Disney World for adults with Autism?

sofiathesecond

Hi! I'm starting to plan a trip to WDW, hoping to go late 2016/early 2017. Currently, I'm planning to stay a week, hopefully getting a room in Port Orleans if they're not booked up. The thing is, I'm autistic and this will be the first time I've taken a trip by myself, so I'm wondering if anyone here can give me any specific advice. All the information I've found is for parents with autistic children, so it doesn't apply to me. Is there anything in particular I should know as I'm planning? I don't need or want special treatment, but I feel like I should inform them of my condition so that they're aware in case I ever do need help with anything while I'm there. Are there any good information resources for ASD adults? Books? Websites? Anything?

EmmieSue

Is there anything that you are specifically nervous about? My girlfriend and I are coming in May and she has autism as well and in planning our trip she expressed all her concerns with me. She told me things that she knew bothered her from her day to day life that would apply to Disney, like, she gets overwhelmed by large crowds in small spaces. She's been to Disneyland with her family, she knows she is fine during parade crowds and show crowds as long as she is with someone, but it's when the big crowds are moving that they bother her. So we discussed making sure we find a spot early on where we can enjoy the parades/shows and then duck away through a store or to another part of the park instead of going with everyone to the buses.

She has also expressed having a hard time standing in lines for a long time. So we'll make use of fastpass as best we can, avoid super long waits as much as possible, and she likes to talk or play games or draw on her phone to keep herself busy. Now Disney has a system that can be used for this to avoid being in lines, but she doesn't want to use it. I am sure it would be fine to still speak to the cast members at guest services in the parks and let them know what you just told us about not specifically wanting anything special, but wanting to make them aware.

Don't go during a super busy time, like Christmas week or Thanksgiving week. From what I hear, the crowds in November (except Thanksgiving week) and the first week of December isn't too bad. I am not sure about January, but most kids will still have time off. February I hear can be less crowded as well. Check out the crowd calendars.

Try and space out your plans. Don't set it up so you are rushing from fastpass to fastpass or dining reservations. Give yourself time to sit and relax out of the madness or back at your resort if you are feeling overwhelmed. We have a plan that gives the days structure without planning everything out to the hour.

I don't know if this helps you any, but I hope it does to some degree. I am not sure about resources as I am just going off what we planned to help her out.

Upvote 0

sofiathesecond

Original Poster
One thing specifically I'm concerned about is that, while it thankfully doesn't happen often, there have been times when I get so overstimulated that I have a panic attack and I'd rather that not happen while I'm in the parks. I read somewhere that each park has "quiet spots" where people can go if they need a break from all the noise for a little while. Is that true?

Another thing is if I use the Magical Express to skip baggage claim at the airport, I'm not so worried about my bags getting to the hotel for check in, but I would be a little worried about making sure my bags get back on the plane after I check out and also making sure I get to the airport with plenty of time before the flight home leaves.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how dining will work. Do I really have to make reservations months in advance or would the night before be sufficient, for example if I wanted to have lunch at the Coral Reef while I'm at EPCOT? Having to plan everything so far ahead would kind of suck all the fun out of it for me.

This one's more personal, but when we went to Disney when I was a kid, the best part was interacting with the characters. I've become a lot more shy since then and I know I would be self conscious about doing that as a thirty-something grown up.

Upvote 0

EmmieSue

I am going to address your last one first, Disney is where adults can go to be kids. My sisters and my brother-in law who I usually go with are all 30 and over and they shamelessly interact with the characters and you most definitely will see plenty of other adults doing it. We actually took their little ones to meet and chip and dale and they wouldn't even let them leave until my oldest sister and her husband gave them hugs. Lol So don't worry about that, it's part of the Disney fun, even for adults.

Now onto the other stuff, there are most definitely little quiet spots in the parks where you can escape the craziness. I've found a few where I was just able to sit and hang out with my littlest niece while she was napping and everyone else was off doing their own stuff. I know last time my mom and aunt found some nice spots too where they were able to just sit and relax out of the sun while the rest of us were doing stuff.

If it makes you feel better, you do have the option to get your baggage yourself when you get to the airport and handle it when you go to leave and still use the magical express for transportation. I've never had any issues with it though. For me, I trust them more to get it then I trust myself to be able to find the baggage claim to get it myself and I know that using them, if anything happens, Disney will make sure you still have what you need. I'd rather deal with Disney than the airport honestly if anything were to happen. Luggage is there usually within 3 hours of your arrival. The first time we went it was there when we got to the resort and to our room. Last time it took about an hour to get to the room. And don't worry about making your flight home. You'll be given a packet on your last day there that has all your magic express info for the day you leave, as well as what time you should be there for the bus. I believe it is 3 hours that they pick you up before your flight is scheduled to leave so you have plenty of time to get to the airport and through security.

Dining is hit or miss. From the sounds of it, dining has been booking up very fast lately and if you don't book early then you are out of luck, especially for the more popular restaurants. First time we went (a bit over a year ago) we didn't make any reservations beforehand, did everything day of, and it was fine. Last time, it was nearly impossible to find anything we'd actually would eat and then we were eating at really crazy times and it was really stressful and not fun. I'd suggest checking places out, making reservations in advance just so you know you have something. If you decide "oh I don't want to eat at coral reef tomorrow/go to epcot tomorrow" and you find something else open, just cancel your coral reef one and reserve the new one that was more appealing. Just note that you get charged $10 if you don't cancel 24 hours before.

Are you on the dining plan or are you just paying as you go? If you are paying as you go then you have more flexibility since you can always eat at a counter service place if you couldn't get a reservation that day. But with the dining plan you end up losing money, but you can use a table service credit at a counter service place.

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

I'm an aspie and travel to WDW often. Definitely check the crowd calendars if crowds are an issue for you - and avoid holiday weeks, like Easter, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

I would also utilize rope drop to fit in rides without having to deal with longer lines, taking a break at the hotel in the afternoon if you feel you need it, and then returning to the parks for the evening entertainment/activities that interest you.

My biggest advice is know your limits. Even when I know I'm pushing myself too hard I tend to get wrapped up in the wonderful world of Disney which can bring me crashing down hard if I don't take breaks or get a good night's rest. Build in whatever breaks you need, whether it's for food, rest, or just time away from the crowds. If you need assistance at any point, the Cast Members should be more than willing to help you.

As far as other guides, I agree that most is geared toward parents of autistic travelers. My suggestion would be to do a search on the forums at WrongPlanet regarding others who have also taken trips and see what advice was given, as most people on those boards are on the spectrum themselves.

Information on the Disability Access Service Card can be found here if you decide you need to utilize it: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...Disability-Access-Service-Card-2014-04-10.pdf . Unfortunately I've never used it myself, so I don't have much knowledge in that particular area. I've found that strategic planning and using Fastpasses has worked well enough for me where it hasn't been necessary.

One thing specifically I'm concerned about is that, while it thankfully doesn't happen often, there have been times when I get so overstimulated that I have a panic attack and I'd rather that not happen while I'm in the parks. I read somewhere that each park has "quiet spots" where people can go if they need a break from all the noise for a little while. Is that true?

Disney's website also offers a downloadable guide that details different attractions and potential sensory issues, which you may want to take a look at: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...bilities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide_rev.pdf. The guide also has a list of potential places in each park that are good for "breaks" if you need to get away for some quiet time. (I think it's pages 43-46).

Another thing is if I use the Magical Express to skip baggage claim at the airport, I'm not so worried about my bags getting to the hotel for check in, but I would be a little worried about making sure my bags get back on the plane after I check out and also making sure I get to the airport with plenty of time before the flight home leaves.

I've used Magical Express every time I've traveled to Disney in recent memory and never had any issues with luggage either coming or going. When you go to take your return trip to the airport, the luggage porters will load your bags onto the bus in the under-storage compartments. Usually I've watched them do it before boarding myself. If you are concerned about that I would just mention your concern to the cast member present and they should have no issue with you watching your bags board the bus before you.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how dining will work. Do I really have to make reservations months in advance or would the night before be sufficient, for example if I wanted to have lunch at the Coral Reef while I'm at EPCOT? Having to plan everything so far ahead would kind of suck all the fun out of it for me.

Unfortunately planning ahead is somewhat imperative if you have specific locations or times you want to eat, or utilize your Fastpasses. Don't wait until the night before to make reservations or you will find yourself locked out of some of the better dining experiences at Disney. That doesn't mean that you'll be locked out of eating anywhere, but it does mean that many table service restaurants will be lacking in availability, or have extensive wait times for walk ups. You can begin booking up to 180 days in advance of your trip. You might want to just reserve the top places you really want to go to and then wing it for the rest, but I wouldn't leave your dining completely unplanned until the last minute. I know it can be a pain to plan out that far in advance, but it is becoming much more of a necessity than it was in the past.

This one's more personal, but when we went to Disney when I was a kid, the best part was interacting with the characters. I've become a lot more shy since then and I know I would be self conscious about doing that as a thirty-something grown up.

This is pretty easy to avoid if you don't want to interact with characters. I would avoid any character dining experiences (or let the cast member accompanying characters know that you would prefer they not stop at your table), and just don't do the meet and greets in the parks. It's unlikely you'll randomly come across a character these days unless you've specifically attempted to meet them. You could also test out meeting one to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Each park does have a baby center and first aid area that are pretty quiet. You should be able to chill out in there for a bit, the only problem is they aren't always in the most accessible locations (IE MK is between Crystal Palace and Caseys) so if you aren't nearby, it can be a hike to get there.

If you take DME back to the airport, they will pick you up approx 3 hours before your flights for domestic, 4 for international. This is more than enough time to get to the airport and through security. Many people think it is too much time and try to find ways to get picked up later. You can either leave your bags at bell services and then take them on the bus yourself, or depending on the time of your flight and your airline, drop them at the resort luggage check in, and they will get it to the airport and on the plane for you.

If you want to do TS dining at some of the more popular locations, then yes, you need to book them well in advance. I'd suggest going here -> https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/#/reservations-accepted picking a date a few days in advance, selecting dinner and the appropriate party size and see what is available. Obviously this will vary by the dates of your trip, but places like CRT, Le Cellier, Coral Reef tend to fill up well in advance. But you can still usually find something somewhere, it may be at an awkward time (3:45 dinner anyone?) or at one of the resorts (lots of great choices, just not always the most convenient) So especially if you want to eat at a prime dining time, then try to book them in advance.

Don't be. There are lots of big kids that do this, just enjoy yourself.

Upvote 0

sofiathesecond

Original Poster
This is pretty easy to avoid if you don't want to interact with characters. I would avoid any character dining experiences (or let the cast member accompanying characters know that you would prefer they not stop at your table), and just don't do the meet and greets in the parks. It's unlikely you'll randomly come across a character these days unless you've specifically attempted to meet them. You could also test out meeting one to see how it goes.

It's more that I would want to interact, take selfies, etc., I just know that overcoming my shyness and social anxiety is going to be hard. Like, if I wanted to get a picture with Aurora or the Three Caballeros, what do I even say? Will I sound stupid? Does anyone except me even care?

Upvote 0

EmmieSue

It's more that I would want to interact, take selfies, etc., I just know that overcoming my shyness and social anxiety is going to be hard. Like, if I wanted to get a picture with Aurora or the Three Caballeros, what do I even say? Will I sound stupid? Does anyone except me even care?

They generally start the interaction with you so you have something to go off of. :)

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

Ahhh, okay. Characters are trained to interact with everyone, be they kids or adults, so even if you are feeling nervous/shy, they'll likely work with that - you won't sound stupid. If you need some ideas of what to say to them, Kenny the Pirate gives a great list of prompts if you are at a loss: http://www.kennythepirate.com/disney-world-character-schedules/character-interaction-ideas/ .

You can be as talkative as you'd like - either just saying Hi and getting your picture, or having a full on conversation with them. The last time I was in Disney, we had a surprise meet and greet with Ariel (a surprise because we were actually heading for the Little Mermaid ride and I was so engaged in conversation with my brother I literally walked into the wrong entrance - before I knew it our whole family was at the front of her line - whoops!) I was so thrown that I barely got a "Hello, how are you?" out, but my sister and Ariel ended up having a whole back and forth about her hair and dinglehoppers. They really are prepared for almost every scenario.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

You can say as little or as much as you want. Remember there are plenty of tourists that come over that don't speak a lick of english. Walking up and hugging the fur characters, posing for a picture and then walking away without saying anything other than thank you happens all the time. Use common courtesy, and they will have no problems with you. Start talking to them about things for their movie and the like, and most will do their best to interact back with you. But they see all types and are pretty good at adjusting to the scenario.

Upvote 0

PinnySmart

Please book your dining at 180 days out if you want specific restaraunts and book your fastpasses at 60 days out if staying on site. Unfortunately if you don't you will probably be disappointed. I don't like to plan that far out either but unfortunately it is how the game is played now.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

A week at WDW! Sounds lovely!
WDW is a great place to go as hard as you want or just relax and enjoy. DH and I are older now and have found that going slower, taking in the details, music, decor, and ambiance is really more fun and much more relaxing. So, do not feel like you MUST get in every ride, every show, or every event in every day. You might want to familiarize yourself with the parks and decide what you really want to see and do and make those priorities, then see the others. A week is plenty of time to take in most rides and shows and have down time to enjoy the resort and DTD, too.

Fall or in Jan-Feb is less crowded, and there are several websites that can give you crowd estimates for particular days or weeks. Some waits are long even then, but Fast passes help. To pass the time, you could read an ebook or listen to music or an audio book. (If using your phone a lot for this or to check wait times on the Disney app, I suggest you take a small battery backup & cord with you. Amazon has a good selection that are not costly and are lightweight- about the size of a large lipstick case) If you are worried about the noise level getting too much, a set of concert ear plugs might help. I think some shows are way too loud and I have to plug my ears with my fingers. :geek:

Do make an ADRs though, if there's a particular restaurant you really want to try. It is very difficult to get in to the popular places without one, even in the off season. You might be lucky, but better not to be disappointed. Or, if you'd rather go with the flow, there's plenty of good quick service places to eat. For example, if the Coral Reef is not available, you can go to the Sunshine Seasons. So many places...so few meals!

Upvote 0

Kosmo1986

my husband and I do not have any kids and we love to get character pictures and we are far from the only people in line without kids, so no worries there. When it comes to talking to characters it weirds me out a little too. For the characters who where full masks (buzz lightyear, mickey...etc) they don't talk, the others (like the princesses) do talk but I just say Hi, hand the camera to a cast member, take the pic and leave

There are a few quiet spots that can be considered quiet
at MK there is a back walkway between tomorrowland(left of space mountain) and fantasy land (right of the trainstation). At Epcot, near the event center next to mission space and by the old odyssey restaurant the walkways over there are normally clear. Animal Kingdom, In dino land there are a lot of nooks. Hollywood studios, by the backlot area it is usually really quite.

As for reservations, if there is somewhere you really really want to eat, I would make reservations. There are some places that have bar areas you can walk up and be seated like brown derby and 50s prime time. (you can just order food there no drinks needed). You can try the day before or day of to make some reservations but you won't have as many options for places and times. You can also make your reservations ahead of time and cancel them a day before without penalty.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom