Do they speed up rides during peak periods?

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Okay, so my partner, who knows nothing about nothing just made the assertion that during crowded days, Disney speeds up certain rides increase capacity. He mentioned Pirates, Splash, Buzz, Haunted Mansion. Not adding cars but increasing speed, and shortening ride cycles such as Teacups and Dumbo.

I call BS on this but he is insisting it is true.

Does anyone know what the heck he is talking about? Sounds like alternative facts to me.

mousehockey37

They can control the speed. Interestingly, from our last trip in 2014 to this year 2017, we thought that we got through the HM extremely fast, and not just because we enjoy the ride.

If they can bump the speed up just 1 notch and get another 10-20 people on the ride, they're gonna do it.

Most notably, we felt rushed when it came to the Foyer and the Stretching room. Beyond that, it just seemed that you zipped through the mansion and you couldn't catch the whole dialogue in any of the scenes.

So, yeah, I'll side with they speed it up. Thanks FP+!!!

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay, so my partner, who knows nothing about nothing just made the assertion that during crowded days, Disney speeds up certain rides increase capacity. He mentioned Pirates, Splash, Buzz, Haunted Mansion. Not adding cars but increasing speed, and shortening ride cycles such as Teacups and Dumbo.

I call BS on this but he is insisting it is true.

Does anyone know what the heck he is talking about? Sounds like alternative facts to me.
It's actually true. We've experienced it several times - and a few people I've talked to through the DCP and other family members who have worked attractions have said they manipulate the ride times.

Big Thunder, Peoplemover, Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion (most omnimovers apparently) are some examples.

Though with the narration based rides, it isn't enough to throw off the script, but the cuts are more abrupt. Overall though I'd go with -- it's true:p

AndyS2992

It's actually true. We've experienced it several times - and a few people I've talked to through the DCP and other family members who have worked attractions have said they manipulate the ride times.

Big Thunder, Peoplemover, Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion (most omnimovers apparently) are some examples.

Though with the narration based rides, it isn't enough to throw off the script, but the cuts are more abrupt. Overall though I'd go with -- it's true:p
Big Thunder can't be sped up, it's coaster powered by gravity. Unless you're god or put boosters on the tracks it ain't going any faster lol

mousehockey37

Haha but the lift hills can be sped up, which increases the speed of the ride as a whole.

We also noticed that Test Track was faster than normal. Not complaining at all there! You could hear from outside when the cars went by that you they cranked them up. When outside on the track, it seemed they were braking a lot later than usual. Again, not complaining.

dmatt87

It wouldn't surprise me that they shorten the cycle on certain rides. They do this in carnivals all the time, to keep the wait lines flowing!

No, ride cycles are never sped up due to the park being busy. The computer systems used to monitor the rides would sense overspeeds, or speeds out of range, and they can't be that easily manipulated. The ride cycle at Teacups can be shortened by stopping it early but that is only done if someone attempts to stand up or open a door. The ride leaders and coordinators will go out of their way to make sure that Cast Members work as quickly as possible in order to increase efficiency, not trim down an experience.

spacemt354

Chili's
Well there's you're problem. Don't trust anyone who wears a name tag with the name of a college on it. CPs are there for a very short time and hear (and pass on) all kinds of misinformation.
While some could be misinformation, it's not like people have not experienced this phenomenon. I think there is truth to it.

AndyS2992

Just remembered, rides actually run slower during busy periods as they add more cars/boats/trains to the track which means they have to stop more frequently. Perfect example being It's a Small World, Splash Mountain and Pirates. During the summer you will almost always get stuck at the end of these rides as the boats build up at unload giving you a good extra 5 to 10 minutes of 'ride' time.

spacemt354

Chili's
Just remembered, rides actually run slower during busy periods as they add more cars/boats/trains to the track which means they have to stop more frequently. Perfect example being It's a Small World, Splash Mountain and Pirates. During the summer you will almost always get stuck at the end of these rides as the boats build up at unload giving you a good extra 5 to 10 minutes of 'ride' time.
That logic doesn't apply to omnimovers which do not have this issue.

AndyS2992

That logic doesn't apply to omnimovers which do not have this issue.
No but Google the topic and the boat rides are the ones that get accused the most of being sped up which isn't true at all.

Are there any long term attractions CMs on this forum who could clarify? :confused:

spacemt354

Chili's
No but Google the topic and the boat rides are the ones that get accused the most of being sped up which isn't true at all.

Are there any long term attractions CMs on this forum who could clarify? :confused:
While the overall ride time would be longer because you are waiting at the end, theoretically, if a boat is sped up to get to the end, then more boats can be in cycle, and the guest can still feel like the experience is sped up.

I still lean on the side that ride times are manipulated during peak times, but hey -- it's just talk and personal experience.

MonorailRed

Applebees
While the overall ride time would be longer because you are waiting at the end, theoretically, if a boat is sped up to get to the end, then more boats can be in cycle, and the guest can still feel like the experience is sped up.

I still lean on the side that ride times are manipulated during peak times, but hey -- it's just talk and personal experience.

My thought process is if it can be slowed down it can speed up. A good example is Spaceship Earth, in my opinion.

Well there's you're problem. Don't trust anyone who wears a name tag with the name of a college on it. CPs are there for a very short time and hear (and pass on) all kinds of misinformation.

Eh, CPs usually close... I could see that being the opportune moment to speed up a ride - Even if it's only under the last of the Four Keys.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In short.... no.

Cycle times can be increased up to the design maximum, ride vehicles can be added where applicable up to the design maximum but that's all.

If they could theoretically speed up a coaster there would be a block zone intrusion followed by a cascade stop. If they sped up the Jungle Cruise boats the effects would fail to reset and trigger. If PotC were sped up the unload backlog would just get even longer.

Omnimovers can be slowed to creep to assist with boarding, and then speed up back to the normal speed, but that's all. There is no higher speed for a 60k attendnece day compared to a 25k attendance day.

Peoplemover for example cannot be manipulated. The speeds for each section are hard wired into each magnets logic circuits. Short of swapping a circuit board on each magnet the speed can't be adjusted.

So again, in short, no.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

I've only heard about higher capacity being a possible reason to shorten the Country Beares show. Permanently, that is.

Personally I chalk that one down to barbarism and the idea that modern guests are attention deficit. Since the eighties hip managers hold that their new generation of guests want interactivity and instant gratification. Usually resulting in mediocre experiences that only last a few years while the slow classics add yet another decade of popularity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom