does anyone else NOT want to know

twoweirdos

Original Poster
the tricks..etc behind the magic?Some things are kinda neat...but for the most part..I dont wanna know Tink flies on a cable(in my mind its still Pixie dust)..I dont wanna know why someone glows..etc
Maybe im being silly and sticking my head and the sand or covering my ears and saying"lallalal..i cannot hear youuuuu"
But thats part of the magic,,,KEEPING it magic

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Even if you take some of the "behind the scenes" tours you won't lose that feeling....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
iwas afraid of that
DH wanted to go on of of the tours.....and I was against thinking it may ruin the magic feeling for me

That's completely in your hands. The tour (Backstage Magic) was very informative about the day-to-day workings at several parks. It actually made me appreciate how hard people at WDW work to make my stay all the more enjoyable....

SleepingMonk

I also don't care to know the dirty details that go on behind the scenes.

For the same reason I don't want to sit so I can see backstage during a play or at a table that allows me to view the kitchen when I'm eating dinner.

Chrononymous

My mom is one that constantly reminds me that she doesn't want to know...and doesn't care about why and how things work, because it's the magic that counts.

Me? I have been insatiably curious about this stuff since I was a tot.

I constantly bore her with details about the behind the scenes stuff.

CoffeeJedi

I think there's two ways to look at it.

1) Yeah, that bust on the mantle isn't actually following you, it's an inverted vac formed mold with backlighting to trick your brain into seeing it as a 3d object.

-or-

2) Yeah, the tracking bust is really cool! Claude Coats had the concept, but it took Yale Gracey to develop the technique. He knew that the human mind could be easily manipulated with lighting so he took advantage of that....

See the difference? To me, knowing the geniuses who did the work and the stories behind the scenes actually enhances my experience. You're not getting the magic ruined, you're "meeting" the talented artists who gave it to the world.

It's just like my signature says.... oh, well, I'll let that one go as an exercise to the reader :drevil:

David S.

the tricks..etc behind the magic?Some things are kinda neat...but for the most part..I dont wanna know Tink flies on a cable(in my mind its still Pixie dust)..I dont wanna know why someone glows..etc
Maybe im being silly and sticking my head and the sand or covering my ears and saying"lallalal..i cannot hear youuuuu"
But thats part of the magic,,,KEEPING it magic

Nice thread (and nice, colorful, Alice avatar!)

I don't want to know any of the behind the scenes secrets either. I like to believe in the Magic, and I don't want to know HOW the Magic happens!

I like to completely lose myself in the Magic and the stories being told. I'm not a technical person by nature, am not really into technology, so telling me the ghosts I can see through in the HM, for example, can be explained by some technical process and then going into details would completely RUIN the magic and fantasy for me. It's the same reason I refuse to watch the tv shows that reveal magician's secrets. If I knew how all the "tricks" worked in the various attractions, I'd never be able to look at the parks through innocent eyes again, which would be devestating!

I take great pride in having never set foot backstage. Even on extremely crowded days when CM's have offered to let me take a short cut behind the Main Street buildings, I've politely declined. I'd rather deal with the crowds than discover that those charming 1900's Victorian buildings are anything less! I don't want ANYTHING to spoil the illusion or take me out of the "Show".

I also have no interest in going down into the "utilidors". I've heard it is possible to see all sorts of things there that would ruin the illusions and "Show".

So to sum up, when I watch Fantasmic!, I want to be blown away and amazed by how quickly Mickey Mouse goes from the boat in his Steamboat Willie clothes, to the mountaintop in his Sorcerer Mickey clothes! And then the way he disappears and is suddenly down on the main stage again in yet ANOTHER outfit!

Don't go telling me it's not really Magic and that Mickey uses trap doors, fast elevators, slides, or tear-away clothes, because if that's how he does it, I really don't want to know!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom