Do you have to have a reservation?

fmingo36

Original Poster
I tried to book California Grill on the Disney Dining reservation site but it's says nothing is available. (Of course I will keep checking every day till we leave)
(This is for a Thursday late Sept). Since it's the day we arrive and we have no plans to visit a park that day, can we just go to the restaurant and wait till the have a table available or do they only take reservation?

wilkeliza

I tried to book California Grill on the Disney Dining reservation site but it's says nothing is available. (Of course I will keep checking every day till we leave)
(This is for a Thursday late Sept). Since it's the day we arrive and we have no plans to visit a park that day, can we just go to the restaurant and wait till the have a table available or do they only take reservation?

I really depends on the restaurant and the time of year. You could try showing up but if it is around a high traffic time such as the hour before wishes or closer you will not get a table with out a reservation. However maybe 2 hours before wishes or the hour after wishes you could possibly get a table by walking up. I would not bank on getting in with out a reservation simply because it is a signature restaurant but if you don't have to leave a park early and miss perhaps being in a park at that time then it is worth a shot. If you are leaving a park early and won't be going back then it is not worth the risk.

Late September could really be a toss of the dice if you will get something or not.

sgtmgd

Always call Disney reservations if the website says no availability...to see if they have something..sometimes the system isn't always up to date

Mr. CPA

I wouldn't count on getting a table at any table service restaurants without a reservation. They will just turn you away and tell you they're completely booked up. September is usually pretty light. But, with such a popular restaurant, I wouldn't doubt that it's booked up.

Foolish Mortal

Have to ? Pretty much, Yes. Cali. is one of the most popular restaurants on property and the odds of getting a walk up are slim. With the credit card enforcement policy from what I've heard and seen on Disneys reservation system sometimes ressies open up when people cancel before they hit the 24 hour mark.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!

No chance! Cali Grill is a massively popular restaurant that should be booked 180 days out!
And when you are looking for a ressie is free dining so it is even more popular, also alot of people know sbout watching wishes from here so that time is the most popular time to be there!

I would advise looking elsewhere

tigsmom

Call everyday even after you arrive. We have Disney Dining on our cell phone and call while we are in the parks, we've gotten some good reservations at the last minute,

HouCuseChickie

I know a prev poster said to call b/c the system may not be up to date; however, they use the same system so what you see online is what they'll see when you call. i.e. if the online site is down, it's going to be down for them too and they'll just tell you to call back. THe only difference is that they can see your booked reservations even if the online site is showing nothing. I've found online to be better since it's easier to stalk for that ADR and pounce on it if it pops up.

Cali Grill is extremely popular, especially since it affords viewing of fireworks and anyone who has dined there during the course of the evening can return to view from the deck. I would keep trying MANY times per day to see if something opens up. With a credit card guarantee- they usually open up here and there towards the end. THe key is persistence. YOu may go over a month without seeing anything, even if you check 100x per day, but you're also much more likely to happen upon an opening if you keep checking.

They MAY let you go up to eat at the bar, but that all depends on volumes and you'd probably want to arrive on the early side.

jlevis

It depends on the time of year, the time you want to eat and the popularity of the restaurant. We've walked into Liberty Tree Taven when the crowds were low and around 3PM no problem. But, I wouldn't count on doing that on a regular basis. Certainly not Cali Grill.

Sweet Melissa

Even if you can't get a reservation for the dining room, you may be able to get in to the lounge (where they serve the full menu) if you get there early in the evening. Just go to the check-in on the second floor and ask if there's room in the lounge. If you're there right when the restaurant opens at 5:30, it's very likely that they'll let you up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom