Disney without the dining plan

RobnRachal

Original Poster
Our last 10 years of WDW vacations have included the dining plan. The next two trips, will not. I'm doing my best to be prepared mentally o_O and financially :geek: to feed my family. Any tips or advice on your favorite places would be greatly appreciated :happy:
The trip in November is just hubby and I. We will be spending a lot of time at F&W so I've been purchasing GC to use for the booths, etc. The December trip, however (2 daughters, 1 "adopted" daughter) will be just four days. The plan is to do "Quick Service" meals so we have more park time. Are there certain restaurants/carts you'd recommend that are a fairly good value for what you get? We're all open to sharing. I'll have snacks and breakfast items in the room which will save some money and time. The only two planned events we have are Wishes Dessert Party one night :) and BOG for lunch (IF we can get in).
Can't wait to hear your suggestions!
Thanks guys!!

crispy

We sometimes use the dining plan, and sometimes we don't. It really depends on our budget and the time of year we are going.

We end up sharing a lot of meals which cuts down on cost and calories! :) I also end up eating a lot of kid's meals because I find that it is usually more than enough food for me depending on what is served. Plus, a small drink is always included in the counter service kid's meal.

At Epcot, we like Sunshine Seasons a lot. They have a large variety of foods, and their kid's meals are definitely better than the norm. Last year, I had the kid's salmon platter, and it was a perfect portion (included salmon, rice, grapes, and a small drink for $5.99). We also like Tangierine Café because the food is great and it's big enough to share. We also love the sandwiches at Kringla og Bakeri in Norway. They toasted sandwiches are great and also big enough to share. Boulangerie Patisserie also has great lunch and dinner values on things like sandwiches and croissants.

We also usually end up getting a large pizza from the food court one night for dinner. It's a good value and my girls like bad pizza so it all works out.

At DHS, we usually grab a quick bit at Starring Rolls. The sandwiches there are huge and can be easily shared. ABC Commissary gets a bad rap (sometimes very deservedly!), but they have some good value options for food.

At Magic Kingdom, many people recommend the rib/chicken combo at Cosmic Ray's for sharing, but I have never tried it. I tend to order a kid's shrimp meal at Columbia Harbor House or a kid's burger at Pecos Bill's (you can still us the fixin's bar! and the size is just right). Columbia Harbor House also has some nice soup and chowder options if you are looking for a lighter meal. The waffle sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow are good and not that expensive. Plus, that's something different that you don't eat every day. The Liberty Square Market also sells baked potatoes which are pretty cheap and pretty filling.

At Animal Kingdom, we usually only eat at Flametree so I don't have a ton of ideas although their platter are usually big enough to share. I know a lot of people recommend the takeout portion of Yak and Yeti. The portions are large enough to share and they have things like a container of chicken fried rice for $3.99 or eggrolls for $2.49.

We tend to focus more on snacks than meals when we aren't on the dining plan. My girls would rather have popcorn or a Mickey bar than a fancy dinner any day of the week. We also bring fresh fruit and snacks with us. Also, we either bring our own water bottles or order water with our counter service meals and then add either Mio or a flavor packet. That saves a lot of money in the long run!

Last edited:

DisneyJunkie

First, EVERY dining place (table service or quick service) at Disney is overpriced. However, you do get very good portions of food....I have to credit them on that. So if you'll be utilizing quick services places mostly and look to share food, then definitely try these spots out:

MK: Pecos Bill's, Pinocchio Village Haus, Cosmic Ray's
Epcot: Electric Umbrella, Sunshine Seasons
DHS: Backlot Express, Pizza Planet, Sunset Ranch Market (if it's that place nearest to ToT & RnRC)
AK: Pizzafari

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

Financially:
Buy prepaid Visa Cards
  • that way your dining will be "prepaid" same as DDP. Either way you would still tip OOP.
  • Only buy the food you want...I have never bought an app and desert OOP at the same meal (Deluxe Dining) or a desert at EVERY meal (DDP).
  • Using this method you will come out ahead financially as well as psychologically not being OOP when in the Magic (the DDP gives the psycho-benefit of prepaying for meals and in many cases is just a wash when $$$ are actually totaled).
$$$ Saving Meal Ideas:

1. Cosmic Rays chicken and Rib Combo - Around $16 for a meal that can be split 2 ways, and even 3 ways depending on appetite of those sharing
  2. Starring Rolls @ DHS - Huge sandwich for around $8.00-$9.00....easily split or save some for later in the evening but remember Starring Rolls closes by 3:00 or so P.M.
  3. Liberty Square Market @ MK - Sweet or Baked Potato for under $4.00...very filling
  4. Writer's Stop @ DHS - large portion snacks
IMG_2616.JPG

5. TS Ressies - Order ONLY Appetizers and Deserts!! We had 3 Apps and 3 deserts at BoG in August, were completely full afterwards, and paid around $50.00 including tip. We love BoG, but have never been overly impressed with entrees there....thoroughly enjoyed the apps and desert. I would imagine a "dinner" at a Sig could be experienced for a huge savings using this strategy...

RobnRachal

Original Poster
I also end up eating a lot of kid's meals because I find that it is usually more than enough food for me depending on what is served. Plus, a small drink is always included in the counter service kid's meal.
Love all your suggestions...but especially this one! I'm betting a kids meal would be plenty for me as well ;) and good to know the drink is included. Our last trip we shared Sleepy Hollow waffle sandwiches so that's definitely a "do-over" too.
Thanks so much for your ideas and help :happy:

RobnRachal

Original Poster
First, EVERY dining place (table service or quick service) at Disney is overpriced.

MK: Pecos Bill's, Pinocchio Village Haus, Cosmic Ray's
Epcot: Electric Umbrella, Sunshine Seasons
DHS: Backlot Express, Sunset Ranch Market (if it's that place nearest to ToT & RnRC)
AK: Pizzafari

Agreed! Although we took the kids to their first NFL game (kids day) and almost fell over dead by the prices :eek: Made food at Disney look like a bargain!!
And thanks for the suggestions ;)

RobnRachal

Original Poster
I know how you feel on this subject....

I would definitely include a hefty Garden Grocer delivery to my resort.

PS...my personal rating for them is 10 out of 10!
My friend tried them on her last trip and had a very good experience...I'll definitely check it out, thanks!

RobnRachal

Original Poster
  • Only buy the food you want...I have never bought an app and desert OOP at the same meal (Deluxe Dining) or a desert at EVERY meal (DDP).
  • Writer's Stop @ DHS - large portion snacks
TS Ressies - Order ONLY Appetizers and Deserts!! We had 3 Apps and 3 deserts at BoG in August, were completely full afterwards, and paid around $50.00 including tip. We love BoG, but have never been overly impressed with entrees there....thoroughly enjoyed the apps and desert. I would imagine a "dinner" at a Sig could be experienced for a huge savings using this strategy...

I'm seriously looking forward to this! It always felt wasteful ordering all that food we could never eat at a TS. I really like your idea of getting reservations for dinner at BOG and just doing apps and dessert!! Concerned that we would never find availability now....but I am persistent :D so you never know. I really would like the girls to experience this restaurant since they're all huge Beauty and the Beast/Belle fans!
We shared the carrot cake cookie last time at Writer's Stop....another definite "do-over"!! :hungry:
Thanks for all your tips....cute pic too!

HouCuseChickie

I am not a fan of the dining plan...mainly because it doesn't cover the way we'd normally eat. Here are some things I do to prepare...

Like many people, I figure out where we're going to eat TS, snacks, etc. and then get a decent idea of what we'd likely order. Then I do the math and get a preliminary figure for our budget. While it's not a small number, I've found the number is still smaller than the cost of DDP since we're only ordering what we want. i.e. we may be more inclined to share things, just get appetizers, skip desserts, or skip soft drinks. I also don't feel the pressure to order the most expensive things to try and see value in the DDP. I still usually try to budget a smidge more since you never know if prices are going to go up or if you need some extra cupcakes or adult beverages ;)

Another vote for appetizers at BOG. The assorted meat charcuterie plate and the French onion soup are my faves. We voted to skip dessert there if we do dinner again since I think there are better dessert options elsewhere.

RobnRachal

Original Poster
Like many people, I figure out where we're going to eat TS, snacks, etc. and then get a decent idea of what we'd likely order. Then I do the math and get a preliminary figure for our budget. While it's not a small number, I've found the number is still smaller than the cost of DDP since we're only ordering what we want. i.e. we may be more inclined to share things, just get appetizers, skip desserts, or skip soft drinks. I also don't feel the pressure to order the most expensive things to try and see value in the DDP. I still usually try to budget a smidge more since you never know if prices are going to go up or if you need some extra cupcakes or adult beverages ;)
Excellent suggestions! Especially the "adult beverages" :p (There'll be a special budget section for that....lol)

HollyAD

Agreed! Although we took the kids to their first NFL game (kids day) and almost fell over dead by the prices :eek: Made food at Disney look like a bargain!!
And thanks for the suggestions ;)
I paid 11$ for a diet coke and pretzel at my last Ravens game. I also thought of Disney when I paid!

HollyAD

Pizza planet at HS seemed like a lot of food for the money. My son and I could easily share the small pizza meal. It also came with a small salad. Pinochios was a similar deal at MK. On our next trip I plan to order pizza from outside the resort. Ordering kids meals is always a good plan for me. I also like the Yak and Yeti quick service. Large portions and cheap sides.

DManRightHere

Our last 10 years of WDW vacations have included the dining plan. The next two trips, will not. I'm doing my best to be prepared mentally o_O and financially :geek: to feed my family. Any tips or advice on your favorite places would be greatly appreciated :happy:
The trip in November is just hubby and I. We will be spending a lot of time at F&W so I've been purchasing GC to use for the booths, etc. The December trip, however (2 daughters, 1 "adopted" daughter) will be just four days. The plan is to do "Quick Service" meals so we have more park time. Are there certain restaurants/carts you'd recommend that are a fairly good value for what you get? We're all open to sharing. I'll have snacks and breakfast items in the room which will save some money and time. The only two planned events we have are Wishes Dessert Party one night :) and BOG for lunch (IF we can get in).
Can't wait to hear your suggestions!
Thanks guys!!

Heads up. 2 booths at WS we went to wouldn't take magic band but we used a credit card. I found that odd.

I've done the math and we come out cheaper paying out of pocket, plus you're not stuck with counter service dessert. Move to a funner bakery for dessert (especially at world showcase).

Whenever someone wants the same counter service just order one and share. You could snack more and share that too.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If you're a carnivore, no problems!

Mk: Turkey Leg cart in Frontier Land
AK: Flametree
HS: Min and Bills, ABC Commissary
Epcot; It depends on what you are comfortable eating, some are not as daring as others. My vote would be for Boulangerie Patisserie

BigTxEars

This will be our first trip (Jan 2015) without the DDP, using the TIW card and it's discount we want to see the cost difference between OOP and DDP for us. It's a food experiment of sorts! It's also the first time we plan to eat breakfast in the room, we will have a kitchen staying at the AKL so we though why not use it. We are going to order groceries online and have them delivered :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We don't do the dining plan anymore - too much food (I don't want a dessert with lunch) and not flexible. We always do breakfast in our room, I bring snacks and reusable water bottles for the parks (I will not pay Disney prices for a bottle of "enhanced" tap water and the ice water you can get for free has a funky Orlando water taste) and we have the flexibility for lunch/dinner - sharing, ordering just an appetizer, or getting kid's meal. All of which would be hard to do on a DDP and you'd be wasting money. We now have a Tables in Wonderland card - love the 20% discount, including adult beverages - which are not including on the DDP. When it's just me on a trip (yes, I've gone solo several times - heaven), I eat just breakfast and a late lunch/early dinner. Since I have snacks & fruit in the room, if I get hungry later, I just grab some hummus and carrots or something else I've brought with me.

We are staying in a 1 bedroom villa during Thanksgiving (yes, call me crazy for going at that time), so I will have to give an order from Garden Grocery a think, rather than packing the car with a large cooler.

dreamfinder

I've never used the dining plan, it just doesn't make sense for us. Share soft drinks at your CS meals, or ask for ice waters when you order. Look for platters rather than just entrees. Tangierine Cafe has large platters that can easily be split, especially between teenagers. Most of the pizza locations Pizzafari, Pizza Planet, etc offer the personal pizza with a side salad. And remember, you can always ask for just the entree w/no side. So if a burger & fries is $8.79, you can ask for no fries, and should only be charged like $6.79 instead. (No idea what the real prices are, but the difference is less than they charge for the side)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom