Disney Stubbornness!

General Grizz

Original Poster
Are there any times when people insist something about Disney that you know for a fact isn't true and you become ticked and finally give up?

i.e. I just talked to a teenager who had visited Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom in July and saw the Main Street Electrical Parade...

:fork: :lol: :lol: :lol:

josh_e_washie

Here's a great lil' one that really ****** ticked me off!!!

A man sitting next to me on the bus was talking to another man saying "yeah the swan and dolphin are disney built, owned and operated, and they are the most expensive rooms at WDW. I'm staying there in fact."
I just sat there as my face turned red!!!!
:mad:
ARRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

I mean I know it's only minor details but give me a break!!! Only us WDW freaks would understand!!!:lol:

mrtoad

I do, but then I think that maybe some of the stuff that "I know to be true" really might not be. It is hard to say that everything you have heard or read is true. Because your source might be wrong. Even if it was from someone who works for Disney.

I was on the phone a couple of weeks ago with WDW ordering a vacation planning tape for my daughter so she has an idea what the world is when we take her next year. When giving my email address to the woman at Disney I said my address is and it starts with mrtoad, I said as in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride which you guys got rid of a few years back. The woman had no clue what I was talking about. And she worked for WDW.

On one of these forums, on this site there was a post about the wave machine in the 7 Seas Lagoon and someone who said they worked for WDW said they took it out in the late 70s. The thing was gone year one.

So the moral of my story is, we could all have some incorrect knowledge that we are sure we are right about.

That being said, yeah it ticks me off too.

:lol:

foxfire

I was waiting on line for Mission Space and said to someone "I like this ride, but it wasn't worth getting rid of Horizons". They stared blankly at me...they had no clue what Horizons was.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Here are just a few that come to mind:

-In the early 90s I was a cast member at a Disney Store and we had a bunch of merchandise promoting the theatrical release of Fantasia that particular year. I was talking to a guest who said her mom had an original poster from the original release of the film. Being a huge Fantasia fan, I was very excited to hear this. She said she had a photograph of the poster and when she showed it to me, I immediately knew it wasn't from the original release, but from one of the many re-releases. I thought the guest should be aware of this and so when I told her, it made her very angry and she insisted it was from the film's premiere in 1940. I even pointed out to her that in the photograph I could see a reference on the poster to Disneyland's 30th anniversary (which was in 1985). And she STILL didn't believe me. I didn't press the issue because we weren't supposed to argue with guests. But it frustrated me that she wouldn't listen to reason.

-I still meet people who believe Walt really is frozen. That one is always fun.

-The most common one I still get very frequently is the urban legend about the castle on the Little Mermaid poster being a phallic symbol, drawn by a disgruntled Disney artist. Even though I'll tell them I can provide documented evidence that this is just a rumor, they usually say, "Oh you're just unwilling to admit it because you're a Disney fan!" That's always a frustrating one.

Jerm

Originally posted by Merlin
Here are just a few that come to mind:

-The most common one I still get very frequently is the urban legend about the castle on the Little Mermaid poster being a phallic symbol, drawn by a disgruntled Disney artist. Even though I'll tell them I can provide documented evidence that this is just a rumor, they usually say, "Oh you're just unwilling to admit it because you're a Disney fan!" That's always a frustrating one.

UMMMMMM what evdence do you have cause I have talked to ex-animators that have said yes it was in fact the truth. But it is not the poster it is the first release of the video.

J

General Grizz

Original Poster
Get this...talked to an x-Imagineer/CM at EPCOT for 10 years...insisted that the Living Seas opened in 1989...not a doubt! :lol: "Okaaay!" :p

Dr Albert Falls

I had a high school social studies teacher tell us IN CLASS that, in Disneyland's early days, Walt forbid handicapped people from visiting the park-- the rationale being he didn't want wheelchairs and crutches cluttering up his "perfect" world.

I never dismissed the theory outright-- it was the segregation era, after all-- but I have never heard ANYONE even REPEAT that story, much less confirm it.

Shaman

Originally posted by Dr Albert Falls
I had a high school social studies teacher tell us IN CLASS that, in Disneyland's early days, Walt forbid handicapped people from visiting the park-- the rationale being he didn't want wheelchairs and crutches cluttering up his "perfect" world.

Well if that is true then Walt must be turning in his grave...cause we don't got wheelchairs cluttering we have strollers and those huge double strollers cluttering the place. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes like everyone else I've had my confrontation with people who THINK they are right. But I'm one never to press my point when it isn't necessary, especially trivial issues about Disney, so I let it slide; but it does TICK ME OFF. But hey part of the reason that I never press my point is because unlike the person that thinks they know everything...I always have that doubt in the back of my mind, that perhaps I AM wrong. So I leave people with their misconceptions.

Because hey, ignorance is bliss right....:p

Erika

Originally posted by Jerm
UMMMMMM what evdence do you have cause I have talked to ex-animators that have said yes it was in fact the truth. But it is not the poster it is the first release of the video.

J

...which used the same artwork ;) Although I think I remember reading on Snopes that the man did was not a Disney employee at all.

I can't think of any Disney comments which have made their way under my skin as of late. The one thing that really bothers me at the moment is the fact that so many people are suddenly saying conversate instead of converse. And now it's in that song- every time I hear that line I want to bang my head against the steering wheel.

UncleJeet

Originally posted by Erika
[BThe one thing that really bothers me at the moment is the fact that so many people are suddenly saying conversate instead of converse. And now it's in that song- every time I hear that line I want to bang my head against the steering wheel. [/B]

Amen! However, I think it was in a "song" a good while back, which is why it's already such a prominent non-word that people are using.

When stupid people want to sound intelligent, they try to use the most impressive sounding words that they can think of, even if they have to make them up....conversate just sounds so much more impressive than converse, so what if it's just a made up word! Besides, an "intelligent businessman - slash - rap star" used it, so it must be legitimate! Bleh.

It's right up there with such non-phrases as:
incorrect: I could care less
correct: I couldn't care less
or
incorrect: irregardless
correct: regardless

The list is pretty much endless. However, it can be argued that language is what the people make it, and if enough people start using non-words, they eventually become part of the accepted vocabulary. A good example of this would be insecure vs. unsecure. The latter has become an accepted word, especially in the financial world, but it sprang forth from the mouths of jellyheads that, for whatever reason, couldn't say insecure. Being that a large portion of these offending individuals and institutions were/are in the financial community only serves to further enforce my general disdain for the majority of the severely confused MBA's of the world.

Oh, and as far as people getting Disney facts wrong....getting ticked off at someone who thinks he knows it all when you are convinced that he is obviously incorrect because you, in fact, know it all is kind of a cyclic type of situation that I try and avoid. A know it all is a know it all, and whether they happen to be right or wrong on any given point is irrelevant.

Now, when someone is presented with clear and obvious facts but still cling to the notion that he/she is clearly correct and let the facts be damned - well, ok yeah, this type of person would tick me off. Just make sure that the clear and obvious facts that you present to the know it all are in fact clear and obvious and, of course, correct. :)

UncleJeet

tigsmom

J

I have that video and I couldn't believe it when someone pointed it out to me. :lol:

Yellow Shoes

Originally posted by UncleJeet
When stupid people want to sound intelligent, they try to use the most impressive sounding words that they can think of, even if they have to make them up....

"misunderestimate" immediately comes to mind

Now, when someone is presented with clear and obvious facts but still cling to the notion that he/she is clearly correct and let the facts be damned - well, ok yeah, this type of person would tick me off.

So..listening to politicians must really set you off :brick:

wdwhoneymooner

Now, when someone is presented with clear and obvious facts but still cling to the notion that he/she is clearly correct and let the facts be damned - well, ok yeah, this type of person would tick me off. Just make sure that the clear and obvious facts that you present to the know it all are in fact clear and obvious and, of course, correct. :)

UncleJeet

UncleJeet, allow me to present my In-Laws. :lookaroun :lol:

DisneyDJ

My favorite is when I bump into people that have "worked at Disney" they've either worked at the Haunted Mansion or the Jungle Cruise. However none of them know the speil, just the non SOP jokes passed down from generation to generation, and they also don't realize they're in the same "area." Ah good old Adventureland/ Liberty Square Attractions... brings back memories. So if you want to have some fun... ask 'em what area they worked in? If they don't say Ad/Lib... you've caught 'em... Tell them 'Albert Awol' said so!

Until Next time...

Merlin

Account Suspended

J

Well, we've already read several examples on this thread of Disney employees dispensing incorrect information. So if these ex-animators are telling you this story as fact, then I would personally question other information they've given you as well. In any event, I meant to say video cover, not movie poster (my bad). Irregardless (tee hee), I mean...regardless, it is an urban legend. Click on this link for a full explanation:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.htm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom