Do the parks before or after the cruise???

WDWmazprty

We're now thinking about doing a land and sea package this year and are thinking which is a better time to go to the parks, before the cruise or after the cruise.

What do you guys say? Thanks in advance! :wave:

bamillerpa

I would do the cruise first but only because I feel it's a better use of your time. I've never done a Disney cruise but the cruises I have been on usually leave sometime in the afternoon. Most people get there early to get through security and onto the ship early. This means not being able to really do anything the morning of your cruise. If you do the cruise first you get back early on your debarkation day and arrive at the parks fairly early which gives you most of your day in the parks. If you do the cruise second that leaves you with a morning where you can't really do much except wait around.

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

Gotcha! and where was your room? I mean was it higher or lower on the ship?

We (my parents) splurged a little and we were on deck midship outside with a balcony.

But we've taken more cruises since then and have stayed inside. Why do you ask? Concerned about motion sickness? The disney ships are very smooth I thought. Obviously if you have rough seas you will feel the motion, but my wife who is prone to boat sickness was fine. If you are concerned get a lower inside room. Closer to the center of gravity of the ship the less motion you feel. But we really enjoyed the balcony and being up higher closer to the activities.

Upvote 0

Gumpy13

There are truly advantages to both options. You go parks first then cruise you can have a much more relaxing ending to your vacation before you get back. I also like the idea of starting out vacation with a relaxing cruise to put you in a great mindset and to unwind before hitting the parks completely refreshed. So really it comes down to if you want to unwind and relax right before you go home or do you want to be completely relaxed and ready to hit the parks running.

Upvote 0

SallyShine

We also did the parks first and the cruise second. This way you can recover, rest and relax. Although, there is so much to do on the ships it's hard to just do nothing!

Upvote 0

drp4video

I have never done the cruise, but once we did Cocoa Beach for a few days, then the parks. I wish we had reversed it. We were so relaxed after the beach, and then did the hectic parks. It would have been nice to relax at the beach AFTER the parks. I would imagine the same would be with the cruise., so I would vote parks, then cruise. Have fun!

Upvote 0

lbrad

When we did our land/sea cruise we did the parks first then cruise ... so glad we did it this way.

Have a magical time:wave:

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

In September we did parks-cruise-parks. Looking back, we wish we'd done only 2 segments instead of 3. I think I'd go with parks first, too, just because the cruise is sooooo relaxing!

Upvote 0

stillgoofy

We did cruise first then parks which I liked for a couple of reasons. First I got to walk off some of the weight I gained on cruise food at the parks. And second it was less depressing coming off the cruise (which was so spectacular) and not having to go home right away, but instead go to the parks. It was eiasier for us to end our vacation after the parks instead of after the cruise. We're doing the same thing this fall.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We did land and then sea...was the ony way i could work the date but I think if we ever did it again i would stick with this. Run in the parks first and then hit the boat and kick back. We were on the Dream on deck 10 and next time would go for deck 9 mid ship. Was not sure we would like the ship so we only did a 4 day and I cant wait to do a longer trip....thinking ALASKA 2013!!!!

Upvote 0

happymom52003

We did the parks first then the cruise. We also spent one more day/night at WDW after the cruise. You have to get off of the ship very early and our flight home would not have been until late afternoon, so we decided it would be less stressful for us to just spend another night at WDW. It worked out perfectly. If we do a combo park/cruise trip again, I would do it exactly the same way.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I usually say parks first for the reasons above, the cruise is so relaxing. It's nice to relax after running around the parks.

On the other hand it's much more painful for me to leave a cruise than it is for me to leave the parks, so it would be nice to still have part of our vacation to look forward too. :)

Upvote 0

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Sounds good! We actually were talking more about it last night and might just do the full 7 day cruise! Planning on booking the Fantasy for Octber :D

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

We did cruise first then parks which I liked for a couple of reasons. First I got to walk off some of the weight I gained on cruise food at the parks. And second it was less depressing coming off the cruise (which was so spectacular) and not having to go home right away, but instead go to the parks. It was eiasier for us to end our vacation after the parks instead of after the cruise. We're doing the same thing this fall.

Very good points. Yes, debarkation day wasn't nearly as painful knowing we had WDW waiting for us.

I usually say parks first for the reasons above, the cruise is so relaxing. It's nice to relax after running around the parks.

On the other hand it's much more painful for me to leave a cruise than it is for me to leave the parks, so it would be nice to still have part of our vacation to look forward too. :)

Oh yes. After all the relaxing on the ship we noticed that theme carrying over to WDW with us. We were way more laid-back during the 6 nights we were there after the cruise.

In the end, I think it would largely depend on how the days worked out around the cruise. I'd be most likely to let the cruise dates dictate any park time and whether to tack it on before or after. :wave:

Upvote 0

Phonedave

In September we did parks-cruise-parks. Looking back, we wish we'd done only 2 segments instead of 3. I think I'd go with parks first, too, just because the cruise is sooooo relaxing!

I have done it three different ways.

parks - cruise
cruise - parks
parks - cruise - parks

I like the cruise sandwich.

It does make for a looong vacation, but I like comming back to the parks for a day or two afterwards.

There is something about getting off the ship in the morning and being back home that afternoon that is disheartning. (This time last night were doing whatever .....). Being at WDW gives you a bit of a break.

If the sandwich is not an option, I would say parks first. Parks after the cruise can be a bit of a let down. They are more "work" (you have to walk or take the bus, food is not available 24/7 for free, etc)

-dave

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom