Disney officially done with 2D animation

DisneyGuyNYC

Cmdr_Crimson

These are digitally produced. They didn't say no more 2D for good, just no more hand drawn, right?

Well, anything passed Pocahontas was done through computers. And now with the technology They just do all drawings on tablets. They did say the effect that was used in Paperman can be used to make a feature length film. So that the hand drawn look is there but, not really..

Not too thrilled with the look of Mickey in that shorts link...I think I'd rather have 2D die. HAHA....just kidding, but thats hideous.

Also, the drawings that are being Xerox'd are usually not the original animators artworks, they are 9 times out of 10, the artwork of the clean up team. Though some animators work fairly clean, not many of them do. They are more interested in the motion of the character and not so much about making him look identical to the previous piece of artwork. That duty falls upon the clean up artists who are responsible for making each character look identical in every frame. So technically, you are probably seeing the clean up artists artwork and not the artwork of the original animator.

Animator --> Breakdown Animator --> Inbetweener --> Clean Up
Those are the hands that the artwork ventures to during production.

I see Xerography as just a step in technology...I don't want to call it a fad, but everyone did it and now everyone does something else and in the future everyone will do something different. It was more of a stepping stone. It was probably used for 15-20 years and then technology allowed them to do things faster and cleaner. I don't see it so much as the "old way", since technically it doesn't go back all that far in animation history, the "old way" was hand inked and painted cels.

Also, the Tangled that everyone knows, is not the Tangled that Glen Keane imagined. That Tangled got thrown in the trash and we got what we have now. The test scene that was released from the original concept looked 2D (even in a way that Paperman does not), but was obviously not. It's unfortunate that his vision will never be seen. It would have been groundbreaking.

DisneyGuyNYC

Well, anything passed Pocahontas was done through computers. And now with the technology They just do all drawings on tablets. They did say the effect that was used in Paperman can be used to make a feature length film. So that the hand drawn look is there but, not really..

"Done through computers" just means they were drawn, scanned in, cleaned up, and painted. They were still drawn by hand. Pretty much an DVD release of a Disney film is getting this done to it now anyway.

These are different because the creation of the image is being done digitally. Without ever using paper.

Cmdr_Crimson

But paper has not been used in almost a decade for the animation.

The last film to do it traditionally (sketch/final draft/Animation Cel) was Little Mermaid...After that it was Beauty & The Beast that took it to the Digital realm (Sketch/Final Draft/Scanned to Computer)

prberk

You all should watch "Dream On Silly Dreamer," the documentary about laying off the traditional Disney animators and going digital. It really has a story to tell, to both sides of this discussion. I found it moving and informative.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Silly-D...86223&sr=8-18&keywords=waking+sleeping+beauty

No matter what the format, I believe that the company has truly lost some invaluable experience in storytelling and art -- one reason that we have not had another "Lion King" or "Beauty and the Beast" since then.

Both formats -- digital and hand-drawn -- have their place, but story, depth, and artistry are a must, along with people who absolutely love and care for what they are doing. Why do you think that Lasseter is so good? He loves it, and understands the history, while also working in new formats. All of it matters. And investment pays off.

You all should watch "Dream On Silly Dreamer," the documentary about laying off the traditional Disney animators and going digital. It really has a story to tell, to both sides of this discussion. I found it moving and informative.

Just as an FYI, this film is very expensive through Amazon, but if you have itunes you can download it for $1.99. I bought yesterday after seeing this post and wanted to watch it, but I've only had time for the first half. Some interesting tidbits from Disney artists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom