Does going to WDW too often, take away some of the magic for kids?

Sparkle81

Original Poster
My DH and I took our DS for his first WDW trip last month, and he absolutely adored it. We had such a brilliant time, so we're going back again in November, when he will be 3. Although it's still a way off, we're starting to talk about next year's trip. We would love to go to California & take him to Disneyland but we're not sure if the flight & time difference would be too much for a 4 year old. Also, we would have to take an internal flight very early (like 5am) to get down to Heathrow in time for an LA flight as there are no direct flights from Manchester. So it would make it a super long day... It would be 'easier' to go back to WDW as we know he loves it and can cope with the time difference etc, and it's also a bonus to get the free DDP when we book. But, would it be overkill to go back 3 years in a row? Would it take away some of the magic of the previous trips to go again, as if it's nothing special? Has anyone had experience of this? :)

bearandbuzz

I have two children, they were 3 & 5 when we first went in 2011. We had a great holiday and they both (obviously) enjoyed it. When we would reminisce my youngest new what we were talking about through pictures but not so much through memory.
We went back last year (2013) when they were 5 & 7, and had an even better holiday! It was great not to have a pushchair and my youngest wanted to much more then he wanted to do before. We had initially held back telling they were going then did a big reveal for their Christmas present, I'm not sure if they were more excited or we were! This time we stayed on site rather then offsite and had some extremely magical moments (being in the magic kingdom parade, getting lots of pixie dust thrown our way :) )
Two months after we came back we all had massive disney fever and dh and I made the decision to go back in 2014, this time we told the boys from the start. They have been involved with different decisions we have made and have helped mot decided which adrs we will book. They are excited to be going and can't wait to do all the things they loved before, along with some new bits. We are again going to stay on site, but initially I wondered whether because we had such a magical time last year if it would be overkill by going this year as well. My fears have been demolished though as I have seen how much my two want to go back, there reasons are not for the extras we did,but instead for the characters, rides, swimming pools etc.
What I'm trying to say is that, each holiday will be different. As they grow older they will want to experience different things, along with their old favourites. Dh and I have said that we will continue to go as many times as we can afford and they boys want to go. We emphasise how they are extremely lucky to go as it cost salon of money and we also say that we can't do other things in the uk as we are saving for America and I think they understand that it is a treat to go there rather then becoming I complacent about it.

bearandbuzz

Also, with regards to the early flight - we travel to gatwick to mco and always have to get up at the crack of dawn to get there in time. The boys cope with it much better then we do, although we have an easy day at around day 3 as tempers get a little short by this point. This year we managed to get a deal with an overnight stay in a hilton hotel with parking included at gatwick from holiday extras, which worked out to be the same price as what we would normally pay for a taxi to take us there and back! If it's the long day you are worried about maybe you could look into something similar?

Betsyboo

My son who is now 10 had his first visit at 5, second at 7 and third at 9. We are planning another trip for him next year when he's 11. Like @bearandbuzz said they have all been different trips. The first was filled with character interaction and autographs the second was trying the "big" rides and last year's visit was just fun!

Sparkle81

Original Poster
I have two children, they were 3 & 5 when we first went in 2011. We had a great holiday and they both (obviously) enjoyed it. When we would reminisce my youngest new what we were talking about through pictures but not so much through memory.
We went back last year (2013) when they were 5 & 7, and had an even better holiday! It was great not to have a pushchair and my youngest wanted to much more then he wanted to do before. We had initially held back telling they were going then did a big reveal for their Christmas present, I'm not sure if they were more excited or we were! This time we stayed on site rather then offsite and had some extremely magical moments (being in the magic kingdom parade, getting lots of pixie dust thrown our way :) )
Two months after we came back we all had massive disney fever and dh and I made the decision to go back in 2014, this time we told the boys from the start. They have been involved with different decisions we have made and have helped mot decided which adrs we will book. They are excited to be going and can't wait to do all the things they loved before, along with some new bits. We are again going to stay on site, but initially I wondered whether because we had such a magical time last year if it would be overkill by going this year as well. My fears have been demolished though as I have seen how much my two want to go back, there reasons are not for the extras we did,but instead for the characters, rides, swimming pools etc.
What I'm trying to say is that, each holiday will be different. As they grow older they will want to experience different things, along with their old favourites. Dh and I have said that we will continue to go as many times as we can afford and they boys want to go. We emphasise how they are extremely lucky to go as it cost salon of money and we also say that we can't do other things in the uk as we are saving for America and I think they understand that it is a treat to go there rather then becoming I complacent about it.
I love this way of thinking, that each holiday will be different. Of course, you're absolutely right. As he gets older, he will be able to do different things and have more input in what he actually wants to do, and that will make each trip unique :)

Sparkle81

Original Poster
Also, with regards to the early flight - we travel to gatwick to mco and always have to get up at the crack of dawn to get there in time. The boys cope with it much better then we do, although we have an easy day at around day 3 as tempers get a little short by this point. This year we managed to get a deal with an overnight stay in a hilton hotel with parking included at gatwick from holiday extras, which worked out to be the same price as what we would normally pay for a taxi to take us there and back! If it's the long day you are worried about maybe you could look into something similar?
We're quite spoilt as we live close to Manchester Airport, so we didn't have to get up too early to get to the airport with the flight being 11.15am. Also, we know that it's a direct flight. We're more concerned with having an internal flight to Heathrow at a crazy early time, then having to get on another flight to LA which is longer than the flight to Orlando, as well as dealing with an 8 hour time difference instead of 5. Staying over at a hotel at Heathrow overnight & just doing the LA flight the next day, is a very good idea though. Thanks! :)

Sparkle81

Original Poster
My son who is now 10 had his first visit at 5, second at 7 and third at 9. We are planning another trip for him next year when he's 11. Like @bearandbuzz said they have all been different trips. The first was filled with character interaction and autographs the second was trying the "big" rides and last year's visit was just fun!
Thanks for your reply :)

We're planning on staying at different resorts each time & mixing up the ADRs so I guess that, coupled with him being older and having more input in what he wants to do, will make each experience different :)

stevehousse

My boys first trips were both at 18 months and we have pretty much gone every year except 1 since then. Last year we went twice! The older my kids get, they get to experience more and new things and the height requirement rides really becomes more fun once they pass that threshold! I will say that 2 1/2 years is a good start age for the kids to really start to have fun and take it all in! We are already planning our trip for this May!

Sparkle81

Original Poster
My boys first trips were both at 18 months and we have pretty much gone every year except 1 since then. Last year we went twice! The older my kids get, they get to experience more and new things and the height requirement rides really becomes more fun once they pass that threshold! I will say that 2 1/2 years is a good start age for the kids to really start to have fun and take it all in! We are already planning our trip for this May!
That's great to hear :) I'm sure if we lived in the States, we'd be tempted to go more than once a year, too!

Sparkle81

Original Poster
I took my kids way too much when they were little. By the time they were 10, they hated going because they were just over it.
How often did you go, out of interest?
Once we decide on next year's trip one way or another, we were thinking of alternating WDW with *another place* every other year.

Laura

Premium Member
How often did you go, out of interest?
Once we decide on next year's trip one way or another, we were thinking of alternating WDW with *another place* every other year.

10 WDW vacations from 2004 to 2009. Then I moved to California, right up the street from Disneyland, and started taking them to Disneyland every month. After a couple months, they didn't want to go anymore. I've stopped buying them annual passes and only go when they're at school because they aren't interested. I brought them back to WDW in 2011 and they were "meh" about it. Preferred hanging out at the pool over going into the parks.

To be honest, I'm pretty bored of the parks myself!

Sparkle81

Original Poster
10 WDW vacations from 2004 to 2009. Then I moved to California, right up the street from Disneyland, and started taking them to Disneyland every month. After a couple months, they didn't want to go anymore. I've stopped buying them annual passes and only go when they're at school because they aren't interested. I brought them back to WDW in 2011 and they were "meh" about it. Preferred hanging out at the pool over going into the parks.

To be honest, I'm pretty bored of the parks myself!
Sounds like a dream to anyone looking at it from the outside, but I can totally get why it would be overkill. No chance of us managing that many trips, that's for sure!

boilerpicc

No! I am almost 35. From the time I was 2 until about 20, I went every other year to WDW with my parents and brother. From age 20 until now, we have gone almost every year. Now our group has expanded to include my husband, my sister-in-law, and my daughter. For us, the magic has never gone away. People always seem astonished that we continue to go there every year for vacation, especially once we all became adults. I just laugh at them. Disney World has grown from being a fun place to go on vacation to being a place filled with wonderful memories of my family and growing up. I can remember my brother being obsessed with Davy Crockett, making stuffed animal displays in our room windows, getting to be in the play with the World Showcase Players (which they are still doing 20+ years later), the time my dad fell backwards in his chair at LTT, making my brother laugh so hard he snorted ice cream out of his nose, turning my husband (who is from Florida) into a Disney fan, meeting my brother's future wife, etc. The list can go on and on. Every place we go now reminds us of some story or inside joke. And just when I thought the experiences couldn't get any better, we took my 15 month old daughter to see Mickey Mouse on our last trip. I didn't know if she would realize what was going on or not. Her eyes lit up, and she was so excited. She grabbed hold of his leg and wouldn't really let go. That moment was a magic enough to last a lifetime. I am so excited to share all of fun I had on vacations growing up with her as she grows up. I hope that she loves it as much as the rest of us do.

So, in rambling summary, I don't think you can ruin the magic. You just find new kinds of magic as you grow up.

HouCuseChickie

My girls are currently ages 5 and 7...they've been to WDW four times. I don't think any of the magic really goes away when you start young...I think it just changes. We try very hard to make each trip different- from different lodging- new restaurants- new special things - etc. They're also getting taller with each trip and aren't scaring as easily...so each trip brings them new things they can do. Ultimately, they still beg to go back all the time ... now if only DH shared our love of WDW.

erins3204

Not at all! We used to go yearly or every other year when I was a kid. I LOVED it! Still do to this day. I'm local now and take my kids all the time. My 3 year old daughter asks to go all the time (of course!). It's so much fun and is such great family time together.

PolynesianPrincess

From the time I was a year old until I was 12, we went to WDW yearly. Did I get tired of it? Never. I was ALWAYS super excited to go. I think had we gone more often, say 2-3 times a year, I might have gotten a little bit tired of it by the time I was 12. That's actually happening now to us. I'm 31 and have been to WDW 8 times in the last 3 years. With the rate they are (or should I say AREN'T) adding anything new, it's getting a little stale for us. I do think that is due to the multiple times a year visit. If we went yearly, I think it would definitely be exciting again. Not that I am 100% not excited to go to WDW when we go, it's just the anticipation and build up isn't the same.

Weather_Lady

Growing up, my parents took me every 2-3 years, which I think is just about right. Any more often than that, and we'd have "been there, done that" for everything. With 2-3 years between visits and with the visits being relatively short (less than a week), there were always things left on our list of "to-dos for next time." Of course, back then, if 2-3 years had passed, you could also expect there to be a number of new attractions (or even a new park!) that you hadn't seen before, and they would be in addition to (not instead of) the former attractions. Now, not so much...

I guess this is one way of looking on the bright side of the fact that we're not well-off: at present, we can't afford to go more than once every 2-3 years! Win-win?!??!

3Caballeros

I agree that 2 1/2 is a good age & there are new things each trip to experience. My daughter is 5 and about go to on her 9th week long trip. We are always finding something new to make each trip magical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom