Disney Night Kingdom

Testtrack321

I hated the idea because it could be folded into an existing park and it's offerings MUCH better than a stand alone experience. Plus that park would thusly HAVE MORE TO DO! Expand Conservation Station or whatever it's called now to include this experience, put in new interactive displays and courses in existing lands, etc. It'd make AK way more special!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
*pictures Jer as a character on Family Guy*

------
"Well kids, this is worse than the time I poked that hippo with a stick at Disney World."

*flashback*

*animated Jer tiptoes up to sleeping hippo*

"Haha...watch this, everybody."

*hippo immediately swallows Jer from shoulders up, legs flailing and screaming*

"OHGODOHGODOHGODOHGOD MAKE IT STOP!!!! OHGOD IT'S EATING MY EYES!!!! I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SEA WORLD!!!"

*camera pans over to Mickey and Goofy*

Goofy: "Gawrsh, should we help him?"

Mickey [shrugging]: "Meh...he already paid."

*flash back to present shot outside Jer's house, jaunty music playing*
-------

Haha! well done! :lol::sohappy::ROFLOL:

Would your prefer a charge per poke or for a set of pokes?

For what they were rumoring to charge to get in... hell.. it better be "All you care to poke" :lol::lookaroun

JungleTrekFan

You know, I think it would be a good concept for a new experience at AK. But its certainly not a strong enough concept for its own park.

I was thinking the same thing. It could be like the behind the safari tour ( or what ever its called) thats already in existence, just need to add the feeding, special night or morning safari, and zip line (thru the northern unseen savanna so it wouldn't detract from the actual safari ride) to it. Ok only one of those even needs to be build, Pshh if i was disney i would have done this already

_Scar

South Park Mickey > Family guy Mickey...

just sayin'
(;

And I think they were going to charge well over 150. I want to say over 250, but I doubt it. I also wanted to say 300, but since I doubt 250 then I extremely doubt 300... but you never know. Point is: it was too expensive.

EPCOT Explorer

Mainly for the reasons mentioned above. Money better spent elsewhere. Creating another tier of guest who can afford it, well above the normal party night concept, which in itself is a touchy subject. Plus it was Rassulos pet project he wanted to be remembered by, and damn everything else. Like Eisner and the Institute. He trashed Lake Buena Vista for a personal crusade he liked personally so thought everyone else should like too.

Interesting. I wonder and hope for a better, abridged version. Would be nice, especially if they took the AC with it.

Liverstealer

Night Kingdom as a separate facility is more than likely dead. However, elements from that concept can certainly be integrated into DAK.

Think of it this way, with this Nightastic promotion coming up, the other parks are getting some new addition, yet all DAK gets is extended hours. Colglazier, the new VP has a desire for the park to be open later, yet the inherent problem with later hours at DAK is lack of things to do after sundown.

DAK is all about adventure and while animals are certainly the biggest part of that, experiences such as zip lines and rock climbing could carry on that theme after the sun goes down. I can tell you that allowing guests to feed hippos or some other animal encounter along those lines probably never was in the cards as it conflicts with DAK's animal care philosophy.

We can probably speculate and guess what's in store for Harambe and Anandapur til we're blue in the face, but the way things have been going, we probably shouldn't count on anything until we get an official press release, however far away that may be.

_Scar

Night Kingdom as a separate facility is more than likely dead. However, elements from that concept can certainly be integrated into DAK.

Think of it this way, with this Nightastic promotion coming up, the other parks are getting some new addition, yet all DAK gets is extended hours. Colglazier, the new VP has a desire for the park to be open later, yet the inherent problem with later hours at DAK is lack of things to do after sundown.

DAK is all about adventure and while animals are certainly the biggest part of that, experiences such as zip lines and rock climbing could carry on that theme after the sun goes down. I can tell you that allowing guests to feed hippos or some other animal encounter along those lines probably never was in the cards as it conflicts with DAK's animal care philosophy.

We can probably speculate and guess what's in store for Harambe and Anandapur til we're blue in the face, but the way things have been going, we probably shouldn't count on anything until we get an official press release, however far away that may be.

The whole eastern side of the park offers things to do at night. :shrug:

Wilt Dasney

That's what I'd like to see. With so much unused space on the safari, it would be cool to see these concepts implemented back there, if it would be possible to do it without too much disturbance to the animals.

I am going to WDW for my honeymoon this October, and I'd like to say that the only disappointing thing is that Disney does not have anything like Discovery cove on site. My fiance' and I plan on booking the dolphins in depth at Epcot, but spending $175 dollars a person for 20 mins with a dolphin is not nearly as satisfying as paying the shocking $400 to spend an entire day as a dolphin trainer with dolphins in Discovery Cove. If Disney brought some up close animal encounters to AK, you'd bet I'd be the first in line flashing the cash, and I'm sure I'd be joined by many.

As far as AK going against their philosophy in regards to animals, when I did the backstage safari tour, We got to pet a rhino, grant it he was in a pen, but we still touched him. I don't think any animal experience would truly go against disney's philosophy, it would help promote their philosophy by educating the public on the environment and the animals that live in it, so that people learn to respect it. :sohappy:

hazelrah

Don't be too quick to write this idea off as dead. It may not be the exact "Night Kingdom" concept that Jim Hill mentioned a couple years ago, but some of the signature elements were still being considered as recently as three weeks ago.

lazyboy97o

Doubt it.

Unfortunately it was the biggest news at the time of occurence and you'd have to be living under a rock not to hear the news. I bet it will be something remembered for a very long, long time. It's still a hot topic at my school- and nobody talks about theme parks. And I bet it will be in the JibJab video for 2010 and those specials in a decade looking over the year. :lol:

I think people will be hesitant about massive wild animals, but would Night Kingdom really bring guests in danger of wild animal attacks? No, doubt it.
I am willing to bet that nobody knows about any of the other deaths that have occurred outside of those specifically mentioned in the news in relation to this incident. This is not some slew of attacks across the world. It is one incident in a profession where such things do happen from time to time.

Wilt Dasney

What in the world are you talking about? You can't be talking about Kilimanjaro Safaris because there isn't anny available space in that attraction.
I was under the impression that KS covers more real estate than the entire MK. I would assume the ride track doesn't cover all of that, if true (although animal habitats might be a problem, as I pointed that).

If you have more reliable information, though, I'm happy to cede the point!

MarkTwain

A lot of people seem to hate this idea. What are the reasons, specifically?

I wasn't wild about it when it was being discussed, but I can't really say why other than being vaguely uncomfortable with the more exclusive nature of it...but that doesn't make a lot of sense, because most people can't afford to eat at V&A's either and it doesn't bother me having it there.

Basically I can't come up with a good reason for why I didn't like the idea, so I'm wondering if anybody else can. :lol:

I'll explain why I was less than fond of the idea when I first read about it on Jim Hill's website.

Although Night Kingdom as a concept is potentially the kind of expansion Disney might need (ie catering to the wealthy), it seemed like the wrong kind of expansion. I think it came down to the classic argument that Disney has so many problems and opportunities in its existing four parks that it shouldn't be wasting its resources building a fifth, much less one that very few people would actually get to use.

Second, I think there's a big difference in appeal between Night Kingdom and what was probably its inspiration, Discovery Cove. Discovery Cove can ultimately be boiled down to a single idea, one that could many people dream of doing at least once in their lives:

Swimming. With. Dolphins.

I'm not sure that there's any part of Night Kingdom that is so universally appealing. And I definitely had my doubts that this idea could justify its own park. Why not just expand the offerings in the existing parks to appeal to a more upper-crust clientele? Instead of ziplining over crocodiles and feeding hippos in a fifth theme park, why not zipline or feed hippos in the Animal Kingdom, once the park closes to most guests? And maybe at least some of these offerings could be opened to willing-to-pay guests during the daytime, and therefore expanding on that park's meager attraction count. This seems like a much more financially secure and less discriminating idea, IMO.

campdisney

This rumor came from Jim Hill's site -- and that site is not entirely reliable when it comes to big news type of info. Remember a few years back when he claimed an inside source revealed Disney had sewed up the theme park rights for Harry Potter? Um, whoops! Guess that was Universal insider in disguise. :shrug:

dreamfinder

I was under the impression that KS covers more real estate than the entire MK. I would assume the ride track doesn't cover all of that, if true (although animal habitats might be a problem, as I pointed that).

If you have more reliable information, though, I'm happy to cede the point!

I believe it is the habitats. Someone posted recently that there is a whole other savanna basically where animals get relocated to when needed, that guests never see. I think the specific case mentioned was when an animal was pregnant, the zebras get moved over as they have a habit of killing baby animals that annoy them.

EPCOT Explorer

Don't be too quick to write this idea off as dead. It may not be the exact "Night Kingdom" concept that Jim Hill mentioned a couple years ago, but some of the signature elements were still being considered as recently as three weeks ago.

In regards to it's own park or as a addition to another Kingdom?:lookaroun

I've gotten both..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom