Trip Report Disneyland by way of Alaska

Hello everybody. Let me start out by saying that I have been a member of the boards for many years and post occasionally but have never written a trip report (gasp, I know!). I never seem to find the time to write it. But I have read and benefitted from so many wonderful trip reports over the years that I felt I needed to write one, especially for this trip of a lifetime. Warning before you start reading – this will be a very long trip report since our trip was 2 weeks (actually 16 days total) and may take me a while to complete. I will add pictures in as I go but some of my pictures may not be the best quality.

Ok, now for the introductions. There is me, Kris, self-proclaimed Disney fanatic and mother to a wonderful daughter.
Picture1.jpg

And my wonderful daughter, Shallon, who is 24 and was born and raised under my Disney fascination and I think she may be even passing me up with her Disney obsession.
Picture 2 .jpg

We are true Disney buddies. By the way, a few weeks before we left Shallon broke her foot bike riding so she is in a boot cast. It could have been a lot worse and she seemed to be moving around pretty well, although I did refer to her a couple times on the trip as hop-along-Shallon.

We have been to Disney World many times and go twice a year and usually spend a couple weeks each trip. We have been WDW Annual Passholders for quite a few years and really get our money’s worth out of those passes. A few years ago, a fellow board member and helpful planner turned me on to Disney Cruise Line. We had never cruised before and once I took the leap I was so hooked there is no turning back. So I blame (or thank) my helpful planner friend who I will refer to as “she who must not be named”. Now we have taken 5 cruises in the past 4 years which is quite a feat because I never thought I’d be able to swing taking a cruise in the first place. I have learned so much about cruising from the boards and from the trip reports that have helped me prepare in immeasurable ways. In addition, “she who must not be named” has answered so many questions for me over the years that I couldn’t have done it without her, plus she has the best trip reports ever. For those who have cruised with Disney, you probably know how addicting it can be. We have cruised on the Dream 3 times, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean 1 time and most recently we cruised on the Wonder to Alaska. Now Alaska has always been a dream of mine since I was very little and what better way to experience Alaska than on a Disney cruise.

So once I decided to take the Alaska plunge, I figured we might as well go to Disneyland too. Since we live in Michigan and would be going all the way over to “that side of the country” we may as well go down to California too and experience our very first visit to Disneyland (makes perfect sense, right). So we spent a week cruising Alaska and a week in Disneyland, after all I didn’t know when we’d make it way over there again. This really was a trip of a lifetime. I planned the cruise 1 ½ years in advance so I had plenty of time to learn more. This was also a surprise for Shallon so as the trip got closer it became more difficult to pull things together without her knowing. Shallon has Down syndrome and is very much a kid at heart, which means I have the advantage of experiencing Disney life through the eyes of a child over and over, even though she is 24. But this is also why I can’t tell her too far in advance because she just can’t stand to wait for the next Disney fix (who can). For a seasoned WDW vet who can plan a trip there with my eyes closed, I was completely out of my comfort zone. This was a trip of firsts…. first time in Vancouver, first time on the Wonder, first time in Alaska, and first time to Disneyland. I sure did a lot of homework before this trip, thanks to all the trip reports. Even though I was very excited about this trip, there was also something completely terrifying about it. But the very things that made this trip scary were the same things that made it fantastic, discovering new territory. So let’s get started.

mrdrift

What a awesome day at California Adventure, you were able to accomplish so much in one day. The pictures again were perfect for the park. I would agree with you that Radiator Springs is such a beautiful place to visit and so realistic from the movie. Following along this great report.

PMC0849

Love the report so far! I am going to have to consider an Alaskan Cruise. Disneyland looks amazing too, I really need to get out to CA. I would do it just for the longer PotC.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
What a awesome day at California Adventure, you were able to accomplish so much in one day. The pictures again were perfect for the park. I would agree with you that Radiator Springs is such a beautiful place to visit and so realistic from the movie. Following along this great report.
Thanks. We did accomplish a lot. I don't think we set out that way originally but the crowds were so low we just about walked onto everything. Plus we had extra time for me to regain my composure after California Screamin :)

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Love the report so far! I am going to have to consider an Alaskan Cruise. Disneyland looks amazing too, I really need to get out to CA. I would do it just for the longer PotC.
If you are even considering an Alaskan cruise, do it. It was so worthwhile, educational, amazing, and fun. I would go again just to check out stuff I didn't see this time. And DL was great too. I've been a Disney fan for many, many years but had never been there. It was great to experience Walt's original park and to see some of the differences between this and WDW. I was definitely WOW'd by it all.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Day 12 – Thursday, September 11-Disneyland
Slept in today after our long day yesterday and that felt great. We took it real slow this morning; not in any hurry. Even though we weren’t going home for another four days, I got to thinking about our suitcases being overweight. When we left from home, we started out overweight then we bought “stuff” in Alaska and on the cruise. I also anticipated buying some “stuff” here at Disneyland so I thought I better plan accordingly. So I went down to the front desk and got a couple boxes to ship some stuff home. Now these were the Express Mail boxes that have a flat fee and you can put as much into the box as you can fit all for the same price. So I took the two boxes back to the room and dug through the suitcases to find the smallest and heaviest stuff I could and loaded them up. Good thing I had a lot of tape to close them up otherwise they would have burst at the seams. But this was going to be extremely helpful for our return trip home. They cost $16 per box but this was much better than paying $100 to the airline for an overweight bag, or having to haul a ton of stuff with me on the plane. So now that I got that out of the way, we can relax and have a nice day.

We took the shuttle to the parks and went to Disneyland this morning getting there around 10:30, about half hour after opening. The crowds were still good as this was a weekday. We started out on the Matterhorn this morning.

1.jpg

2.jpg

My mom rode this back in the late 50’s when the park opened and she is still traumatized to this day over it. So she was jokingly telling us before we left “whatever you do, don’t ride the Matterhorn”. So of course, that was a challenge to Shallon that we absolutely had to ride it. Now I knew it wasn’t a major roller coaster so I had no problems with this one except it was really jerky. I had heard about this and even heard that one side was worse than the other, so I asked the cast member when we got there which one was less bumpy. I really had to hold on but I liked the ride other than this.

We rode Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, the Carousel and Shallon rode the Tea Cups solo (I don’t do spinning rides).
snow white.jpg

alice tea.jpg

alice-signs.jpg

Off with your head!

alice queen.jpg

Last edited:

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Then we went to check out It’s a Small World. This was really cool. I loved this starting outdoors. The building was beautiful and the while we were in line we got to see the train come past and also the clock people coming out.

sw tunnel.jpg

sw-train.jpg

sw-clock.jpg

Inside the ride I was delighted to see the Disney & Pixar characters mixed in sporadically in the scenes. They really fit them in nice. I wish they would do this in Florida.

sw-woody.jpg

sw-timon.jpg

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Afterward, we went and watched Mickey and the Magical Map. That was a nice show and I loved the dancing.

map 1.jpg

map 2.jpg

We took the railroad to Tomorrowland and then the monorail over to Downtown Disney for lunch.

train.jpg

This was our first ride on this monorail so it was nice to see the Disneyland & DCA scenery throughout this journey. Well we already had our sights set on Earl of Sandwich for lunch. I just love this place, I wish we had one at home. The food is so good and very reasonably priced. I love the Hawaiian BBQ, yum! We didn’t really stay in DTD because we would be back there to check it out on a non-park day later so we took the monorail back to DL.

monorial.jpg

We rode Autotopia which is another one of Shallon’s favorite rides (she has quite a few) because she gets to drive the car herself.

auto.jpg

Now I don’t get why the cast members here wait until the car is empty and the people have walked up the steps and left before sending someone else down to get into the car. Doesn’t seem like a very efficient use of time, instead of having the next riders ready to hop into the car immediately. Maybe they were just doing that today, it seemed weird. It was a short line anyway. Usually Shallon goes in a car by herself but today I rode with her so I could push on the gas pedal. I didn’t want her to get a lead-foot with that boot cast on and go over the speed limit. I loved these cool cars that don’t overcome you with gas fumes and we also loved the extra-long track no longer available at WDW. We rode Buzz Lightyear after this and I liked that you can hold the laser guns but I don’t like that you have to push the button every time. I do better when you can hold the button down constantly and it just keeps shooting like in WDW. My score was terrible but we still had a great time. We wanted to ride the Nemo Submarines but they were down for refurb during our visit. Oh well, next time.

nemo.jpg

stillgoofy

Original Poster
We walked around for a bit and then went to Gibson Girl’s Ice Cream for dinner.

ice cream.jpg

Yes, you read that right, ice cream for dinner. Now it wasn’t actually dinner time yet, but we knew that because we couldn’t settle on one flavor and were each getting a double scoop that we’d be too full for dinner. So we just called it dinner. This is allowed on vacation, right? We then watched Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. This was such a spectacular audio-animatronic, you could really believe this was a real person moving and speaking to you.
Well it was real hot today, around 93 degrees, so we took the bus back to our condo to swim. We started some laundry since we only brought a few things and were sweating through it all. Then we went down to the pool to swim. Our condo had a cool pool area which was on the ground level open air but covered over by the second level of the building so we were not out in the direct sunlight. The pool water was very cold which felt great and the hot tubs were very hot which I could only stay in for a minute. The cold water felt much better and this was very relaxing. They had tables and cushy chairs and big-screen TV all in this pool area. The TV was already on and there was a football game playing. Shallon loves watching sports but has no idea who any of the teams are so she just picks her favorite color uniform and cheers for them. I think it was the Steelers that day. After a while we went back to the room to kick back for the evening. And what do you think Shallon wanted to watch on TV? The rest of the football game, of course. But her team didn’t win.

mrdrift

What a nice day at Disneyland. I would agree that the Matterhorn is a very rough and jerky ride, but still fun. Were you able to ride in the front on the monorail. If you ask they still allow people to ride in the first car with the driver. They stopped that at WDW due to an accident. Following along.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
What a nice day at Disneyland. I would agree that the Matterhorn is a very rough and jerky ride, but still fun. Were you able to ride in the front on the monorail. If you ask they still allow people to ride in the first car with the driver. They stopped that at WDW due to an accident. Following along.
No we didn't ask about riding in the front of the monorail. I didn't even think about that. We've done that before in WDW a couple years before the big accident. Thanks for following.

stevehousse

Absolutely loving your report! The cruise protion seemed amazing! I have always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise! And to top it off with DL at the end is just magical! I am bringing my family for their first trip out west and can't wait to read more! How was te world of color section you were in with the dining package?

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Absolutely loving your report! The cruise protion seemed amazing! I have always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise! And to top it off with DL at the end is just magical! I am bringing my family for their first trip out west and can't wait to read more! How was te world of color section you were in with the dining package?
The cruise was fabulous and I would do it again in a heartbeat. DL was also great and our first trip west together. DL was very magical and amazing in so many ways. The WOC section we had was awesome and I would highly recommend a lunch or dinner package to get the better seating. Although I would pick a different restaraunt next time. The other areas that were for fastpass seemed much more packed and people still had to line up to get a spot quite early for those. But with the reserved meals spots we just walked up real close to show time.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Day 13 – Friday, September 12
We went to Disneyland again today. It was nice to slow down a bit and take in more of the details. Well a few things were going on here today. It was a weekend day so the crowds were quite a bit heavier. It was Dapper Days so again crowds heavier and lots of folks dressed up. I loved seeing people dressed up in clothing from the old days. There were some really great outfits, especially the kids. But as the day went on and got hotter and hotter (mid-90’s), I know some of these people were roasting. This was also the first day of opening of the Haunted Mansion with its holiday overlay.

hm 4.jpg

hm 3.jpg

hm 1.jpg

hm 2.jpg

We got in line right away for Haunted Mansion because I figured it may be our only chance at a semi-small line. We waited about 25 minutes before we got to the front of the line, only to find out they were closing it due to technical problems. Yikes, it just opened. Thought they might give us a fastpass to come back later, but no such luck. We left the line and went to Splash Mountain and walked right on with no line. We got a bit wet but it felt good because it was getting hot already.

splash.jpg

The Splash Mountain line was now 40 minutes so I’m glad we rode when we did, must have been everyone from the Haunted Mansion line. As we were walking back past Haunted Mansion they were just re-opening it right that moment so we hopped back in line and waited only 5 minutes (I guess that makes up for the 25 minutes we waited before). We quickly walked past the queue for Jack Skellington and Sally so I snapped a quick picture.

jack.jpg

This ride was awesome with the Halloween/Christmas décor and theme but it did make me wonder what it was like in its regular state, probably much like WDW. As we were exiting the ride, I noticed the wait was now 70 minutes. So far we were doing pretty well with our lines. But we weren’t planning on riding tons of rides today but instead just walking around and exploring.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
We grabbed a famous hand-dipped corndog and went into the Golden Horseshoe to catch the show starting in a few minutes.

gh sign.jpg

Tables were filled on the floor but we got a great seat upstairs looking down over the stage.

gh show.jpg

I was once again imagining Walt Disney in here at his private table hootin and hollerin at the show. I really felt the history in this park.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
We were walking back to Fantasyland and passed the Big Thunder Ranch which had been closed and had just opened up today for the Halloween Carnival.

ranch sign.jpg

The place was decorated up so nicely with the fall theme for Halloween.

ticket booth.jpg

carnival decor.jpg

carn decor 2.jpg

This was a cool little area with games, shows, arts & crafts, characters, and animals to pet. Shallon played a couple of the games like ring toss and spinning wheel.

open area.jpg

ring toss sign.jpg

wheel.jpg

stillgoofy

Original Poster
We saw many characters dressed in their Halloween costumes just roaming around, interacting with other, no lines.

h goofy hug.jpg

h goofy.jpg

There was a stage set up and a gentleman came out and did a magic show with the levitation person trick (I still don’t know how they do that). When we sat down to watch the magic show, Dale came right up and sat behind Shallon on one of the benches. She didn’t even know he was there until he tapped her on the shoulder, it was a neat surprise.

dale.jpg

We saw many pumpkin carvings.

carver wagon.jpg

carver stitch.jpg

This gentleman was carving Maleficent on this one. He was an extremely talented artist.

carver malef.jpg

stillgoofy

Original Poster
They had a tent called Conjure A Villain so we waited in line to check it out.

villain tent.jpg

villain tent 2.jpg

h look smile.jpg

Right before we went in the line came to a stand-still so a film crew could go in and set up. Turned out they were filming for the Disney Parks Blog and were still in there when we went in. So we go in the tent with a small group of people which was dark and had a witch’s cauldron up front. They picked a child to stir up the witch’s brew and then it started smoking and lights flashed and then the Wicked Queen appeared. She did meet and greets with everyone and she was so great playing her part. They had PhotoPass photographer in there and they were still filming for the Disney Blog. We got our time with the Wicked Queen and she was hilarious.

h shallon queen.jpg

h queen.jpg

As we were leaving the tent we were asked to sign releases for the filming of the Disney Blog (I haven’t seen us on the blog yet). It was a lot of fun.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
We went out and watched a character parade through the area.

h parade 2.jpg

h parade stilt.jpg

stilt guy.jpg

mickey pumpkin.jpg

Look at these scary folks!

h scary.jpg

Then we went over to visit the animals so Shallon could pet a few.

goat 1.jpg

goat.jpg

horse.jpg

This Halloween Carnival area was so great. It wasn’t crowded at all, there were tons of characters, shows, games, displays, arts & crafts, etc. It was also under awnings so it wasn’t extremely hot. We spent a couple hours there and had a great time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom