Disney Worlder impressions of Tokyo Disney

Disone

Original Poster
Hello all,

I little trip report / impressions for you as I recently took a trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort. I have long her this resort is the ultimate Disney Destination, Disney as it SHOULD be. Along the way I will compare it to WDW, and also DL. In the end I came across with mix of very impressed with the Tokyo Disneyland Resort yet strangely I find that WDW does not lag as far behind as I thought it did, but more on that as we get into the trip.

I grew up on Disneyland, and my home park is now WDW, but I heard so much about TDL, I was so excited. I stayed five night at the Disney Ambassador Hotel and did four days at TDL.

I purposely have waited to write out my thoughts, so as to let the euphoria of the trip to subside.

Some questions I had going into this was if I was going to heavily favor TDS (Tokyo DisneySea) over TDL (Tokyo Disneyland). Second that WDW was going to feel inferior to TDL. TDL was also going to be expensive and food was going to be concern, so lets dive into the reality of these expectations, the good, the bad, and the unknown.......

Something I did not expect, Tokyo Disney really does not feel like a true resort. It feels more like two theme parks and some really nice hotels. On paper it looks like it has everything it needs to feel like a destination resort. I did not expected it to feel like WDW, but I did think it would feel like the DLR, and in many ways it does. The streets around the resort even look similar to Harbor / Katella / West at the Disneyland resort. But after that it loses its connectivity at lot. Even with a VERY nice Monorail, and some really cute and Disney Busses, I did not feel "In the bubble" while traversing from my hotel to one of the parks. But in reality I felt like the bubble started and ended when you walked into or out of one of the two parks. The Monorail is HUGE, clean, effective, and reliable. It will come every 2 to 5 minutes depending on demand. It is fully automatic and there is bench seating in the forward nose cone for all to enjoy. There is a conductor at the back of the train and it is fun to watch them do their thing. They take their job VERY seriously but keep it Disney at the same time. A theme I would see over and over again from the cast of the TDL resort. They have five trains, and I saw all five of them and NONE of them look their age of almost 20 years. AND of note, beginning next year they are going to start to replace them. Now I don't know how much more life refurbishement can put into the WDW fleet, but the TDL fleet does NOT need to be replaced yet. But I guess that is sort of the point right? Replace before it is needed? Nice.

The busses are also super cute, if not a bit smaller then the city cruisers WDW uses. I did get yell at though. I was in the back seat and wanted a picture of the bus empty, but the driver did not appreciate me staying on board to take a picture of the empty bus. He jumped on board and "Get off bus!" was uttered in his broken english. LOL. Oh well, so much for the picture, but it was really cute on the inside. Done in mickey colors, it looked both like the 1950's and Mickey Mouse at the same time.

Overall, outside of the parks I felt both DLR and WDW do a much better job of keeping you in the bubble. TDL has a shopping and dinning area outside of the parks called Ikspiari. I guess its sort of their Down Town Disney / Disney Springs, but honestly Ikspiari underwhelmed me. I wanted to like it, I really did but it just didn't do much for me. DLR, with its two parks and Down Town Disney all connected, is MUCH more predestrain friendly then TDL. WDW's green belt blessing of size really does keep in in the Disney Bubble even when your not in a Disney theme park. Both the layout of the DLR resort and the green belts of the WDW resort really do work in their favor giving both these resort a "destination" feel that just is not present at Tokyo Disney Resort. I didn't get the sense of arrival, especially present at WDW, from Tokyo Disney. But we made, loved the hotel, its super cute and looks like it would fit well at the entrance of DCA or DHS. Has that art deco look. The rooms are cute, but I suspect who ever designed then had a hand in the design at cruise ship staterooms as I felt like I was in a cruise line stateroom. The website said two twin beds but I suspected they were Doubles, and they were, but be warned, they are doubles, not queens. And they are firmer then you are use to, but after a long day of travel, and the following long days in the parks, they were perfect, and I even found myself using the deep soaking tub each night.

As a hotel, the Ambassador was lovely. I was truely glad I decide to stay at on onsite Disney branded hotel on my first visit. The room was clean, confortable, and well taken care of. Would I say cleaner and better maintained then at WDW or DLR? Yes. Yes I would. The hotel staff was attentive and exceptionally warm. Smile were sincere, and the English was every present if not slightly broken, but they did once frown at my lack of Japenese. But as a resort, it did not compare to a WDW or DLR resort hotel. The pool is small, and closed most of the year. And by closed I mean closed. You can't even walk around the pool area, though through the lock by glass doors, I could see it still had water in it. But not only could you not swim, you couldn't even take a sun chair by the pool. A strange choice indeed but apparently very comment in Japanese hotels. The ground were nice but not on the level of a state side Disney Resort, not even close. Also missed is Disney's Magical Express and Airline check in. They do have a very neat and automated foreign currency machine. I found I loved this, as it could change USD's to Yen in a flash! It has options to convert LOTS of currency to Yen, and I really urge WDW to look in to doing this at WDW so that international tourists can avoid FD and painlessly and quickly convert their internation currency to US dollars.

So now that I am all check in, its time to by my four day ticket. The tickets here are different for sure. As a resort guest could by a park hopper on day one but as I have never been here decided to just focus on one park at a time. So I bought a four day pass. For day one I had to tell them which park I was going to go to. Day to defaulted to the other parks, and on day 3 and 4, I could visit as I choose and park hop too. Cost of the ticket in USD? $207. What???? yeah, loved THAT!!!!! Okay so ticket in hand now, and so now is that time..... I choose TDland as my first park. The resort give me a happy 15 voucher so I may enter 15 minutes early and we are off to see Tokyo Disneyland!!!
TDL Ambassador Hotel.jpg
TDL Ambassador Hotel 2.jpeg
TDL Ambassador hotel 3.jpg
TDL Bus.jpg
TDL Get off bus.jpg
TDL Ikspairi.jpg

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I never really thought about but Disneyland Resort is more pedestrian friendly than Tokyo Disney Resort due to layout and smaller property.

I suppose after having been to TDR so many times, everything feels connected cause I know the layout so well. However, having the resort surrounded on three sides by the bay is much more preferred then the streets in Anaheim.

Its unfortunate that the Disney Ambassador Hotel was not built on the bay front area of the resort.

Disone

Original Poster
I never really thought about but Disneyland Resort is more pedestrian friendly than Tokyo Disney Resort due to layout and smaller property.

I suppose after having been to TDR so many times, everything feels connected cause I know the layout so well. However, having the resort surrounded on three sides by the bay is much more preferred then the streets in Anaheim.

Its unfortunate that the Disney Ambassador Hotel was not built on the bay front area of the resort.

First I love that your responded. Thanks:) I just like how the two parks at DLR face each other. Makes park hopping super easy and you never leave the bubble. Downtown Disney is also just right there. At TDL you can walk between the parks but its not quick and at times I felt more exposed to the city, even with the bay right there. But yes, the Bay is lovely. I would ride the resort liner just look at it.
At DLR from three resorts to the two park entrances there is less of an intrusion of reality there this is walking from the hotels to the parks at TDR. IMO only. I cannot wait to go back.

Disone

Original Poster
Okay so here go into the Tokyo Disneyland. As a resort guest at the Ambassador hotel, or any other Disney branded resort, I do get access the parks early. While at Disneyland and Walt Disney World this can be 1 to 3 hours, here at Tokyo Disney they have something called the Happy 15. This allows you into the park 15 minutes before the regular park guests. They give you a voucher for each day of your resort stay, and along with your theme park ticket, you can enter ahead of the masses. So a Surprise, it just gets you into the park. Thats it. The park really is not opened yet. You can get in line, but the attraction will not begin operating until park opening time. I kind of love it to be honest. Allows you to get a jump start on a major attraction. You will be in line as the attraction opens while the masses will be shuffling through the turnstiles back at the entrance of the park! I like it because it gave me an advantage over the regular guest with out me having to get up too much earlier to take that advantage.

In many may ways, Tokyo Disneyland follows in the foot prints. You can see the bones of the MK here. If feel like a different version of the Magic Kingdom more so then Disneyland. But you start off on a section that kind of looks like Main Street USA, but, there is no town square, it is covered by a glass Canopy, and Center Street actually functions as a real thoroughfare from Adventureland on the left to Tomorrowland on the right with out having to go to the hub. (gasp, how un-Walt I know!!!). This area is called World Bazaar but it still looks like Main Street USA. It still has a magic shop, with a pretty incredible window display.

One big surprise for me here was the Hub and how much the new MK hub resembles this hub. They did not have any Castle shows because the stage itself was under major construction. But where at the MK's Hub big for HEA viewing, this Hub is big for parade viewing. If the castle is 12 oclock, the park enters the hub at just about 10:30, works it way counter clockwise to about 1:30 and then hooks a right to go up towards Town Town via a path between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. They have 3 major parades. Dreaming Up, Spooky Boo, and Dream Lights. All three of these are 100% worth watching. Everyone sits on something called a leisure mat. You can set it up about an hour before the parade. You are expected to stay with your mat, but its not frowned on to leave to go to the bathroom or get a refreshment. More time then that though and you risk your mat being removed by a staff member so that someone else can enjoy the spot. They are pretty intense with the mats. I didn't buy one for the first couple of days, but a cast member would always give me a park map to use as the mat.

Okay so how do the parades compare? I honestly would say the Festival of Fantasy is every bit as good as Dream Up. Its running time was about 18 minutes, so it clocks in under 20. It did have more floats though, about nine BIG floats and several tweeners (smaller floars between the big show stoppers). But honest I was pleasantly surprised that while I loved it, I did NOT think it was vastly superior to Festival of Fantasy. Now the other day parade is the Spooky Boo Parade. I was the "secondary parade". Like Move it Shake it, it is presented more times and involves a show stop in the Hub but man oh man, what a show! this this is a full on parade. I honestly don't know that its any smaller then the main Dream Up, with it's extensive show stop, its certainly longer! The show features an onstage costume change for Mickey, Minnie, and crew! This was my favorite of the three by leaps and bounds. Oh, and its included in park admission:) And then there is Dream Lights, which really is just a new and update Main Street Electrical Parade. Oh the Dream Lights floats are noticeably larger this beauty starts off with yup, you guessed it, the blue fair! Followed of course by Goofy driving a Casey Jr. like train. After a couple more familar floats, it starts to create its on floats that are NOT variates from the MSEP, but more than Paint the Night, WAY more, Dream Lights is a direct descendant of the MSEP. Its just a new bigger version, complete with the same toe tapping version of the theme song. Strangely while I loved it, (get the broom sticks out) I think I preferred Paint the Night. While certainly less floats then Dream Lights, I found the PTN floats to be larger and more creative just more stunning. That said I would take Dream Lights in a heart beat and it is not to be missed. Fun Fact, if they cancel Dream Lights due to rain, DO NOT LEAVE. They will present a mini electrical parade instead called Nightfall Glow. Only three floats but they only way to see them is if they bust them out as a rain parade plan B kind of thing. I was impressed they would have a back up mini electric parade.

Now one thing is for sure, Tokyo Disneyland is the friendliness place on earth. The cast delights in smiling at you, and if you double hand wave at them, but do they light up and return the gesture. Its absolutely contagious. The place is CLEAN and this done with a noticable limited number of trash cans. While they do have some in the parks, they are not everywhere. Cultural difference for sure.

Pirates, while it does have Jack, it does NOT have any the PC changes the US parks have made. They still want the red head, the men are chasing the women, the women are NOT holding onto food, and the last women is a big on the bigger side, but here she is chasing off one of the pirates armed with a broom. She is not having it. This version is very much like Disneyland's, but as only one drop, and ends like WDW. You get up and take an escalator back up.

Now I am not going to say WDW and DL splash Mountain's are the same, but they do have roughly the same que line design and ride flume designe. Tokyo's is very different, but to those who said you do not get wet...... well I did. Maybe the water new I was american? LOL. but it was not see the trail of bubble each log would make as it dived to the briar patch. The US parks use to have this little detail, Tokyo still does. But its not perfect, like WDW, the rocks in the dynomite scene during the third lift on Big Thunder no longer rock and tremble. Dumbo is oddly the old original carnival ride version. Space Mountain is the Disneyland Version sans the on board sound system. Haunted Mansion is the WDW version sans the Escher Staircases upgrades, but was also in full Haunted Mansion Holiday mode. So know I know what it would look like if it came to WDW. Snow White and Pinocchio are fun way to fast here, the car just zoom through the show scenes at a ridiculously fast pace. Peter Pan is about the same, but is also its its own version. The real star is Hunny Hunt. This attraction which opened way back in 2000 is THE dark ride of all dark rides. IMO it is the best attraction in all of the Tokyo Disney RESORT, and may be worth the trip just on its own right. Its that good. Shame none of the US parks got this version.

Not far behind Pooh's Hunny Hunt is the spectacular Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek dark ride. The Second best dark ride I have been one. Hello DHS, your family friendly, park capacity adding Dark ride attraction is RIGHT HERE! No need to look elsewhere.

I did not get to do Jungle Cruise but Western River Railroad was an unexpected delight. If you don't already now, the train does NOT go around the park. Heck, you don't even board the Western River Railroad in Westerland, nope you board it in Adventureland. And then takes you around Adventureland and Westernland (thats what they call their Frontierland). But its not a short ride like I thought it would be. They were running three trains with just their ONE station. The train tour take a full 10 minutes to complete its circuit and along the way so many little sights to see and Grand Finale show scene not unlike Disneyland's. While I love being able to use the trains at transportation at DL and MK, there is something VERY nice about just chugging alone the rails for 10 minutes non-stop.

Oh, they from what I can see, the new Beauty and Beast land is going to be stunning. Some of the building facades are revealed and they are on par with Belle Cottage and Gastons Tavern in new Fantasyland but there are ALOT more buildings. Its the village, just 3 structures from the village and Beasts Castle.... its HUGE. In the picture of it still under scaffolding, but look for the contruction worker to give you a sense of its size. While NOT larger then Cinderella Castle, its is a massive structure and completely out shines Beast's castle that is "in the distance" at new Fantasyland at WDW.

Over all the park did not surpass the original Disneyland to me because : Matterhorn, Alice, Mr. Toad, Subs, Autopia and few other tid bits. I like the slower pace of DL's Snow White and Pinocchio attractions, and the upgraded look of Dumbo. Storybook land is missing at TokyoDisneyland, and I would even give Disneyland's version of Pirates the slight edge, even after all of its needlessly Politically corrected scenes, it is still a bigger grander version as its Disneyland's Its a Small World. Tokyo's pretty much follows WDW's smaller version.

In the end it is a cleaner park, and better maintained. Here is one thing I didn't notice until day two, an attraction was 101. From that point on I actively looked for attractions that were 101. I didn't find any. Audio Animatronics works, Splash bubbles, ghosts boo, rides dispatch, effects, even the small ones, work. It was clear to me that it matters to them, no matter how small the detail. The park is being maintained to a standard Disney no longer has in the domestic parks, and I don't care what your surveys say, you know you aren't. Having just experienced myself, I can say it makes a difference. I cannot wait to go back and experience this Standard again.

Okay, jumping off soap box, and jumping next to Tokyo Disney Sea. I have been home sick doing this, so going to go bed now and will get to Disney Sea soon. In no particular order, here are some TDL pics. I will post the parade pics separately
TDland1.jpg
TDland2.jpg
20191009_084639_HDR_2.jpg
20191009_090123_HDR_2.jpg
20191009_090359_HDR_2.jpg
20191009_092549_HDR_4.jpg
20191009_110244_HDR_2.jpg
20191007_091710_HDR.jpg
20191007_145034_HDR_2.jpg
20191009_112546_HDR_2.jpg

Last edited:

Disone

Original Poster
Here we go with some parade pics. First the Spooky Boo Parade. Definitely my favorite. I heard the Japenese don't really understand Halloween, but honestly, based on this parade I think they figured it out okay.

20191007_104447_HDR.jpg

Hello Mickey. This is him prior to the onstage costume change. Think Elsa in the stage productions of Frozen.

Okay so now on to the main parade of the afteroon, Dream Up. The table on this float rocked, and as it did, the items on the table would slide down hill. Also note how everyone sits. So nice, even five persons back, I had a clear view.

20191007_134155_HDR.jpg

The floats are are big as they look. And just loaded with details, many of which are moving/animated.
20191007_133813_2-1.jpg

Little bit of an odd choice, the Aladdin float replaced Aladdin and Jasmine with Donald and Daisy. In the distance you can see a Big Hero Six float coming too!

20191007_135200.jpg

Then finally Dream Lights. A Direct copy but modernized Disney's Electrical Parade.
20191009_194903_HDR_2.jpg

It did have one trick from Spectro Magic in it, the finale floats would turn all white and then back to color again.

And now the same float......

bsiev1977

I’d love get to those parks someday.

i was super impressed with video I saw of the parks in the aftermath of the big earthquake years back. Everyone sitting around calmly, making almost no noise. Way different than things would be in the States here

justintheharris

I agree with most of what you said. I still like Disneyland California the best though ;)
In my opinion, Tokyo DisneySea is among Disney's best parks but I wouldn't say it's THE best but it seems I'm in the minority on that one.

Disone

Original Poster
So wow, I just realized I started this off by saying this was going to be a little trip report. I guess Little may have been a misnomer. Sorry about that, but here we go with the most anticipated part of the visit...... Tokyo DisneySea!!

TDS was the most anticipated part of visit to the Tokyo Disney Resort and I purposely went to Land first because I want to save the Seas for last. It is a spectacular park. The level of detail is simply unmatched. This is just a small part of the Lost River Delta.

Indiana Jones Adventure is near by this area, and was a little bit of a disappointment to me. Not sure if it was the Japenese or not, but the timing of the sound seemed off. Overall I like Disneyland's version better. This and Raging Spirits were the only two attractions in Disney Sea that did not impress me in one way or another. For Indiana Jones, again I think it was just the language, but even the music didn't seem timed right, but that happens at Disneyland too. For Raging Spirits, it is honestly a beautiful coaster to look at, but the ride experience was less then exciting. Yes it has a loop but honestly, its a snooze fest of a coaster.

The inside of the Volcano is HUGE! And the Nautilus looks ready to depart. Note the person on the bridge just to give you an Idea of how big this area is.

But the Volcano isn't the only major draw in the middle of the park, just behind it is the absolutely HUGE Mermaid Lagoon. In addition to a small coaster and ride on the outside, the inside is literally a theme park within a theme park, complete with three rides, a large playground on the scale of the Boneyard at DAK or even TSI at MK, a large quick service restaurant, and a cluster of shops. Oh an large theater show done in the round.

TDS (10).jpeg
TDS (8).jpeg

But the again, the level of theme and detail at the park is just Epic. They built a 1930's era cruise ship, JUST BECAUSE, it made the port feel complete. Okay maybe it blocked the view of the outside world too keeping the level of Immersion intact. That level of immersion, in this park is second to none. I term I made up applies here, which I call Transmersive: it Transports and Immerses to a time and a place that is not here and now, and does so very successfully.

TDS (1).jpeg
TDS (4).jpeg

I did like TDS Tower of Terror very much. For the record I still like the orginal at DHS the best, and I have not been on the one in Paris. I have been on DCA's original and now Breakout. TDS Hightower version is my favorite of the three. The building itself is stunning to go along with the rest of the park, but the preshow.... omg, the preshow! (Speaking of preshows, TDS now has Soaring, they call it Fantastic Flight, and it has THE most impressive preshow. I strongly considered doing it again just for the preshow. It takes living art to a new level.) Back to tower, the Harrison Hightower story is both fun, mysterious, and easy to understand.

TDS (2).jpeg

Just another View of the park.....

TDS (9).jpeg

And an unexpected delight is Sinbad's Storybook Adventure. This is TDS answer to It's a Small World. I fell in love it. It was a must do for me. Its musical, on the scale of IaSW, but with surprisingly advance mini audio-animatronics, and a cute and fun story.

TDS (6).jpeg

And Nemo Sea Rider was cute. I thought it was a one and done, and I enjoy it. Because we had time and there was no line, we ending up doing it a second time and surprise!!!! it was NOT the same. Like Star Tours, it has different segments.

I also really love Aquatopia, which I did not think I would, but it was fun and simple. And it help then none of the three times I rode it had a line. Not sure I would if it did either, but since it did not, it was totally worth it.

But there was a part of the park that did not impress me. The Entertainment. And I really wanted it to because I had heard so many great things, but honestly, I have watch the Harbor Shows on youtube, and to me they came across a bit as a few boats driving in a circle. In person..... yeah, the same. Boats Driving in Circles. It is kind of like DAK's Rivers of Light: Pretty to look at, graceful, and somewhat boring. Scratch that, just boring, not somewhat.

Fantasmic I also watched on line, and for me it was a real head scratcher as I watched it on youtube. In person I will say it absolutely translated better and I rather enjoyed it, but it did not blow me away.

We saw some of the other shows in the park as well. Song of Mirage was enjoyable, and the big head liner, Big Band Beats, was very well done. Big Band has, well, the Big Band, the live voices, and all the talent you could want. But I did not connect with it. I was expecting some Disney Heart Tugging Moments. While it did have outstanding musical talent from beginning to end, it did not have much Disney in it. And here I began to realize something about Disney Seas.

DisneySeas is a bit lacking in the Disney. Oh it is there for sure, there ARE exceptions but for the most part Seas is like the countries in World Showplace and the Disney is not really front and center, is is more under the surface if at all. I found myself wanting more Disney. I don't know why, I don't feel this way at DAK or World Showcase, but I wanted more Disney. I found myself missing the Disney.

Early in the thread, someone mention being in the minority of liking DCA more. I might be there in that Minority too. I have always thought DCA was an underrated park. The flaws were valid for sure, but even at opening, it had three e-tickets, Soaring, GRR, and Screaming, A actual Mountain, and Massive Parade. It had more to offer, then DHS had 5 years after it opened and same could be argued about DAK. And then the DCA 2.0 happened. It really is a great park. I think at the end I do prefer TDS over DCA but I do find DCA much more of a Disney like theme park. Still the line up of top notch attractions at TDS is impressive. And their latest expansion does seem to be focused on adding more Disney to the park, which I think it sorely needs.

So I land on DCA just barely losing to TDS, I expected TDS to be my favorite of the Tokyo Parks, and it was not, I did find myself gravitating back to Tokyo Disneyland. I happily went there on day 3 and while I could have park hopped, I did not. And on Day four, I started my day back in Disneyland, had to do Hunny Hunt once more, and Ride and Go Seek, oh and yes, the Western River Railroad (because I love trains) and after that THEN I park hopped to Disney Sea.

Disneyland California still remains my favorite over all, Walt's Original Magic Kingdom is still has the best mixed and largest variety of attractions of any Disney Park I have been in. The Walts personal touch, which while is probably totally in my mind, I can totally feel. I do feel like TDL did edge out MK, but not by the landslide I expected. But there is no Denying the better and stronger focus on Show and Meaningful Guest Experience at both Tokyo Disney Parks, but special shout out to the cast at Tokyo Disneyland. Disneyland may be the happiness place on earth, and MK may be the most magical, but by leaps and bounds, Tokyo Disneyland is the friendliest place on earth. So go ahead and give them a double wave, it'll make their day, and give you just a little more to smile about.

I can not wait to go again.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Tokyo DisneySea is truly a work of art, every square inch is dripping with top notch theming and detail. Even the weaker areas are more elaborate than much of the other parks.

It was built at a time when what made a park a Disney park was not placing characters on everything but by creating original, highly immersive environments that no one else would attempt at that time.

There was a time when a New Orleans themed land, a pirates boat ride or a haunted house had nothing to do with Disney or had a Disney feel. But they belonged at Disneyland because they were original, immersive and outrageously high quality. This applies to Tokyo DisneySea as a whole, it’s Disney because it was built with the old school rules of what made Disney the best in the industry.

Alas, even DisneySea is not immune with the infusion of characters. It was inevitable, but at least a proper budget is apparent in the crafting of detailed environments for those characters. Nothing looks cheap like, say, certain areas of Pixar Pier or Hollywoodland in DCA.

Disneyland will always be my sentimental favorite for it being Walt’s and an impressive attraction/entertainment roster. However, the highest quality Disney experience for me is still the two parks in Tokyo.

I love how you call it the Friendliest Place on Earth. That should really be TDL’s slogan!

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Oh and thank you for the pictures! Made me very happy to see them.

im sorry if I missed it in your report, but did you get a chance to visit the Tokyo DisneySea Hotel Mira Costa?

Disone

Original Poster
Tokyo DisneySea is truly a work of art, every square inch is dripping with top notch theming and detail. Even the weaker areas are more elaborate than much of the other parks.

It was built at a time when what made a park a Disney park was not placing characters on everything but by creating original, highly immersive environments that no one else would attempt at that time.

There was a time when a New Orleans themed land, a pirates boat ride or a haunted house had nothing to do with Disney or had a Disney feel. But they belonged at Disneyland because they were original, immersive and outrageously high quality. This applies to Tokyo DisneySea as a whole, it’s Disney because it was built with the old school rules of what made Disney the best in the industry.

Alas, even DisneySea is not immune with the infusion of characters. It was inevitable, but at least a proper budget is apparent in the crafting of detailed environments for those characters. Nothing looks cheap like, say, certain areas of Pixar Pier or Hollywoodland in DCA.

Disneyland will always be my sentimental favorite for it being Walt’s and an impressive attraction/entertainment roster. However, the highest quality Disney experience for me is still the two parks in Tokyo.

I love how you call it the Friendliest Place on Earth. That should really be TDL’s slogan!
Truly the friendliness of the staff stood out to me. More than that it wasn't plastic or fake. It was genuine and sincere friendliness. I don't disagree with anything that you said up above, but I just didn't connect as strongly with DisneySea as I thought. I do suspect however that would have a repeat visit I will connect to it much stronger. Sometimes you just need to get a first visit out of the way to put your expectations in line and then you're much better to enjoy it on the subsequent and I strongly suspect that will happen to me with DisneySea. It was definitely a long list of attractions of that part I was very impressed with and you're absolutely right it's level of detail is simply unmatched by anything else I've ever experienced.

Disone

Original Poster
Oh and thank you for the pictures! Made me very happy to see them.

im sorry if I missed it in your report, but did you get a chance to visit the Tokyo DisneySea Hotel Mira Costa?
You didn't miss it. I didn't speak to them specifically but yes I absolutely did get to visit both. I don't even know where to begin on those two. What a set of two absolutely impressive hotels. I'm going to have to lean towards the Disneyland Hotel here. I don't really know how to say this hotel
20191009_074800_HDR~2.jpg
20191009_083340_HDR.jpg
20191009_083610_HDR~2.jpg
20191009_075718_HDR.jpg
20191010_114102_HDR.jpg
20191010_114843_HDR.jpg
20191010_114134_HDR-1~2.jpg
looks at the Grand Floridian Lobby and honestly laughs at it. That Lobby is simply stunning, the chandeliers hanging from the ceiling..... I honestly can't find the right words to describe them. The carousels inside the lobby. The domes on the ceiling. Again not sure where to begin or not sure where to end. And the hotel MiraCosta, I mean what? Stunning!

Animaniac93-98

DisneySeas is a bit lacking in the Disney. Oh it is there for sure, there ARE exceptions but for the most part Seas is like the countries in World Showplace and the Disney is not really front and center, is is more under the surface if at all. I found myself wanting more Disney. I don't know why, I don't feel this way at DAK or World Showcase, but I wanted more Disney. I found myself missing the Disney.

I find this to be an odd criticism of the park given the number of rides and areas based explicitly on Disney movies like Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Toy Story, Finding Nemo and others. I saw several characters walking around on my last visit and they're featured in all the shows as you mentioned. Even Mediterranean Harbor's music loop includes "Bella Notte" and "I've Got No Strings". The park also has an annual Summer event with the characters from the Pirates franchise.

DisneySea was built like EPCOT Center. It was more "adult" and not focused so much on synergy. If anything, doing things like changing Storm Rider to Finding Nemo weakens the theme of certain areas, but that's just my opinion.

It's also arguable that the real star characters of the park are Duffy and Friends, who are everywhere thanks to how many people are willing to buy and carry them around, even on rainy days or thrill rides!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom