Disney Store Catastrophe

WishIwasThere

I really hope they scale back and make TDS a unique place to shop like it was 10-15 years ago. I used to buy the watches like hot cakes...everyone got a watch for gifts. I love my backwards running Goofy watch. The cells you used to be able to buy...the books, music, and videos you couldn't find everywhere like today. As someone stated earlier...a trip to TDS was almost as much fun as a mini trip to WDW.

Vernonpush

I heard that this all started years ago.

Remember when you went to Frontierland shops and they were full of Frontier specific merchandise? Tomorrowland had all futuristic items...well you get the idea.

At some point, Micheal Eisner decided that the jewelry in the Disney stores didn't sell well enough and neither did the adults T-shirts, movies, CD's etc. So in all his infinite wisdom, he told Disney store and Disney Park management to find the 100 items that sell the hottest and only put those things in every store.

I'm sick when I go into Frontierland gift shops now and find Mickey Mouse toasters, waffle makers, and machines that fill straws with strawberry flavored sugar powder.

Disney needs to re-evaluate their sales priorities and give the people what they want, not just offer the most popular items for sale.

I don't know about everyone here, but I find myself more and more often walking through these stores and buying less and less each trip. I used to hit all the shops. Now I skip a lot of them because they all carry the same merchandise. My trips to my local Disney Store are becoming less and less frequent also for the same reason.

I think this sums it up the best.

lynnie5150

TDS is in the process of selling off all inventory that was made by the previous owners. By the start of the 4th quarter you will begin to see better quality merchandise including stuff offered in the parks. By the Christmas season it will be a great place to shop again.

Baums101

This probably isn't posted in the right section...

The other day I walked into my local Disney Store only to find that almost everything i LOVED was replaced. By what you ask? Hmm, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Camp Rock. I almost threw up in my purse. I was absolutely horrified.
When I was a little girl, the Disney Store had all of the original characters (Minnie, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc.) and all of the popular characters of that time (Ariel, Belle, Simba, etc.) Now there is more Camp Rock and Hannah than there is Mickey. Walt once said, "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse." um, can someone tell me where the mouse is hiding?
I'm sick of this generation, even if I'm the majority. Someone needs to talk some sense into this world...
:shrug:
I was just at my local mall and walked in to find only a few camp rock and hannah montana items. I love the stores so much I was happy to see that they weren't changing anything drastically.

EpcotServo

The Century 3 mall was where I learned of this travesty and then I went to the mall at Robinson also. AT least we still have South Hills which is actually my closest mall.

"Oh, woodstock. This was great. No joel, you can't go to woodstock, you're only 6 years old. We're going to the opening of the new CENTURY store downtown."
-Joel, Remembering the 60's

:lol:

WhatJaneSays

I know exactly what you mean. I'll be honest and say I'm not much older than some of the brain-deprived generation that has spawned such drivel as the modern Disney entertainment machine. I clearly remember growing up with DarkWing Duck and TaleSpin. I've gotten them both on DVD recently and I'm actually impressed with how they've held up over the years.

I attempted to watch the first High School Musical with my 14-year-old cousin about 6 months ago ... I sat through the whole thing and I'm still at a loss at it's popularity. Okay, it's sort of cute but I don't get it. It's mildly entertaining for a 10-year-old at best and for the most part it's pointless made me feel like I was losing brain cells.

wdwmomof3

I went into our Disney Store today and it was packed with people. I almost felt like I was at Disney World. Anyway, I saw a ton of Hannah & other things but nothing that I wanted. They did have a few cute T-shirts but nothing that I was looking for. I will be happy when they get the park merchandise in, then I will buy more in there. :)

magicmom1

Here in Atlanta we now have 2 Disney Stores and one Disney Outlet within 20 miles of each other. I know that everyone is upset with the amount of HSM, CR and Hannah stuff but lets keep in mind what time of year this is! Back to school is the time to buy all the latest stuff.

I am the mom of an 8 yo girl and twin 4 yo girls. I would much rather buy my older daughter CR and Hannah backpacks than most of the other smut that is out there for her to be watching! As a person I too miss all the Disney cartoon and stuff that used to be on tv when I was young but I DON'T see the absolute hatetred for the current Disney Channel shows.

I would much rather my daughter be watching these show that discuss things that she will be facing at school. I am happy that she is ya-ya for Miley/Hannah. This girl is being raised the way I want my daughter raised both on tv and in real life! I want her to be proud to be a virgin and keep it that way for as long as she can. I want her to know that she does not have to worry about every girl on every magazine being prettier than her because that is all she is bombarded with if she watches any other channel than Disney. I refuse to let her watch anything on Nick because the Fairy Odd Parents speak very disrespectfully to their parents, Sponge Bob is just stupid and we all know what happened to the main character on Zoey 101!!! :rolleyes:

Soon the Disney store will get in new merchandise for everyone in the family again and I know that most everyone will be happy again. Until Disney decides to come up with some other entertainment for my kids to watch I am just fine with what they have because without the Disney Channel and Radio Disney my kids would not have the carefree childhood that we are ALL talking about.:kiss:

I am getting off my soap box now!:p
next trip Jan 10 - 17, 2009

wedway71

I remember being in the same boat-driving hours every day to see Hitchcock on the big screen indie theater while my friends were watching the latest Michael Bay flavor of the week. Aside from the inherent quality superiority to what you're watching, your "culturing" now will pay dividends eventually.

You say this almost as if you know what's in store for The Disney Store, but I believe this is all wishful thinking. If you've been to WDW in the last three years, I think you'd see that TDS accurately reflects what's available at WDW as well. Can't blame Hoop for that.

Also, while it's easy to blame Disney for all of this, and not giving "us" enough options, whose to say its not Disney that is to blame, but rather "someone else" who is demanding/buying this merchandise we perceive as crap? Although I don't regard Disney as infallible, I highly doubt they are producing HSM, HM, and Jonas crap simply because they "feel" like it. There must be demand fueling the production.

I will admit that it is wishful thinking that Disney Store does well.

The comments I made are coming from Disney press releases or articles, not my wishes.

When James Fielding was elected as President of Disney Store these are issues he will focus on...
-Bringing Disney Store back to its former glory.

-with less stores being able to have a more unique design for each store.
-being more of a Brand Marketing tool for things like the parks etc.

I for one thought Disney ran the stores into the ground by their own doing.They tried to save it by getting with Hoop.Hoop failed.
I do hope Disney will realize their mistakes and make the chain as strong as it was before rather than trying to make it as big.

Spyne

I know how you feel. I visited the local Disney Store lately, and it was just completely different. The front of the store was completely flooded with Hannah Montana and High School Musical stuff. It just doesn't look like what a Disney Store should be. :(

iheartdisney91

:rolleyes:.......i find it really hard to believe that the WHOLE store was only HM HSM and CR. seeing that my disney store (now outta business) had one section with the 3 and the whole other store still had the classics.

EpcoTim

I heard that this all started years ago.

Remember when you went to Frontierland shops and they were full of Frontier specific merchandise? Tomorrowland had all futuristic items...well you get the idea.

At some point, Micheal Eisner decided that the jewelry in the Disney stores didn't sell well enough and neither did the adults T-shirts, movies, CD's etc. So in all his infinite wisdom, he told Disney store and Disney Park management to find the 100 items that sell the hottest and only put those things in every store.

I'm sick when I go into Frontierland gift shops now and find Mickey Mouse toasters, waffle makers, and machines that fill straws with strawberry flavored sugar powder.

Disney needs to re-evaluate their sales priorities and give the people what they want, not just offer the most popular items for sale.

I don't know about everyone here, but I find myself more and more often walking through these stores and buying less and less each trip. I used to hit all the shops. Now I skip a lot of them because they all carry the same merchandise. My trips to my local Disney Store are becoming less and less frequent also for the same reason.

Agreed. Hitting the shops used to be a big part of the vacation. I don't even go into the shops anymore, and if so, its just for a second. All the unique items are gone. No more cool t-shirts, watches. Its pointless now, almost seems like going to Target or some other dump like that. But, I guess it saves a lot of people a lot of money, which is always a good thing.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
:rolleyes:.......i find it really hard to believe that the WHOLE store was only HM HSM and CR. seeing that my disney store (now outta business) had one section with the 3 and the whole other store still had the classics.

Not as hard as I find it to believe that Disney expects me to buy generic merchandise for theme park prices that I could purchase for a fraction in a supermarket. :shrug: Go figure.

DisneyNut2007

You wanna know what IS bad? The actions of a lot of you who have already posted in this thread.

By criticizing HSM, HM, CR, etc., you're all making fun of kids, which is downright shameful! :(

elisatonks

okay...

I've went in one of the US disney stores earlier in the year when hoop were still incharge and i must admit i was disapointed, especially after the theme park shops, which i went in regularly on my days off. (i worked at DHS over the winter, and spent a little to much time in the parks!)

I want to bring you guys hope.. the UK Disney Stores have always been run by Disney, and if what the new store in my home city (Manchester) is the way forward, it is just as good as it was when i was a little girl (i'm currently in my mid 20's.) There is of course still Hannah Montana, HSM, Jonas Bros. merch but they seem to be limited to one fixture each with a focus on Wall:E merch in the store entrance (WALL:E came out here last weekend, so this makes sense.) They also had a reasonable amount of watches, adult clothing (mostly nightwear), baby and toddler gifts (I bought an adorable first cutlery set for my friends newborn for when he starts eating solds, with a nemo design.) A number of classic disney characters are avaliable in plush in various sizes and there are loads of unique snowglobes, mugs and even wedding gifts avaliable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom