Disneyland Paris 2015 Trip Report

dagobert

Original Poster
I haven't posted here for quite some time, but since we returned from DLP recently, I'm going to share my trip report with you.

First of all, it was our seventh trip to DLP and like always we had a wonderful time there. It was for the first time that we visited during Halloween Season. I'm not that much into Halloween, so I didn't care that much about it, but the Halloween decorations on Main Street and in Frontierland looked great.

We didn't stay in a Disney hotel, because we got an Annual Pass and staying off site turns out to be cheaper for us. Like in recent years we stayed at the Relais Spa Chessy in Val D'Europe. The hotel is only one station away from DLP on the RER line. However we didn't have to use the train, because the hotel offered a free shuttle service to the parks.

Until now we have been seven times to DLP, twice to WDW and once we did a Disney Cruise. While the Disney Cruise is unmatched, I have to say that I like DLP better than WDW. I know WDW is bigger and has more to offer, but the size is also its biggest problem. I like that everything is in walking distance at DLP and that we don't have to rely on the Disney transport system. I also like that there aren't any scooters and far less strollers. Of course I know that many people need a scooter, and I'm totally fine with that, but I just prefer the parks without them. So please don't be offended by that sentence, it's just that DLP is far easier to navigate without the many stroller and scooters.

What I also prefer about DLP over WDW's MK is its beauty. You just have to compare DLP's Main Street with the one in Orlando. The moment you step on Main Street you realize how beautiful that park is and thanks to its younger age, the attractions are also more modern and so they are better too. For example, MK's Space Mountain is such a boring attraction compared to the Space Mountain in Paris. Traveling into space should be eíntense and thrilling. DLP is also home to some other great attractions like POTC or BTMRR. Most of them are superior compared to WDW, but as I mentioned before that's mostly due to their age. The only attractions being better at WDW are HM/PM, because of the new effects, but I still like the overall ride experience better in Paris, especially the ending, and Star Tours. DLP still has the original version, but will be upgraded next year. BTMRR is just better because of its location on an island.

DLP's POTC doesn't feature Jack Sparrow, but unfortunately that's also going to change next year. In addition to the lack of Jack, it's also better in terms of the story. It's more logical.

Earlier this year we could experience the New Fantasyland and even with this new area, MK's Fantasyland is still not as beautiful as DLP's. And DLP's Fantasyland got the dragon beneath the castle. That's a real jewel!

I've never thought I would say that, but WDSP is currently more enjoyable than DHS. DHS is a lot more beautiful and far better themed, but there's more to do in the studios in Paris than in Orlando. But that will change in a few years again. Ratatouille was the only new attraction since our last visit. What a great ride. It's a wonderful 3D video screen dark ride, but it's so much more entertaining than Universal's Transformers. Maybe I got that impression, because I don't like the Transformers franchise at all, while Ratatouille is among my favourite Pixar movies. It's a great addition to WDSP and a lovely area in a not so beautiful park. What shouldn't be missed either is Cinemagique. In my opinion that's one of Disney's best shows. The ToT is a copy of DCA's version and I prefer it over WDW's, but only because of the cool mirror effect. However the setting in Florida is much better than in Paris. Rock'n'Roller Coaster is identical to WDW, but the theming is different. I like both rides, while I lean a little bit more towards Florida's version. WDSP has some unique rides like Crush's Coaster or Cars Race Rally. Both attraction are a lot of fun, especially Crush. The Cars ride looks like a kiddy ride and it is, but the vehicles turn very fast when adults ride. TSPL is not my favourite area at DLP, but in real life it looks better than on pictures and RC Racer is actually very thrilling and a lot of fun.

We all know that DLP isn't as good as the US parks when it comes to maintenance, but honestly it's not that bad as many fans claim it to be. There's still a lot of work to do, but the parks approved a lot in recent years and aren't so far behind WDW.

My wife is vegan and I'm a vegetarian and DLP is far from WDW's level when it comes to catering vegetarians. WDW even offers vegan burgers and other vegan options, while at DLP you only get salads, pasta and fries. The only good option for us was the Agrabah Cafe. And like in recent years, we ate there twice. And like always the oriental inspired food was very good.

On several Disney boards fans complain about the smoking and guest behaviour. Honestly I didn't notice any differences in terms of guest behaviour between WDW and DLP in all of our trips. It's true, smoking is a problem, but I don't care as long as it's happening outside and not in queues and buildings. I'm not a smoker, but I guess different cultures, different views on certain things. However DLP also introdcued smoking areas and CMs are advising guests to use them. It's nice to see that more and more people do so. In my opinion smoking in the park areas declined.

While we really enjoyed WDW a lot in January, as I mentioned before, I still like DLP better. It's far from being perfect, but I focus on the positive things instead of the negative ones. We had a wonderful time last week at DLP and can't wait to return next year, but before that, we will visit Disneyland in California next spring.

So if you are interested in a trip report with pictures, just follow the links.

Day 1
http://reisewarnung.blogspot.com/2015/10/disneyland-paris-2015-part-1.html

Day 2
http://reisewarnung.blogspot.com/2015/10/disneyland-paris-2015-part-2.html

Day 3
http://reisewarnung.blogspot.com/2015/10/disneyland-paris-2015-part-3.html

Day 4
http://reisewarnung.blogspot.com/2015/10/disneyland-paris-2015-part-4.html

Day 5
http://reisewarnung.blogspot.com/2015/10/disneyland-paris-2015-part-5.html

Thanks for reading and I hope you like the pictures!

Stevie Amsterdam

Hi Dagobert, really liked the trip report! It's nice to get some positive feedback on the European park ;-) I'm going to DLP to celebrate my birthday next week so this gets me in the mood! I've looked through most of your pictures but didn't see much scaffolding or green fences. A few blogs that I follow post daily photo updates and almost every day there's something new in scaffolding. Could you share with me your take on that? Was it distracting from the beauty of the park?

dagobert

Original Poster
Hi Dagobert, really liked the trip report! It's nice to get some positive feedback on the European park ;-) I'm going to DLP to celebrate my birthday next week so this gets me in the mood! I've looked through most of your pictures but didn't see much scaffolding or green fences. A few blogs that I follow post daily photo updates and almost every day there's something new in scaffolding. Could you share with me your take on that? Was it distracting from the beauty of the park?

Hi Stevie,

thank you very much!

Since we have been to DLP so many times, we don't care that much about scaffolding or closed attractions. DLP is currently getting ready for its 25th Anniversary and unfortunately there are some green fences up.

Main Street Station was covered, but the rest of the street was fine. Plaza Gardens was also behind green fences, but I think it reopened this week.

In Frontierland there are some works going on on the buildings, but that wasn't so noticeable. Only Fuente del Oro was really noticeable. Attractionwise Thunder Mesa Riverboat Landing was behind green fences. I'm sorry to say that, but I think BTMRR will soon close for a whole year, because they are improving the ride and cleaning the river.

In Adventureland some minor works were going on, like fresh paint or cleaning some little rivers running through the land. A walkway to Fantasyland was behind green fences, because of ground works. Adventureland will get a new floor, you can already see it in front of the Agrabah Cafe.

Fantasyland was fence free, except for IASW, which is currently under refurb.

Discoveryland was also fence free, but the Star Tours building was behind scaffolding, while the ride itself was open.

In Fantasia Gardens, the area in front of the Disneyland Hotel, is partly behind a green fence, because of getting a new floor. Most parts are already done and the new floor looks great.

In WDSP the fountain in Front Lot was behind a green fence and so was the place in front of Cinemagique, because they removed the stage there. In TSPL Slinky Dog was behind a green fence.

At the moment I can't think of more, except for the Newport Bay Club Hotel and some areas around Lake Disney.

I hope that helps. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time. Just focus on the positive things and not on the negative ones. I love DLP, but I know it's not perfect.

Last edited:

Stevie Amsterdam

Thanks! I'm sure we'll have a blast, it's my 4th time so I'm quite familiar with the parks, but I'm bringing my spouse for the very first time and he has only seen WDW. But like you stated in your original post, WDW and DLP are two parks with lots of differences - the aestetic of DLP being the most significant.

Ps did you know that DLP has to complete a third gate before 2030? If not, they have to give back some of the land to the French government!

dagobert

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm sure we'll have a blast, it's my 4th time so I'm quite familiar with the parks, but I'm bringing my spouse for the very first time and he has only seen WDW. But like you stated in your original post, WDW and DLP are two parks with lots of differences - the aestetic of DLP being the most significant.

Ps did you know that DLP has to complete a third gate before 2030? If not, they have to give back some of the land to the French government!

Of course I know that. I follow the DLP news closely ;)

Texas84

Great pics! Thanks for posting. Hoping to make it next fall for the new half marathon. I have my resort package reserved. Air fare from the US might be more than the package cost. :)

dagobert

Original Poster
Great pics! Thanks for posting. Hoping to make it next fall for the new half marathon. I have my resort package reserved. Air fare from the US might be more than the package cost. :)

Thank you! I know, airfare from or to the US can be expensive. Hopefully you will find a good deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom