Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island to close (will WDW's follow suit?)

CaptainMichael

I'm all for a redo of the island... Just not into a Pirates theme. Disney is going a bit far with princesses and pirates. I'm sick of them both.

I think they should build a ride out there. I mean, DLP's Thunder Mountain is on their frontierland island, I'm sure something big could be put out there

I completely agree Jonnie.

I guess I'll be seeing you at the CP meeting at the end of the month...I think I just need to bite the bullet and do it.

CoffeeJedi

I think they should build a ride out there. I mean, DLP's Thunder Mountain is on their frontierland island, I'm sure something big could be put out there
Maybe, but I like a good richly themed immersive environment that offers free-roaming exploration. The entirety of New Orleans square at Disneyland basically offers that. I don't feel that the MK has enough of these spaces. And lets face it, immersion and theming is what seperates Disney from the others.

netenyahoo

I don't think they could pull the change off right at WDW as Pirates is not close to the island. They would need to retheme it to something that would keep the Frontierland / Liberty Square feel.

At DL they could possible pull it off as the island is in view of Frontierland, New Orleans Square (POTC) and Critter Country. The only problem is the Mark Twain paddle boat would look way out of place going around a tropical island. The canoes would look funny too. The indian village you see from the boats would need to go too. The railroad also gets a view of the island. I don't like the idea of the change as I feel the island as is really gives a sense of theme and fits well with all the lands and brings all the themes together from the 3 lands.

Chape19714

I'd like to point out that the idea has NOT been officaly confirmed by Disney at this time. Also, the author gives a pretty one-sided view on the situation.

MicBat-that'd be good, but here in FL, TSI is not connected to the Utilidors or the Garbage Disposal system, which poses some problems. In DLP, you get on the island on the train through a tunnel. I don't think a tunnel is feasible for us, I could be wrong though.

bassman

this pirates retheme of tom sawyer island sounds soo cool.
think about it how cool would it be for kids (and some of their parents)
to explore the treasure cave of isla dimuerta, and if they found a way to have the black pearl sat docked on the banks of the island so as not to distrupt the path of the liberty belle and kid could freely explore the ship.
or even have other things as well like Tia Dalmas treehouse shack and and maybe even part of tortuga port, the bar there could be a restaurant for you to relax and get out of the sun.
and they could have jack sparrow,barbossa,will and elizabeth meet 'n' greets at certain times of the day spread all over the island.

im all for it to go in disneyland and, if its successful,it coming to WDW.
like many have already said the POTC franchise is huge thanks to the movies why not capitalise on the popularity.sure maybe themeing an entire hotel to POTC is a bit extreme but tom sawyer island has been dead for years,it needs some new life bringing in to it.

Kalikala

I really wouldn't mind Disney doing a Pirate Island... as long as they stuck it in Adventureland somewhere. I can see why they would look into doing something to TSI, since it doesn't draw much of a crowd, but the lack of crowds there is exactly why it is likeable. I don't go there often, but I like having the option, it's comforting somehow.

If they could do a TSI-inspired play area in Adventureland (Maybe including a full-sized ship to explore, a sandy beach to dig for "treasure", etc.), I'd be all for it. Kids need a few places in the park where they can run and jump and climb and go crazy, or just sit quietly and play in the sand.

imagineer boy

I swear, this is easily one of the worst ideas I've ever seen come out of Disney so far. And I don't want to hear any "Oh, you can't handle change!" statements. Tom Sawyer's island does need change, but pirates is not the answer. First of all, how is that going to look?! A tropical island in the middle of "The Rivers of America." How does that work? And how weird would it look to see a 1800s steamer floating past a tropical island? I can't see this working!!! It would go fine in Advertureland it there was space, but this is just terrible. And lastly, enough with pirates! I love the movies, and the rehab to POTC was great, but this would be serious overkill just like Stitch. I really hope WDW's Tom Sawyer island follows suit. Because this is another prime example that Disney cares more about what's marketable than if the blasted ride even fits the theme of the land its in.

bassman

I really wouldn't mind Disney doing a Pirate Island... as long as they stuck it in Adventureland somewhere. I can see why they would look into doing something to TSI, since it doesn't draw much of a crowd, but the lack of crowds there is exactly why it is likeable. I don't go there often, but I like having the option, it's comforting somehow.

If they could do a TSI-inspired play area in Adventureland (Maybe including a full-sized ship to explore, a sandy beach to dig for "treasure", etc.), I'd be all for it. Kids need a few places in the park where they can run and jump and climb and go crazy, or just sit quietly and play in the sand.

i see what you mean Kalikala, the appeal of TSI to me at the moment is the fact that it is quiet,and a place next to POTC in adventure land would be cool but i think that if it is called pirate island then it should be an island,to me it adds a small sense of realism to it.
i really like your idea of being able to dig for "treasure",but i think ellaborate that,make going to the island an adventure.
ok here's my idea.
the rafts could be rethemed to look like small pirate ships or make them bigger with a bigger guest carrying number say make it the same size as the boats that take you from the port orleans resort to DD.
once the raft/boat docks at pirate island there could be a CM stood there telling you old tales of piracy this is how we find out about the hidden stuff.
hidden all over the island could be things that have something to do with these stories,things like blackbeards hat and sword stood in the ground somewhere on the island or small pieces of the cursed aztec gold could be scattered all over the island and you have the task of finding how many there are,(obviously these would be embedded in stuff like sand, the pavement, rocks and other things and will not be able to be picked up),just little things like that for the kids to find and see.and then have something along the same lines as the boneyard at AK in donoland usa, but instead of bones it could be things like chests and gold.
on one side of the main island there could be the black pearl moored to the island and a small roped plankway from the middle desk and the beach.and it could be fully recreated (obviously it would be downscaled a bit so as to allow the liberty belle to pass by it).

MicBat

MicBat-that'd be good, but here in FL, TSI is not connected to the Utilidors or the Garbage Disposal system, which poses some problems. In DLP, you get on the island on the train through a tunnel. I don't think a tunnel is feasible for us, I could be wrong though.

I never thought about that. I did think, though, that the utliidors stopped at CBJ. I could be wrong, though.

metscool

I think it will happen. But I think that Disney will use DL as an experiment and then they would do it. I think it will be a long time before it comes to WDW.

wendysmom

I always saw TSI as a place to escape all the noise and bustle of the parks. And we explained who Tom Sawyer was to our daughter...she even read the book later due to curiousity because of the island. (who was Injun Joe, and why did he have a cave?!) At one time there was a place that had actual Lincoln Logs where Wendy and wendysdad played like he had as a boy. And I loved to eat at Aunt Polly's...relaxing and watching the ducks. Then, it was never open so we kind of quit going across.:brick: I love Pirates and the changes to POTC, but there's something to be said about a simpler kind of fun. Or maybe I'm just out of step with the future!:lookaroun

MM Princess

Are you really comparing TSI to Sleeping Beauty or CInderella Castle. The castles are known world over as the icons for Disney. No one ( I don't think) says they can't wait to get to DL or WDW to go see Tom Sawyer Island.

I do. My whole family does. That is one of my familys favorite things to do at the park. Please do not speak for everyone if you don't know what everyone believes.

jimmyritt33

I say TSI would be a perfect place for the Harry Potter dark ride.(Note: sarcasm) In all seriousness I need to see what comes of DLand's version before I can pass judgement. But initially I say keep it TSI, it's the one place you can escape from the crowds and kick back a little.

the-reason14

While I'm not a big, big fan of TSI, I do enjoy to go to it, whenver time allows on lengthy trips, so I'm not to thrilled about this announcement of getting rid of it. I may not care if they did, but I may so, I'm really not sure what to think at this point, I guess only time will tell.

LAdies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Tomorrow, I will be on my way to the most magical place on earth for a short but fun trip. (Holla at cha boi, Yea me, and all that jazz.:cool: :sohappy: )

basas

A TERRIBLE idea in my opinion.

First off, Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn are classic American figures (as well as a classic DL/MK attraction) based off a classic American novel. I don't care how many kids today know about them (which, from what I've personally seen, many of them actually DO associate with them), Jack Sparrow is NOT a sufficient replacement for them.

POTC has nothing to do with the American frontier, or colonial America. Why would a old-time steamboat be sailing around a tropical island? Are there tropical islands in Missouri, or along the Mississippi River? Were tropical pirate-filled islands common in the American frontier? I don't think so...

There is only so much that can be done with pirates...and what happens when the movie-hype dies down? Frontierland and Liberty Square are both lands dedicated to celebrating American history and heritage, and TSI also acts as a great, quiet, out of the way place to rest in the middle of the day. To see it go away would be very, very sad.

Besides, according to the article, this idea mostly came from Burbank executives who really don't care about theme or story, but rather promoting the latest film and making a quick buck. Perhaps they could 'kind-of' pull it off (i really wouldn't like it though) at DL with NoS, and POTC being right across the river from the island, and a pirate ship (Columbia) sailing around (and their fort also being closed), but this better not happen at MK...

AEfx

Awesome! That would really be impressive. They could really go all out and "Pirate Island" would be even something I'd go to as an adult without kiddos.

Tom Sawyer's Island is nice and quaint and all, and I'm sure many people have fond memories of it as a child. It's really not much, though, and if they really do it up I think this could be one heck of a refurb if it comes to pass. I think it would be much more than just a retheme, but an entirely new attraction.

Here's hoping it happens at DL, and gets ported over to WDW.

AEfx

SGT623

i see what you mean Kalikala, the appeal of TSI to me at the moment is the fact that it is quiet,and a place next to POTC in adventure land would be cool but i think that if it is called pirate island then it should be an island,to me it adds a small sense of realism to it.
i really like your idea of being able to dig for "treasure",but i think ellaborate that,make going to the island an adventure.
ok here's my idea.
the rafts could be rethemed to look like small pirate ships or make them bigger with a bigger guest carrying number say make it the same size as the boats that take you from the port orleans resort to DD.
once the raft/boat docks at pirate island there could be a CM stood there telling you old tales of piracy this is how we find out about the hidden stuff.
hidden all over the island could be things that have something to do with these stories,things like blackbeards hat and sword stood in the ground somewhere on the island or small pieces of the cursed aztec gold could be scattered all over the island and you have the task of finding how many there are,(obviously these would be embedded in stuff like sand, the pavement, rocks and other things and will not be able to be picked up),just little things like that for the kids to find and see.and then have something along the same lines as the boneyard at AK in donoland usa, but instead of bones it could be things like chests and gold.
on one side of the main island there could be the black pearl moored to the island and a small roped plankway from the middle desk and the beach.and it could be fully recreated (obviously it would be downscaled a bit so as to allow the liberty belle to pass by it).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a "Pirate Island" was already being developed for the old Treasure Island/Discovery Island location in WDW as we speak.

I like the Pirate theme for DL on Tom Saywer but not in Frontierland in WDW

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom