Do I have to have a credit card when I go?

wem1985

I was wondering, if I book a package with Walt Disney travel company and pay for the whole trip before I go. (Magic Your Way + Dining) and pay for everything before I go, I don't HAVE to have a credit card with me do I?

Aurora_25

I don't believe you do, but honestly, I find it easier to have the credit card with me because then I can charge everything (note, have all the money saved up before I buy things) and I don't have to worry about carrying around a bunch of cash. Now, the only reason I would think you need a credit card is to check in- like you do for normal hotels. It has been a while since I have checked in to Disney (my husband usually does it while I watch the kids) but they might require you to show proof that it is your credit card? Not sure- so don't quote me on that....

Upvote 0

righttrack

I don't think you'll have any room charging priviledges without a credit card on file. So if you pickup a souveneir or a snack or some purchase you'd have to pay on the spot. That may or may not matter depending on what you want to do.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

jrobinson424 said:
You don't have to have one, but it sure would not hurt to take one. Never know what might happen.
There's always something that you JUST HAVE TO BUY lurking around the corner of the Disney Store and if you don't take a credit card and you didn't budget for that purchase.........................

Upvote 0

hcswingfield

You will also not be able to make off-site phone calls from your room or access the internet unless you have a credit card on file for miscellaneous charges.

Upvote 0

MinnieSummer

I'm not sure I agree with everyone who says you don't have to have a credit card with you. I've paid for everything in advance before but was still asked to present the card at check-in. I'm not sure why -- although they said it was for security purposes, to make certain that they had billed the correct number and to make sure the card was really mine I guess.

Upvote 0

swimmom

Even when I have paid for a hotel room with cash at check-in (not at WDW) they ask for a credit card for possible room charges i.e. phone calls, internet access, movies charged to room & room service. I don't know that hotels could put a block on these services, so they want a credit card to insure payment at check out.

Upvote 0

Scooter

I bring my Disney Visa with me in case I see a "must have" high priced item.
Example: My Partners statue.

Also: If you purchased your airline ticket online you will HAVE to have the credit card you purchased it with you when you check in at the airport. The exception would be if you have no check in baggage and have an E-ticket/boarding pass.

Also: If you are renting a car you will have to have a credit card.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Since they are lightweight and don't take up much space, I would opt to take a credit card.

This advice comes from an obsessive light packer. (Wear the pants for at least 2 days--we go in the fall or winter, do laundry at WDW, take one less shirt than necessary because I plan to buy one, etc)

What you definitely WON'T need are:
library card
Blockbuster card
frequent bagel-buyer punch card
photos of your dog
local store credit cards
etc.

I always take only:
2 credit cards (Discover STILL isn't taken everywhere, and it is my card of choice)
health insurance card
photo ID so I can get on the plane

So, clean out that wallet and go!

(Oh--I don't take a wallet either--everything goes in the pack)

Upvote 0

swimmom

I'm with Yellow Shoes. I don't take my purse with me on trips. I have a small bag that can be worn like a pack with a strap or over the shoulder like a purse or just through a belt like a belt loop. Our money/traveler's checks, driver's lisences, a major credit card for myself & one for my husband and our health insurance card goes in the pack. This small pack fits very nicely in a backpack that I carry to & from the airport along with a book, magazine, e-ticket/boarding passes, itineraries, confirmation numbers and anything else that we may want for the flights. The backpack usually stays in our room the entire trip and we just take the small pack with us into the parks.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

swimmom said:
Even when I have paid for a hotel room with cash at check-in (not at WDW) they ask for a credit card for possible room charges i.e. phone calls, internet access, movies charged to room & room service. I don't know that hotels could put a block on these services, so they want a credit card to insure payment at check out.

As we all know, WDW is an entirely different animal. When I checked in with my brother's family, he didn't put a credit card on the room nor had to show them one and the only thing they ask for at check in is a photo id. He had the package where everything was paid for ahead of time.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Scooter said:
Also: If you purchased your airline ticket online you will HAVE to have the credit card you purchased it with you when you check in at the airport. The exception would be if you have no check in baggage and have an E-ticket/boarding pass.

This is not true, as I have purchase my tickets on line with a credit card many times and have the print out confirmation that I present to the skycap or agent at the desk with my photo id and that's all they need, I have never been asked for a credit card. The only time you need a credit card would be to use one of those express check in machines since it needs to be able to read a magnetic strip of some sort.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

shoppingnut said:
The only time you need a credit card would be to use one of those express check in machines since it needs to be able to read a magnetic strip of some sort.

..and not always then. Kansas driver's licenses have a magnetic strip on them that can be read by express check-in kiosks at the airport.

Upvote 0

Erika

DisneyInsider said:
I would definately advise you to take a credit card with you. It never hurts to have extra insurance in case something should happen.

This is true- I'm not one to charge a lot of things but I do usually carry a card just in case I should run into some sort of emergency. You never know.

And of COURSE if you carry a credit card, you keep the company contact info in a separate place in case it should get lost or stolen ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom