Do you take your cell phone in the park & where do you keep it?

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I'm still about 6 months out from my trip (first time in 10 years) and I was just thinking about how obsessed we are with out cell phones these days (myself included!).

Do you take your phones in the parks? I worry that I'd lose it. I normally keep mine in my back pocket, but there would be to much going on to safely have it there. If you do, where do you keep it during the day?

As I'm typing this I realize that if you are with a group, you'd probably need one to communicate with others.

We also use our cell as our main way to take pictures of our daughter because we can share them easily, but since it's going to be our daughter's first trip, I'd like to bring a real camera as well. I just hate thinking about juggling ALL these items!

Tom

Beta Return
A lot has changed since you last visited. Much of the planning and touring now relies heavily on the use of a Smart Phone. So, if you have an iPhone or Android phone, you'll definitely want to take it with you. You access and manage your online Disney account, and all your Fastpasses that way now.

If you don't have a smart phone, you're restricted to using kiosks located throughout the parks.

I used to carry mine in a belt holster, like a real dweeb. But now I usually put it in a front pocket or a zipper pocket on cargo shorts - but I'm a guy, and I'm fairly certain you're not.

If you carry a purse or diaper bag, I'd suggest carrying it in one of those, since you'll always have it with you. Just be sure to have the ringer off so it never goes off in a ride or show.

BJones82

We take both our phones just in-case we get separated. I keep mine in my pocket and my DF keeps her's in her pocket. Having pockets that zip shut are almost a must but the rides are gentle enough that things wont fall out of your pockets, it is just a piece of mind thing. We use our phones for photos too so the only thing I can say is be polite to others at the parks and don't block views during shows or fireworks by holding it up to video tape things :)

Have fun on your trip!!!

Sage of Time

I have an iPhone. I keep it in my pocket. I use it frequently to take pictures. I don't carry a camera.

That's about it.

If you have a newer iPhone, you really don't need the real camera. I have the 6 and I thought all of my pics looked pretty professional.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
A lot has changed since you last visited. Much of the planning and touring now relies heavily on the use of a Smart Phone. So, if you have an iPhone or Android phone, you'll definitely want to take it with you. You access and manage your online Disney account, and all your Fastpasses that way now.

If you don't have a smart phone, you're restricted to using kiosks located throughout the parks.

I used to carry mine in a belt holster, like a real dweeb. But now I usually put it in a front pocket or a zipper pocket on cargo shorts - but I'm a guy, and I'm fairly certain you're not.

If you carry a purse or diaper bag, I'd suggest carrying it in one of those, since you'll always have it with you. Just be sure to have the ringer off so it never goes off in a ride or show.

Omg! I totally forgot about this aspect. yes, a TON has changed since I've been! My mom is obsessed and does ALL the planning, so this didn't even occur to me! Thanks!

sissa216

I normally have a bag with a compartment where it's secure, but accessible. I'm one who really likes to be as disconnected as possible on vacation- but phones have become useful tools that you don't want to necessarily leave in the room!

The most obvious use is FastPass+, where you can modify your plans on the go.

Enjoy your trip with your little one!! SO much will be new to you already, having not visited in 10 years, but it will also be a completely new experience through her eyes.

littlered

I took mine with me on my last trip because I was using it for making Fastpasses or checking on times and stuff in the parks. I also used it as a camera. I bought a small phone case with a long strap, I was able to wear it cross my body so it wasn't going anywhere. It held only my phone, chapstick and Aleve.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I do have an iphone6, so maybe it is good enough! I have the ability to take a LOT of pictures. My phone is only 16gb and could fill up PRETTY quickly on a first vacation to Disney. That's the only thing I like about a camera, but it is just another thing to worry about. I guess I could always save all the pictures to my laptop at the end of the day.

BJones82

I do have an iphone6, so maybe it is good enough! I have the ability to take a LOT of pictures. My phone is only 16gb and could fill up PRETTY quickly on a first vacation to Disney. That's the only thing I like about a camera, but it is just another thing to worry about. I guess I could always save all the pictures to my laptop at the end of the day.

16GB would be too much of a risk on your first trip in ten years. When I first went with my DF three and a half years ago I took over 400 pictures and I don't take a lot of pictures lol or have kids...

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I took mine with me on my last trip because I was using it for making Fastpasses or checking on times and stuff in the parks. I also used it as a camera. I bought a small phone case with a long strap, I was able to wear it cross my body so it wasn't going anywhere. It held only my phone, chapstick and Aleve.

I like this idea! We will also have some sort of diaper bag too, but I don't want it to get buried in the bottom.

I just get anxious thinking about having a TON of stuff with me, but I guess with a toddler, that's inevitable! :)

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
16GB would be too much of a risk on your first trip in ten years. When I first went with my DF three and a half years ago I took over 400 pictures and I don't take a lot of pictures lol or have kids...

Exactly!! My phone only holds about 1200 pictures with some video and then it's DONE. I'd hate to be in the park and not be able to catch something amazing! Of course my DH has a phone too, but still. Maybe just taking a small point and shoot wouldn't be a terrible idea.

sissa216

I definitely recommend Memory Maker- especially for character photos. It's one of my favorite reasons to get it. I can relax and enjoy watching my son meeting the characters while they catch the pictures. I'm guilty of missing out on moments because I'm stuck behind a camera.

SAV

And don't forget to bring a portable charger & cord with you as well. Just plug it in, put it in your bag and it charges. You can also bring your wall plug, but then you are tethered to that outlet.

Just remember to charge it overnight when you get back to your room as well as your phone. Then you will always have a charge available.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I definitely recommend Memory Maker- especially for character photos. It's one of my favorite reasons to get it. I can relax and enjoy watching my son meeting the characters while they catch the pictures. I'm guilty of missing out on moments because I'm stuck behind a camera.

Oh yes! We are doing this. it's a HUGE trip, so we had decided we'd get it. I get the whole being stuck behind a camera. I'm a hobby photographer, but always seem to miss stuff because I'm trying to photograph everything!

CaptainAmerica

And don't forget to bring a portable charger & cord with you as well. Just plug it in, put it in your bag and it charges. You can also bring your wall plug, but then you are tethered to that outlet.

Just remember to charge it overnight when you get back to your room as well as your phone. Then you will always have a charge available.
I always wonder about this. What the heck are people doing on their phones where they need to stop and charge them in the middle of the day? It's 4:30 right now and I'm at 80% battery remaining. I rarely go to bed with less than 50%, and I'm on my phone WAY less when I'm at WDW than I am on a normal day.

Otterhead

I always take my phone to snap photos -- it's a better camera than my actual camera is -- but this last trip we got Memory Maker, and it did the work for me. Absolutely worth it for a group or family.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster

The portable charger is a great idea. I know we'll be able to kill a battery half way through the day.

BJones82

I always wonder about this. What the heck are people doing on their phones where they need to stop and charge them in the middle of the day? It's 4:30 right now and I'm at 80% battery remaining. I rarely go to bed with less than 50%, and I'm on my phone WAY less when I'm at WDW than I am on a normal day.

Some people use their phones more, It's my laptop now (Except when I am doing work at home then I use my laptop lol)... At the parks we use it in line ques that aren't interactive to play games, see wait times elsewhere, make dinner reservations and so on. I imagine if you go with a large group there is a lot of texting and planning the days going on through smart phones too...

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster

The only thing i'll be doing is taking pictures/video of my daughter. Depending on HOW much that's happening, it could kill my battery. Other than that, I can't imagine using it. We'll be way to busy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom