Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island to close (will WDW's follow suit?)

Slowjack

Keep up with society? Are you serious?

Are you really comparing TSI to Sleeping Beauty or CInderella Castle. The castles are known world over as the icons for Disney. No one ( I don't think) says they can't wait to get to DL or WDW to go see Tom Sawyer Island.

Yes the parks have to keep evolving to keep up with society today and that is part of the challenge to Disney. Tom Sawyer Island is no longer relevant.
Yeah, I want to make sure all the theme park experiences I have are relevant. You sound like that advertisement for Universal, where the kid says if she has to hug another princess she's going to "hurl."--ah, what fun. Universal, thrill rides for today's family!

Look, come on, the point of the MK is to transport guests to other times and places. Tom Sawyer not popular today? Guess what--it wasn't in the 70s, either. Furthermore, children have never been interested in Victorian small-town America (and yet enjoy Main Street USA), etc. Heck, even Mickey Mouse himself isn't the icon he once was--kids used to see him all the time in shorts before Saturday movies. A ride or area or theme doesn't have to be based on something a child already knows to be fascinating and fun! If that weren't the case, how would any child every get interesting in anything? Direct brain implants?

Now, one can argue that Tom Sawyer Island isn't popular enough any more. I would agree that if something isn't going to be used, Disney should come up with something new in its place. But don't say that the MK needs to "keep up with society today." That's the last thing it should do.

lewisc

Do kids even read Tom Sawyer any more?

Didn't DL re-theme the Swiss Family Treehouse as Tarzan? Sounds about the same.

WDW has room to add new attractions, in 4 parks. DL doesn't seem to have land for expansion. Re-theming existing attractions may be a good way to add new attractions.

cloudboy

Do kids even read Tom Sawyer any more?

Probably not. But what difference does that make? The real thing about Tom Sawyer's Island is that it puts you into that environment of the old-time south. I just have questions on how well a pirate's theme would fit in that area. Really the two are not very close in style. Yes, Pirates is in New Orleans Square, but even then I wondered what Pirates had to do with Nwe Orleans anyway?

I think they should redo it, but I don't think the Pirates theme is the way to go.

Tomorrow'sChild

I think I went on Tom Sawyer Island once the first time I went to Disney when I was little, in the early 80s. Never went on it again, ever. Didn't really care for it. But making it a pirates theme is just a waste. I agree, they already have a pirates themed ride. How bout if Disney does something they haven't done in a long time, be "original." Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, Carousel, etc., none of these were based on movies. They were original concepts created for the park. Now every ride is based on a movie. Come on man, go back to the old school and do something original. Maybe it's just me.

HappyHaunts999

I haven't been to Tom Sawyer Island in probably 20 years. I do like to watch the people go by on the rafts while I am in line for Haunted Mansion. Gives you something to look at.

I wouldn't really mind them retheming Tom Sawyer's Island...I've never even been, to tell you the truth. But pirates? I love Pirates of the Caribbean as much as the next person, but honestly, isn't enough enough?

Cynderella

I would be soooo p*$$$$$$ed if they change TSI. Haven't they ruined enough classic attractions?? :fork:

Oh yeah and I only mean the one in WDW. I've never been to DL so I can't comment on that one :D

lewisc

Your post makes some sense. Disney is looking to match attractions with movies. Swiss Family Treehouse became Tarzan's Treehouse. Pirate's is probably the best option that Disney is willing to go with. You can't sell souvenirs for some generic island that's themed after the old south nor will that type of attraction sell DVDs.

I'm not sure if my post is cynical or just realistic. The choice is TS or Pirate's.

I don't think Disney would have renovated the Living Seas without the Nemo theming.

Probably not. But what difference does that make? The real thing about Tom Sawyer's Island is that it puts you into that environment of the old-time south. I just have questions on how well a pirate's theme would fit in that area. Really the two are not very close in style. Yes, Pirates is in New Orleans Square, but even then I wondered what Pirates had to do with Nwe Orleans anyway?

I think they should redo it, but I don't think the Pirates theme is the way to go.

Empress Room

I How bout if Disney does something they haven't done in a long time, be "original." Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, Carousel, etc., none of these were based on movies. They were original concepts created for the park. Now every ride is based on a movie. Come on man, go back to the old school and do something original. Maybe it's just me.

I must have missed "Expedition Everest: The Movie." Was it in the theatres very long?

Seriously, this discussion rehashes the same tired arguments for which no definitive answer exists: it's modern relevancy versus timeless classics. No one will ever be satisfied if he or she feels strongly one way or the other.

IMHO, Disney should and will modify, re-imagineer or rehab attractions and places in all of its theme parks where guest reactions or guest attendance are low. Disney will not waste the time and resources on attractions that are still popular with its guests. Having said that, if Disney decides to re-theme TSI in either or both of the Florida or California MKs, it will do so because the current attractions are not compelling enough with guests and are not pulling their weight attracting people into the parks. It's really that simple. And knowing Disney, more often than not, the changes will be accomplished in a classy, first-rate manner after much study and research.

mrtoad

TSI is not so hot anyway to be honest. Putting Pirates there seems a little odd as it will face the wrong area of the park though. If they can build something in that huge piece of land that will pull people over though, I say go for it.

Tomorrow'sChild

I must have missed "Expedition Everest: The Movie."

No, you didn't miss the movie buddy. Surprisingly enough, that was an "original" concept, as was Mission Space and Soarin. There you have 3 great rides created from something original. And that's my point, put something original in that spot and not another pirate themed attraction. That's a huge spot, something really cool can be done there. I'm not saying to keep the classic, to hell with it, I always thought it was crap. But give me something fresh and new.

CoffeeJedi

Surprisingly enough, that was an "original" concept, as was Mission Space and Soarin.
/shuffles feet
Ummm, actually, Mission:Space was originally based on Disney's 2000 flop "Mission to Mars" starring Gary Sinese (playing the same character, albeit unnamed, in the pre-show), which in turn took its name from the old attraction from Tomorrowland.

I think this just goes to show that Disney constantly cannibalizes its own concepts for movies or attractions. In both of these cases, its: Classic Attraction -> Movie -> New Attraction.

Honestly, not being a "Disneylander" i don't have a strong opinion of their TSI, i vaguely remember it from my one DL visit. If the CA public is up for it, let them do what they want, as long as the gorgeous theming on that side of the park is preserved. They'll have to downplay the PotC theming on the Frontierland side of the island, you don't want to be walking down a wooden sidewalk under a clapboard roof, and see palm trees and sand. :)

I really really hope that MK's TSI stays though. I loved playing there as a kid, and i still enjoy the area. Unfortunately I actually could see them trying to make PotC work with Liberty square. While the movies were set vaguely in the 1600's, the age of piracy lasted into the 1700's, and pirates were known to sail pretty far north up the east coast. Maybe Disney should do a new full-feature animated adaptation of of Tom Sawyer and tweak some of Mark Twain's settings to match up to the island, that should keep accountanteering and marketeering happy.

CaptainMichael

Yes, Pirates is in New Orleans Square, but even then I wondered what Pirates had to do with Nwe Orleans anyway?

A Bunch! Heck, Jean Lafitte had a "blacksmith shop" in the French Quarter. He even helped America fight the British in the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812. New Orleans was a great hideout for pirates.:wave:

RIPHorizons

Are you really comparing TSI to Sleeping Beauty or CInderella Castle. The castles are known world over as the icons for Disney. No one ( I don't think) says they can't wait to get to DL or WDW to go see Tom Sawyer Island.

Yes the parks have to keep evolving to keep up with society today and that is part of the challenge to Disney. Tom Sawyer Island is no longer relevant.

Yea lets burn the books... they are no longer relevant

MicBat

I'm all for a redo of the island... Just not into a Pirates theme. Disney is going a bit far with princesses and pirates. I'm sick of them both.

I think they should build a ride out there. I mean, DLP's Thunder Mountain is on their frontierland island, I'm sure something big could be put out there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom