Do I need to rent a car ?

saltmom1

I am staying at Inn at Summer Bay. Do I need a car ? This is the first time staying outside the park. :-(
It is in Clermont.
TIA

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
According to MapQuest, Clermont is about 25 miles from WDW. 40 minutes driving.

I'd think a rental would be necessary. Taxis would be expensive. :shrug:

Upvote 0

saltmom1

Original Poster
According to MapQuest, Clermont is about 25 miles from WDW. 40 minutes driving.

I'd think a rental would be necessary. Taxis would be expensive. :shrug:

Maybe Clermont is big. This place is about 5 miles from the gates. They have a free shuttle. I was mainly asking about the need to go to restaurants,etc.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
LOL! OK then...

Getting around WDW using their transportation is fine. Ideally, you want to plan restaurants in or near whichever park you're going to be in, but getting anywhere will take less than an hour from anywhere else... Often under 40.

Just work out where you're going and plan the shortest route to get there. If you're going from a park to DTD, plan to go via a resort that's between the two. Transportation doesn't go directly from parks to/from DTD

Upvote 0

Rob562

Looking it up on Google Maps, it's west of WDW, pretty much to Route 27. That's a bit of a haul from Disney property for shuttles, they may not be very convenient.

You might want to make a rental reservation just in case. Perhaps starting a day or two after you arrive so that you can try the shuttle for a couple days, and if it's bad you pick up the car. (Make sure to use a company that doesn't require a credit card guarantee to make the reservation)

If you do rent a car, check out a map and learn how to enter Disney property via Sherberth Road. With all the signal lights and traffic that can be on 192, you want to get off of it as soon as you can. Sherberth Road is sort of a "side entrance" to the property that brings you in near Animal Kingdom and AKL.

Or, if traffic on 192 is *really* bad and you don't mind spending $1, you can hop on the Western Beltway northbound just past Orange Lake and go one exit to Western Way, which brings you onto Disney property near Coronado Springs.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Don't forget that you will have to pay for parking per day since you are staying off property. I'm not sure what it is now. $13 or so per day can get pricey.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I am staying at Inn at Summer Bay. Do I need a car ? This is the first time staying outside the park. :-(
It is in Clermont.
TIA

If you haven't, I'd suggest calling your resort and asking them about the shuttle schedule. Find out

a: When do the shuttles start heading out to the parks?
b: Do they have indidivual shuttles going to each park? Or does each shuttle hit all four parks? OR do they just drop off at the Ticket & Transportation Center near the Magic Kingdom, where you will be expected to take Disney transportation to the park du jour.
c: How often do the shuttles make the rounds? Every half hour? Every hour? Do they continue throughout the day or are there only a few shuttles in the morning for bringing you to Disney property and only a few to bring you back. Speaking of which...
d: How late do the shuttles pick up at Disney to return you to the resort?

You may decide that their transportation system forces you to spend too much time traveling, with drop off and pick up times that are inconvenient to you (what if you plan to see Reflections of Earth in Epcot one night - which starts at 9 - but the last shuttle departs at 9? No RoE for you). In which case a rental car might be more beneficial for you, even with your having to pay for Disney parking.

Of course, once you factor in the cost of a rental car and parking, it might be more cost effective to consider staying on-site. I don't know, and I'm not about to ask what you're paying for your room. But IF the resort's schedule is not good, and IF a rental car is in your budget, and IF staying onsite is not a possibility, then I'd get the rental car.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I agree with most of the posters, get a rental car. I was in Clermont on Rte 27 in May when I was down to go see a few friends and believe me this was NOT close!!!! It wasnt hours away but certainly not close enough to take a taxi on a regular basis. One of my friends who was driving did point out Sherberth Road and it is closer to AK/AKL. In any event I cant imagine that using taxis/ their shuttles would be an effective use of time or money. Also as others have sadi there is a savings to be realized once you factor in the cost of the rental car/gas/ parking fees so you may want to compare your offsite hotel to an onsite one. Hope this is helpful!!! Marie

Upvote 0

saltmom1

Original Poster
I agree with most of the posters, get a rental car. I was in Clermont on Rte 27 in May when I was down to go see a few friends and believe me this was NOT close!!!! It wasnt hours away but certainly not close enough to take a taxi on a regular basis. One of my friends who was driving did point out Sherberth Road and it is closer to AK/AKL. In any event I cant imagine that using taxis/ their shuttles would be an effective use of time or money. Also as others have sadi there is a savings to be realized once you factor in the cost of the rental car/gas/ parking fees so you may want to compare your offsite hotel to an onsite one. Hope this is helpful!!! Marie

Thank you for the constructive responses,posters.. This is part of a package through our timeshare. They advertise that they are 6 miles from Disney. When I called and asked for the shuttle schedule, they rudely told me that it would not be out until Nov 1 (we are going in nov). Click. I am going to call back and hopefully get someone who is more helpful. Otherwise, the exchange company will be hearing about this.
We are staying at the condos at Summer Bay if that is helpful to any locals or someone who is familiar with that area.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Thank you for the constructive responses,posters.. This is part of a package through our timeshare. They advertise that they are 6 miles from Disney. When I called and asked for the shuttle schedule, they rudely told me that it would not be out until Nov 1 (we are going in nov). Click. I am going to call back and hopefully get someone who is more helpful. Otherwise, the exchange company will be hearing about this.
We are staying at the condos at Summer Bay if that is helpful to any locals or someone who is familiar with that area.

Good for you on your making sure that the exchange company knows about this. There is no call for them to be rude or abrupt with you, as I am certain you werent with them. Good luck with everything!! Marie

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I went onto Trip Advisor to take a look for the address to see REALLY how close you are and I saw a lot of really bad reviews on this place. Please take a look for yourself:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...n_at_Summer_Bay-Clermont_Florida.html#REVIEWS
I realize it is subjective but it was enough to concern me, so I wanted to make sure you get any decent information out there.
Also here is the Mapquest map and information:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/5-68R9
It is about 7 miles and doesnt seem to be too complicated to get to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is the closest Disney area to this hotel. Hope this is helpful!!! Marie

Upvote 0

saltmom1

Original Poster
I went onto Trip Advisor to take a look for the address to see REALLY how close you are and I saw a lot of really bad reviews on this place. Please take a look for yourself:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...n_at_Summer_Bay-Clermont_Florida.html#REVIEWS
I realize it is subjective but it was enough to concern me, so I wanted to make sure you get any decent information out there.
Also here is the Mapquest map and information:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/5-68R9
It is about 7 miles and doesnt seem to be too complicated to get to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is the closest Disney area to this hotel. Hope this is helpful!!! Marie

I am aware of the bad reviews.Marie. We are staying in the condos. Not much we can do about it. We can't change it. I called back again yesterday and got someone who was very helpful. Thy said that because there really isn't much around there, it is wise to have a card. I don't like driving in strange areas and I have difficulty seeing after dark. My husband refuses to help with the driving, so I was trying to get out of keeping the rental car that I reserved. I guess I got my answer.
Thank you Marie. You have been very helpful as always.:wave:
Because my daughter has worked in the hotel industry I also know that the people who write in tend to be the ones who were dissatisfied or who are looking for something for nothing.I take reviews with a grain of salt. In this industry I take it with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

fosse76

Because my daughter has worked in the hotel industry I also know that the people who write in tend to be the ones who were dissatisfied or who are looking for something for nothing.I take reviews with a grain of salt. In this industry I take it with a grain of salt.
I was just about to comment on this! I remember when I booked the Quality Inn in Anaheim, it had great reviews on travelocity. But when I googled it the reviews from Trip Advisor popped up and they were horrible. When I finally checked in, the room, though a little small, was perfectly fine. I had no problems whatsoever! People will find any imperfection and just go on about what a dump a place is. So you really have to read what they are complaining about (some people gave the place one star simply because the continental breakfast was crowded, or the pool was too cold).

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Agreed, But I just wanted to make sure I passed along any info I was able to find. Hey SaltMom please post your experiences when you get back, I'd be interested to see how they stack up to the reviews!!! Marie

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am a little late to the game but here goes.....Get a rental. Shuttles from off property are bad at best. For getting around I would highly recommend a GPS. I have a Tomtom and there are several free Walt Disney World POI's (points of interest) available for download. All you have to do is type in where you are going (ie Magic Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, Disney Quest, etc) and the GPS will do the rest.

Upvote 0

Bocko57

Car Rental - Preferred Choice

I highly recommend a rental car. I have stayed off property a couple of times and tried to use the hotel's shuttles. The shuttle's can be very restricting and not very convenient. Not placing any blame on anyone it's just the nature of the beast.

Even when I am staying on property, I prefer driving my own vehicle. To me it is more convenient and it is more on my schedule and not someone else's.

If you have the money, rent the car.

Upvote 0

ddrongowski

The only time we have not rented a car was 08 when we did the cruise. Other than that a car is a "must have". Why, well the first time we did WDW was 8SEP01 thru 16OCT01. Those that did not have their own transportation were at the complete mercy of WDW transportation. WDW transportation is fantastic, but not when all the parks are closed at the same time, in at noon. Every guest in the parks were asked (not that you had a choice) to head to the front of the parks and exit. Lots of people standing in line for that next bus.

That's just the way I feel about it, but my .02 is GET A RENTAL CAR.

Upvote 0

ryguy

Not really up for discussion you need to rent a car. Anyone who tells you other wise has no clue about the area. Clermont is close as the crow flies, but you can't fly so you have to go around.
I suggest getting a entertainment book and use Alamo coupons or get a code from mousesavers for Dollar, those two are usually the cheapest. Book something now and then check back a week before your trip for last minute deals. Hope that helps and have a great trip.:wave:

Upvote 0

saltmom1

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. I actually have already booked a car. I dont like driving in unfamiliar places and DH refuses . To the poster who mentioned a GPS, I plan on bringing my Tom Tom.
I will post a review when we get back, Marie.
Thanks for all the help.:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom