Disneyland Firework Shows Past and Present

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Next week Feb 18th will be 10 years that Disneyland first debuted Believe...Theres Magic in the Stars. The replacement of the long shown Fantasy in the Sky. So heres a look at every major firework show from Fantasy In the Sky to the newest in the roster Halloween Screams- A Villainous Surprise in the Skies. I guess I'll do one show per day as it will get a little tricky when it comes to Believe...In Holiday Magic since the 00 and 06 versions and so different, then changed again slightly in 2007.

Fantasy in the Sky- 1958-2000

Opening in 1958 Fantasy In the Sky was the first fireworks show at Disneyland though the show did not feature Tinker Bell flying off the Matterhorn till 1961. There must have been some changes made to the show in the years, since the video below features "it's a small world".

But heres Fantasy In the Sky from 1999, you can also see at the very start of the video with twinkling lights, from a large tree there was one on each side both, replaced with smaller trees.
[youtube]SnMU7dLEvGE[/youtube]

nemofinder22

Original Poster
I know for WDW's FitS, there were MULTIPLE versions through the years, I didn't know about DL's though.

Cool thread!

Thanks!

Really cool to look back on these shows, kinda weird to not see the castle lighting change colors, or go dark but just stays lit normally.

sponono88

Wow, fireworks shows sure have come a long way since then. I still have fond memories of Believe There's Magic in the Stars. Such a great show, not on the scale of RDCT or Magical, but still one of my favorites.

My top spot goes to Magical, for the variety of effects it uses, two different flying characters, and the really fun finale.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Wow, fireworks shows sure have come a long way since then. I still have fond memories of Believe There's Magic in the Stars. Such a great show, not on the scale of RDCT or Magical, but still one of my favorites.

My top spot goes to Magical, for the variety of effects it uses, two different flying characters, and the really fun finale.

I loved Believe...Theres Magic In the Stars!

Isn't it? :lol: So low tech.

Kinda crazy how long DL kept the show, it returns during NYE well soundtrack does.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Believe...There's Magic in the Stars​
2000-mid 2004​

Officially debuting on Feb 18th part of the 45th Anniversary of Disneyland Believe...There's Magic in the Stars, brought firework technology at Disneyland up to date, a brand new soundtrack, new low level fireworks on the castle as well as the 9-line behind ToonTown, comments, hearts, and the trio of fireworks that would make a hidden Mickey in the sky(the first version of the effect later perfected), new castle lighting, it would also be centered around watching from the Hub. Tinker Bell would use the same line she used before in Fantasy In the Sky.

Believe... Theres Magic in the Stars would continue to play up until late Spring 2004(except during the Christmas season when Believe...In Holiday Magic would take over) when it would be replaced. Although I never found the real reason why it ended a few rumors point that it was heavy focused on the castle, later in the summer of 2004 Sleeping Beauty Castle would be covered in tarps in preparation for the 50th Anniversary. Another one says that it was due to the new pneumatic air launch system, and another said it was so DL could show a smaller firework show before the 50th so the 50th show would look better(needless to say the last one was beyond wrong)....:shrug:

Whatever the reason may have been Believe...Theres Magic In the Stars would end in 2004 and would be replaced with Imagine...A Fantasy In the Sky.

Premiere performance 2-16-00, notice the trees in the hub.
[youtube]mSOc-PTbCXo[/youtube]
[youtube]-qPQ34nHpKY[/youtube]

Another performance
In this video you can see the "tinker bell" effect the little ball going back and forth behind the castle prior to any fireworks. Tinker Bell makes a full appearance later.
[youtube]QhNj4sKWI9w[/youtube]

Edit-
Some more digging around on information I found this and talks about Steve Davison and the show. The bold below is the most interesting!

Short video of Steve Davison acting out Believe...Theres Magic in the Stars
http://www.laughingplace.com/files/columns/fm20010101/davison.mpg

See the full story at the link -
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-PID102085-102088.asp
But back to Steven Davison….Steven exploded onto the stage. He just bounced out there with energy and excitement which reflected how I felt, too. He began his presentation by explaining that he didn’t find firework shows very interesting. And so rather than discuss the facts he was going to pass along the heart of “Believe”. The following is from that discussion.

It began with the theme song which he listened to over and over again and developed a story. He wanted to use fireworks to paint this story. It is the tale of a little boy that lived in the country while he was growing up. He would often go out to a small hill and daydream. Sometimes his mother would come out there and read him stories. One day they were there until the stars came out and he and his mother looked into the stars. They connected them to form shapes in the sky. Suddenly a single star shot across star and his mother as all good parents do declared it a wishing star. And so the boy makes a wish. Years later he learns they have to move to the city. His mother suggests that he go back out to his hill to say goodbye. While he is out there he waits for his shooting star and sure enough it bolts across the sky and once again the boy wishes, “I wish I never had to leave this magical place.” The star then travels down to him but it isn’t a star but Tinker Bell who decides to grant him his wish but not that way he expected. Rather than create a magical castle he can move into and live happily ever after she gathers stardust and paints his childhood images of adventure and fantasy in the sky. As he says goodbye to his hill he realizes that he never will leave this magical place because his childhood along with memories of this place will always be with him in his heart.

But before we go to Imagine... A Fantasy in the Sky, next up will be Believe...In Holiday Magic the 2000-2004 version

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Believe...In Holiday Magic
(2000-2004 version)​

Believe...In Holiday Magic is the Christmas version of Believe...Theres Magic in the Stars. Opening on November, 2000(I cant find the exact date one says Nov 4 and another says Nov 17). The 2000-2004 version pretty much features all the same effects as Magic in the Stars, except this one would have a snow filled finale.

The show would not perform in the Christmas season on 2005 as it was replaced that year with Remember...Dreams Come True. It would return in 2006 with a major set of updates, and then again starting 2007 with the Winter Time Enchantment on the castle, and then again in 2008 when the Winter Time Enchantment would be upgraded. (these will be part of a future post)

Read the whole interview with Steve Davison.
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-PID502780-502781.asp
Laughingplace: You’ve had a huge huge success with "Believe ... In Holiday Magic". Do you feel a lot of pressure now to keep topping yourself?

Steve Davison: Holiday was scary I’ll be honest about it because you had a huge hit with the first show [Believe...There's Magic in the Stars] and you don’t know. I never did fireworks in my life and they actually say we want you to do fireworks so we get to play, we get to paint, and you just try something. I’m an artist by trade so you use color and use light and you look at it completely different and you get to play with a medium that a lot of people in the business look at very specifically.

With "it's a small world holiday", the first one, it was just great to have that kind of audience response. I do feel I’m really connected with the Disney audience. Even before we opened we were scrutinized for even touching that attraction and at the end of it, it was really great to see people respond and really bring back a memory for a lot of people because they hadn’t been on the ride in years. "Oh that thing with the dolls. I rode that one when I was a kid." Then they go on it again and just by adding things inside of it you make people relive those experiences and then they have their kids and their kids are seeing it for a whole new first time.

Here's Believe...In Holiday Magic as seen from its opening year 2000
[youtube]F8gqYxDfwns[/youtube]

Hobnail Boot

I never had the chance to see Believe, but hopefully I'll make it out to DL for the holidays one year and get to see the holiday version.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
I never had the chance to see Believe, but hopefully I'll make it out to DL for the holidays one year and get to see the holiday version.

Here's hopeing you get to see Holiday Magic, IMO its probably my favorite out of all the firework shows and the best part they kept the effects up to date since its original debut.

On a side note next up is Imagine-A Fantasy in the Sky.

mharrington

Here's a semi-complete list of all the fireworks shows that have been seen at Disneyland:

• Fantasy In the Sky (1958-2000)
  • Believe... There's Magic In the Stars (2000-2004)
  • Believe... In Holiday Magic (2001-2004; holiday season)
  • Imagine... A Fantasy In the Sky (2004-2005)
  • Remember... Dreams Come True (2005-2009; 2010-today)
  • Magical (2009)
  • Halloween Screams (2009)

I hope this helps.

TP2000

On a side note next up is Imagine-A Fantasy in the Sky.

Thank you so much for doing this for us!

I remember all of these shows, and saw them all many times, but it's a great refresher on all of the changes in the last 10 years.

I do remember until the first Believe in 2000 that Disneyland used to only do fireworks about 90 days per year or less. They would do them for about 75 days from mid June to late August, then maybe some years they'd do them for 10 days around Easter, and then only on New Years Eve at Midnight. And always the same Fantasy In The Sky show.

We have gotten so spoiled in recent years with about 250 nights per year of fireworks now, with four standard shows and two special event shows to choose from. In Walt's day, fireworks were a summertime only thing.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Imagine- A Fantasy In The Sky​

2004​

Imagine- A Fantasy In The Sky would replace Believe...Theres Magic in the Stars sometime at the start of the summer season. Using music from MK's Share a Dream Come True Parade as well as MK's Fantasy in the Sky.

It appears that there was 2 versions of the show, the first before the castle went behind tarps and the other when the castle was hidden. When the castle was hidden Tinker Bell no longer flew. I cant tell if the Tinker Bell line was removed at this time or if it was because of the castle. Imagine- A Fantasy in the Sky would be replaced by Remember...Dreams Come True, but before we can get there Believe...In Holiday Magic(2000-2004 version would play one last time) and Fantasy In the Sky would make a brief 2 week return for spring break, I totally forget the soundtrack used, but if I remember right it was just basically a way to get rid of the rest of the shells from Believe...There's Magic In the Stars.

Early summer 2004 with the castle and Tinker Bell
[youtube]8hD1p8s6-E4[/youtube]

Video description says its from October 2004 which matches when the tarps started coming off the castle. So no castle and no Tinker Bell. I cant tell but it looks like the olive trees have been removed in this video.

[youtube]XATFXkDFjLU[/youtube]

EPCOT Explorer

Love the retro/Low tech Washes on the Castle. :lol: They should bring back that effect just for kicks.

And during our MSEP, too. :D Like in all the old press pictures. :D Blue and White Washes for the win! :lol:

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Remember... Dreams Come True
May 5, 2005- Still Showing
50th_remember_fireworks.jpg

Perhaps the best fireworks ever displayed(with no extra ticket or special event)on May 5, 2005 Disneyland officially debuted, Remember... Dreams Come True, featuring the E-tickets in the Sky, a brand new flight for Tinker Bell, new LED lighting on the castle, lasers, flame throwers, pin wheel fireworks, 12 in park launch locations in the Hub and on top of the Matterhorn, projections on the castle and Matterhorn.

As the show performed it would have impact on the walkways in the Hub, soon the planters in the Hub(the ones near the Plaza Pavilion and near the Plaza Inn) would be widened just a bit. Video projection would also be added to the it's a small world facade, and the lasers from Fantasmic! would be used.

It would continue to show for the duration of the 50th Anniversary, taking over for the Christmas season and featured the snow finale. After the 50th ended a few lines said by Julie Andrews would be altered a tiny bit.

In 2009? the show would lose the 2nd half of the Frontierland segment(made up of 2 parts the ROA/Shenandoah and the other half being Big Thunder/Shooting Gallery/Davey Crockett)

Christmas 2005 Remember...Dreams Come True, took place of Believe...in Holiday Magic. In 2006 Believe...In Holiday Magic returned with many effects as seen in Remember...Dreams Come True.

Remember...Dreams Come True would continue to play in June 2009 Magical would take over for the summer.

The Steve Davison presentation of the show, as well as concept art. The Tinker Bell re-enactment is the best part!:ROFLOL:
[youtube]MNQi8JrmloM[/youtube][youtube]jYLrJhoDC-Y[/youtube]

10 Mins till show time announcement
[youtube]ExDqzwLeSno[/youtube]

Opening night
[youtube]0EsdLOdoXJk[/youtube]

With the small world projections
[youtube]ug8FqtExNZA[/youtube]

[youtube]J9MpwXvqPzU[/youtube][youtube]LRU0OPMa8WM[/youtube]

Next up will actually be Believe...In Holiday Magic the 2006, 2007, and 2008/2009 versions.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Believe...In Holiday Magic
2006, 2007, and 2008/09 versions

2006 Version​
Returning after its last performance since 2004 Believe... In Holiday Magic returned in 2006, with a big update. Using many effects from Remember...Dreams Come True. It would now feature, the new LED lighting, the pin wheels, castle effects(similar to the shooting gallery segment from RDCT) a new finale

[youtube]1cghxG1CZks[/youtube]

2007 Version
In 2007 it would receive another update with the Sleeping Beauty Castle Wintertime Enchantment, with 2 snow shows prior to firework time that would lead to the final being the fireworks and its "White Christmas" snow finale.
The snow shows" song features "Shine" from DCA's Luminara.

Acts 1 and 2
[youtube]XpER84TAukY[/youtube][youtube]pLk0DCFfcJc[/youtube]

Fireworks and Act 3(White Christmas)
[youtube]yo6an1sfAYQ[/youtube][youtube]RBcWGBEpqng[/youtube]

2008/09 Version​
2008 introduced the Wintertime Enchantment being extended to the Hub trees, the garland spanning Main Street, and the Christmas Tree. The same year the castle lighting would be extended on the back of the castle was well as new light up spires

Act 1 and 2(notice the spires all light up now, as well as the Hub trees, garlands and Christmas tree)
[youtube]P3U1m73yxc[/youtube][youtube]L8H7OFH6ubk[/youtube]

The castle spires light up during the "Remember the Magic" segment and "Silent Night"
[youtube]SZ_8bY5_1XY[/youtube][youtube]gAViXMRrVx8[/youtube]

Its great to see this show get so many updates through the years, its the only show to not have any flying characters. But its just perfect the way it is:) well with its updates of course.

Next up Magical part of Summer Nightastic 2009

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom