Disney's Decision on Far. 911

wdwmaniac

Original Poster
Disney to Sell 'Fahrenheit 9/11' to Weinsteins
May 12, 2004: 16:39 p.m. EST

-
LOS ANGELES -- Walt Disney Co. (DIS) will sell the controversial Michael Moore documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" back to Harvey and Bob Weinstein, co-chairmen of Disney's Miramax unit. The Weinsteins will seek distribution of the film.

Miramax last year financed the bulk of the $6 million movie. But Disney quickly said they wouldn't allow the film to be released by the company, and Miramax never set a release date for it.

The movie is an examination of the U.S. after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, with an eye toward possible connections between the families of President Bush and al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Mr. Moore and his agent last week publicly blasted Disney for the decision, with Mr. Moore accusing the entertainment giant of censorship. Disney replied the decision was made more than a year ago, and Mr. Moore and his backers had more than enough time to line up other distribution.

Miramax issued a statement saying it was pleased that Disney had agreed to sell the movie to the Weinsteins. Disney and Miramax did a similar deal a few years ago with the film "Dogma," a religious satire Disney didn't want to release.

No distributor has yet been lined up for "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Dow Jones Newswires 05-12-04 1639ET Copyright (C) 2004 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

GaryT977

I think that's the right decision, business wise. I'm not sure how Disney got involved in such a politically charged project to begin with. And they sure did mangle the whole way they handled this.

That being said, I hope Mirimax can find another distributor before the election.

Shaman

Wether intentional or not (I'm sure its the later), they sure like giving this movie publicity...I'm sure Disney won't get rid of 100% of the film...they want some of those coveted box office $$$

MouseRight

Originally posted by GaryT977
And they sure did mangle the whole way they handled this.

With all due respect Gary, Disney (read this as Eisner) did not "mangle" this. Moore has admitted that he cretaed this fake controvery as publicity for the film. Disney told Weinstein & Moore last May that they would not distribute this film. There is another thread on this somewhere. It has the entire story. Morre waited until a few weeks before the movie was to premiere in Cannes to start the fire.

Let's give Disney a break on this one. There was no easy or right way to handle it. It was a no-win situation for the Mouse.

GaryT977

If you say so. It looks mangled to me, regardless of whether Mr. Moore staged it that way or not. It reminds me of the brew-ha-ha a fw years back involving that Jesus movie (the one before the Passion). How did they allow themselves to get mixed up in this?

mickey04

Personally I dont understand what the big deal is? Didnt Disney team with Miramax so they could distribute movies that were perhaps too risque to be released under the "Disney" brand.

Anyway, this may not be over yet...

Moore Says He'll 'Tell All' About Disney

May 15, 6:49 PM (ET)

CANNES, France (AP) - Michael Moore said he will eventually "tell all" about his clash with Walt Disney Co., which stopped subsidiary Miramax from distributing his anti-President Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Moore was at the Cannes Film Festival on Saturday, where the film was to premiere Monday in the main competition.

Film critic Roger Ebert, who moderated a panel with Moore, asked if he thought about making a movie called "Michael and Me," about Disney chief executive Michael Eisner.

The question was a reference to Moore's first film, 1989's "Roger & Me," which chronicles Moore's attempts to confront General Motors chief Roger Smith about the automaker's plant closings.

"I have a lot to say about Disney, and a lot that hasn't been reported," said Moore, who won an Academy Award for his scathingly funny "Bowling for Columbine," an indictment of America's gun culture.

Harvey and Bob Weinstein, who run Miramax, have said they plan to buy "Fahrenheit 9/11" and find a different distributor.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All right reserved.

Tom

Beta Return
That being said, I hope Mirimax can find another distributor before the election.

And with that being said, I hope that the film is lost and that perhaps Moore goes bankrupt before anything gets released, haha! It's going to be such a flop - what an idiot that guy is!

lebernadin

Originally posted by edwardtc
And with that being said, I hope that the film is lost and that perhaps Moore goes bankrupt before anything gets released, haha! It's going to be such a flop - what an idiot that guy is!

How does your foot taste?

This thread will definately be revived in the summer of 05 when the film has made, i'm guessing, $80-120 million worldwide.

The world is waiting for this film, deal with it.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by edwardtc

:rolleyes: Anywhoo.. yeah since this is such a flop....

from The drudge report:

MOORE BRINGS DOWN HOUSE: LONGEST STANDING OVATION 'IN HISTORY OF CANNES'

20 mins standing ovation for FAHRENHEIT 9-11, yelling, screaming, cheering... 'This is the longest standing ovation in the history of the festival! Unbelievable!' declared Cannes stalwart Thierry Fremaux. Moore, raising fist, unable to speak over crowd, vows to fight...

Oh yeah... HUGE flop at CANNES', your right... they should just burn the film now.

:brick: :brick: :brick: :hammer:

:D :wave:

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by DMC-12

from The drudge report:

20 mins standing ovation for FAHRENHEIT 9-11, yelling, screaming, cheering... 'This is the longest standing ovation in the history of the festival! Unbelievable!' declared Cannes stalwart Thierry Fremaux. Moore, raising fist, unable to speak over crowd, vows to fight...

Oh yeah... HUGE flop at CANNES', your right... they should just burn the film now.

Isn't that kind of different though? The Cannes Film Festival is filled with celebrities who are mostly Democrat and against the President so of course they're going to hoot and holler for this film. Whereas when the film does indeed come out, the reaction will probably be different because the audience will be different. Don't know if I made much sense.

Now, I am not a political person nor am I really for either party but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about that. I've seen a couple of movies by Michael Moore in my Sociology through Film class, including "Roger and Me," which was pretty funny. However, I just don't like the man. There's just something about him that seems annoying and zealous and maybe fake. Could be wrong though. Again, I'm not trying to stir up trouble with those of you that are obviously for this guy and for the film. :)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by DDuckFan130
Isn't that kind of different though? The Cannes Film Festival is filled with celebrities who are mostly Democrat and against the President so of course they're going to hoot and holler for this film. Whereas when the film does indeed come out, the reaction will probably be different because the audience will be different. Don't know if I made much sense.

Oh, I agree 100%, but I guess the "HUGE Response" that he got, is what caught my attention... And you are right... when a larger audience 'and average american Joe' does go to see.. we will see what kinda response it gets then! :) :wave:

DDuckFan130

Oh, I agree 100%, but I guess the "HUGE Response" that he got, is what caught my attention... And you are right... when a larger audience 'and average american Joe' does go to see.. we will see what kinda response it gets then! :) :wave:

Yeah that definitely IS something. It caught MY attention :lol:

GaryT977

Unfortunately, the average Joe won't go see a documentary. I'm not Michael Moore uber fan or anything. In fact, I haven't seen any of his films, but I've read some of his work, and his seems cogent enough.

The only reason I'm hoping this hits the theaters before the election is that it would be nice to have some counter the media that has given a free pass to this administration. Although, to be honest, I doubt people who like Bush would go see it in the first place, anymore than I'll ever watch The Passion. :animwink:

SIR90210

from The drudge report:

NO F-ING S! FRANCE (where Cannes is) LOATHES THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION, JUST LIKE ALL THE SPINLESS CREATURES, NAMELY MICHAEL MOORE, WHO ARE TAKING THIS AS AN OPPURTUNITY TO GET ATTENTION AND THINK THAT EVIL DICTATORS SHOULD BE STOPPES BY SENDING THEM SUPPLIES!!!!! WHAT KIND OF BULL IS THAT?!?!:?!?!?!

SIR90210

[B Although, to be honest, I doubt people who like Bush would go see it in the first place [/B]

If ANYONE ever dragged me to see that trash, I would play Charlie Daniels TOP VOLUME the whole movie!

lebernadin

edwardtc said:

As a promised....

It has made 21.96 million since Wed, according to an article released by Reuters this morning. Its #1 and only on 868 screens, while the rest of the top 5 films are on at least 2500 screens.

So much for your rhetoric!

Further monetary updates to follow as the weeks go by.

:wave:

ACE

lebernadin said:
As a promised....

It has made 21.96 million since Wed, according to an article released by Reuters this morning. Its #1 and only on 868 screens, while the rest of the top 5 films are on at least 2500 screens.

So much for your rhetoric!

Further monetary updates to follow as the weeks go by.

:wave:

Just goes to show you that FICTION is always big at the box office.

:wave: ACE

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom