Disney World needs major updating

Thepuma

should have comped your hotel room

Well, we got $200 to spend in the park, 2 x Breakfasts $60 and 4 cocktails in the bar $80...$340 Compensation.

We could have pushed for more I guess but to be honest, we spent hardly any time in the room. We never got in from HHN till gone 2am..we were up at 6am for Breakfast and getting I'm early to the park.

I was also mindful that the main reason we chose Hard Rock was for its location, and the Express Passes...which between us on those 2 days would have cost almost $700 alone.

All in all we did well out of it, but I wouldn't have been happy with the room if I wasn't using the parks....it was very very poor for what is Universals premier hotel.

Smiley/OCD

I just got back from a 7-day vacation to Disney World. I noticed many things while at Disney that ruined the experience. I hadn't been to World since 2015 before this trip, and I had only visited Disneyland recently before this trip. There's a bunch of issues that Disney World has that I want to discuss and rant about, and hopefully get others to write their opinion too. This is going to be a very long post, so if you read this fully and reply I appreciate it!

Stepping into the parks for the first time in almost 8 years was something special. However I immediately noticed and was blown away at how poorly maintained the parks are. I understand Magic Kingdom and their other parks are classic parks and home to classic and original rides such as the Carousel of Progress, Haunted Mansion, etc. Still, Disney should not be able to get away with how poorly they maintain Magic Kingdom and their other parks.

Fantasyland needs immediate attention. For starters, "its a small world," has seen better days. There are parts of the ride where the red carpet flooring that the set pieces sit on is ripped, where you can visibly see parts of the carpet just missing, threaded, and dirty. There's visible rust throughout the ride, and the boats look like they haven't been cleaned in decades. The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in Adventureland is so poorly maintained that it's not even funny. All you hear when near or walking by the ride is squeaking each time the carpets go up and down. The Haunted Mansion cannot even turn smoothly. In Disneyland, the ride seems somewhat more maintained. At Disney World, the Doom Buggies cannot even fully turn without jolting and stopping for a quick second before completing the turn. I've also noticed an increase in rides breaking down, temporarily closing, or stopping mid-ride due to technical issues.

While I was at Disney World, Space Mountain was temporarily closed 2.5/7 days I was there, and when It wasn't closed for a full day, It was up for only a few hours before closing yet again. I was finally able to ride Space Mountain during "Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party," and the promised "pitch black" lighting wasn't the case. They seemed to have left on the maintenance tower lights, ruining the effect. As far as the ride goes, It's embarrassing how clunky it is. While I understand It's an old ride, you would think they would update the track to create a smoother experience. I find the 1 seat per row setup uncomfortable, cramped, and not even comparable (in a bad way) to Disneyland's Space Mountain.

The People Mover in Tomorrowland broke down while I was on it to the point where we had to walk off the ride after sitting there for almost an hour. It seemed as though the Cast Members couldn't figure out what happened to the ride either. The Peoplemover remained closed for the entirety of the next day too, along with Space Mountain. I'm not going to go into this much detail about the other three parks, but let's just say EPCOT was a huge letdown, too. The amount of construction that was going on at EPCOT was actually insane.

The entire front of the park was covered in walls/fences blocking the view of Spaceship Earth. I understand construction is necessary, however, I feel as though Disney isn't working on anything people want to be added. Instead, they continue building shops, and (in my opinion) unnecessary and unfitting "attractions" such as Journey of Water. It's sad to see how Disney seemingly won't invest money into new expansions of parks. I think Cosmic Rewind, Pandora land, Star Wars land and Tron are amazing additions since I've been to Disney, but...they just don't hold that same magic original areas like Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and whatnot have. Everything seems to be built upon multi-billion dollar IP's no one asked for. For the final thing I'm going to comment, which I think is the worst yet, on my last day I had been talking to a Cast Member. He stated that he tested Tron before It opened and obviously, the whole purpose of testing a ride is finding flaws before the ride opens to the public. What he told me was that if you're in the front seat(s) of Tron, you cannot see details of the ride because the timing is off. Disney was told this by him, and other cast members and they never fixed it.
Didn’t you see?? All is good!! Olivia Rodrigo is taking over for Steven Tyler and the boys on RnRC…(and it has NOTHING to do with Steven’s vocal chords)…

TalkToEthan

It's supposed to be like Matterhorn, not DL's Space Mountain.

“supposed to be”. ???

more like designers knew there was a working steel tube coaster out west and decided to model at least in part Space Mountain after it. Designers didn’t have to but chose to use that type of coaster

Disstevefan1

We all agree Disney World needs updating, the problem is the theme park business is run like a REAL BUSINESS and they control cost and ensure profits, margins and return on investments.

Unlike D+ and their movie business that are allowed to lose money on an ongoing basis.

cjkeating

I just got back from a 7-day vacation to Disney World. I noticed many things while at Disney that ruined the experience. I hadn't been to World since 2015 before this trip, and I had only visited Disneyland recently before this trip. There's a bunch of issues that Disney World has that I want to discuss and rant about, and hopefully get others to write their opinion too. This is going to be a very long post, so if you read this fully and reply I appreciate it!

Stepping into the parks for the first time in almost 8 years was something special. However I immediately noticed and was blown away at how poorly maintained the parks are. I understand Magic Kingdom and their other parks are classic parks and home to classic and original rides such as the Carousel of Progress, Haunted Mansion, etc. Still, Disney should not be able to get away with how poorly they maintain Magic Kingdom and their other parks.

Fantasyland needs immediate attention. For starters, "its a small world," has seen better days. There are parts of the ride where the red carpet flooring that the set pieces sit on is ripped, where you can visibly see parts of the carpet just missing, threaded, and dirty. There's visible rust throughout the ride, and the boats look like they haven't been cleaned in decades. The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in Adventureland is so poorly maintained that it's not even funny. All you hear when near or walking by the ride is squeaking each time the carpets go up and down. The Haunted Mansion cannot even turn smoothly. In Disneyland, the ride seems somewhat more maintained. At Disney World, the Doom Buggies cannot even fully turn without jolting and stopping for a quick second before completing the turn. I've also noticed an increase in rides breaking down, temporarily closing, or stopping mid-ride due to technical issues.

While I was at Disney World, Space Mountain was temporarily closed 2.5/7 days I was there, and when It wasn't closed for a full day, It was up for only a few hours before closing yet again. I was finally able to ride Space Mountain during "Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party," and the promised "pitch black" lighting wasn't the case. They seemed to have left on the maintenance tower lights, ruining the effect. As far as the ride goes, It's embarrassing how clunky it is. While I understand It's an old ride, you would think they would update the track to create a smoother experience. I find the 1 seat per row setup uncomfortable, cramped, and not even comparable (in a bad way) to Disneyland's Space Mountain.

The People Mover in Tomorrowland broke down while I was on it to the point where we had to walk off the ride after sitting there for almost an hour. It seemed as though the Cast Members couldn't figure out what happened to the ride either. The Peoplemover remained closed for the entirety of the next day too, along with Space Mountain. I'm not going to go into this much detail about the other three parks, but let's just say EPCOT was a huge letdown, too. The amount of construction that was going on at EPCOT was actually insane.

The entire front of the park was covered in walls/fences blocking the view of Spaceship Earth. I understand construction is necessary, however, I feel as though Disney isn't working on anything people want to be added. Instead, they continue building shops, and (in my opinion) unnecessary and unfitting "attractions" such as Journey of Water. It's sad to see how Disney seemingly won't invest money into new expansions of parks. I think Cosmic Rewind, Pandora land, Star Wars land and Tron are amazing additions since I've been to Disney, but...they just don't hold that same magic original areas like Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and whatnot have. Everything seems to be built upon multi-billion dollar IP's no one asked for. For the final thing I'm going to comment, which I think is the worst yet, on my last day I had been talking to a Cast Member. He stated that he tested Tron before It opened and obviously, the whole purpose of testing a ride is finding flaws before the ride opens to the public. What he told me was that if you're in the front seat(s) of Tron, you cannot see details of the ride because the timing is off. Disney was told this by him, and other cast members and they never fixed it.
I'd suggest you share this with Disney, as much as it is nice to see other peoples views yours are pretty common with many people on here but unfortunately posting it here won't make any difference.

TrainsOfDisney

Here’s an example of the current maintenance standards at the WDW Resort.

96ABEE01-9035-4A68-9324-C8A175B8CC9E.jpeg

NickMaio

I'd suggest you share this with Disney, as much as it is nice to see other peoples views yours are pretty common with many people on here but unfortunately posting it here won't make any difference.
Not really true....
This is one of the many forums that Dis monitors.

It's free marketing feedback.

Robbiem

I mean, you're almost entirely correct. The only part that I didn't completely follow was the walls/fencing. Construction is arguably a good sign?

The people mover has been notoriously fiddly since at least 2012. I have been on exactly zero trips where it was not down part of the time. I am not a ride engineer, but it does not seem like all that complicated a ride. Not compared to a coaster anyway.

not making excuses but for something like the peoplemover the age of the attraction could mean that parts aren’t readily available

I know from when I worked on the London Tube that sometimes things from the early electronic era of late 60s to the 80s can be hard to fix when they brake because no one makes the right components anymore. Ironically older mechanical era kit was easier to maintain because its much easier to build gears, relays and other physical components than it is to build germanium semi conductors and find floppy disks and tape drives

TrainsOfDisney

We were there for a week in June and had a wonderful time. I felt relaxed and refreshed when we got home. I'd go back tomorrow if I could afford it. <shrug>
I’m having a great time as well - today was great! So much fun. But I’m noticing lots of cuts. Did you not notice any poor maintenance or budget cuts?

NickMaio

We were there for a week in June and had a wonderful time. I felt relaxed and refreshed when we got home. I'd go back tomorrow if I could afford it. <shrug>
We feel the same........
It's not perfect, my little guys had the time of their little lives.
As parents, it hard to focus on the negatives when they are bursting with joy and fun.

We are planning our next July trip, we just got back 3 weeks ago.

John park hopper

As long as people continue to go WDW with their rose colored glasses on and they see everything at WDW is wonderful those in charge will forgo maintenance and repair for profits.

Walter Elias Disney

Disney executives believe that spending money at Disneyland is far more important than Walt Disney World. Close attention to how the upkeep of the building/rides/grounds will always be in the favor of Disneyland. I know first hand... Walt Disney World has opportunities to update/maintain their attractions, but always do the short end maintenance before they close and do a full refurbishment. Executive know that WDW continues to bring in high dollar profit without continued maintenance...so why bother? Forget the ongoing battle with DeSantis as the problem...this is an internal decision. EPIC Universe will have a major impact on Walt Disney World. With the amount of new hotels being built and the type of thrill rides they are producing ...it will put the fear into Disney Executives. Now we understand the big announcements and hope they tried to produce during their latest announcements for new updates across the parks...We have been here before and numerous "Blue Sky" initiatives will be scratched. What will be first to be scratched?

Last edited:

lordsigma

EPIC universe will be a big thing for Universal but the idea that it’s going to put Disney out of business is kind of silly I’m sure people were saying the same thing when IoA was built. It’s not and has never been all about thrill rides. If it was then Six Flags would be dominant as its all thrill rides for much less cost. Universal is not without its own issues and there are weak areas of particularly the original studios park. I just visited Disney and I see no evidence of this supposed decline in attendance or death spiral. I think for many on this and other threads they’re going in directions many don’t like and there’s kind of now this Disney derangement attitude and Universal can do no wrong. Obviously everyone’s entitled to feel that way who does and spend their money where they wish, but in this industry its really about personal preferences and as long as people are going the parks aren’t going anywhere. Obviously Disney is not without its issues company wide and wading into political controversy certainly doesn’t help. But I actually expected to see a decline and in contrast when I went to MK on Wednesday it was the busiest I’ve seen in a while.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
EPIC universe will be a big thing for Universal but the idea that it’s going to put Disney out of business is kind of silly I’m sure people were saying the same thing when IoA was built. It’s not and has never been all about thrill rides. If it was then Six Flags would be dominant as its all thrill rides for much less cost. Universal is not without its own issues and there are weak areas of particularly the original studios park. I just visited Disney and I see no evidence of this supposed decline in attendance or death spiral. I think for many on this and other threads they’re going in directions many don’t like and there’s kind of now this Disney derangement attitude and Universal can do no wrong. Obviously everyone’s entitled to feel that way who does and spend their money where they wish, but in this industry its really about personal preferences and as long as people are going the parks aren’t going anywhere.

No one knows exactly what the price structure will be for admission to the new park and its lands, plenty of rumors, but that is where it stops. It is obvious that there's going to be competition for both guests and employees.

lordsigma

No one knows exactly what the price structure will be for admission to the new park and its lands, plenty of rumors, but that is where it stops. It is obvious that there's going to be competition for both guests and employees.
There’s surely going to be competition and there’s of course going to be a surge of interest and a honeymoon period especially when it first opens and it certainly will have an impact on the market down here - I’m not disputing that. But there’s a difference between that and having such a massive effect that it threatens WDW’s profitability. There’s plenty of a market in Orlando for all these parks. There’s a reason they’re both here - because they can indirectly feed off each other. Most people who visit the theme parks aren’t into the history as much and don’t have the strong and nostalgia based feelings that many people here do about how things have changed over the years - for better or worse. For many its simply based on which IP they prefer, where they’ve always been, cost, what’s most convenient for where they’re staying and many people go to both resorts.

Weather_Lady

We spent a night in Hard Rock Hotel during HHN last week...I have to say, it is a very very poor hotel now.

Our room, which we paid $550 was absolutely Disgusting...furniture battered to hell, hairs from previous occupants in the sink, dirt and stains all over the bed throw, dust everywhere on the surfaces and air vents- it was like a Travelodge.

We did take photos and spoke to the manager, he agreed it was not acceptable- and to his credit he did sort us out - he could not move us to a different room as they were fully booked (opening weekend of HHN) but he did compensate us with drinks, meals and a big credit to spend on Universal Merchandise in the parks (which we were due to buy anyway) so he salvaged the situation.

But the hotel is in poor shape (the rooms) and he did say they are having a major refurb starting next year, so maybe things will improve- but I wouldn't pay their prices at the moment for a Travelodge/Rosen Inn quality room.
Sorry to stray off-topic, but FWIW, I agree. We were at Hard Rock during President's Day week February 2021, and had such a thoroughly horrible and unpleasant stay -- with "guest recovery" offers so pitiful that they just added insult to injury -- that we've sworn off of it forever.

It's a shame, because every other Universal Orlando vacation we'd taken previously (including two others with stays at HRH) had been wonderful. This one was characterized by run-down accommodations and callous customer service, at an unforgivably high price point ($900/night for a "Future Rock Star" suite). Our room was so unlivable that after 3 sleepless nights of relentless noise (steps away from the lobby and the entire bank of elevators, with zero soundproofing), and 3 solid days of construction workers standing on scaffolding outside our windows and hammering against the walls of our shabby room, we checked out early and moved to another hotel to try to get some sleep and salvage what little was left of our vacation and our dignity! More than 2 years later, I'm [obviously] still not over it.

That being said, I know the same problems and maintenance/upkeep issues exist with some hotels and rooms at WDW. I've now learned my lesson, and these days, I do a _lot_ more homework before choosing a hotel, regardless of the destination, so I can adjust my expectations and/or try to avoid some of those pitfalls.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom