News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

MerlinTheGoat

So why did Bob spend $40,000,000 fighting it?
Mixture of an overabundance of caution and also to inflict the maximum humiliation possible on the person who wounded his ego I'd figure. Corporate executives tend to have out of control egos, so it doesn't really surprise me when they go overboard on trying to stamp out any and all dissent from other wealthy ego mad people who have publicly criticized them. Even if going that hard is entirely unnecessary and the opposition wasn't a real threat.

Peltz suffered an enormous and humiliating defeat. I'd imagine much more than any relief Iger may have felt, it gave him a massive ego boost.

1713065365216.png

BrianLo

Will they use the profits the parks make to pump more money into the movie studio division ?

Not really. As a Division, 'Entertainment' has always been self-funded. Linear has propped it up while DTC and Content Sales/Licensing (or Studios) was negative. Ultimately the Entertainment portion of the company still reported 1.44 billion positive operating income for last year.

Parks money you could say went to the Hulu buyout last year in large part. This year in increased Capex, buybacks, dividends and lastly debt servicing one could say. But on paper the Entertainment will certainly again be positive and so will sports, so they are also contributing to those line items in a way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mixture of an overabundance of caution and also to inflict the maximum humiliation possible on the person who wounded his ego I'd figure. Corporate executives tend to have out of control egos, so it doesn't really surprise me when they go overboard on trying to stamp out any and all dissent from other wealthy ego mad people who have publicly criticized them. Even if going that hard is entirely unnecessary and the opposition wasn't a real threat.

Peltz suffered an enormous and humiliating defeat. I'd imagine much more than any relief Iger may have felt, it gave him a massive ego boost.

View attachment 779223
I agree with you.

Did we ever get the board vote totals? They have to disclose that

Whatever Bob thinks now…the market still wants him gone. But have no faith he will honor his vague promises

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not really. As a Division, 'Entertainment' has always been self-funded. Linear has propped it up while DTC and Content Sales/Licensing (or Studios) was negative. Ultimately the Entertainment portion of the company still reported 1.44 billion positive operating income for last year.

Parks money you could say went to the Hulu buyout last year in large part. This year in increased Capex, buybacks, dividends and lastly debt servicing one could say. But on paper the Entertainment will certainly again be positive and so will sports, so they are also contributing to those line items in a way.

If I didn’t know better…it looks like you’re supporting the “it’s always something…” theorem

I know…”profitable in 2024”

Disney plus will never generate the profits that Disney enjoy from its espn led sweet cable money for 20 years. It’s just not the same product. People aren’t trapped into it.

We’ll see how it plays?

Parks are under incredible pressure…which is awful for fans.

lentesta

Premium Member
I also expect Uni to think of some ticket offer to keep people in their bubble. Maybe they'll look at it like they don't "need" to with all the anticipated foot traffic, but why wouldn't they offer a buy 4 days get 2 free kind of bundle. It seems very "Universal" to do something like that.

Everything I'm hearing is around EU initially having some sort of prioritized access into the park, because demand will be so high. So, for example, on-site guests at Premier hotels with multi-day park tickets get first dibs, then cheaper on-site hotels, etc. Essentially higher spend = better chance at access.

I'd heard it would be mid-year for the IT infrastructure to handle EU (e.g., around hotels, ticketing, etc.) to be ready to test. And even if you build in delays/rework/updates, I still think we'll hear about ticket options this year.

It's possible we might be able to purchase said tickets this year. I'm not sure whether UOR will announce the ticket types and prices before they're able to be purchased, or in parallel with them being released. I suspect that with leaks, we'll know about the ticket types but not prices, first.

celluloid

Considering they can't find a consistent theme with their second park. I don't trust them building a third.
People of DL fandom need to get a bit realistic in a similar sense. A Water Park, new resort infrastructure and new resort shopping/dining district is what is coming to DL in any foreseeable future.

flyerjab

View attachment 779223
Excellent use of a Conan reference here. Well done.

The Mom

Premium Member
Everything I'm hearing is around EU initially having some sort of prioritized access into the park, because demand will be so high. So, for example, on-site guests at Premier hotels with multi-day park tickets get first dibs, then cheaper on-site hotels, etc. Essentially higher spend = better chance at access.

I'd heard it would be mid-year for the IT infrastructure to handle EU (e.g., around hotels, ticketing, etc.) to be ready to test. And even if you build in delays/rework/updates, I still think we'll hear about ticket options this year.

It's possible we might be able to purchase said tickets this year. I'm not sure whether UOR will announce the ticket types and prices before they're able to be purchased, or in parallel with them being released. I suspect that with leaks, we'll know about the ticket types but not prices, first.
Thanks, and interesting, but let's not lead posters off track to the WDW versus Universal debate again. ;)

BrianLo

Woah…

“Free flowing from all segments”??

How so?

Note I used Segments purposefully;

970BF8D1-DBE6-417A-957C-76408B4766EC.jpeg

Entertainment, even with its no good, very bad year, was still making money. Removing a 2.5B deficit from DTC in that segment will help dramatically, even if linear declines underneath. Assuming, you know, DTC doesn’t actually improve further. Like I think it will (Hulu, price hikes, subscriber gains, unrealized cost cutting, etc)

peng

Some press has gone out regarding the investment, mostly stuff we have heard before (it drills in over and over that almost all of the additions will be IP related), there are some tidbits on the IPs that are going to prioritized in it (Black Panther, Coco, Encanto and something Frozen related for California are mentioned and the possibility of collaborating with Epic Games on parks related projects are brought up). In addition, some behind the scenes stuff in regards to how they work with the movie/tv side to see if certain projects are theme parkable or not, how a recession will be disney's excuse to not invest and how theme parks are a growth buisness at the moment.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Some press has gone out regarding the investment, mostly stuff we have heard before (it drills in over and over that almost all of the additions will be IP related), there are some tidbits on the IPs that are going to prioritized in it (Black Panther, Coco, Encanto and something Frozen related for California are mentioned and the possibility of collaborating with Epic Games on parks related projects are brought up). In addition, some behind the scenes stuff in regards to how they work with the movie/tv side to see if certain projects are theme parkable or not, how a recession will be disney's excuse to not invest and how theme parks are a growth buisness at the moment.

Who else clicked on that article just to see if "turbocharge" was used? 😂 😂

When asked about the board of directors’ deliberations, D’Amaro responds like a politician who’s mulling higher office: He says he’s concentrating on the job at hand. “I love the Disney brand,” he notes. “And it has been incredible to have Bob Iger back and watch what he has done, from fixing the company to now moving toward a building mode. What I am squarely focused on right now is making sure that we’re turbocharging the Disney Experience business."

Run GIF by Challenger

Confused High Quality GIF

ETA: Wow. That's a pure fluff piece.

Andrew25

You know a piece is filled with Disney's fluff when they forget to exclude the lack of significant investment between 2006 - 2012 (I would say 2017, as New Fantasyland should have been a project much earlier after 20K removal) atWDW

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom