Disneyland Trip Planner

chargermom

Original Poster
My family has been to WDW several times - but we are going to DisneyLand this fall. I have the following questions:

1. Are there real benefits to staying in one of the disney hotels? We always stay inside WDW and there are real benefits. Are there free shuttles from the good neighbor hotels?

We will be traveling with little ones.

2. How many days do we need in the two parks to get a good vacation?

nybound

1. The only benefit for staying "on-site" is that you get unlimited early entry into the parks (versus the one you get with the multi-day passes).

In several cases, the off-site hotels are closer to the main entrance than any of the three Disney hotels. Most hotels that are not within walking distance offer some sort of transportation.

2. You can get it all done in three days. Any more, and you'll be repeating your favorites and then some (not a bad thing). The nice thing is that DCA opens later than Disneyland. We normally go to Disneyland early in the morning, ride our favorites, then head over to DCA.

Have a great time!

primetime52

My family has been to WDW several times - but we are going to DisneyLand this fall. I have the following questions:

1. Are there real benefits to staying in one of the disney hotels? We always stay inside WDW and there are real benefits. Are there free shuttles from the good neighbor hotels?

1. If you find a good neighbor hotel in walking distance, that will virtually eliminate the benefits of staying on site. The only on site hotel that seems truly special is the Grand Californian. The other two don't seem heavily themed at all. Everything in DLR is smaller and closer together than at WDW, so staying on site certainly isn't a must.

2. You can do it all in 3 days. I'm going back in November and will definitely need 3 days since I will be fighting Veterans Day crowds. I went during a very quiet week last year, and finished pretty much everything in just 2 days, since we had virtually no lines for anything. I would definitely recommend 3 days so you won't have to rush anything. You will especially need 3 days if you are going during the weekend.

Disneysue

In the Parks
No

1) The benefit to staying at one of the Disney hotels is the close proximity to the enterance and Monorail. If you're staying at say Paradise Pier (the farthest walk to the enterance which is really only a very slow EXHAUSED AT THE END OF THE DAY 20 minute walk) you can walk to the Monorail which is MUCH CLOSER and ride that into the park. Same goes for Disneyland Hotel. The monorail stops right outside of the Disneyland Hotel. NONE of the Good neighbor hotels have a free shuttle. They have all collectively given into a Anaheim Resort Bus system that you have to pay (not too much but it is still very irritating) to use. Some of them may seem close but at the end of a long park day with 2 little ones in tow, they may be farther than you think.

As far as the theming goes, the Disneyland Hotel has an AWESOME POOL! The Neverland Pool is amazing! The rooms at Paradise Pier are EXACTLY like The Beach Club (I've stayed in both).

2) Yes you can "Get it done" in 3 days, but it's not very relaxing and you will be rushing around. If you have not been there either at all or very little, I would recommend going for 4 days (NOT over a weekend) or even push it to 5 so you can go at a very relaxed pace and maybe take in a Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament or a Pirate Dinner Show in neighboring Buena Park.

This advice comes from someone who has gone to Disneyland more times than I can actually count and when I go for a weekend or 3 days, I am POOPED!!!

We stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites in August 2006 for our "girls trip." It was great, not fancy, but fine for the $89 per night price. We had a BR with 2 doubles and a seperate LR with a pull out sofa bed. Our rear window gave us a view of the MK fireworks. It comes with 2 TVs and a mini fridge. I would stay there again. We were going to stay next door - I want to say at the Best Western, but it was booked. The motel (we were on the 4th fl, next to the elevator, but never heard it) is pretty much accross the st from the bus entrance to DL. It would take you longer to walk to the bag check from DLH than from this place. Note I have stayed at all 3 DL hotels and loved it, but when it comes to saving money, this was a fine option.

TP2000

Which good neighbor hotels are within walking distance?

All of them really. Many of the Good Neighbor hotels are closer to the Disneyland gate than the towers of the Disneyland Hotel or the Paradise Pier Hotel.

I always encourage first time visitors to check out Google or Yahoo satellite maps of the Disneyland area first. Type up 1313 S. Harbor Blvd. Anaheim California in Yahoo Maps, and you'll get a good view of the entire property. Or you can put in the address of a certain hotel you are thinking about, and you'll see how close it is compared to the Disney hotels.

Disneyland is very different than WDW. If you've ever been to Tokyo Disney Resort, that is very similar to the Anaheim setup. Or if you've been to Disneyland Paris, that is also similar. Hong Kong Disneyland has been set up to be just like Anaheim or Tokyo with the hotels and such, but they still have 10 years before they get the Downtown Disney and/or second park in the deal.

WDW is an aberration, and shouldn't be used as a point of reference when you are going to visit Anaheim, Tokyo, Paris or Hong Kong. The four Disney resorts set in major metro areas are all set up quite similarly. The one Disney resort in the middle of central Florida is the one place that is set up very differently, so try not to use it as a point of reference for anything else.

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
Which good neighbor hotels are within walking distance?

Carousel Inn and Suites would be the nicest economicly friendly hotel. Rooms have a mini fridge and a microwave, handy for saving a few $$$.
Park Vue Inn is also very close and very cheap. Its clean and serves its purpose but the beds are not too comfy.
Alpine Inn is on Katella and a relatively close walk to the enterance. When you leave the hotel, turn to the Right and walk to the pedestrian opening in the fence and you can take the tram to the loading area. This hotel has been here since the late 50's (I believe)
Anabella Hotel I have not stayed here but it is across the street from the Alpine Inn and newer. I have heard good things and the pictures of the rooms look very nice.

These are the ones that I can recall and that I have stayed at (with the exception of the last one). There are is a krud load more, but a lot of them are farther away than you may think.

bigtotoro

My wife and I are making a California trip next year and are thinking about hitting up DL for two days. I would prefer to stay on-site, but price wise it looks more realistic off site. How is the neighborhood around Disneyland? Should I be concerned about walking about? Also, is it stand procedure for Disneyland to markup heavily on "Good Neighbor" quotes? They quote $642 for 2 nights at the Anabella with a 2 day Park Hopper and 2 day ART Pass for 2 people. Separately those list for $208, $264, and $12. By my math, that's $484. That's a $158 markup!

TP2000

How is the neighborhood around Disneyland? Should I be concerned about walking about?

No, you shouldn't. Anaheim is vastly more safe than Orlando, or any other large city. Here's the official comparison with the latest crime statistics. It's not very flattering for the Orlando metro area.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Orlando&s2=FL

Or, as a comparison to your home town of Houston, there's this similar ranking that also shows how much safer Anaheim is compared to your current urban environment.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Houston&s2=TX

DAKOTADISNEY

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn which is across the street from DL. We loved the hotel and the price was between $89 and $99/night. We walked about a half a block to the street light then we were on Disney property. There were also plenty of people walking back and forth and we always felt safe, even at night.

bigtotoro

No, you shouldn't. Anaheim is vastly more safe than Orlando, or any other large city. Here's the official comparison with the latest crime statistics. It's not very flattering for the Orlando metro area.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Orlando&s2=FL

Or, as a comparison to your home town of Houston, there's this similar ranking that also shows how much safer Anaheim is compared to your current urban environment.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Houston&s2=TX
Right, but I don't go walking around at night in either of those.

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
My wife and I are making a California trip next year and are thinking about hitting up DL for two days. I would prefer to stay on-site, but price wise it looks more realistic off site. How is the neighborhood around Disneyland? Should I be concerned about walking about? Also, is it stand procedure for Disneyland to markup heavily on "Good Neighbor" quotes? They quote $642 for 2 nights at the Anabella with a 2 day Park Hopper and 2 day ART Pass for 2 people. Separately those list for $208, $264, and $12. By my math, that's $484. That's a $158 markup!

Yes it is safe. As with anywhere though, no place is COMPLETELY SAFE. Just be smart about your decisions. I have no problem walking alone at night on any of the streets at DLR, but I stay in well lit, well populated areas.

I've never booked anything directly from Disney. I am a AAA member and I use their Travel services. I have also booked the Good Neighbor hotels directly by visiting their web sites and calling them. If you really would like to stay onsite, try Disney's Paradise Pier. I've stayed there and loved it. The rooms are decorated EXACTLY like The Beach Club Resort at WDW (stayed there in 2007) and if you ask nicely at check in during a value season you can get a room with a view of the parks, like I did :sohappy:.

ScrapIron

Right, but I don't go walking around at night in either of those.
At DL, you'll be surrounded by other tourists. If you leave the park exit and go left, you will pas a tram loading area, and then you'll be at Harbor Blvd with a signaled crosswalk in front of you. Directly across the street is the Park Vue. These hotels tend to be narrow along the street, so 3-4 hotels in either direction is a walk of about 10-15 minutes from the park gate depending on the wait at the crosswalk. All around you are other people walking back and forth, the only safety issue is traffic. Ever since I saw that monorail go to the DLH 40 years ago I though it would be cool to stay there, but I have never been able to justify it when I can get a suite at the Desert Inn for$150 or less.

A bientot

bigtotoro

At DL, you'll be surrounded by other tourists. If you leave the park exit and go left, you will pas a tram loading area, and then you'll be at Harbor Blvd with a signaled crosswalk in front of you. Directly across the street is the Park Vue. These hotels tend to be narrow along the street, so 3-4 hotels in either direction is a walk of about 10-15 minutes from the park gate depending on the wait at the crosswalk. All around you are other people walking back and forth, the only safety issue is traffic. Ever since I saw that monorail go to the DLH 40 years ago I though it would be cool to stay there, but I have never been able to justify it when I can get a suite at the Desert Inn for$150 or less.

A bientot

Bonjour,

Thanks for the advice.

dox

Hi there! I'm a WDW veteran and I just returned from my first DL trip yesterday. I spent 4 nights at the Anabella and 3 full days in the park. As someone said below don't compare WDW to DL two completely different things. First off let me answer your questions.

1. The only benefit I can see is the unlimited early entry, but I don't believe the parks have an early entry every day. Thats something you might want to check. I was there a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. And I think only Sunday and Tuesday there was an early entry. Since it is your first time it might be beneficial, but as nice as the Grand California is, you won't be experiencing the same get away from it all feeling you get at WDW resorts. All the Disney resorts are plopped right next to the roadway and in the case of the Grand California right next to Downtown Disney. As for the local ART transportation, I didn't ride it and from what I could see no one was riding it. People either walked or drove. We did both despite how close we were. My friend had a bad back and the walk was about 15 minutes from the Anabella. The short ride allowed him to avoid exerting himself before arriving at the park.

2. We initially intended to just spend 2 days and see all of DL and then a few things in California Adventure. Well after spending all morning and afternoon at DL we realized that was not possible. First off the fireworks were only being offered Sunday and DL closed at 8 mon and tues. Plus we both knew we could not stay all day in the parks without exhausting ourselves. We also wanted to ride several rides more than once. So we stayed 3 full days and skipped DCA. Now in retrospect I realize we could have dedicated one morning to the few things we wanted to do in DCA, but in exchange I got to soak up the atmosphere at DL. I got to see the parade twice, have great seats for both the parade and fireworks, have lunch at the blue bayou, ride Indy, Pinochio and Nemo twice, and Pirates and Space Mountain 3 times. I think 4 days would be an ideal amount of time if you want to go at a relaxed pace and get to know the park. But I have to say we really explored the park in 3 days and that might be overkill for some. But I can't imagine squeezing all of DCA into those 3 days. We also left the park on Sunday at around 5 and returned at 730. On Monday we also left the park at around 5 so we could shower and have dinner that night at the Napa Rose lounge.

As for the Anabella, we stayed in the concierge level, which means absolutely nothing other than having a supposedly refurbished room. Our whole stay there was very mixed and I can't say we would stay again. The property itself was pretty and we chose it for that reason as we had thought we would have some down time by the pool. The rooms though were quite weird. Small unusable closets, short shower curtains that resulted in flooded bathroom floors, and weird room lay outs. They also attempt to be green by requiring that you place your room key card in a slot in the room that operates the electricity. They ask that when you leave the room you remove it which results in the entire room shutting down. Additionally, they don't change your towels or sheets unless you specifically call down each day and request it. Frankly, it isn't green, they are just being cheap. All hotels nowadays usually ask that you re-use towels by leaving the towels you intend to re-use on the towel rod or shower curtain rod and those you want changed on the floor. To require you to actually ring down each day to have your towels changed is ridiculous. As for the room layouts we stayed in 2 different rooms both concierge level. One room, I forget the name. Had a King bed and then in a small alcove a full bed. The bathroom had one sink in the shower room but then had a wierd area outside the bathroom with lights and a counter. NOt sure what the purpose of that counter was for, but I assume that was once the sink area. The closet was located there too and you could not fit a single suitcase in the closet it was so narrow. On our last night we stayed in a Queen concierge room. This room was smaller L shape with a small living room area and a queen bed (more like a full bed) in a small alcove. However, you could not see the TV from the bed as it faced the living room, but you could see this red light flashing behind the TV all night. The bed also had one nightstand and no phone.

We also had a weird experience with the front desk and manager. Once we decided we wanted to stay an extra night we went down and spoke to the front desk. We were told that the concierge area was full and we could stay an extra night in a regular room. The manager then came out and explained that they were actually over booked on all the concierge rooms and guests arriving that night would not be guaranteed a concierge room. Huh???? How is that professional? But here is the kicker...he told us to come down the next morning and check out from concierge and then get a new "regular" room that they had plenty. So I did just that, but asked the new front desk person if they had anything in concierge. She said yes but not in my room that I would have to move across the parking lot. But here is the kicker not only was I able to get a room in concierge level again despite being told they were oversold the day before, but the room next to me was empty as well as my original room.

I really can't recommend the Anabella given the price unless you really intend to spend some time in the room. There were plenty of other hotels just off the strip that were closer to WDW. One that really looked nice and seemed close was the Candy Cane Inn. If you intend to just shower/sleep and want something clean go elsewhere.

Last thing i"m not sure if you are doing anything else in California other than DL. But we spent time in Napa, San Fran, Carmel and Highway1/Big Sur and saved DL for the last part of the trip. Do not do that! DL is small and everything is very close together but it is still exhausting.

Hope you have fun! I know we did! If you have any questions from a WDW veteran just let me know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom