Disney not subject to Anaheim’s ‘living wage’ ballot measure, judge rules - OCR/SCNG

SuddenStorm

But let's say someone has a passion to make churros at Disneyland that also shouldn't preclude them from making enough to survive. Doesn't mean they buy a house, or whatever. But at least enough to survive in the state they live without going into severe debt, poverty, or live in their car.

If someone chooses to stay in an entry level position their entire lives- that's their choice. But they also would need to accept that they might not have an amazing standard of living. It's 'entry level', so it makes sense it would only cover a basic standard of living.
We're the richest nation in the world, we can and should be wanting to help pull up those who make the least and we certainly can afford it. As the saying goes, "a rising tide lifts all boats". As we help those who makes the least it helps us all.

I would agree with this part- and I imagine most people do, we just have differences on the best way to go about this. Luckily, someone living in poverty today is far better off than someone living in poverty 50 years ago- so as a whole society is moving in the right direction.

SuddenStorm

I didn't need any formal training to do my job. Training time =/= value.

And considering they would need Food Handler's Card, Sexual Harassment Training, training on the food prep and machine maintenance, and Disney's own CM training for all CMs; Disney is investing a lot more in this employee than 15 minutes. Might as well pay them a living wage to reduce the turnover and have to invest that time and money into a replacement.

Disney has a two day orientation for new hires- Traditions and Step in to the Magic. Then there's the on the job training, which varies based on position.

Depending on what pay is being asked, it would certainly make sense to replace someone with a lower cost new higher.

Lilofan

And, that job paid $12/hr back in 2019. It got bumped up to $15ish around the end of 2019.

That's almost doubling your pay in the last four years of work (well, 2.5 years of work if you count the year the park was closed).
That’s substantial pay increases for the cast . A TSA employee at Orlando International makes $18 per hour , during the nationwide Walgreens walk out a pharmacy tech walked off the job after 39 years currently making $19.16 in PA.

TrainsOfDisney

Theoretically, colleges have enough variability in schedules that college students would be good candidates. Or, if someone wanted to work while their kids are in school.
What do you think of the CP program? Would that be part of your solution? So CP’s running the whole place?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If someone chooses to stay in an entry level position their entire lives- that's their choice. But they also would need to accept that they might not have an amazing standard of living. It's 'entry level', so it makes sense it would only cover a basic standard of living.
This is the problem though, the current wages that are considered "minimum" for entry level jobs aren't covering the basic standards of living.

I would agree with this part- and I imagine most people do, we just have differences on the best way to go about this. Luckily, someone living in poverty today is far better off than someone living in poverty 50 years ago- so as a whole society is moving in the right direction.
I would agree that overall we're better than we were 50 years ago. But then again someone earning a minimum wage at an entry level job wouldn't be able to afford an apartment on their own. So in that respect things are worse.

For example 50 years ago in 1973 the minimum wage was $1.60 so would be ~$260/mo. The average cost of rent in CA for an apartment in 1973 was ~$126/mo. So while it would be tight a single person earning minimum wage in 1973 would be able to live. In 2023 that isn't the case. So yeah while some things are better other things are worse.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
For example what about a single working mother who already has to work two jobs in order to just to afford to have some place to live. She can't afford time nor the cost to go to school in order to better herself and also afford daycare, housing, food, etc.
You don't need school to advance beyond a job that can be taught in a few hours. When the person is doing the job for decades it's not a question of opportunity - it's an example of lack of action. Literally these people have managers that are just kids and their training is just what is learned inside the company. To still be doing that entry level job full time after so many years is all about that person.

Tell people you can get a good living doing the most basic job ... and many will settle to do so.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You don't need school to advance beyond a job that can be taught in a few hours. When the person is doing the job for decades it's not a question of opportunity - it's an example of lack of action. Literally these people have managers that are just kids and their training is just what is learned inside the company. To still be doing that entry level job full time after so many years is all about that person.

Tell people you can get a good living doing the most basic job ... and many will settle to do so.
I agree there are advancement opportunities within ones of place of employment. But some are just happy to do the basic job and not move up the corporate ladder. Some just don't have the drive. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be provided a wage that keeps up or is slightly ahead of cost of living and productivity increases.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
affordable housing and healthcare are the main issues that this country needs to address. If those things get fixed, wages don’t have to be so drastic.
Completely agree. I would add, as I mentioned before, other price controls to keep other goods and services costs down too, but housing and healthcare is a great place to start.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I meant affordable housing in the literal sense. Meaning all housing, including yours and mine, would be more affordable in general.
Agreed, there is no reason why a 3 bedroom 2 bath house needs to cost $1.5M just because of the zip code it sits in. Too many people bought into this idea of housing as investment instead of housing for housing, and that drove up the prices to astronomical levels.

Lilofan

Agreed, there is no reason why a 3 bedroom 2 bath house needs to cost $1.5M just because of the zip code it sits in. Too many people bought into this idea of housing as investment instead of housing for housing, and that drove up the prices to astronomical levels.
Austin locals nicknamed CA families “Austinfornians” moving to Austin TX in search of lower COL and finding it in TX , driving home prices way up there in TX.

Vegas Disney Fan

That’s substantial pay increases for the cast . A TSA employee at Orlando International makes $18 per hour , during the nationwide Walgreens walk out a pharmacy tech walked off the job after 39 years currently making $19.16 in PA.
Which highlights the problem of just endlessly increasing minimum wage without fixing the real problem, which is inflation, housing, etc. If McDonald’s starts paying $20 an hour the TSA has to increase their wages to entice people to work for them since it’s a more difficult job, pharmacies also need to raise their wages since it’s a job that requires years of formal training… everyone’s wages go up, it causes more inflation, rent goes up, prices go up, and the new $20 minimum wage just ends up having the same purchasing power as the old $15 wage. It’s a dog chasing his own tail.

SuddenStorm

What do you think of the CP program? Would that be part of your solution? So CP’s running the whole place?

The College Program is great! The people that sign up for it are typically huge fans of Disney, so they're oftentimes the kind of people you'd want in working the park, and they aren't there long enough to get jaded and cynical. And if they become jaded, they're gone in six months anyways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom