Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Tony the Tigger

As far as the box office goes, it is/was pretty well assumed by most that the movie would make between 600/700mil plus. Will that be a success or failure? Depends on your definition. If the movie makes money, I'd say it was successful. If it falls short of making a profit, that's a fail in my eyes.
A fail for whom?

Did Disney make a bad movie?

Disstevefan1

A fail for whom?

Did Disney make a bad movie?
The movie is a success.

The question is will it make more money than it cost to make and market (which is still happening).

While Disney can afford to lose money on projects here and there, it would be good to see a successful and profitable project from time to time.

I am hoping they are profitable here.

doctornick

Pete’s Dragon as well

I was actually going to mention Pete's Dragon, though I would say that the two movies are so different that there aren't really comparable. But more importantly, neither was really an animated film so it doesn't fit the animated original -> live action remake concept. It's more of a reboot of the same concept, akin to (say) The Parent Trap being remade.

DCLcruiser

My wife and I saw it in Dolby Cinema ($$$). We are white, 30s, no kids (yet). The theatre (6 pm Saturday) had a decent amount of seats filled, not sold out, but it's a lot more money than the basic theatre. It was very good. The visuals were great, the music was good, and the adjustments from the original/extra scenes were nice. I would watch it again. A great compliment to the original for a new generation.

My wife thought it was the best Disney liveaction remake so far.

Disstevefan1

. Before the movie came out. when the casting was announced some wanted Ariel to look like the animated character. If (whoever) was cast looked like the animated character (regardless of race) no one would have said anything.

Now that the movie is out, everyone says the best thing about the movie is Halle Bailey.

Now that the movie is out, generally folks are complaining that it's another live action remake, how Sebastian and Flounder look, some complain about the CGI and the length of the movie. All valid complaints.

The bottom line in my mind is that this was not made for adults to watch, it was made for kids to watch and if the kids like it and want to see it, that's great.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlakeW39

I have to disagree. Before the movie came out. when the casting was announced some wanted Ariel to look like the animated character. If (whoever) was cast looked like the animated character (regardless of race) no one would have said anything.

Now that the movie is out, everyone says the best thing about the movie is Halle Bailey.

Now that the movie is out, generally folks are complaining that it's another live action remake, how Sebastian and Flounder look, some complain about the CGI and the length of the movie. All valid complaints.

The bottom line in my mind is that this was not made for adults to watch, it was made for kids to watch and if the kids like it and want to see it, that's great.

I wouldn't say this film was intended for children. I'd say it's intended for a multigenerational, all-ages audience that is, obviously, majority female.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

The question is whether or not this movie will make money. That's a little doubtful, at this point, given it's done so badly overseas.

As I understand it, the movie needs to make 650 million just to break even. We'll see what happens...

DCLcruiser

I have to disagree. Before the movie came out. when the casting was announced some wanted Ariel to look like the animated character. If (whoever) was cast looked like the animated character (regardless of race) no one would have said anything.

It is definitely not a kids-oriented movie. It's for Teens/Adults and kids might like that it's Ariel.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here are the official box office totals from Disney.

"Disney’s The Little Mermaid—filmmaker Rob Marshall’s live-action reimagining of the studio’s Academy Award®-winning animated musical classic—topped the box office in its opening weekend. Earning $118.6 million domestically, The Little Mermaid posted the fifth highest Memorial Day weekend opening of all time. The movie also received an “A” CinemaScore and holds a Rotten Tomatoes verified moviegoer rating of 95 percent. Internationally, The Little Mermaid earned an additional $79 million in its debut weekend."

Disstevefan1

Here are the official box office totals from Disney.

"Disney’s The Little Mermaid—filmmaker Rob Marshall’s live-action reimagining of the studio’s Academy Award®-winning animated musical classic—topped the box office in its opening weekend. Earning $118.6 million domestically, The Little Mermaid posted the fifth highest Memorial Day weekend opening of all time. The movie also received an “A” CinemaScore and holds a Rotten Tomatoes verified moviegoer rating of 95 percent. Internationally, The Little Mermaid earned an additional $79 million in its debut weekend."

As for the numbers, I wish they also measured "number of tickets sold".

Unless they adjust for inflation when using earnings, it's not a true measure.

We won't know for a long time if this movie took in more money than it cost to make and market, not that that matters all that much, but it is another measure that some people care about.

Trauma

The way some of you people are twisting yourselves into pretzels trying to pretend this movie is a failure is astonishing. It’s only the 5th biggest Memorial Day opening in history.
That number is not adjusted for inflation so it means nothing. It’s just more spin.

Let’s just deal in facts- Mermaid opened to 164M global

With a movie of this budget and marketing campaign that is a big problem.

It is well within the realm of possibility if this doesn’t have an amazing 2nd weekend domestic hold, that it is going to lose a lot of money.

It’s not a complete failure yet but the writing is on the wall.

This weekend will let us know for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom