Disney World in August?

Andrea Garcia

I'm going the first week of August, I know it will be pretty busy but I want to know some of your experiences while at the parks during that time of year. And any kind of tips on planning out days and stuff like that will help a lot as well! :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I go every year during that time. The first two weeks will be busy, but as you reach the end of the month, the parks start to really see a drop in crowds.

It will be hot. It will rain almost every afternoon around 3 - 5 pm, so be sure to pack a poncho or raingear.

As far as planning tips, I always take an early flight in and a late flight out of MCO, so I can squeeze in two extra "half days" at the parks.

Upvote 0

DVCPluto

Busier times have longer park hours, too, so you'll be able to stretch your days. Sometimes when we are there during non-peak times, I miss all the excitement of those late nights.

Fans with water bottles keep little ones entertained and cooler - especially in a stroller (more control over the spray.). But not everyone is a fan of those.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

As others have stated it will be hot, as in Tarzan, Africa hot. The crowds go way down the last 2 weeks as the schools go back into session. I highly recommend getting an early start each day and taking a break each afternoon. Also mix up your attractions and visit the hall of the presidents, Country bears, COP etc. so you get some cooling and sitting down time. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

Yep......Hot Hot Hot is the word of the day during an August visit to DIsneyworld. You will enjoy yourself in spite of the heat. I agree with @zurgandfriend ...start your day early and leave the park at the height of the heat. Go back to your resort and enjoy the pool. The pool will be wet, but the water is not particularly refreshing or cool as the air temp will keep it like bath water. Take advantage of the air-conditioned attractions and stores. You will find yourself walking down Main Street through the stores in order to stay cool. I always take a spray bottle and be sure to keep hydrated. Once you start to feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated so drink....drink...drink...water is the best. Purchase Frogg Toggs to keep cool around your neck...they really do help. And yes....it will rain in the middle of the day....I alway found that the rain just made it hotter and more steamy. Now that you know it will be hot in August....Have a wonderful and Magical time! :cat:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bocko57

Don't let the HEAT, HUMIDITY, and CANNED-SARDINE PARKS keep you away. To combat these elements, remember these tips. Drink plenty of water (repeat many many many times), wear light loose clothes and good walking shoes, take your time through the parks, did I mention drink plenty of water, sit down and take some breaks, and relax and try to remember you are in the most magical place in the world. And have a great time.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Adding to the other sage advice to go early in the day, stay hydrated and cool (love those misting fans), you need plenty of sunscreen. That Florida sun is brutal in the summer and I've gotten crispy fried in just a couple of hours after forgetting to put on plenty of sunscreen. And I live in Florida.m Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Not fun and will never return then. Like literally DH and I have played a game of "would you rather..." and we decided that we'd rather never go back to WDW than go in August. It's horrendously hot, like excruciating, crowded as sin especially in the beginning of the month, and then hot and crowded some more. Sorry I had to vent.
I highly recommend that you plan pool and rest time, as well as a lot of night time park visits. Going slow while hydrated will make for a good trip.

Upvote 0

CheshireCat12

Been in August twice and yes it's HOT and HUMID and CROWDED- take advantage of the slightly cooler morning and late evening temps to hit the parks. Observe EMH times! Get free water from any QS that sells fountain soda. Lots and lots of sunscreen. Carry your ponchos at all times. I agree about the pools- I wish they would not be heated at all in the summer, they would be cooler. A lifeguard told me the water temp was 88 and the outside was about 92 so not so refreshing but it is relaxing to float.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
A note about the misting fans...

Don't bother with the ones that Disney sells. They are terrible quality.

mIQedrIQ6TwqLBHGAL4DG5g.jpg

The firm blade versions you can find at other stores (and other parks like Universal and Legoland) work much better.

Like these...

T-UF-127-1__Mist-Fan.jpg

Upvote 0

kamr211

I cant believe no one mentioned the heat!;)
Get up early, pack misting fans and freeze cold washcloths.
Wear light clothing, tie hair up, good shoes, lots of drinks.
Hit the AC attractions.
Take a midday swim break.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

As others have said, the weather is wonderful. At 6 am.

Yes, is is hot and humid, but 3 of the 4 parks make this weather manageable. Just not DAK. I hate DAK in the summer. So do the animals. So you see none as you bake and sweat at 9 am. You then call it a day at 10:30. The other 3 parks allow you to make it to at least 1 until calling it a day.

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

A note about the misting fans...

Don't bother with the ones that Disney sells. They are terrible quality.

mIQedrIQ6TwqLBHGAL4DG5g.jpg

The firm blade versions you can find at other stores (and other parks like Universal and Legoland) work much better.

Like these...

T-UF-127-1__Mist-Fan.jpg

That fan/spray-bottle is what made the many summer trips I have take to WDW bearable. You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon or at your local pharmacy. Best thing is to fill the bottle at night and leave it in the fridge in your room, or even drop a couple ice cubes in it in the morning to make it extra cool. And don't forget to bring extra batteries!

The great thing is that a lot of the rides have covered outdoor queues or indoor queues with AC (something amusement parks up north have never seemed to cotton on to). Plan to hit some of the more exposed rides in the morning (used to get a lovely sunburn waiting for Dumbo before the refurb) while it's somewhat on the cooler side and hit up rides like PotC or shows like the Tiki Room or Philharmagic when the heat starts to climb.

Upvote 0
Also going for the first three weeks of August. We have been twice in August. Once in October and once in Feb.

When we have been and the parks have been so quiet we kind of felt that some of the atmosphere was gone.

October was my favourite time due to Halloween horror nights at UO. But August is also amazing

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom