Disneyland Paris - Just Got Back

njblackberry

Original Poster
We just got back from 3 days at DLRP and 7 in Paris. We loved the parks (or parcs as the signs say). We went there with modest expectations, and they were exceeded. The parks are beautiful, in very good condition, with great attractions. Since we are Grade A Chickens we did not do the new Space Mountain (let the booing begin) but did virtually every attraction in both parks. We even found some very helpful and nice cast members. We particularly liked the Walt Disney Studios - my wife liked Cinemagique so much that we went on it twice. LMA is fantastic (and I got picked to be "in the show") and we just loved that entire park. Even the parade was worthwhile (and Dale gave my wife a kiss - who says the magic isn't there). We had a great time pin trading and met several CMs who were pin traders and told us where people were meeting and when the pin trading boards were. I'm sitting at home (we flew in 3 hours ago) staring at the Park tickets thinking about what a great time we had there.

The downside was the Newport Bay Hotel. What a letdown. Both restaurants and the bar were closed for renovation (AT THE SAME TIME?) and the lobby was torn up. Nice if they would have mentioned that BEFORE we checked in. We spent most of our evenings at the Sequioa Lodge (where we should have stayed). While there is also renovation work going on at the Sequia Lodge (and the Disneyland Hotel), it was not nearly as obvious as at the Newport Bay Hotel. Frankly the Newport Bay was a big disappointment.

Overall we had a great time - and we are looking forward to WDW in September (with our kids). Yup - we were rotten parents. We went to DLRP without our children :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DLP has 6 Disney owned hotels; the official ones. njblackberry; we got back from DLP on Friday, and stayed at the Newport too - maybe we saw you! I learnt about the rehab before we went on another board; the lobby had been open again for a few days when we arrived. Having said that, I thought the handling of the breakfast in the convention was very well done considering 1100 rooms want to eat an unlimited buffet at the same time! Just be glad the Newport wasn`t like the Sequoia or the wings of the Disneyland Hotel - covered in scafholding and tarp - although some parts were, and I have to say the Lake Disney side really needs a big refurb (some things I saw from the balcony were pure bad show, but at least the rehabs begun)

Shame you missed out on SM:M2 - it is awesome!! Yes, it is a rough ride, but the longer launch and new effects work so well.... I was surprised I liked the new music so much too! And I agree 100% the recent rehabs in the parcs made them look stunning.

AndyP

I had a great time on my first trip to DLRP earlier this month. The parks exceeded expectations, most of the classic rides are excellent, some exceeding WDW's. I think PotC was definetely better than the WDW counterpart. Also The Disney Studios has alot there, a great parade (like at the main park) and overall i was impressed. We covered everything.

Outside the parks however isn't a touch on WDW imo, though I still had a great time. We stayed at Kyriad, a DLRP hotel, but not Disney operated. It was really very good for the price! However, when we walked around the Disney hotels we were very shocked to be honest. At the newport, the noise from the current renovations was really very loud (though I realise that its so big it might not have been noticeable inside the rooms, and the lobby was still packed with guests arriving. I believe the dining was held in the convention center). However, that is rennovation, so thats fine improvement, but blimey they have alot of work to do. The pavements around Lake Disney, and esp The Newport have huge pot holes, bollards in the larger ones. They were forming loads of puddles in the rain, and the parts that had been repaired had just been patched. Basically they had gone for 'imitation' block paving over the real thing, which I think was a huge mistake. There was also paint peeling all over the place, but there were signs at the front that they had work in progress on that side. The biggest problem I saw was actually the birds nests! Literally, hundreds and hundreds under the balconies!! One was even above the automatic door sensor, a bird nearly pooed on me!

Don't get me wrong, I thought the hotels were stunning. I just think alot more needs to be done to keep them stunning. It was either my family's keen eye ( my dad and mum noticed the problems as much as I did and they don't spend hours on the internet looking at Disney stuff) or perphaps they don't need to hold themselves to as high of a standard due to typical european visitors, but that might not be true, and I don't see it as an exucse when the hotels are really quite expensive.

The only real other thing that disappointed us on the holiday was the Disney Village. I don't think its quite right for what is a family environment. I know european alcohol laws are more relaxed that the US's, but does King Ludwig's really need a happy hour? Does the arcade need to be so big and badly themed, I mean you can walk right into it from the Disney store, we were shocked. It seemed more like Citywalk, but to be quite honest I feel Citywalk is more tastfully done, and still feels like a resort area, but The Disney Village didn't feel as 'safe' to me. (I'm not complaining about the security, any security is ok by me). I think the problem here is the railway station itself, all of the local youths come to the village, and I think the village has been then aimed at them to make money. We were at the bus stop on our first night and there was a fight, it was actually quite scary. One guy came running over after it started to help his mate, he had a bottle of wine in one hand and ran into my dad on the way over. I just thought '10 guards at the Disney Village entrance, they should at least have SOME presence here.' The police and Disney security arrived 5 minutes ish after it was all finished, but they didn't stop till they caught them because when we finally got our bus we saw the same police drive past us with his lights going, and then we passed him after they stopped one of the fighters, we thought that was quite good.

This post probably sounds negative, but we really did have a GREAT time, I spent my 18th birthday in The Walt Disney Studios, followed by the Rainforest Cafe. I would definetely go back, but there are currently some flaws that I feel need rectifying, but it could just be because I'm holding it to the standard of WDW.

AndyP

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hopefully the Village will get the attention (promised (!) rehab and retheme it deserves soon) - Eisner was given the choice of what was built, or a New Orleans themed environment, to compliment the adjacent that was never built. WDI chose Orleans, Eisner picked the result. It`s not bad, it could just be a lot better.

Unfortunatley, the rail station, bus station and open space between this and the gates/security checks is public space - out of Disneys jurisdiction. Just look at the cheap tat on sale for proof...

AndyP

marni1971 said:
Unfortunatley, the rail station, bus station and open space between this and the gates/security checks is public space - out of Disneys jurisdiction. Just look at the cheap tat on sale for proof...

I know, i missed that bit out. Its a real shame they have those sellers there. If only the French would let Disney take over the running of the area, maybe they could make it nicer. Not only were the sellers there, but LOADS of French police, i mean like 30 of them one time, stopping and searching youths. I'm not saying its a bad thing, but they MUST have had trouble in the past for that sort of presence, and it kind of makes you feel a bit 'edgy.' :lookaroun

Kirsten

Sequoia Lodge Renovations

Hiya,

This is the first time i've posted. I have just booked to go to DLP on the august bank holiday and AFTER i booked saw the the Sequoia has got renovations. As you've been there what are they doing? i'm worried that it's gonna be a nightmare and nothing will be open or working? :cry:

We've stayed at the Sequoia and Newport before and hated the newport. It wasn't in the best of condition and the atmospehere just wasn't 'Disney'.

You help on the Lodge would be greatly appreciated!

Kirsten:)

AndyP

Kirsten said:
Hiya,

This is the first time i've posted. I have just booked to go to DLP on the august bank holiday and AFTER i booked saw the the Sequoia has got renovations. As you've been there what are they doing? i'm worried that it's gonna be a nightmare and nothing will be open or working? :cry:

We've stayed at the Sequoia and Newport before and hated the newport. It wasn't in the best of condition and the atmospehere just wasn't 'Disney'.

You help on the Lodge would be greatly appreciated!

Kirsten:)

We didn't actually go in so I can't comment on what is operating. When we were there 30th June to 4th July, the whole back of the lodge facing th lake had scaffolding up, reapainting I guess. I've no idea what the state will be now. Anyone who has been more recently might know, or perphaps on a specific DLRP fans website, or ring Disney!!

And Welcome to the boards!! :sohappy: :sohappy:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Welcome!!

As of last week (Monday 18th) the whole front of the main block was covered in scaffholding and `tarp`, but by the time we left on Friday the `tarp` was gone so it looks like the scaffholding my be coming down too.

Thanks for all the info on DP. What we would like to do is stay in one of the DP hotels, go to DP and then use the hotel to stay in and tour Paris. (Eiffel Tower, Louvre) We were in Paris once before, but just for a day and would like to return. Has anyone done this sort of trip? Also, how does DP compare in size to WDW Orlando?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We were going to spend a day in Paris but due to a 7 hour flight delay going out decided to scrap it. The RER (metro) station is right outside the parks gates, which in turn are in easy walking distance of all the Disney hotels. It takes about 30-45 minutes I believe to Paris.

Compared to WDW, the whole resort is smaller - 4,800 acres compared to 30,000+ (give or take). However, you can walk (or get a free bus) from the hotels to the parks as I said above. The village complex is between the hotels and parks. The studios are smaller than MGM is today; more like when MGM first opened. Just. Disneyland Parc, however, is the opposite. It is HUGE. A lot bigger than WDWs MK, as are a lot of the attractions. Speaking of which, a lot of the E Rides leave Orlandos standing; they were designed from the ground up to be the best possible. Take Pirates of the Caribbean - a Blue Lagoon restaurant inside, more fx than The Haunted Mansion, and 3 drops!

CAPTAIN HOOK

marni1971 said:
We were going to spend a day in Paris but due to a 7 hour flight delay going out decided to scrap it.
Geeze - what a wasted day (French air traffic controllers ?) You could have driven there faster - if only you'd known

njblackberry - thanks for the report

njblackberry

Original Poster
Jumping in back here - I have to agree with the comments about the Disney Village. It seemed odd to us that they checked our bags and packages going into the Village, but not into the Parks! There must have been some trouble. And since we walked to and from the NBC (shudders thinking about it), it was a bit of a pain.

Yes, the Lake Disney area in general needs a LOT of work. But at least the hotels are getting some needed refurbs. And the Disneyland Hotel also had scaffolding up when we were there.

And the pins we picked up have great trading value back here!

I forgot to add that after we went to Paris, we took the RER to DLRP (45 minutes - trains were crowded) to pick up new pins that had just been released. Back to Paris in time for a nice late dinner.

We had such a nice time.....

Only 4 weeks to WDW - and staying at the Beach Club Villas - what Newport Bay would like to be :(

penfold12

I have read twice on here today that DLP is on 4800 acres. Is this all the land, or just the land within the circular ring? I just seem to remember early artwork and advertising around 1991/92 that showed a projected EPCOT style park aswell as MGM Europe. I was pretty sure that the land that was optioned was roughly the same as WDW 30,000 acres? Was this just wishful thinking on my part? he he

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom