DL Wardrobe Help!!

KCheatle

Original Poster
Having been to Orlando numerous times in May, I am 100% familiar with what the weather can be like there. However, I've never been to Anaheim in May. I've looked online and it says ~75 high, and 50s for low. I know what to wear in Nebraska for temps like that, but I'm also not outside all day in temps like that...

So, for those of you who live there/are familiar with going to DL in May, help me out with what to pack for this trip please!! Am I going to be cold outside all day in shorts and t-shirts? Should I be wearing pants and a zip up or something? I'm a little lost here!! :confused::confused:

Tom

Beta Return
We live in Indiana, so 50 can be "warm", and I will often wear shorts and a sweatshirt. But we visited DLR twice in 2013 - once in May, and again in December. Their 50 feels cooler than our midwest 50. My suggestion is to over-pack. Take shorts and tees for the daytime, and jeans and sweatshirt for the cool nights.

sheriffwoody

I would probably still wear shorts and just add a jacket or pullover. Definitely pack a pair of pants though if you are cold the first day. Maybe tennis shoes too instead of sandals, so your toes stay warm :)

Travel Junkie

Sometimes it does get chilly in the afternoon and evening. There is usually a breeze. If it comes from the east (the desert) it will be a warm breeze and feel warmer than the temp. If it comes from the west (the ocean) it is a cool breeze and makes it feel colder. Also that time of year there is sometimes coastal fog that Californian’s call May gray or June gloom which keeps temps cool all day.

The best thing is bring layers. T-shirt and shorts or pants for the middle of the day and add a jacket or sweatshirt for the evening and early morning.

JillC LI

We were there in late May last year. We all were comfortable in shorts and t-shirts all day long. I stuffed a windbreaker in my backpack but never needed it. Bring sunscreen.

Miceberg

I've lived within 35 miles of Disneyland my entire life so I'm familiar with the weather. You should be fine with t-shirt, shorts and for the mornings, a light sweatshirt. Flip flops or tennis shoes would be your choice, but either works.

TP2000

@KCheatle Your typical Resort Casual attire works fine, with sweaters or light jackets for evenings and mornings in May.

You will not experience humidity or rain. It will likely be foggy/overcast in the mornings, and sometimes it sticks around all day as Anaheim is only 7 miles from the ocean as the crow flies. As the ocean temps begin to rise in May it produces a low lying marine layer of clouds that stretches 10 or 15 miles inland, but they're incapable of producing actual rain. Us locals call that weather pattern "May Gray".

If you want to go to some of the nice restaurants in Downtown Disney, or the Napa Rose in the Grand Californian, Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel, or the Carthay Circle Restaurant in DCA, a "Date Nite" casual-chic outfit would see you through any of those dressier/trendier environments just fine.

Bairstow

Not sure if you've left yet, but we just got back.

For the first part of our stay (early April) the weather in Anaheim was unseasonably warm. We happily stayed in our shorts and T-shirts all day and night long and drank tons of water.
Last Sunday though, things began to be more normal for Anaheim- balmy in the mornings, fairly hot in the afternoon, and fairly chilly at night, especially with all the wind.
They were actually having to periodically close some of the Paradise Pier rides due to strong gusts.
The overcast "May gray" returned as well.
By this past Monday we were going to the park with a backpack with a change of clothes- long pants and a light jacket, and were glad to have them.

There was never even a hint or rumor of rain the whole time we were there.

Figments Friend

I have visited in late April-early May these past couple of years and find having a zip-up sweatshirt a welcome necessity.
The early mornings and later evenings i was glad to have it.
It also can be handy to have inside some Attractions, as the AC can sometimes feel a bit too chilly after being active out in the sun.

I usually pack shorts just in case it gets really warm out during my visit but i rarely feel a need to wear them, and i come from the chilly part of the East Coast.
The *thawing out* is quite welcome.
I often wear long black pants on a 80 degree day and feel just fine.
Must be why i am always getting mistaken for a Cast Member.....
:D

KCheatle

Original Poster
We actually leave Wednesday!! I've been watching the weather, and trying to figure it out. I think the suggestions are great for the layers - thanks!! Luckily, we're staying right there at the Grand Californian. So, if the weather is just way-off what we predicted, it's pretty easy to just stop back and change quick. Otherwise, I think we'll plan on capris/shorts, tshirts and zip ups. We're pretty much wearing that right now in Nebraska, so just stay status-quo I think!

Side note - the pool is heated right??

Bairstow

I was actually wearing convertible pants for the last couple days, but these are probably way too dorky for most people to tolerate.

courtesy-of-columbia.jpg

KCheatle

Original Poster
Yeah....not sure I'll be wearing those ;)

I think my DD and I will stick to our sporty capris. The DH and DS will probably stick with shorts and zip ups. They've been wearing shorts and zip ups now for weeks in 60s/70s with no issues, so hopefully they'll be okay.

JediMasterMatt

Enjoy your trip. The main bit of advice I can give about SoCal's climate that sometimes takes people by surprise is that due to the lack of relative humidity, when the sun goes down - it does seem cooler than what you would expect at a given temperature.

Of course, you did mention the possibility for rain while you are there. As long as the rain doesn't interfere with your opportunity to see parades and shows, you will enjoy it. Crowds are significantly lighter due to the fact that the locals can't drive when the roads get wet and everyone is too afraid to step out the door. Be sure to tune into a local TV station if you can and watch the fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom