Does anyone live, legally, in Walt Disney World?

sublimesting

Original Poster
My wife and I were on a carrage ride through Fort Wilderness one year and the driver (and no it's not a bus driver so the info is sound, haha) pointed out a few large RVs that looked to have been permanently set up with tents and decor and furniture etc. She told us that those people had somehow found a loophole and live in Fort Wilderness premanently. Well, year after year, there they are, never moved!

How can this be? Who are these folks and how did they get such a sweet deal to live at Disney? Why can't Disney evict them?

WDW Monorail

People might spend a lot of time in Ft. Wilderness but they are not legal residents.
The homeowners and citizens of the cities of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake are the only legal residents of Disney World.

sublimesting

Original Poster
People might spend a lot of time in Ft. Wilderness but they are not legal residents.
The homeowners and citizens of the cities of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake are the only legal residents of Disney World.
Maybe legal resident is too strong of a wording....how about permanently staying at camp site? From what I have always known of camp sites in general they can't have permanent residents or else they are taxed as mobile home parks. These people, though, somehow, just live at Disney.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I was told that the only legal residents are the board members of the Reedy Creek Development District and a few employees that make the district.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

A five-member Board of Supervisors governs the District, elected by the landowners of the District. These members, senior employees of The Walt Disney Company, each own undeveloped five-acre (20,235 m²) lots of land within the District, the only land in the District not technically controlled by Disney or used for public road purposes. The only residents of the District, also Disney employees or their immediate family members, live in two small communities, one in each city. In the 2000 census, Bay Lake had 23 residents, all in the community on the north shore of Bay Lake, and Lake Buena Vista had 16 residents, all in the community about a mile north of Downtown Disney. These residents elect the officials of the cities, but since they don't actually own any land, they don't have any power in electing the District Board of Supervisors.

sublimesting

Original Poster
These people actually live in the campground. I'd assume not officially recognized but rather just folks who pay a nightly rate like everyone else....but just don't leave. I have since read that employees get 50% off at Fort Wilderness, so maybe they are employees who have retired and just live in their RV at Fort Wilderness. Sounds like a sweet gig to me.

GeneralKnowledge

Who are the people who live in the two little neighborhoods on property and how did they end up there. I've always felt like there has to be some kind of backstory on this.

lazyboy97o

What about Golden Oak?

It's officially called "Golden Oak at Walt Disney World Resort". I don't think it's possible to get to those $1.5M to $6M homes without driving on Disney property.

http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/
I believe Golden Oak wasoriginally going to be done by Four Seasons or some other third party, either way the land has been annexed from the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Its more in name and some amenities. Bennett Creek requires access via Walt Disney World but was never owned by Disney.

Lil Fort

I know several folks who 'live'at the Fort. I wish I was one of them! There is one in particular that I know has been there for three years if not longer. Disney no longer has special rates for extended stays at the fort, so these folks pay whatever the best rate is that they can find. Two of the people I know are castmembers, so they get their discount. It is still pretty pricey though to stay there long term.

ParentsOf4

I believe Golden Oak wasoriginally going to be done by Four Seasons or some other third party, either way the land has been annexed from the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Its more in name and some amenities. Bennett Creek requires access via Walt Disney World but was never owned by Disney.
The following is from the webpage:

– Q7. What role does Disney have in building the homes and the community?
A7. Walt Disney Imagineering created the master plan for the community. Golden Oak Development is the master developer, and Golden Oak Realty manages the sale of the homes and homesites—both of which are Disney companies. The homes are built by unaffiliated custom homebuilders who contract directly with homebuyers.

– Q8. What is Four Seasons involvement in the community?
A8. Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort will be located within the Golden Oak community, and will feature a 444-room hotel. The hotel is currently under construction and is planned to open in 2014. Residents will have access to select amenities at Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort including a Tom Fazio-designed golf course, superlative restaurants, facilities for private events, and a full-service spa.

– Q9. What municipality governs the homes at Golden Oak?
A9. Golden Oak represents the first opportunity for Guests to enjoy homeownership at Walt Disney World® Resort. Golden Oak residents are under the governance of Orange County

lazyboy97o

The following is from the webpage:

– Q7. What role does Disney have in building the homes and the community?
A7. Walt Disney Imagineering created the master plan for the community. Golden Oak Development is the master developer, and Golden Oak Realty manages the sale of the homes and homesites—both of which are Disney companies. The homes are built by unaffiliated custom homebuilders who contract directly with homebuyers.

– Q8. What is Four Seasons involvement in the community?
A8. Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort will be located within the Golden Oak community, and will feature a 444-room hotel. The hotel is currently under construction and is planned to open in 2014. Residents will have access to select amenities at Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort including a Tom Fazio-designed golf course, superlative restaurants, facilities for private events, and a full-service spa.
That is the situation now. If I recall correctly it was originally going to be all Four Seasons at Walt Disney World, with Disney selling off and deannexing the land. Then the economy tanked and Four Seasons got cold feet with the project put on hold. I believe this is when Disney stepped back in to save face on selling off another good sized chunk of Walt Disney World. If Four Seasons would forward with the hotel, Disney would take charge of the subdivision.

Cosmic Commando

What about Golden Oak?

It's officially called "Golden Oak at Walt Disney World Resort". I don't think it's possible to get to those $1.5M to $6M homes without driving on Disney property.

http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/
Same deal as Celebration, although I'm sure you don't have to drive on property to get to Celebration. The land was removed from the Reedy Creek Improvement District before anyone had a chance to buy it. Disney is required to maintain access to the land that these other people own but they don't get any control over Reedy Creek because they're not part of it, a la Bonnet Creek like someone else said.

pluto77

I know several folks who 'live'at the Fort. I wish I was one of them! There is one in particular that I know has been there for three years if not longer. Disney no longer has special rates for extended stays at the fort, so these folks pay whatever the best rate is that they can find. Two of the people I know are castmembers, so they get their discount. It is still pretty pricey though to stay there long term.

Interesting! I wonder what they use as their official address, or if they have "2nd homes."

When I was doing the college program there was this older retired couple who worked with us for 3 months and was living in an RV at Fort Wilderness.

Wojciehowicz

the driver pointed out a few large RVs that looked to have been permanently set up with tents and decor and furniture etc. She told us that those people had somehow found a loophole and live in Fort Wilderness permanently.
Who are these folks and how did they get such a sweet deal to live at Disney? Why can't Disney evict them?

Loophole, another clueless CM. It's called a reservation.
Evicting implies that those people are residents, they're not, they're just guests.
Why would Disney want them out? They're paying lots of money for the site.
If it's the person I think it is, she's no longer a CM.
It's routine for RVers staying short term to set up tents, canopies, and furniture.
Sweet deal, anyone can stay at WDW for as long as they want. They just have to keep making a new reservation per Disney's policy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The rack rate for regular season is $89 a night for an RV hookup camp site. If you figure a little more for peak season and a little less for value season it probably would average to around $90 per night. That's $32,850 for the year or a little over $2,700 a month. Now if you factor in a 50% CM discount you are looking at $1,350 a month. Not terrible for rent. Only problem is you need an RV;). Sounds like a good retirement plan to me.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I thought Florida law prohibited people from living in RV parks. For some reason I was thinking there was a maximum number of days and they had to pick up and move.

Lil Fort

Interesting! I wonder what they use as their official address, or if they have "2nd homes."

When I was doing the college program there was this older retired couple who worked with us for 3 months and was living in an RV at Fort Wilderness.
That's a good question and the answer is 'it depends'. Some RVers keep a 'home base' and don't sell their homes. Most of these are snowbirds who go south for the winter and return home for the summer. For those who cut all ties and live on the road, there are also services such as the Escapee's RV Club that help full time RVers establish a legal residence without a home and also provide mail forwarding services. Many full time RVers establish their legal residence in Texas or South Dakota because the laws there are 'full time RVer friendly', even though they live out on the road and don't have a 'real home'.

Loophole, another clueless CM. It's called a reservation.
Evicting implies that those people are residents, they're not, they're just guests.
Why would Disney want them out? They're paying lots of money for the site.
If it's the person I think it is, she's no longer a CM.
It's routine for RVers staying short term to set up tents, canopies, and furniture.
Sweet deal, anyone can stay at WDW for as long as they want. They just have to keep making a new reservation per Disney's policy.
Yep, they are definitely paying a lot of money for their sites. As far as campgrounds go, Fort Wilderness is one of the most expensive in the US, charging around $125/night for just a concrete slab and electric, water and sewer hookups during peak season. They also don't have extended stay rates anymore, but they still have several long term residents who are willing to pay the premium price. Some of the ones I know are CMs and some are not.

Most RVers have some sort of outdoor setup, whether it be a screen room, awning or just a couple of lawn chairs so they can enjoy themselves outside. Many take it a bit farther and set up decorations for the holidays (Some even take it a bit too far in my opinion. There is someone set up in either the 1700 or 1800 loop (can't remember for sure which it was) that comes to mind. Think Hoarders... ;) ) If you have some time to visit the Fort over the holidays, it is definitely worth the trip, especially in the evening to see the decorations. The carriage rides are a good way to do this if you don't want to walk (the fort is HUGE).

Lil Fort

I thought Florida law prohibited people from living in RV parks. For some reason I was thinking there was a maximum number of days and they had to pick up and move.
For state and national parks this is often true for most states, but for privately owned parks this is not the case. There are even parks where you can buy your site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom