Doctor Strange at DHS!

Matt_Black

So the site which cannot be named was wrong about this not being advertised, not that that should come as a surprise.

Do times guides count as "advertising"? Since they are printed and distributed on park property, it's a little different than having a poster at the airport that says, "Meet Doctor Strange at Disney's Hollywood Studios!"

RAXIP

Do times guides count as "advertising"? Since they are printed and distributed on park property, it's a little different than having a poster at the airport that says, "Meet Doctor Strange at Disney's Hollywood Studios!"

From the site which cannot be named (emphasis mine):

"The Meet and Greet will not be publicized anywhere by the company, be it online, in a times guide, or in any cast member publications. This is a biproduct of restrictions caused by the MARVEL-Universal contract."

It's also mentioned in the CMs weekly Tell-a-Cast guide.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From the site which cannot be named (emphasis mine):

"The Meet and Greet will not be publicized anywhere by the company, be it online, in a times guide, or in any cast member publications. This is a biproduct of restrictions caused by the MARVEL-Universal contract."

It's also mentioned in the CMs weekly Tell-a-Cast guide.

It is interesting to note that it isn't on the events calendar on the web site.

Matt_Black

Just a comment about Uni vs. Disney. A friend of mine just returned from Orlando after an absence of a few years. He is a HUGE Disney parks fan. His one line wrap up- "Yes, New Fantasyland is great, but about Harry Potter - OH MY GOSH! I couldn't believe what I was seeing!"

And if I cared one whit about Harry Potter, an immersive, well-designed Harry Potter land would mean something.

Goofyernmost

And if I cared one whit about Harry Potter, an immersive, well-designed Harry Potter land would mean something.
I don't quite understand you defensiveness about not seeing Uni. Yes, it's not Disney, but, being a lifelong Disney fan I found a lot there worth experiencing. But, that is your business. I can't get my grandson to eat Pizza either. Anyway, back to Dr. Strange, kinda... while watching the "coming attractions" they showed a trailer of the "Rogue Ones" and frankly saw absolutely nothing that made me even slightly want to see the movie. Hope it works for others, I will not be going to see it.

asianway

I don't quite understand you defensiveness about not seeing Uni. Yes, it's not Disney, but, being a lifelong Disney fan I found a lot there worth experiencing. But, that is your business. I can't get my grandson to eat Pizza either. Anyway, back to Dr. Strange, kinda... while watching the "coming attractions" they showed a trailer of the "Rogue Ones" and frankly saw absolutely nothing that made me even slightly want to see the movie. Hope it works for others, I will not be going to see it.
Imperial Walkers does it for me. Throwback to Empire, gratuitous, but Ill fall for it.

Goofyernmost

Well the whole not being able to advertise thing is actually in the contract.
There have been a couple of different interpretations of that over the years. It would seem foolish of Disney to buy an IP and then not be able to use any of it. It has been said that whatever grouping of Marvel that they were using in the Uni park could not be used in Disney Florida, but, new stuff could indeed be used wherever they wanted too use it. That would be as long as nothing in the contract indicated any and all future creations. I don't know if Dr. Strange is an old character or not, but, it would seem that if they are even going to have an M&G that pretty much means it is not part of the agreement. However, let me say this... Dr. Strange is my first ever venture into a Marvel based thing. I went because I was curious and now that I have seen it... I remain fairly unimpressed by the franchise.

Next Big Thing

There have been a couple of different interpretations of that over the years. It would seem foolish of Disney to buy an IP and then not be able to use any of it. It has been said that whatever grouping of Marvel that they were using in the Uni park could not be used in Disney Florida, but, new stuff could indeed be used wherever they wanted too use it. That would be as long as nothing in the contract indicated any and all future creations. I don't know if Dr. Strange is an old character or not, but, it would seem that if they are even going to have an M&G that pretty much means it is not part of the agreement. However, let me say this... Dr. Strange is my first ever venture into a Marvel based thing. I went because I was curious and now that I have seen it... I remain fairly unimpressed by the franchise.
They have already made back the money they spent to buy the Marvel IP. They didn't just buy Marvel so they can use it at WDW, far from it. They bought it because it's a money maker. Also, Marvel is good for use at pretty much all other Disney parks around the world (except Japan for a few years still). I don't think Disney is that worried about such a small aspect of a very, very large deal.

Goofyernmost

They have already made back the money they spent to buy the Marvel IP. They didn't just buy Marvel so they can use it at WDW, far from it. They bought it because it's a money maker. Also, Marvel is good for use at pretty much all other Disney parks around the world (except Japan for a few years still). I don't think Disney is that worried about such a small aspect of a very, very large deal.
Heck, I'm not worried about it at all. If nothing Marvel were to ever show up at any Disney Park I would not lose a single moments sleep. I was just trying to make some sense of it. Isn't Guardian part of Marvel?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Dr. Strange first appeared in 1963, so yes an old character. Yes, it seems Dr Strange is ok to use in attractions in WDW, but the contract with Uni has certain stipulations that apply to all characters, even ones that Uni doesn't have exclusivity to. For example restrictions on the use of the name Marvel.

Princess Leia

Heck, I'm not worried about it at all. If nothing Marvel were to ever show up at any Disney Park I would not lose a single moments sleep. I was just trying to make some sense of it. Isn't Guardian part of Marvel?
Yes. The list of properties/teams in the MCU as of now are as follows:
  • Iron Man
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Thor
  • Captain America
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Avengers (with Black Widow, Quicksilver, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Vision, and the Winter Soldier)
  • Ant-Man (and Wasp)
  • Doctor Strange
  • Inhumans
  • Defenders (including Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist)
  • Black Panther
  • Captain Marvel (formerly known as Ms. Marvel)
Doctor Strange wouldn't be my first choice in starting the MCU. If anything, I'd go with the first Iron Man, Thor, or Avengers. My favorites are Avengers & Captain America: The Winter Soldier. If you're looking for a show, the Netflix properties are amazing- Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage (but there's no way that Disney is bringing them into the park).

Matt_Black

• Iron Man
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Thor
  • Captain America
  • Avengers (with Black Widow, Quicksilver, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Vision, and the Winter Soldier)
  • Ant-Man (and Wasp)
  • Doctor Strange
  • Inhumans
  • Black Panther
Doctor Strange wouldn't be my first choice in starting the MCU. If anything, I'd go with the first Iron Man, Thor, or Avengers. My favorites are Avengers & Captain America: The Winter Soldier. If you're looking for a show, the Netflix properties are amazing- Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage (but there's no way that Disney is bringing them into the park).

In addition to what you listed, there's also Ghost Rider, the Punisher, Nick Fury, Kid Colt, and Deathlok.

Princess Leia

In addition to what you listed, there's also Ghost Rider, the Punisher, Nick Fury, Kid Colt, and Deathlok.
Unfortunately, Agents of Shield seems to have thrown Deathlok aside (I really liked J. August Richards in the part). I do like what they're doing with Ghost Rider though. I miss Mockingbird. It would have been better if she was able to stay on the show rather than be written off for another failed pilot.
Oh, forgot about Cloak & Dagger. It starts on Freeform sometime next year.
Kid Colt?

Cletus

Wow! Your disregard for all things Universal is ridiculous. For the record...I personally had never read a Potter book or had seen a movie before the lands were built, but my wife is a die-hard fan. I did a Potter movie marathon before we visited for the first time. I was blown away by the attention to detail and immersion they had created. It's amazing. Perhaps you just need to find a wife that has interests other than comic books.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
  • Iron Man
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Thor
  • Captain America
  • Ant-Man (and Wasp)
  • Doctor Strange
  • Inhumans
  • Black Panther
Even though there are no plans for them in the immeadiate future, can't they also use Nova and Adam Warlock? I know they can also use Ego the Living Planet, as he was confirmed to be in GOTG2.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom