Doctor Who

Figaro928

Original Poster
I really have high hope for this Doctor. I know I'm in the minority, but i didn't care the plot lines for Matt Smith - I thought David Tennant's seasons were much better. Again, high hopes for the new Doctor.

Gomer

I'm very excited to see Capaldi. I loved Matt Smith, but I'm also ready to see a different take. The flamboyent whimsical doctor was wearing a bit thin last year. It was time for a change.

Figaro928

Original Poster
I'm very excited to see Capaldi. I loved Matt Smith, but I'm also ready to see a different take. The flamboyent whimsical doctor was wearing a bit thin last year. It was time for a change.

I read somewhere once taht Eccleston was a fierce tiger, Tennant was a lovable Tigger and Smith was an internet cat falling off the kitchen countertop. I thought it was accurate.

I'm glad they decided to go with an older Doctor as well. Less hipster and more creditable

Gomer

I read somewhere once taht Eccleston was a fierce tiger, Tennant was a lovable Tigger and Smith was an internet cat falling off the kitchen countertop. I thought it was accurate.

I'm glad they decided to go with an older Doctor as well. Less hipster and more creditable
Very accurate. :)

Although I hold to the theory that Doctor personalities are based on the manner of the previous doctor's death. Eccleston was angry coming out of the Time War and his acts of genocide. Tennant was sypathetic having sacrficed himself to save Rose. Smith was childish having been taken against his will due to the carelessness of humans

FutureCEO

Capaldi should be awesome. He was amazing in Children of the Earth.

Though I want this season to answer 2 questions.

1. Children of Earth/Pompeii episodes

2. Time Lords. Since I'm a newcomer to Who since Tennant's first episode, all I know about them is not much. Are they evil? Or good? Remember, they did try to knock Earth out of orbit. I'm just curious to know more about Time Lords before and after the war. Maybe the Doctor's childhood?

I want Alex Kingston back too!

Figaro928

Original Poster
To bring back the Pompeii references would be insane! Especially since I believe Karen Gillian was in the episode as well.

I started with Eccleston and as far as I know the Time Lords had the best intentions prior to the "time war" - good, but too powerful for their own good. They've only touched on pre-war subjects a few times (mostly with the Master) so it would be cool if they re-visited it.

Side Note: A new restaurant "The Pandorica" opened up about a month ago less than 5 miles from my house. It's decked out in Who décor. The place is insane & supposedly went viral. They're having a huge cosplay bash tonight. The streets on Beacon, NY are going to be filled with sonic screwdrivers and Fez's tonight. May drive by it just to see the hoopla. :)

eeyoremum

While I agree the actor who is playing the Doctor was excellent in Children of earth I see him as washy washy because that is what he was in Children of earth. I have also seen previews as the Doctor and his is asking If he is a good man...wishy washy (IMO).

I was so over Matt Smith 2 seasons ago and I don't like Oswin (sp?). I bear ly watched last season it was so bad. I am going to watch tonight and am hoping for the best. I wish they would bring back River.

Figaro928

Original Poster
While I agree the actor who is playing the Doctor was excellent in Children of earth I see him as washy washy because that is what he was in Children of earth. I have also seen previews as the Doctor and his is asking If he is a good man...wishy washy (IMO).

I was so over Matt Smith 2 seasons ago and I don't like Oswin (sp?). I bear ly watched last season it was so bad. I am going to watch tonight and am hoping for the best. I wish they would bring back River.
She's an intriguing character but they gave her AWFUL plot lines. Plus I didn't like her paired with Smith. I agree, the last two seasons were ROUGH. (Did Moffat even write these episodes? - I don't think he did)

When she first came on I couldn't STAND Catherine Tate, but Donna Noble had SUCH an amazing story line that by the end she became by far my favorite companion. By Far!

eeyoremum

She's an intriguing character but they gave her AWFUL plot lines. Plus I didn't like her paired with Smith. I agree, the last two seasons were ROUGH. (Did Moffat even write these episodes? - I don't think he did)

When she first came on I couldn't STAND Catherine Tate, but Donna Noble had SUCH an amazing story line that by the end she became by far my favorite companion. By Far!

I agree with the aweful plot line. I loved Donna from the beginning. I loved her sarcastic put the Doctor in his place attitude.

Amy, I liked but her story ran too long. I actually cheered when she "died".

The Pandorica episodes were the last good Matt Smith showing. IMO.

Figaro928

Original Poster
i think i like Capaldi, but yeah I'm more or less done with Clara. Also very done with the comedic threesome - i thought we were through of the already.

Gomer

It felt as if Clara was more of the main character than the Doctor was. I'll finish the season before I decide if I like Capaldi or not.
They do that to ease the transition to the new Doctor. Just like Tennant's first episode. Concentrate on those who the audience is already familiar with, so that they feel more comfortable., That's also why they went back to Madame Vastra and the bunch. I do like that they gave Clara more depth, even if it was by emphasizing her less likable qualities (the egomaniacal control freak :) ).

From what I can see, I think I'm going to like this doctor. ANd I like the dynamic with Clara more than with Smith. The episode itself suffered from trying so very hard to reassure the audience that the doctor doesn't have to be youg and flirtatious to be enjoyable. I'm not sure it needed to be so heavy handed, but that should likely disappear in coming weeks. It seems like Moffat is excited to tell some stories with a darker Doctor, and I'm on board with that as well.

Last edited:

Figaro928

Original Poster
They do that to ease the transition to the new Doctor. Just like Tennant's first episode. Concentrate on those who the audience is already familiar with, so that they feel more comfortable., That's also why they went back to Madame Vastra and the bunch. I do like that they gave Clara more depth, even if it was by emphasizing her less likable qualities (the egomaniacal control freak :) ).

From what I can see, I think I'm going to like this doctor. ANd I like the dynaic with Clara more than with Smith. The episode itself suffered from trying so very hard to reassure the audience that the doctor doesn't have to be youg and flirtatious to be enjoyable. I'm not sure it needed to e so heavy handed, but that should likely disappear in coming weeks. It seems like Moffat is excited to tell some stories with a danrker Doctor, and I'm on board with that as well.
Completely agree that the whole episode felt very heavy handed. My husband kept saying they "Americanized it" Dumbed down, heavy handed and way too much slap stick comedy.

Really liked the last segment with the lady in the garden. Intriguing for a season long plot.

TB4244

I thought Capaldi lacked personality. It seemed he was trying his best to be wacky and eccentric but didn't really succeed, it was more annoying than anything. Clara, as was stated above, held the show together with assistance from Vastra, Strax and Jenny, the Doctor may as well not been featured at all. The effects took a nosedive too.

Sorry that was really negative, but as an avid follower of the series, I was quite disappointed. I do hope the Daleks save the day next week.

Gomer

I thought Capaldi lacked personality. It seemed he was trying his best to be wacky and eccentric but didn't really succeed, it was more annoying than anything. Clara, as was stated above, held the show together with assistance from Vastra, Strax and Jenny, the Doctor may as well not been featured at all. The effects took a nosedive too.

Sorry that was really negative, but as an avid follower of the series, I was quite disappointed. I do hope the Daleks save the day next week.

I agree that Capaldi wasn't much to pay attention to for the first 30 minutes or so, but I thought he established himself extremely well in the scene with the bum in the alley and the scene in the restaurant. I assume that is what they will be building on.

As for the effects. I didn't have a problem. The half-faced man was handled very well I thought. The T-rex....well I never expect much from TV CG creations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom