Do FastPasses create longer waits or do they not have any affect at all?

Do FastPasses create longer waits or do they not have any affect at all?

• Total voters
No it is not. See? Neither of us are going to convince the other one. This is why I created this thread. To give people that want to argue non-stop about wait times without a resolution and to keep this arguing out of the FP+ returning threads. ;)
I for one, love the discourse here lol. I understand where you are coming from, I disagree, but you certainly have made me think about the complexities more thoroughly. Do you at least agree that a standby line with 1000 people in, same number of people in standby either way, it will move faster without fastpass+?

JIMINYCR

I'm not a scientist or numbers cruncher, I only know it feels like it works for me. Maybe it does create longer lines but I dont mind waiting in a longer line for something else if arranging 3 FP+ times of my choosing guarantees me that I will get to do the most popular attractions I want in the day. Most of the time we are at the parks at opening and get to do those multiple times by targeting those first and having a FP+ as well. The popular attraction is going to have longer lines anyway so I am going to be less likely to stand and wait for anything that has longer timed waits.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
I for one, love the discourse here lol. I understand where you are coming from, I disagree, but you certainly have made me think about the complexities more thoroughly. Do you at least agree that a standby line with 1000 people in, same number of people in standby either way, it will move faster without fastpass+?

Of course. If you had 1000 of each then yes. It would affect the standby lines greatly.

Lilofan

The purpose of FP is Disney doesn't want you to stand in line all day. Get your FP and Disney wants you to walk around the park and spend your $$$. It is working.

Ricky Spanish

We were at WDW June 5-16.
We thought that no Fastpasses would be a major problem.
That said, we got on all the rides we wanted without major wait times.
And that was obviously due to lower capacity.
Biggest wait was 1 hour for Smugglers Run (disappointing).
But I’m sure paid Fastpasses at WDW will be a thing soon.
Why give you something for free when the mouse can charge you?

Of course. If you had 1000 of each then yes. It would affect the standby lines greatly.
Ok, I just wanted to make sure lol. I think other people may not be following your logic entirely and are misunderstanding that you do not believe this. I follow what you are saying but absolutely cannot agree or disagree because i just do not see the data which indicates one way or the other. very interesting though, I appreciate your insight!

Goofyernmost

I'm not a scientist or numbers cruncher, I only know it feels like it works for me. Maybe it does create longer lines but I dont mind waiting in a longer line for something else if arranging 3 FP+ times of my choosing guarantees me that I will get to do the most popular attractions I want in the day. Most of the time we are at the parks at opening and get to do those multiple times by targeting those first and having a FP+ as well. The popular attraction is going to have longer lines anyway so I am going to be less likely to stand and wait for anything that has longer timed waits.
That is ok and the right way to approach it. If you get a guarantee that you can get on your favorite ride quicker that that is absolutely correct, however, those that say that they save time overall in a day is incorrect. If they ride nothing but FP rides they will indeed save time and see what they want to see, but if you are like me and enjoy all the attractions, I will still attempt to get a FP for my top favorites, but I know that I'm not doing that to save time in my days visit. I will leave knowing that I saw what I wanted guaranteed, but I will not see more because of it. Chances are I will see a lot less then I would have if there was no FP anywhere.

That is ok and the right way to approach it. If you get a guarantee that you can get on your favorite ride quicker that that is absolutely correct, however, those that say that they save time overall in a day is incorrect. If they ride nothing but FP rides they will indeed save time and see what they want to see, but if you are like me and enjoy all the attractions, I will still attempt to get a FP for my top favorites, but I know that I'm not doing that to save time in my days visit. I will leave knowing that I saw what I wanted guaranteed, but I will not see more because of it. Chances are I will see a lot less then I would have if there was no FP anywhere.
I agree and disagree with you here. I think you are noticing that the efficacy of FP+ and the impact it will have on ones experience is greatly influenced by how one utilizes the service. I agree with this 100%. I think that simply based on experience and minimal data, touring your way is likely moderately better than with zero FP+,which is where we disagree because you atate that it does not save time overall, but you could certainly be correct... without the requisite information its impossible to say one way or another. I am torn because I want what is best for me... of course, but I also dont want it to be to the detriment of others experience.

Goofyernmost

I agree and disagree with you here. I think you are noticing that the efficacy of FP+ and the impact it will have on ones experience is greatly influenced by how one utilizes the service. I agree with this 100%. I think that simply based on experience and minimal data, touring your way is likely moderately better than with zero FP+,which is where we disagree because you atate that it does not save time overall, but you could certainly be correct... without the requisite information its impossible to say one way or another. I am torn because I want what is best for me... of course, but I also dont want it to be to the detriment of others experience.
My opinion is base solely on the fact that I spent many years in full queues before there ever was FP and that it was a smooth, quick trip from entrance to the ride. Constant movement and no long stops waiting for others to push ahead of you. Psychologically that is a very significant thing on a hot summer day in Florida. With or without a FP the line and total number of people that is possible to accommodate in an hour does not change. The capacity remains the same so a line, regardless of the people in it will move quicker without any movement interruptions by FP riders and will physically have to move you faster.

JusticeDisney

No it is not. See? Neither of us are going to convince the other one. This is why I created this thread. To give people that want to argue non-stop about wait times without a resolution and to keep this arguing out of the FP+ returning threads. ;)
Are you seriously trying to claim that a line of 100 people that boards a ride uninterrupted by a separate FP line has a wait time that is just the same as a line of 100 people that boards a ride with frequent pauses causes by people boarding from a separate FP line? LMAO!

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Are you seriously trying to claim that a line of 100 people that boards a ride uninterrupted by a separate FP line has a wait time that is just the same as a line of 100 people that boards a ride with frequent pauses causes by people boarding from a separate FP line? LMAO!
I'm saying the effect is negligible. Heaven forbid that you have to wait an extra 60 seconds for the few fastpass people to get through the line. LMAO! 🙄

JusticeDisney

I'm saying the effect is negligible. Heaven forbid that you have to wait an extra 60 seconds for the few fastpass people to get through the line. LMAO! 🙄
If that’s what you’re saying, you might want to re-word your original question, because that’s not what you asked. Also, if you think FP riders account for 60 seconds worth of delay, then at least we all now know you’ve never actually been to WDW. LMAO at this thread!

G00fyDad

Original Poster
If that’s what you’re saying, you might want to re-word your original question, because that’s not what you asked. Also, if you think FP riders account for 60 seconds worth of delay, then at least we all now know you’ve never actually been to WDW. LMAO at this thread!
Oh, you misunderstood everything then. I just simply threw this thread onto the board because a bunch of people were taking up another thread and derailing it with talk about wait times. I figured I'd give everyone a space to argue till they're blue in the face.

el_super

There really is no debate to the original question posed in this thread. FP makes standby wait times at every single attraction longer. Period. The trade off, of course, is that FP makes the wait time significantly shorter for the rides that you actually have a FP for. It really is that simple.

Overall though, through the course of a day, you end up waiting about the same amount of time. The rides per cap figures haven't changed all that much since the 80s...

That being said, if you really wnat to blow this whole thread apart, start pondering whether systems like Fastpass have impacted the amazing acceleration of attendance numbers. People merely *thinking* they have an option to skip lines, can actually contribute to more people in the park, and longer wait times overall.

JusticeDisney

Oh, you misunderstood everything then. I just simply threw this thread onto the board because a bunch of people were taking up another thread and derailing it with talk about wait times. I figured I'd give everyone a space to argue till they're blue in the face.
Nope. Didn’t misunderstand a thing. You started a poll wherein you asked if people think that a FP line adds to the wait time in the standby line. As if there could possibly be any answer other than yes. Then once I pointed that out to you, instead of just admitting it was a silly question to ask, you pivoted and started talking about “well, the extra wait time is only minimal.” LMAO at peoples’ utter inability to simply admit when they are wrong. Oh well, that’s the world we live in, I guess.

JusticeDisney

Overall though, through the course of a day, you end up waiting about the same amount of time. The rides per cap figures haven't changed all that much since the 80s...

That being said, if you really wnat to blow this whole thread apart, start pondering whether systems like Fastpass have impacted the amazing acceleration of attendance numbers. People merely *thinking* they have an option to skip lines, can actually contribute to more people in the park, and longer wait times overall.
Totally agree with every word you typed.

JusticeDisney

On further reflection, I apologize for interjecting into this thread. You’re certainly entitled to post what you want and there’s no reason for me to come at you about it. That’s bad on me and I’m sorry about that. I hope you have a great night.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
On further reflection, I apologize for interjecting into this thread. You’re certainly entitled to post what you want and there’s no reason for me to come at you about it. That’s bad on me and I’m sorry about that. I hope you have a great night.
i aint even mad sleeping beauty GIF

Doug Means

Easy answer there: No.

Though I'd argue most people don't think it saves them money, they just like the "convenience," which is awfully silly if you ask me.
why is it silly to pay for your food up front and make it super convenient while at WDW. It also helps me not spend the money I have for eating. If I didn't have the dining plan I might spend the money on something else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom