Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

brodie999

Disney pulled a October 2021 film from their release schedule to let Sony's Marvel movie take the spot for them. I wonder what this means for their growing relationship?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney pulled a October 2021 film from their release schedule to let Sony's Marvel movie take the spot for them. I wonder what this means for their growing relationship?

I wouldn't read into it too much, it all comes down to money. Disney is likely to get a cut of that Marvel movie as Sony tries to intertwine its Spiderverse with the MCU. So why cannibalize a film that is likely going to bring in money for you. Its just smart business to move your non-MCU movie to another date and let Sony have the date and get a cut of the pie. Also my bet is that is the rumored Kraven movie which is suppose to tie into Holland's Spider-Man.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I'm not sure what you're trying to indicate here. This isn't anything. Its a no nothing story that doesn't indicate anything speculative about Disney's next acquisition. And no Sony dropping Vue (something they've been talking about for a long time now) in favor or Hulu doesn't indicate Disney is buying Sony. So again I don't get why you posted this story here.

If anything this story belongs in the streaming thread.

Darkprime

Original Poster
So it looks like AMC theaters could be going up for sale soon somehow I dont see Disney being a potential buyer during all of this though could be wrong tho.

bartholomr4

So it looks like AMC theaters could be going up for sale soon somehow I dont see Disney being a potential buyer during all of this though could be wrong tho.

With everything going on, I think Disney’s focus will be on getting everything shut-down back on-line. I could see them trying to buy one of the cruise ship companies out of bankruptcy, before they would get into a historically thin margin business. There may be anti-trust issues with the purchase of any movie theater chains by Disney as well.

matt78

With everything going on, I think Disney’s focus will be on getting everything shut-down back on-line. I could see them trying to buy one of the cruise ship companies out of bankruptcy, before they would get into a historically thin margin business. There may be anti-trust issues with the purchase of any movie theater chains by Disney as well.

If I was Disney I don't think I would want to buy cruise ships or a movie theater chain. Don't they already own enough businesses that were impacted by this. Why add more for the next times something like this happens.

Slpy3270

Doubling down on a failing industry (cruise ship passengers are disproportionately older and senior) doesn't seem like a smart move.

bartholomr4

SteamboatJoe

I doubt they give Iger the title of CEO again, but I have never doubted he is and has been in control. I am not a Chapek fan, but man, what a way to start a new role as CEO....... I also think there is some speculation (as usual) in the NYTimes article. Time will tell, but you should expect change, and probably not change we will like.

Any specific thoughts on what kind of unpopular changes you think will be likely? More live-action remakes? More cheap animated sequels? Higher prices? More upcharges?

bartholomr4

Any specific thoughts on what kind of unpopular changes you think will be likely? More live-action remakes? More cheap animated sequels? Higher prices? More upcharges?

I think they are going to focus like a laser on 20th Century and overlapping operations between the 21CF acquisition and Disney. The company is clearly top heavy on this side of the business. I think Iger will go after management layers and content creation. Chapek will continue his already in process work effort at the park.

Spending will likely go up at the parks in my view because they are going to have to change processes to protect visitors (not the spending which creates new rides and or experiences, but the net need of resources in the parks is likely to go up!). In the short term, the ratio of cast members to park visitors will go up.

I don't see a change to existing construction efforts because that spending is "capitalized" and not expensed. New projects may be delayed, but who knows when this is all said and done and congress is done with incentives, maybe new construction will occur. I think the first thing we see active at the parks is construction re-starts.

I also see no upcharges or higher prices... think of 2009-2010 everything on sale with free meals, etc......

Last edited:

Slpy3270

I think they are going to focus like a laser on 20th Century and overlapping operations between the 21CF acquisition and Disney. The company is clearly top heavy on this side of the business. I think Iger will go after management layers and content creation. Chapek will continue his already in process work effort at the park.

Spending will likely go up at the parks in my view because they are going to have to change processes to protect visitors (not the spending which creates new rides and or experiences, but the net need of resources in the parks is likely to go up!). In the short term, the ratio of cast members to park visitors will go up.

I don't see a change to existing construction efforts because that spending is "capitalized" and not expensed. New projects may be delayed, but who knows when this is all said and done and congress is done with incentives, maybe new construction will occur. I think the first thing we see active at the parks is construction re-starts.

I also see no upcharges or higher prices... think of 2009-2010 everything on sale with free meals, etc......

Exactly. It was clear since the deal was first announced that Disney was done making acquisitions (for now) so that everything could be smoothly integrated within the next three or so years. The pandemic will likely just slow things down a bit, but to call it a failure just a year into the merger, while 21CF still has a bunch of old contracts to deal with before fully assimilating into Disney like ABC, ESPN, Marvel and Lucasfilm, is just silly.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Good overview. What change wont be like? The impact that the increased park labor costs are going to have on hours, entertainment offerings, etc.?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom