Disney ( World ) vs. Disney ( Land )? - Jim Hills Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose Marie

They are good points and it's true that a billion goes a lot further when it has to be used for 1 sq mile vs 50, but he forgets that a lot of these infrastructure upgrades were needed a long time ago and that these other improvements are of questionable value.

The Fantasyland expansion project? Depending on who you talk to, that's $380 - $400 million right there (I'm told that the $250 - $300 million ceiling that had originally been set on this project got blown through once Tom Staggs, the newly installed Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts decided to swap those elaborately themed Cinderella & Sleeping Beauty meet-and-greet areas out for a Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride). Now fold in all of the design & construction costs associated with taking that never-finished wing of Disney's Pop Century hotel and then turning that abandoned worksite into the highly themed Disney's Art of Animation Resort PLUS those Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa that DVC is building right now. Then factor in the cost of all of the road widening that's been going on lately along Buena Vista Drive between DHS's back entrance and Victory Way, the Golden Oak at Walt Disney World Resort project, the reimagining of Test Track, that new "Phineas and Ferb & You: A Brand New Reality" at Downtown Disney, the revamp of the Magic Kingdom's "The Magic, the Memories and You!" show, the costs involved with developing those "Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom" & "Agent P's World Showcase Adventure" games ... and we're now up to a billion dollars worth of additions being added / improvements being made at The Walt Disney World Resort without even breaking a sweat.
Fantasyland expansion? That's fine and much needed. The thought that Staggs was single-handedly responsible for pouring 100m in and saving it? Nah. Art of Animation? Finally fixing an abandoned site that was left to rot for 5 years. GF Villas? Yay, more DVC, we can always use more of those. Golden Oak? Rousing success I hear. Reimagining of Test Track? LOL. Revamp MMaY? Double LOL. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and Agent P's World Showcase Adventure? Something that distracts from the fact that the MK lacks recent attractions and something that's a retheme (pardon me, "reimagining") of an existing attraction.

Also, gating the MK Rose Garden for FP+ viewing? Yes, I'm sure that's a grand expense there.

menamechris

Jim Hill needs to just stop talking sometimes. To entertain the idea that DVC, Golden Oak, etc. are not being done for greedy corporate purposes is laughable. Anyone will tell you the only reason why DVC is being done is because they can turn a profit in record time off of them. It has nothing to do with enhancing the guest experience - it's about cold hard profit margins - that they then pocket. Poor Jim, he seems to get even more clueless as the years go by...

njDizFan

This article ranges from the obvious to the absurd. How he can possibily say that we already got our "DCA makeover" at WDW, that is insane. Equating FLE+AoA+Golden Oak+GF DVC+TT refurb+Agent P/Sorcerers+MMY is = DCA Makeover does not work. Sure we got a few nice rides, a couple of interactive games and some hotel rooms but you cannot begin to compare that to the progress in the west coast.

There's a big difference between spending 1 billion wisely(state of the art, headlining attractions) and spending 1 billion the way TDO does business

Millionaire2K

You will not spend the same amount of cash to fix up 1 house as you would 2.
So to say they spread the same amount of cash over a much larger amount of land is a stupid argument. For size reason WDW should have 3-4 times the amount of cash spent then DL. WDW makes much more money than DL so they should invest more not the same.

Each property at WDW should be looked at as if the others were not there. Not building any major rides in EP, HS and AK except for every 3-4 years is sick.

jt04

Jim Hill needs to just stop talking sometimes. To entertain the idea that DVC, Golden Oak, etc. are not being done for greedy corporate purposes is laughable. Anyone will tell you the only reason why DVC is being done is because they can turn a profit in record time off of them. It has nothing to do with enhancing the guest experience - it's about cold hard profit margins - that they then pocket. Poor Jim, he seems to get even more clueless as the years go by...

Who the heck is "they" anyway? I hear people refer to this mysterious group all the time but never a good description. I want specific facts to solve this grand mystery. And please don't throw the 1% at us or some other unthinking talking point.

tomman710

Who the heck is "they" anyway? I hear people refer to this mysterious group all the time but never a good description. I want facts to solve this grand mystery.

The "they" they are talking about is TDO ... their bonuses are tied to profit margin.

This is all research-able ... I'm sure a vet like you can find it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Mildly disingenuous of Jim to compare the monies spent on CarsLand and a renovation at one hotel to TDO spending on a new Value resort, DVC and then the FLE, regardless of how much the SDMT raised the budget. But, Disney will undoubtedly enjoy the article.....

jt04

Yup.

We're jealous that the money that should be going to improve the parks is going to inflate already inflated bonuses.

TWDC has already proven they are willing to invest as they deem necessary. Obviously they do not have to bow to whatever is in TDO's contracts. Disney is opening two new venues and countless smaller adds to the MK in the next few months. In addition, they are building Pandora at DAK. In addition they have expanded WDI's facilities and brought in new WDI management to oversee whatever it is they are cooking up.

And we are still talking about a management structure that no longer exists the way it once did? Sorry but I am not that foolish.

twebber55

You will not spend the same amount of cash to fix up 1 house as you would 2.
So to say they spread the same amount of cash over a much larger amount of land is a stupid argument. For size reason WDW should have 3-4 times the amount of cash spent then DL. WDW makes much more money than DL so they should invest more not the same.

Each property at WDW should be looked at as if the others were not there. Not building any major rides in EP, HS and AK except for every 3-4 years is sick.
agree and i dont know why this isnt brought up more....they should be doubling and tripling investment in orlando

Atomicmickey

Am I a 'fanbois' because I could give a rip about DVC? I go to Disney for the parks.
Sometimes I stay on property, sometimes off. But I go there for the parks.
Don't most people?

I appreciate some of the upgrades we've been getting--Main Street is looking fine!
And I do view the Fantasyland expansion as a big deal, but it ain't a potter-swatter,
and my beloved Epcot needs lovin' big-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom