Disneyland California 1st time! May 2010!

disneyworld07

Original Poster
Hi All,
So we are off to Disneyland California for the first time ever at the end of May 2010! We are on a mission to see all of the Disney Parks and have so far managed to go to Disney World twice and Disneyland Paris once! We are there for 1 week and were wondering - whats it like late May (23rd - 29th)?

Is the weather ok?

Are the parks busy?

Will a 4 day hopper be enough?? (we are mega disney fans - wil we need longer?)

Is there anything we shouldnt miss?

Anything else you would like to add??!

We're from the UK and are very excited!! Only 8 months to go!! :sohappy:

Thanks all!

The weather is great!

The parks should be light to medium. It's not until June or July that crowds pick up because of schools letting out for the summer.

4-day hoppers will definitely be enough. I'd say that DCA is a half day park at most, and everything at Disneyland can be done in two days. That's if you were rushing to get everything done. 4 days should be enough.

The must-sees:

DL: Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, and of course the classics, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean.

DCA: The Aladdin show and Soarin' Over California.

Only thing left to add is to have a great trip!

swimmom

Weather should be great, but when we went two years ago in May we had record temps 90-100 degress every day.

Ditto on CaesarBoxFan's must see attractions. However Soarin' is exactly the same as WDW, but we like it some much that it's worth going for us.

I will add Matterhorn, Enchanted Tiki Birds & Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for nostalgic reasons. California Screamin' if your roller coaster fans. And Finding Nemo Submarines, however get in line just before the park closes and enjoy the walk out of the park with hardly anyone around.

sponono88

The weather is great!

The parks should be light to medium. It's not until June or July that crowds pick up because of schools letting out for the summer.

4-day hoppers will definitely be enough. I'd say that DCA is a half day park at most, and everything at Disneyland can be done in two days. That's if you were rushing to get everything done. 4 days should be enough.

The must-sees:

DL: Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, and of course the classics, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean.

DCA: The Aladdin show and Soarin' Over California.

Only thing left to add is to have a great trip!

Don't forget California Screamin', Grizzly River Run, and World of Color should hopefully be open by then. Monsters Inc ride is fun if you like traditional Disney dark rides (one of my favorites) and the Animation Building is a must-see imo. :) All unique to DCA.

The weather should be great, not sure about the crowds.

TP2000

You couldn't have picked a better time to visit Disneyland than late May.

I hope you are also planning on getting off Disneyland property a day or two and seeing the sights of Southern California, many of them being 30 to 60 freeway minutes from Disneyland.

disney4life2008

Great! I am (possibly) planning a August Disneyland trip. I want to go for 4 reasons:

1) Fantasmic!
2) Electrical Parade
3) World of Color
4) Havent been to Disneyland in about 25 years, lol

Lucille

Hi All,
So we are off to Disneyland California for the first time ever at the end of May 2010! We are on a mission to see all of the Disney Parks and have so far managed to go to Disney World twice and Disneyland Paris once! We are there for 1 week and were wondering - whats it like late May (23rd - 29th)?

Is the weather ok?

Are the parks busy?

Will a 4 day hopper be enough?? (we are mega disney fans - wil we need longer?)

Is there anything we shouldnt miss?

Anything else you would like to add??!

We're from the UK and are very excited!! Only 8 months to go!! :sohappy:

Thanks all!

Is the weather okay? Well...I think that depends on your definition of okay. For me, May is typically too hot.

You can go to www.wunderground.com/tripplanner and type in Anaheim with your dates and it will give you historical weather info for those dates. It won't actually give you data for Anaheim but it gives info for Fullerton which is close. However, we've always noticed that the weather always seems a bit warmer in the parks.

The parks can be busy but not as busy as summer months. It will be more crowded in the evenings and on the weekends.

4 day hoppers should be plenty of time.

I wouldn't miss any of the attractions that are unique to DL/DCA. With 4 day hoppers you really should be able to do everything.

Where are you staying? Which airport are you flying into?

disneyworld07

Original Poster
omg you guys - I am so excited now I have read your posts!! thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I was wondering - will we be able to go to Hollywood or is that far from Disney (we have no car).

Also - is there much in the way of Disneyland California souvenirs (which actually say California on them) as I noticed a lot of our Disney World souvenirs also said disneyland on them??

Most importantly to us - can you get a brown leather photo album with Disneyland California embossed on the front? (we have one from Disney World and one from Disneyland Paris and want the full set!)

Weather sounds like it will be great - if a little hot. Anyone have more info on crown levels and best days to go to the parks?

Thanks so much for your replies - cant wait to get planning!! Only wish we could get the Disneyland California planning dvd - cant get it as we are in the uk!! :(

Lucille

omg you guys - I am so excited now I have read your posts!! thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I was wondering - will we be able to go to Hollywood or is that far from Disney (we have no car).

Also - is there much in the way of Disneyland California souvenirs (which actually say California on them) as I noticed a lot of our Disney World souvenirs also said disneyland on them??

Most importantly to us - can you get a brown leather photo album with Disneyland California embossed on the front? (we have one from Disney World and one from Disneyland Paris and want the full set!)

Weather sounds like it will be great - if a little hot. Anyone have more info on crown levels and best days to go to the parks?

Thanks so much for your replies - cant wait to get planning!! Only wish we could get the Disneyland California planning dvd - cant get it as we are in the uk!! :(

Hollywood is about 30 miles away but it can take up to 2 hours to get there in traffic (I think.) Not sure what your options are if you aren't renting a car.

In your first post you say you're staying a week. And you'll be getting a 4-day hopper. Since you don't have a car, what are you plans of the other days you are there?

I don't think it's technically called "Disneyland California" so I don't think you'll be able to find anything that says that.

Ryan120420

Hollywood is real easy to get to on the train and Subway from Disneyland.

Go to the Anaheim Amtrak/Metrolink station (only 2 miles from Disneyland)

Take the Orange County Metrolink line to Los Angeles Union Station.

At Union Station transfer to The Red Line to North Hollywood (This is a subway, your metrolink ticket is valid all day on any bus, light rail, and subway)

From the red line you can visit the Pantages Theater, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater, Kodak Theater, El Capitan, Universal Studios Hollywood theme park, and Universal Studios City Walk. All those destinations have a Redline Subway Station less than a block away.

Anaheim Metrolink Station

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/stations/detail.php?id=81

Schedule

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/html.php?id=241

LAUS

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...ar=West+Hollywood,+CA&cid=2542900435220387375

Redline

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/riders_guide/planning_trip.htm

Have Fun! If you have any questions just ask. I will be happy to answer.

TP2000

Great info on taking Metrolink from Anaheim to Los Angeles!

If the Metrolink timetable doesn't fit the schedule, or you want to stay later into the night in LA, you can also take one of the dozen Amtrak Surfliners from Anaheim to LA and back. All together, there are several dozen trains per day to and from Anaheim and Los Angeles.

Surfliner info and timetables are here; http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/AM_Route_C/1241245649505/1237405732511

Laura

Premium Member

Another thing you can do (other than take Amtrak/Metro) is take one of those Starline Tours. Many of them will pick you up right from your hotel and drop you back off afterwards.

We just did the hop-on, hop-off double-decker bus tour of LA a couple days ago and I loved it. (Though we drove right to Union Station and took the Metro from there, then caught the tour bus from Graumann's Theatre). We considered taking the Amtrak from Anaheim to Union Station, but decided it wouldn't be worth the expense to save a 30 mile drive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom