Do you need a package to get FP+ 60 days out?

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
I was just reading the "official" Disney info on FP+, and it says you can make FP selections at 60 days "when you have a Walt Disney World Resort vacation package."

We're staying on property, but we're likely buying our park tickets from AAA. Unless I'm misunderstanding the lingo, this isn't considered a package. Assuming we link the park tickets to our account, will we be able to book FPs at 60 days?

CaptainAmerica

Yes, you'll be able to do so. You need to have a resort reservation and valid park admission, whether that's a package, third-party ticket, an Annual Pass, cast main entrance pass, whatever.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
You do not need a "package" to book at 60 days only have to be staying on property and have some type of tickets on your MDE account. You could purchase your tickets seperately and book room seperately and still do booking at 60 days as long as you have both by that day. :)

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, that's what I thought!

I wonder why they specifically used the words "vacation package..." I guess they might just be trying to promote them...

CaptainAmerica

I wonder why they specifically used the words "vacation package..." I guess they might just be trying to promote them...
It's the simplest term to use. Most people who are savvy enough to book room and tickets separately are also savvy enough to think *hm, I bet I can still do FP+ even if I didn't TECHNICALLY book a package,* as you did.

Thanks, I was just wondering the same thing and this thread was very helpful! A related question - are the FP+ actually linked to your ticket or are they linked to your account? We have a split stay and 2 sets of tickets attached but we are only planning on using one set and adding days (banking the remaining set) - will we lose the reservations made on the tickets we don't activate? Sounds crazy - I know, but hoping someone has some insight on this :)

LdyApxr

Complete rookie at booking(always have booked through Costco for DLR, first trip to WDW coming in May) but what is the advantage to booking room only and then tickets separately? I booked our trips(2 next year) through a TA as a package but was wondering what the benefit to separate bookings is?

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
Complete rookie at booking(always have booked through Costco for DLR, first trip to WDW coming in May) but what is the advantage to booking room only and then tickets separately? I booked our trips(2 next year) through a TA as a package but was wondering what the benefit to separate bookings is?
1. You can save a few bucks on the park tickets by going through UT or AAA. I think we saved about $20 per ticket.

2. Cancellation policy - with a room only reservation, you can cancel up to 5 days out for a full refund. It's 45 days for packages I believe. But the caveat for room only is you wont be refunded for your park tickets, and you'd just have to save them for another trip.

There are disadvantages too (like the inability to get a dining plan I think, sone can correct me on that), but it really depends on what you want/need.

DaisyDoesDisney

Beginning in 2016 the cancellation window for packages changes from 45 days to 30 days. In other words, you'll be able to cancel up to 30 days before your scheduled arrival and get a full refund.

DaisyDoesDisney

Thanks, I was just wondering the same thing and this thread was very helpful! A related question - are the FP+ actually linked to your ticket or are they linked to your account? We have a split stay and 2 sets of tickets attached but we are only planning on using one set and adding days (banking the remaining set) - will we lose the reservations made on the tickets we don't activate? Sounds crazy - I know, but hoping someone has some insight on this :)
I don't have experience with this exact situation but I would think that you could do this as long as you have room reservations and tickets that cover the number of days that you're booking FastPass for. I don't think the FastPass reservations are going to distinguish between the two sets of tickets that you currently own.

WhatJaneSays

FP+ is technically linked to the ticket. However the system generally does not “assign” them to a specific ticket. So say you have 2 tickets linked to your account, one for 3 days and one for 4 days. MDE will know that you have 7 days of FPs to pick; and if you add to either of the tickets it will adjust to however many days total you have at that time.

However I strongly recommend that you add the extra days to whichever ticket you are intending to use on this trip before you go into park and preferably as soon as you check in. And also explain to the cast member what you want to do, so they can prioritize the ticket you added days to over the ticket you’re saving for later. If you don’t have them re-prioritize the tickets there is a chance that the system might use the entries from the wrong ticket first.

I even recommend checking again on the priority of the tickets an hour or so after you’ve done this just to make sure the ticket priority has propagated out into system correctly. (You can just call the front desk and they can check.)

However I strongly recommend that you add the extra days to whichever ticket you are intending to use on this trip before you go into park and preferably as soon as you check in. And also explain to the cast member what you want to do, so they can prioritize the ticket you added days to over the ticket you’re saving for later. If you don’t have them re-prioritize the tickets there is a chance that the system might use the entries from the wrong ticket first.

I even recommend checking again on the priority of the tickets an hour or so after you’ve done this just to make sure the ticket priority has propagated out into system correctly. (You can just call the front desk and they can check.)

Perfect explanation, that was what I was expecting based on the way many things have been linked (MDE doesn't seem to have rules as sophisticated as the FAQs often make it sound). We've actually had this second set of tickets hanging out for a few trips now, so we have at least dealt with the prioritization issue before, and even the first time when one person's was mis-prioritized (MDE was VERY new) they were able to fix it quickly which was great. I will definitely add the days as soon as we check in :)

DaisyDoesDisney

FP+ is technically linked to the ticket. However the system generally does not “assign” them to a specific ticket. So say you have 2 tickets linked to your account, one for 3 days and one for 4 days. MDE will know that you have 7 days of FPs to pick; and if you add to either of the tickets it will adjust to however many days total you have at that time.

This is getting away from the OPs initial question but now I'm concerned with this talk of "prioritizing" tickets. We have three trips in three separate months (Sep'15, Dec'15, Feb'16) booked through Disney and linked on MDE. We have separate tickets purchased with each reservation package. When we take our trip two weeks from now do I have to be concerned that more than one set of tickets might be initiated, thus beginning the 14 day countdown to expiration? Does this require action on my part to make sure that the tickets are being used in full before another set is activated?

This is getting away from the OPs initial question but now I'm concerned with this talk of "prioritizing" tickets. We have three trips in three separate months (Sep'15, Dec'15, Feb'16) booked through Disney and linked on MDE. We have separate tickets purchased with each reservation package. When we take our trip two weeks from now do I have to be concerned that more than one set of tickets might be initiated, thus beginning the 14 day countdown to expiration? Does this require action on my part to make sure that the tickets are being used in full before another set is activated?

The system won't arbitrarily pick a different ticket each day, and if they're set up through package reservations they should be prioritized correctly by default - but it doesn't hurt to double check when you check in that they're listed correctly. When I had an issue, I must have done something online without realizing it to bring the separate ticket up before my package ticket since the other 3 people in my party had no issue with it.

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster

My initial question is a few months old at this point, so digress away! The system should prioritize them correctly by default, as long as you're not doing anything funky with the tickets. But it absolutely can't hurt to talk to guest relations just to be safe!

DaisyDoesDisney

The system won't arbitrarily pick a different ticket each day, and if they're set up through package reservations they should be prioritized correctly by default - but it doesn't hurt to double check when you check in that they're listed correctly. When I had an issue, I must have done something online without realizing it to bring the separate ticket up before my package ticket since the other 3 people in my party had no issue with it.
Thank-you for replying. Was the "separate" ticket that you mention purchased outside of any type of package?

DaisyDoesDisney

My initial question is a few months old at this point, so digress away! The system should prioritize them correctly by default, as long as you're not doing anything funky with the tickets. But it absolutely can't hurt to talk to guest relations just to be safe!
Oh My Gosh. I didn't even notice the original post date. Normally I avoid zombie threads. Haha. At least it became useful again....

Thank-you for replying. Was the "separate" ticket that you mention purchased outside of any type of package?

Yes. We bought park tickets from AAA, and then booked a deal that required a package rather than room only. Since unused tickets don't expire, we just held on to them because the savings from the deal outweighed the purchase of the other tickets.

Oh My Gosh. I didn't even notice the original post date. Normally I avoid zombie threads. Haha. At least it became useful again....

I think that's my fault, too - I was desperately searching threads for the same topic to avoid being repetitive, but I feel like you're either repetitive or you hijack :p can't win!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom