older ride.
Yes about Soarin', BUT IMHO, one of the reasons Soarin' has fallen off is because of the switch to the new, theme...the ride was MUCH better with the Cali version. I still want them to reinstall the Cali version in one theater, and keep the newer version in the other two...that would satisfy the guests and fans.

Goofyernmost

Yes about Soarin', BUT IMHO, one of the reasons Soarin' has fallen off is because of the switch to the new, theme...the ride was MUCH better with the Cali version. I still want them to reinstall the Cali version in one theater, and keep the newer version in the other two...that would satisfy the guests and fans.
The fact that FOP is NEW has more to do with that then the loss of interest in Soarin. I saw the new version and it wasn't what I was seeing on the screen it was the way I was seeing it on the screen. (old or new) It is a non-confining, non-jolting, pleasant ride where you experience no anxiety and it is still in demand, but, Epcot itself isn't drawing like it used too, except for the Choke and Puke festivals and that is in World Showcase for the most part. The concern about the minor distortion to me is over played, the majority still enjoy it even if they notice it, because that is a few minor seconds in an other wise interesting calming ride. So like I say, FOP is new, give it 13 years like Soarin and then make the comparison compared to what Soarin is now. The fact that the requirement to ride FOP is that you can fold your body up like and accordion will limit it's popularity over time, in my opinion.

The same is going to happen to FOP once Star Wars Land is open and operating. Then that will be the new kid on the block. Pandora in general is going to have an interest reduction when compared to Star Wars.

John park hopper

I liked Mr Toads wild ride --yes it was corny and on the level of a carnival ride may be thats why I liked it. Not something I would ride over and over again once a visit was enough unlike most sad to see it go.

Smiley/OCD

The fact that FOP is NEW has more to do with that then the loss of interest in Soarin. I saw the new version and it wasn't what I was seeing on the screen it was the way I was seeing it on the screen. (old or new) It is a non-confining, non-jolting, pleasant ride where you experience no anxiety and it is still in demand, but, Epcot itself isn't drawing like it used too, except for the Choke and Puke festivals and that is in World Showcase for the most part. The concern about the minor distortion to me is over played, the majority still enjoy it even if they notice it, because that is a few minor seconds in an other wise interesting calming ride. So like I say, FOP is new, give it 13 years like Soarin and then make the comparison compared to what Soarin is now. The fact that the requirement to ride FOP is that you can fold your body up like and accordion will limit it's popularity over time, in my opinion.

The same is going to happen to FOP once Star Wars Land is open and operating. Then that will be the new kid on the block. Pandora in general is going to have an interest reduction when compared to Star Wars.

That's why I said ONE of the reasons, not THE reason...of course I realize that every new attraction is going to ease the lines and demands at existing attractions.

Distant

Funny story about Mr. Toad.

Took the family to DW in 96- including my oldest-almost 10, and the youngest, almost 3.
We went to MK in the AM, which included riding Mr. Toad.
It was nothing special to oldest, but it scared youngest to death.
We were all so excited about DW that it never occurred to us it would bother youngest. We just got on after another kids' ride.
That afternoon we went to HS so oldest could ride Tower of Terror for the first time, which of course she talked about all day.

Afterward, youngest swore he rode on the "Towah of Ter-wah" in the AM- meaning Mr. Toad.
I didn't have the heart to correct him.

jamescobalt

Big fan of the Magic Kingdom version - was my favorite ride in Fantasyland. The DL version doesn't feel the same what with only having one track; the sense of chaos is a bit lost. Would love a trackless reimagining but the theme of drunk driving probably wouldn't work in today's park.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

That's why I said ONE of the reasons, not THE reason...of course I realize that every new attraction is going to ease the lines and demands at existing attractions.
Yes, I know you said one of the reasons, but, what I disagree with is that it has anything to do with it at all. I don't feel, in my opinion, that the new film in anyway affected it. From what I understand, Soarin does not have as long a wait as it once did, but, I feel that addition of the third theater had the largest affect on that.

I, of course could be wrong, but, I really just don't see that as the problem. I feel that only a few highly focused Disney purist would care at all about that minor distortion. Even the fake parts that I have been told were manufactured seemed to work flawlessly in the show. I never noticed anything about them that appeared fake other then the elephant throwing dirt at us and a couple of minor but amusing transitional scenes. I contend that there were a lot of "manufactured affects in the original as well. Unless someone can explain to me who hit that golf ball that accurately that was a huge manufactured scene.

Heck, I don't remember the original as having any transitional effort made at all. It just went from one scene to another. One second you are flying over a crowded highway at night and with no warning you were in Disneyland. I understand what you were saying and you are entitled to you opinion, I just don't see it the same way.

tl77

Since they only seem to build rides based on current popular films, I don't think very many people today would know or appreciate Mr. Toad. I didn't really know who Mr. Toad was when I was a kid in the 1980's, but I could recognize that the ride was basically the same type of dark rides we had at the regional amusements park near my home in the Northeast. It was an alright ride, I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't as impressive as the state-of-the-art attractions at EPCOT in the 1980s, EPCOT was the reason the go to WDW back then for me, I would have rather been at EPCOT than on a ride that to me wasn't all that different from what you could see in the Philly suburbs or at the Jersey Shore... and Mr. Toad went away right around the time Test Track opened, which to me was a much more "wild ride". I always liked the crazy artwork in Mr. Toad, the train effect, and little devils, but I think Winnie the Pooh is really good attraction that maybe doesn't get the respect it deserves because it replaced Mr. Toad.

Animaniac93-98

As a kid I absolutely loved the ride. I was bummed when it was replaced. Was so excited when I went out to Disneyland and saw that it was still there. I was excited to see my boys faces when riding because of my fond memories. Well they thought it sucked. Total buzz kill for me. I will admit I didn't think it was so great either. So I think I agree with Goofynmost when he says most of us who rode it as kids have fond memories and a bit of nostalgia. That being said I would rather have toad than pooh. And I would trade Toad and Pooh for Horizons ;)

Toad in California is not the same as WDW was. The WDW version was longer, had two tracks with different scenes and a different style to how the sets and characters were painted.

While I am glad it's still around in California, it's not as good, even if it's prettier on the outside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom