Disneyland vs. Disney World

rricks26

Original Poster
So idk if this has been brought up on these forums before but, I think it's an interesting discussion. It seems people have strong feelings for which park is better than the other. From personal experience, I have known people that are deeply passionate about Disneyland but, want to practically vomit in their mouths anytime they have stepped on fl property. Constantly complaining about every little thing in Disneyworld saying how much better everything is done in California. Some have this superiority complex about Disneyland saying it's Walts park and Disney World isn't. One particular person I know practically blew up when they saw the Walt and Mickey shirts of them on Main Street being sold in Mk and, blew up again when they saw Walt at the end of Magic Memories and You because he said that about Disneyland not Disney World. I've heard some people say all Disney World is is a watered down run down Disneyland.

Another thing I've heard from guests is that Disney World is so vast compared to Disneyland there is no comparison. Again, I've seen people with a superiority complex over Disney world as well.

Having never gone to Disneyland but being a cm in Orlando, I don't see why there's so much bitterness between the two parks. Its all Disney. Has anyone seen such passionate reactions from people? Also, what is your opinion on the subject?

Disney Fan Dan

We've been annual passholders at WDW for about 10 years, so our family frequents the parks several times a year. We did, however, have the opportunity to fly out to Anaheim last summer and do disneyland and DCA for the first time. It's very nice knowing this was were it all started and the nostalgia was intense, lol. Disneyland is in my opinion alot better done than the magic kingdom. The park is a little more compact to squeeze more rides in. Pirates of the Caribbean is amazing out there! Moments With Mr. Lincoln is always alot better than Hall of Presidents. DCA was not my favorite as it didn't give me that Disney feeling. We also got to stay in the Disneyland Hotel and that was very nice. I'd have to say I like the disneyland park better than the Magic Kingdom but its hard to compete when you throw in Epcot, the Studios, and Animal Kingdom.

Californian Elitist

For now, I'm just going to say this...

Disneyland fans are VERY passionate about their park, and get easily offended over things, such as your friend became offended over the Walt Disney presence in MK. Your friend probably thought to himself, "Disneyland is Walt's park, what the heck is Magic Kingdom doing, etc.." DL is very unique amongst the other Disney parks, and the fans take A LOT of pride in the fact that it was the only park Walt Disney himself designed, oversaw the construction and visited. There's a lot of pride and almost a snooty attitude towards that fact (Walt Disney built Disneyland and not Disney World, in your face, we're special and you're not...). Many Disneyland fans don't care about the size of WDW, its multiple theme parks and everything else. Many see the fact that Walt Disney built Disneyland as the biggest and baddest trump card over WDW, and it's the best and most superior reason why the DLR beats WDW. Disneyland fans also take a lot of ownership in the park. They think it's theirs and they feel they're entitled and should have a say to some of the decisions made. When you have that kind of passion for a place, well... You end up making remarks like your friend did, as he was clearly offended. That's all I'll say for now, as I should be asleep at this time.

real mad hatter

Wow! Here we go..When two tribes go to war.? Ok,Heres my say,for what it's worth.Been to both.Only time to DL was wayyyyy back in 2001 and loved it.(6000 miles from Scotland ) but WDW first time in 2004 (3000 miles ) I also loved it..So where does my vote go to..Well apart from the travel issue,I love WDW for the variety of four parks,and resort choices.Theres lots more reasons,but at the end of the day,it's an individual thing.What restaurant is your favourite ? What ride is your favourite ? Etc,etc. Bet you there's lots of Florida votes,and lots of Californian votes.:)

MerlinTheGoat

When you get down to it, Walt Disney himself having been involved in something personally isn't really an immensely important reason to use in the debate of WDW vs DL. If one park is better than another, it's just because it's objectively better, not because it was the original or that Walt Disney himself built it and walked around in it. That gives it a nice nostalgic feeling and all, but in the end it's the objective quality that wins out. It's Walt Disney's ideals about quality that are so important, not whether he personally had a hand in building something.

I haven't yet visited Disneyland (planning a trip either this year or next hopefully). But I can say that I grew up with Disney World and have extreme nostalgia for it. A bit later in my life after I'd taken MANY trips to WDW, I visited Disneyland Paris. Mind you this was in the early-mid 90's, when every Disney resort on earth was absolutely fantastic in its own way (all worthy of the Disney name) and had awesome management/maintenance/quality. Despite my nostalgia towards Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Paris blew me away. It didn't matter that it was the newest Disney park at the time or that I had developed this nostalgia towards MK, to me it was better than MK in most ways. That's how it goes, objectivity wins out.

I will say that anyone who hates WDW simply for the fact that it wasn't built by Walt Disney is an idiot. That also goes for someone that would throw a temper tantrum if they saw references to Walt in a park other than Disneyland. If that seems harsh, I really couldn't care less because that is an incredibly ignorant reason to base an opinion on. It is by no means ignorant to have legit and objective preferences of parks, it's simply that hating another park for THAT particular reason is foolish. From everything i've seen and read, there are more than enough legit reasons that someone might prefer Disneyland over Magic Kingdom. That is, when you're looking at something objectively like which ride has better or more show scenes, which park has better maintenance, etc. Hating a park based solely on it not being the original or nostalgic though is ridiculous.

I'll liken it to Disney animated movies for example. Beauty and the Beast is what I consider objectively to be the best and most perfect animated film the Disney company has ever made. It was of course though made many decades after Walt Disney himself passed away and he had absolutely no part in. But it is simply incredible. One could perhaps argue Fantasia, but not really a comparable type of film IMO. My point though is, would people choose to turn their nose up and hate Beauty and the Beast just because Walt Disney didn't make it and it's a newer film? There are probably some people out there that would do that, damn shame. If we go by their logic, perhaps the Disney company should have ceased creating new things after Walt's death just because he wasn't personally involved.

AndyS2992

For now, I'm just going to say this...

Disneyland fans are VERY passionate about their park, and get easily offended over things, such as your friend became offended over the Walt Disney presence in MK. Your friend probably thought to himself, "Disneyland is Walt's park, what the heck is Magic Kingdom doing, etc.." DL is very unique amongst the other Disney parks, and the fans take A LOT of pride in the fact that it was the only park Walt Disney himself designed, oversaw the construction and visited. There's a lot of pride and almost a snooty attitude towards that fact (Walt Disney built Disneyland and not Disney World, in your face, we're special and you're not...). Many Disneyland fans don't care about the size of WDW, its multiple theme parks and everything else. Many see the fact that Walt Disney built Disneyland as the biggest and baddest trump card over WDW, and it's the best and most superior reason why the DLR beats WDW. Disneyland fans also take a lot of ownership in the park. They think it's theirs and they feel they're entitled and should have a say to some of the decisions made. When you have that kind of passion for a place, well... You end up making remarks like your friend did, as he was clearly offended. That's all I'll say for now, as I should be asleep at this time.

But Walt's brother and life long business partner Roy Disney over saw construction and visited Magic Kingdom so people should really take that into account as he was equally important as Walt. Then again Walt did partially design the Magic Kingdom and visited the land where it would be built many times whilest he was buying up all the land for Epcot.

madtea_party

I love DL, but it usually tends to be two days on my California vacation. I love that when I go to WDW, it is a WDW vacation and when I enter the resort, I don't leave the magic until checkout time. Both are great. I do understand how people can like DL over WDW, however, like others have said, when you add in the 4 parks, 2 water parks and everything else, WDW just trumps DL.

I do get the whole nostalgia feel in DL though, knowing that I'm walking in Walt's footsteps and seeing the light in the window of the firehouse always warms my heart :)

princessmommy

I am so glad to hear everyone's opinion. I am thinking of heading to Disneyland this time next year instead of our annual wdw trip. I am a little worried about it since we love wdw sooooooooo much, bit I am to take the plunge...

zurgandfriend

My family and I have been to WDW multiple times, I am the only one however that ever visited DL, once in 1957 and once in 1975. We are currently discussing a 2014 visit to DL and I really want to go to see how it has been updated and improved.

Californian Elitist

But Walt's brother and life long business partner Roy Disney over saw construction and visited Magic Kingdom so people should really take that into account as he was equally important as Walt. Then again Walt did partially design the Magic Kingdom and visited the land where it would be built many times whilest he was buying up all the land for Epcot.

Firstly I just want to say, as a Disneyland fan, I'm not offended that way, at all.

That's not enough. People love Walt Disney, not Roy Disney. Walking on the land is not the same as designing the park, living in the park, driving the train and other modes of transportation through the park, living for eleven years of the park's existence... You see what I'm saying? It's just not the same and it really can't be compared, many DL fans believe. That special Walt connection just isn't there when they're at WDW.

littleroo

Wow! Here we go..When two tribes go to war.? Ok,Heres my say,for what it's worth.Been to both.Only time to DL was wayyyyy back in 2001 and loved it.(6000 miles from Scotland ) but WDW first time in 2004 (3000 miles ) I also loved it..So where does my vote go to..Well apart from the travel issue,I love WDW for the variety of four parks,and resort choices.Theres lots more reasons,but at the end of the day,it's an individual thing.What restaurant is your favourite ? What ride is your favourite ? Etc,etc. Bet you there's lots of Florida votes,and lots of Californian votes.:)

You sound like our politicians:D

thomas998

I find some of the DL fan arguments to be silly at best... especially the, "it was Walt's park."... When I hear that one I always ask them why they have a cell phone when it clearly isn't Alexander Gram Bells original design or concept of a phone.

The reality is people tend to like what is comfortable to them, if you grew up on WDW you will likely find it more enjoyable, just as many that grew up on DL find it preferable. The humor comes in when the ones that are fans of the inferior product try to smack down the competition, the only reason they do it is that they know deep down they are in love with the ugly sister and feel a need to convince themselves that the other beautiful sister has some faults that justify their preference of the ugly one.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I grew up in SoCal so I have a great love for DL. It holds many happy childhood memories and even when we moved to the East Coast we never went to WDW for vacation we always went "home" to SoCal to visit family and of course there would be a big extended family visit to DL. Disneyland feels like home to me.

My husband grew up on the East Coast and went to WDW every couple of years. He's not a big fan of DL (although part of it is dealing with my extended family when we visit the parks). To him WDW is bigger and better and his home park. His childhood memories are there.

I visited WDW for the first time with my boyfriend (now husband) when we were in our early 20s and we have taken many trips since. Now we have been with our kids and planning a second trip with our kids. Each coast has special things to offer.

DL has a charm I don't find in WDW parks. Liberty Square can't compare to New Orleans Square for theme and style for me. The parks are easy to hop back and forth, everything is nice and close. They have the better Space Mountain, POTC and IASW. I also thing they have better a better parades, Fantasmic, Fireworks since the 50th.

WDW is huge I was amazed the first time I went. It has a lot of non theme park thing to offer to enhance your trip. I love WS and AK. The choices for food are much better (but part of that is being bigger). I like the TOT better in DHS. When the elevator moved forward it was the biggest surprise I have ever had on a ride - Awesome!

Most of the ride that are "copies" really aren't copies they have enough differences to make them really fun for someone who is used to both coasts. I love both HM! They have some fun differences.

Both coasts have a lot to offer and I enjoy the differences. There is a great fun in discovering and enjoying the differences to me. I hate the direct copy rides/shows in general. Soarin' in Epcot greatly disappointed me when it opened and I haven't been on since in WDW it's an exact copy - boring! Between that and the insane lines in Epcot. I'll just wait until my next trip to DL. I would love if they built "copy" rides they gave them each some kind of slight twist or difference.

Californian Elitist

I don't see why that is relevant o_O I am actually quite shocked at this whole 'Walt walked there' snobbishnous that people think makes Disneyland better than WDW. They equally both have their strong and weak points.

Yeah, well that's the attitude amongst some DL fans. That's just how it is. There's a lot of pride in that fact. If you grew up going to Disneyland, you'd probably understand more, but I can see why you're confused.

AllyInWonderland

I've never been to Disneyland before, but from what I've seen from videos, the characters seem better. I like how they just walk around the park, hanging out with other characters instead of standing in one place for pictures and autographs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom